13 comments

Kids

“Hi”

“Hi”

“It’s um, nice to meet you…”

“Yeah, you too. What’s your name?”

“Crystal, but most people call me Cris. At least my friends do anyway. What’s yours?

“Pennelope. But, my friends call me Penny.” I said, wiping my sweaty hands on my jeans. Crystal has long white-blonde hair and icy blue eyes. I feel plain in my blue jeans and yellow sweater compared to her lacy white romper. She smiles at me.

“So what are you doing to study for Mikel’s test?”

“Oh. Ugh, Mr.Mikels gives tests at the worst times. I have a dentist appointment tomorrow. I guess I’ll have to redo it.” I tell her. I mean honestly, Mr.Mikels seriously thinks school is life.

“Don’t worry, I’ll give you answers,”she winks. I smile. Looks like I made a friend. Ring Ring Ring.

Lunch time! Yay!

“So, do you pack or buy?” I ask her hopefully. I buy lunch and I really hope she does too so I don’t have to wait in line alone. 

“Buy. ugh, school lunch is the worst.”

“Agreed.” We start walking towards the lunchroom., making random conversation along the way. 

“So,”she asks, “what’s your favorite color?”

“Yellow, definitely,”I say without hesitation.”You”

“Hmmmm, I’d have to say either orange or red,”she replies.

“Really? I was thinking you’d like blue or white. You don’t strike me as the summer type,”

“Hey, don’t judge a book by it’s cover!” We arrive at the lunch line that is as usual, more than a mile long. By the time it’s our turn, it feels like I already know everything about her, from her fear of spiders to her love of astrology. We walk side by side to the nearest empty table and plop down.

“You know what? This pizza isn’t that bad.”I say, taking a bite of the pizza. She cautiously chews her own.

“Oh my god your right!” she exclaims,”For the first time in forever!”she starts to sing in the Frozen song’s tune. Oh my god! I want to yell at her to shut up so people will stop looking at us, but at the same time I can’t stop laughing!

“I cannot believe you just did that!”

“Well you better believe it! I’m about as crazy as it gets!” she says between chews.

“It’s funny, I didn’t take you for the outgoing type,”

“Well, I didn’t take you for the shy kind,and yet, here is the reality we live in!” That’s not very nice! I’m not shy!

“I am not shy! I can be very outgoing when I want to be!”

“Oh really? Then go talk to Lucas. I saw you looking at him in the lunch line,” she says accusingly. Ugh, she noticed??

“Fine. If that’s what it takes to prove to you how outgoing I am,” I say, for some reason feeling like I need to prove myself to her. I take a deep breath and walk up to Lucas. 

“Hey Lucas, I was just wondering if you wanted to study together for the math test sometime after school,” I say cooly. At least I hope it was cool.

“Hey Penny, sure, here’s my snap,” he says, ripping a piece of paper out of his sketchbook and scribbling something down on it before handing it to me. I smile and take the paper before walking away. As soon as I’m back to Crystal, I see she’s practically squealing.

“Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god!!!! I saw that!!!”she says, out of her seat now.

“Please, that was nothing. You should see my other many outgoing acts,” I tell her laughing as she hugs me. But really, who knew I had it in me?

“Mmhmm, have fun on your study date!”

“It is not a date! It is merely studying!” I say, but I can’t keep the smile off my face . Is it a date? Did I really just get a date with Lucas?

Ring Ring Ring.

And, lunch is over.

“What class do you have next Penny?”

“Art, you?”

“Same! How did I never notice you with your hair!”she says. I laugh.Everyone always says my orange hair sets me apart from a crowd.

“Look who’s talking Miss Sky eyes!” I tell her. It really is true. Her eyes are such a deep blue, it’s like they’re looking through my soul. I like them though. They’re sparkling with ambition.

“Ha-ha. Looks like we have nicknames for eachother now, Ginger!”

“Ginger!? Fine, Miss Blue!” I say, and we quickly shuffle off to art.

Ring Ring Ring.

Oh no! We’re late! Mrs. Ainsworth is really going to kill us now. We try to quietly walk in the room , but even her old lady ears hear everything.

“Ms. Taylor, Ms. Hemsworth, nice of you to join us. Please have a seat.” Mrs. Ainsworth says. Crystal and I quickly run to our seats. Wait a minute! Is Lucas in the seat next to mine? I never knew! Of course, Ainsworth is always switching people around. I walk to my seat and catch eye contact with Crystal. Her eyes go wide and she starts making kissy faces and forming hearts with her hands at me. I roll my eyes but laugh.

“Is there something that’s funny about the history of art, Ms.Hemsworth? Please share with the class.” Mrs. Ainsworth says. The whole class looks at me. Whatever.

“Well, I just found it funny that…” I quickly look to the board and skim some of the bullet points on the current slide.”I found it funny that cavemen used to only paint animals, but then started drawing humans hunting animals. It’s just funny to me because technically humans are actually animals, so that information isn’t really accurate. They always drew only animals,”Lucas looks at me and raises his eyebrows in awe. Nice one, he mouths. I smile at him. Mrs. Ainsworth is speechless and just continues with the lesson.After class, Crystal comes up to me and hands me a paper.

“We don’t have any classes together for the rest of the day, so here’s my number. Call me!” she says as she walks out. I smile. I am definitely calling her. She won’t believe what Lucas did! Even if it was just two words. I quickly gather all my things and make my way out the door. I have no idea how I’m going to manage waiting to tell Crystal, but I’ll just have to contain myself…


The End


May 08, 2020 16:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

13 comments

16:00 Jun 27, 2020

I really liked this story! It was really cute, especially the whole Lucas situation. I'm a sucker for romance. (; Keep writing and stay healthy! :) -Brooke

Reply

Amany Sayed
17:17 Jun 27, 2020

Glad you liked it! Me too :) You as well!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Wow! Wow! Wow! This 👏 was 👏 awesome! I actually think I read this a while back, but whatever. I loved this story! This was a quick, relatable story that kept me engaged the whole time. The characters feel so real and I love the writing. Sadly, this is the end of my Amany’-older-stories marathon. All the rest I’ve already read and liked. Do you know what this means? YOU HAFTA WRITE MOOOOOORE! Seriously, you’re such a good author! The moral of this marathon is that you’re even better a writer than I thigh that you were (and I...

Reply

Amany Sayed
23:07 Aug 07, 2020

Thanks again for doing this Aerin! Finishing a story as we speak... :) THANK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Reply

Yay! Again, no problem! Love reading your stories!

Reply

Amany Sayed
23:50 Aug 07, 2020

The same goes for you! :)

Reply

Thank you!!! 🤩🤩🤩

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Pragya Rathore
03:53 Jun 02, 2020

Wow! That was amazing.... Well done! Please review my stories too...

Reply

Show 0 replies
19:55 Aug 13, 2020

Nice story!!!

Reply

Amany Sayed
19:58 Aug 13, 2020

Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Coco Longstaff
23:40 Jan 02, 2021

Wow! I like it! I guess some people can be really different from what you think! I love how some people can be instant friends! Nice job!

Reply

Amany Sayed
18:40 Jan 03, 2021

Thank you so much!

Reply

Coco Longstaff
22:07 Jan 03, 2021

You’re welcome!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.