2 comments

Horror Fiction Mystery

This story contains sensitive content

The smell of mildew filtered into my nose as I walked closer to where I needed to go. The thumping of the dryer was somewhat relaxing, the buzzing indicating it’s done on the other hand not so much. My hand reached into the dryer grabbing the warm clothing inside. I loved every minute of this part of laundry day. Feeling the fresh, clean, warm clothing touch my skin. Handful by handful placing them into my basket. 

“No, Jess I don’t believe that Hanna got a fucking invitation.” I sigh into the phone, balancing it between my shoulder and head.

“Why don’t you believe her?” Jess questions me, I could hear her stifle her laughter. 

“Because she fucking lies about everything. You remember the Greg.B and Molly.B fiasco?” I ask as I bend down to pick up my laundry basket. I quickly shift it to rest on my hip as my other hand moves back to hold my phone in place. One of the things I hated about living in my apartment building. The washers and dryers were in the basement, in addition, the damn machines always end up eating an extra 50 cents. Every time I complain to the Landlord but they always have something convenient for them.

“You’re still on that? How long ago was that even?” I could practically feel the eye roll from her.

“Come on. She knew I liked Greg! Everyone knew that we had a thing for each other we were practically dating already, and this bitch goes and tells Molly fucking Bennet that Greg liked her. After that, she got her claws into him and literally walked with him to each class so she could sit next to him making sure we rarely talked. Then she had the nerve to tell me to back off of her ‘man’ even when Greg and I were friends way before that! Damn psycho.” I vent, trying to express the frustration that I felt during that time. As time progressed I did grow dull to what emotions I felt during that time. She was still a pain.

“Hey, you got him in the end. Plus, it’s the red-heads that are a little on the crazy side.” With that we both chuckle. “So you don’t think she got one?”

“No. Hanna is Hanna and will try everything to get the spotlight or stir up some drama.” I spit as I heave the basket up and balance it on my hip. “Plus who throws a tea party once a year only inviting 5 new people who are never heard of again after they attend? Sounds pretty cultish if you ask me.” They really didn't go missing but according to the families of the people who were invited they changed, they weren’t the same person as before the party. 

“Come on Alice, aren’t you even a little curious to know what happens at the Hatters party? Why are the people who leave are so different?”

“Nope, because I don’t want to end up like them. You know what they say right? Curiosity killed the cat.” I point out finally escaping the specific smell that derives from a basement. 

“Oh, you’re such a bore. Even if you were invited?”

“Nope.” I responded by popping the ‘p’.

“Why not? Jefferson is hot. I wouldn’t mind going missing if it was by his hands.” Jess sighs out dreamily.

“Okay weirdo. Unlike you, I have a loving, intelligent, handsome husband at home.” I just smiled at him.

“Even with a man, you have to admit that Jefferson is an 11/10.” She sighs out happily, most likely imagining him. Jefferson was the typical tall, dark, mysterious, and handsome. Piercing dark brown eyes that could be argued to be black. Jefferson was the biggest mystery that’s overtaken the internet by storm. There’s barely any information on him which both makes him seem dangerous and desirable, a bad combination. 

“Careful Jess, your libido is showing.” I tease. Her crush has half of the population of New York City in the same boat. 

“I bet you haven’t gotten some either with little Ethan around.” Jess retorts. I lightly laughed at that while shaking my head, not that she could see. I reached the elevator and leaned against the wall watching the number go up. “Anyway, I got to go, Alice, work waits for no lady.”

“You’re a lady?” 

“Hardy har har, very funny. Bye Alice.”

“Bye Jess.”

With that, the elevator came to its stop on my floor. I heave a sigh as I walk into my small apartment. Clothes were strewn all over the place. It was a mess but with everything going on, neither Greg nor I found the time. 

“Honey?” His voice calls out sounding unsure as to who just entered. Reasonable reaction considering we weren’t in the best place in New York City.

“Yeah, yeah It’s me. Don’t worry I’m not some murderer.” I shout back putting the basket full of clothes on the counter. “How was he? Did he start fussing? If he did I have some-”

“Don’t worry, my love. I can handle our little man for a bit while you go do laundry.” Greg says while walking into the living room/kitchen. Little Ethan sat perched on Greg's arm cooking lightly at his father. 

“I know, I know…it’s just been…”I trail off. Everything has been…tough. Greg was always off working while I stayed home with Ethan. We each had our part,  sometimes it was just harder to sit back and be grounded.

“I’m sorry, I know you wanted to be a journalist. To go out there and dig up stories.”

“It’s not your fault. Who would’ve known that we would’ve been the 1% chance of the condom not being effective?” I try to brush it off. I try to tell myself that this is what’s best. I can see Greg believes my words. My humor, I may have gotten the man but sometimes I never truly believed that he was the right one. Greg was safe though. He was dependable, that’s all someone could want in a partner…right?

“Oh, you got mail,” Greg says, bouncing Ethan on his knee while pointing to the coffee table. Ethan turned his head to face me. As his cobalt blue eyes landed on me he immediately started to squirm in his father's arms. 

“Maaahmmm.”Ethan voices moving his tiny arms from playing with Gregs’ Chestnut hair to making grabby hands towards me.

“I think he wants you.” Greg chuckles. “What, you’d really choose your mother over me?” Greg says in mock hurt. I walk over swiftly taking Ethan out of Greg’s arms, immediately he stops fussing and relaxes. “That’s not fair little man.” Greg pouts watching us. 

“I did give birth to him.” I point out smiling down at Ethan.

“It took two to get you pregnant.”

“But I was the one who pushed something the size of a watermelon out of me with no epidural, thanks to someone’s granny-like driving.”

“Touche. You win.” He submits defeated while raising his hands in the air to show his surrendering. “I’ll go fold the laundry.” 

“That would be great,” I reply watching Greg move the basket into our bedroom. I maneuver my way around the apartment, stepping over baby toys before I reach the little playpen for Ethan. I gently place him down and walk over to the couch, sighing as I finally get to sit down. I look down at the mail and frown wondering who would send mail to me. I pick up the envelope to see no return address. Weird. An elegant wax stamp sealed the envelope. Weird. I slowly open it, pulling out a pure black card. In graceful calligraphy, resembling writing as if done with a quill:


You are cordially invited to the Hatter’s tea party, Ms.Briar. 

We are looking forward to seeing you there. 

Black and white attire

15 Hudson Yards Penthouse 88B

May, 16, 2015 6:oo p.m

“We’re all mad here”

-The Hatter

What. 

The. 

Absolute. 

Fuck.

***

“I swear. I-I don’t even know why I got one. Or how they knew my Maiden name.” I speak into the phone. I was so happy that Greg was out and my parents took Ethan for a bit because I would be seen as crazy.

“It’s what they do. It’s best if you don’t ask questions and just accept this. I can't believe this. My best friend just got invited to the most exclusive party!” Jess squeals.

“But why shouldn’t I ask questions? Doesn’t this just seem too…weird?”

“Try awesome! You are so lucky. You have to promise me to spill the tea as soon as you get home. Ha! tea pun. Wait, you are going right?”

“Yeah.” I say smiling, holding in my laugh.

“Really?”

“No. I’m not going to the weird tea party thrown by Jefferson.” 

“Just…think about it. When you leave the party you can write an article on what goes on behind the closed doors at that party. Think about how famous you’ll become with a story like that published?” I knew exactly what Jess was trying to do.  I do hate to admit that the thought had crossed my mind.  Publishing something, writing a story got my blood rushing in excitement.

“You know I can’t. I have responsibilities now.” I try to reason, although it sounded more like I was trying to make excuses,  more so for my benefit than for anything else.

“This might be your only chance to get your foot in the door. I mean how often does this opportunity happen to someone? It’s like a golden ticket, are you really going to pass this opportunity up?” She continues. “Plus, it’s only a night.”

“Even if I did decide to go, what would I wear? The party is literally in 5 hours.” I point out. My reasons for not attending were getting weaker.

“Go to Chole and Resee and ask for Josie. She’ll help you find a dress, just tell her you know me, after going to Salon Ruggei, Elijah will help with your rat’s nest on top of your head.” She speaks quickly.

“Why does it seem like you have all of this planned?” I ask suspiciously.

“It wasn’t.” Jess defends, I could practically hear the suppressed smile.

“Why don’t I believe you?” I ask.

“I don’t know why? I’m so trusting.” Jess chuckles, I join in as well. Knowing her, she probably did have everything planned.

“Goodbye Jess.” 

“Bye, Alice. Remember to tell me about Mr.Dreamy.” She sighs. Mr.Dreamy aka: Jefferson, the most eligible bachelor who everyone wants a bite of.

***

The place was as extravagant as one would expect from someone who could afford an apartment at the Hudson Yard. It was strange, to say the least. Clusters of men and women all dressed elegantly weaved through the place. Not a speck of dust in the room or wrinkle on anyone's dresses or suits. Music played lightly in the background as some couples danced across the open floor.  This did not seem like any tea party that I ever read about.  This was far more grandeur than anything I could imagine. If this isn’t a front, then why hide behind the mask of an exclusive tea party? 

I swiftly try to maneuver myself around the dance floor, trying to move for some of the exits, digging deeper meant snooping. As I sidestep the couples, a set of hands grab my hips pulling me. I spin in their grip and come face to face with a stranger.

“I’m assuming you’re new here?” A crooked grin adorning the good-looking man. He leads us dancing along with the music. In a mere second of looking into his dark eyes, I knew who this was. Jefferson Hatter. 

“And why would you say that?” I smirk copying his movements while slightly leading us to one of the doors breaking off from the party. Quickly Jefferson smiled, showing his dazzling smile, and spun me quickly. As I spun I saw him stick his foot out a little causing me to trip and crash into his chest. “Not much of a dancer are you?”

“You’re not much of a gentleman,” I reply glaring at his amused smile. “Besides I didn’t come here for dancing or the company Mr.Hatter.”

“Then what did you come for?” He questions, his head tilting to the side causing some of his hair to fall into his eyes. 

“Who in their right mind would miss out on free food and a night of luxury?” 

“I suppose that’s a reasonable answer, although something is telling me that’s not all.”

“I’m not sure I know what you mean,” I say playing dumb, slightly looking for an escape from this situation. 

“Well…this party on the surface is all glamor and enchantment but…”Jefferson says while slowly leaning in. His breath hits my ear causing goosebumps to rise. “Underneath it all is something that people like you crave.”

“And what’s that?”

“It varies. People crave an adventure, the money, the power, sex. Either way they crave to release the darkness that’s locked away in them. I’ll see you later Ms. Alice Birar.” With that he bows and walks away soundlessly leaving me to watch. I quickly shake my head from everything and turn towards my goal. The ebony door was closed while its golden knob began to turn. My heels lightly click on the polished floor, slowly my eyes scan the area to make sure that no one is watching before I slip into the darkened room. 

An office.

I can work with that. My hands nimbly trace the spines of books, the leathery texture, and scent enveloping my senses. My eyes focus onto the desk centered in the back of the room. Open books and papers litter it, covering the wooden surface. My eyes scan over the readings.

Asmodeus Awakening

Prepare for the Judgment

Hebrew rituals

Sacrificial offerings

Demon of Sensuality and Luxury Summoning

How to Please Asmodeus

My phone flashes as I take pictures of all of the books and writings that were spread out. The hairs on my skin rise as I think about why no one ever comes back from these parties the same? Ice floods my veins as the relaxation of this party doing something cultish hits me. I need to get out of here. I stuff my phone into the pockets hidden inside of the dress and sneak back into the party casually. I always remembered that if you’re trying to be inconspicuous then one shouldn’t make quick movements. I glide back across the floor.

5 meters.

I get closer and closer. Drunken cheers echo around me. Everyone was complacent, enjoying everything, not knowing, or caring about what lurks in the shadows of the party.

3 meters.

The music sounds far away now as my eyes focus on the exit. My escape.

1 meter.

So close. I just need to reach out--

“Can I gather everyone’s attention?” A voice calls out. Jefferson’s eyes scan the room, calculating his next moves. His eyes stop as they land on me.

2 feet. 

My hand was hovering on the door handle and then I froze. I could feel the blood rushing into my ears. At this moment in time I truly understood why people argue over his eyes being black, they were dark holding promises of lethality. 

“Let the party commence.”


January 15, 2022 01:14

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Debbie Barrett
06:56 Jan 20, 2022

OMG! I need to know what happens next!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
22:18 Jan 19, 2022

...part 2? Please :)

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.