Raymone Generator

Written in response to: Set your story at the boundary between two realms.... view prompt

13 comments

Science Fiction High School Friendship

Story no#12! I wrote this long ago, but, was nervous to post here. 😁

Hope you like it! Please leave your valuable feedback. (Criticisms are welcome. I guess I'm kinda thick-skinned 😄)

Sorry again, story not related to the prompt!


***


“Please, Sir. I'm sure I can do it. Just trust me,” Mickey pleaded as she swerved through the crowd, following the principal, Mr. Raymone Parker. Her face is obscured by the heavy box she's been carrying in her arms. Her coffee brown eyes shone as usual, but eye bags were clearly visible beneath her eyes, and tiredness was radiating from her face.


The middle-aged blonde man was attempting to ignore her. But she wasn't about to give up so easily. Mr. Parker made his way to his office, pausing occasionally to greet his colleagues or students at his school.


“For goodness sake, Mikayla, please leave me alone!” Mr. Parker yelled, clearly irritated by the Senior year student. He plopped himself down in his rotating cushioned chair, pretending to read some important files in the hopes that Mickey would leave.


Mikayla Parker, that's her name. She is not your stereotypical high schooler, as depicted in films and novels. Even though she is not as perfect or as stunning as those fictional characters, she is gifted with intelligence; she is an excellent engineer.


When all of her friends were binge-watching Netflix or gossiping, she was fixing whatever she could get her hands on. She's always wanted to represent her school at the Michael Faraday National Science Expo. She almost made it into the expo the year before, but she was disqualified due to a rookie error on her part.


The Science Expo is being held this year as well, and she was certain that she would not make a mistake this time. However, persuading others, particularly her uncle; the school's principal, is a herculean task, and she lacked experience in that.


“Can't you do a small favor for your only niece, Uncle Ray?” she pleaded, as she placed the heavy box on the table and wiped the dust from her hands on her school sports jersey.


He straightened in his seat, as he adjusted his reading glasses, “First and foremost, I and the entire school do not want to be embarrassed in front of the public again because of you. We both got in a lot of trouble the last time I let you participate. And the second thing is that I will not favor you simply because you are my niece. That is, in fact, bias.”


“Okay, just think of me as a regular student. Why can't you let me participate?” asked Mickey.


“I don’t think I have to explain the reason to you, Miss Parker,” Mr. Parker added sternly.


“I'm sure you'll say Y-E-S to this,” she started unpacking the dusty box. She used all her strength and lifted something large and heavy from it.


“Whatever you do, Mickey, only one word will come out of my mouth, and it is not the word you want to hear,” he said while trying hard not to show his anxiety and curiosity.


“You know what, Uncle? I named this electric generator after you!” Mickey exclaimed excitedly as she pointed at the yellow sticky-note stuck on the electric generator she built herself.


The label said: Raymone Generator


Mr. Parker couldn't keep his excitement from showing. Nobody had ever named anything after him, and it was a proud moment for him, both as the principal of the school and as Mickey's uncle.


“Let's see how this goes!” She exclaimed as she sneezed while dusting the machine's cover with a towel. She ignored the sneeze and continued to assemble the generator, ready to start it up.


“The main feature of this generator is that it can be used on a large scale, and it can also run on any renewable energy available. The initial cost will be high, but after that, the maintenance cost will be minimal,” she explained, gesticulating with her hands and then resting her elbow on the top of the generator.


But, poor Mikayla, forgot she had primary hyperhidrosis, which meant she sweated a lot even when she wasn't doing anything physical. And she was so preoccupied with explaining the generator that she didn't notice sweat dripping from her palm, down her elbow, and into the machine through the vent.


Sparks started to appear inside the generator and the smell of something burning was coming out of the generator.


“It's not supposed to do that, but whatever. I'm pretty sure this will blow your mind,” Mickey shrugged.


When she felt like something was burning on her wrist, she noticed a small fire spark on her sleeve. That’s when she realized what she had caused and what trouble she’ll be in because of that.


“No, no, no, no, no!” she panicked as she tapped on the fire spark on her sleeve, putting the spark off. She grabbed the fire extinguisher which was mounted on the wall for emergencies.


“Uncle Ray, cover your mouth and move away!”


She breaks the seal of the extinguisher, just after covering her mouth too. She pointed it at the generator, and squeezed it. The extinguishing agent filled in the air, blinding Mr. Parker’s sight. Mickey recalls getting training to put out the fire the previous year in the Disaster Response class. The fire spark was put out and smoke cleared and Mr. Parker was able to see again.


“Mikayla Lesley Parker, you'd better get out of here before you get your first dete-”


As the air got cleared, Mr. Parker noticed that Mikayla and the electric generator both had disappeared.


Mickey’s POV


I was knocked to the ground with a zap by an invisible portal that appeared out of nowhere. I massaged my aching ankles, hoping to alleviate the pain. I wiped the dust from her arms and legs and slowly stood up. I looked around, hoping no one noticed my teleportation. Having the ability to teleport did not help me save the world or fight a supervillain and save mankind from them, or anything else important.


However, it came in handy when I was in trouble. The last time I teleported, a sophomore year student noticed me, and I and my bestie, Timmy, had so much trouble explaining that she was just hallucinating things and we advised her to go see a doctor.


Whew! No one saw me. I started to walk to the canteen, to meet with my friends. I walked into the canteen.


“Ahoy, matey! Again in trouble?”


I knew who it was. Timothy Ramone-Reynoso. My bestie. I got a feeling that he was smirking as usual. I sat down on a bench, beside him, but not looking at his face. I covered my face with my hand, letting out a deep sigh in exasperation.


I mumbled in my hands, “How’d you know that?”


“Duh, cause, you only teleport when you get in trouble,” He mumbled as if it was obvious. Very well, Timmy! I’m already annoyed, now you’re annoying me more!


“Very funny. Hahahaha,” I added, sarcastically, as I turned my head to face him.


“Don’t worry, I’m the only one who saw you teleport,” I rolled my eyes as he chuckled


"So, how did it go with your Uncle Ray?" he asked, just before waving at a random student.


"Everything good other than that I was inches away from blasting myself, my uncle, and his office," I say, sighing.


"Hey, don’t worry, Mickey! You deserve to be there at the Expo. And, if you deserve to, you’ll of course be there," he says, smiling.


"I hope your words will turn out to be true," I smile back.


That's when I realised that I shouldn't have said that to him. Because the next thing he did was that he smirked at me and said, "My words always come true, hun,"


Before I could roll my eyes, he ranted, in a single breath, "If you roll your eyes all the time, your eyes will get stuck in your head and you know what will happen next. Your uncle Ray will make my life a living hell saying I made his loving, sweet niece blind. And I don’t want that to happen,"


We break into fits of laughter, ignoring everyone in the canteen staring at us as if we were crazy, "Only if you stop smirking everytime I say something," I say. "Let’s go get something to drink!"


We started walking and Timmy said, trying to annoy me, "Sure, I know that you mean bubble tea by ‘something',"


"What do you want?" I ignore his comment.


"You know, my usual,"


"Ένα μεσαίο Bubble τσάι και ένα μεσαίο Americano, παρακαλώ!" I ask the barista, who is also Greek like I am.


"O-M-G, girl! It’s been more than 3 years since I started learning Greek, and I cannot even pronounce a word properly," Timmy exclaimes.


"It’s in my blood, Timmy boy," I smile, mischievously.


"Ορίστε, καλή μέρα!" The barista says, smiling and I grab my bubble tea and Timmy, his Americano.


"Ευχαριστώ!" I exclaimed.


"You know what?"


"What?" I asked as I stuck the thick straw in my glass and started sipping bubble tea.


"Did Faraday rise from death and you talked to him? I’ve always wanted to talk to him and ask him more about his inventions and... yeah, also show my generator, he’ll -" I asked in a single breath, my eyes widening.


"No," he says, blankly.


"Uh, okay...Did Marshmello himself reveal that he is Christopher Comstock?"


"Nah," He sips his americano and says.


"Then, what?" I ask, cocking my head, confused, "Did Starbucks release their new range of Bubble Tea? Amen to Bubble Tea and Starbucks! I wouldn’t have survived without this bad boy," I pointed at my bubble tea.


"No, no, no, dude. Something more interesting, any guesses?"


Awkward Silence...


"I got a date for the prom!" he exclaimed, like an overjoyed toddler.


"Congrats, dude! Who’s the chosen one? The lucky girl?" I ask, wiggling my eyebrows.


"It’s more like I’m the lucky one, cause she’s the one who asked me out," he says, scratching the back of his neck, blushing a bit.


"Woah, we’re glad that you found someone braver than you!"


We turned around to see that it was Aidan and Nadia, the twins; the real-life Fred and George.


"γεια, Parker!" Aidan exclaimed, adjusting the Nike cap, on his strawberry blonde hair.


"Yo, what’s up, Mick?" Nadia says, smiling.


I lean in to Nadia for a hug, "Hey, Addie, and Nad! Yeah, great cause I was inches away from blasting myself, my stubborn uncle, and his goddamn office. Nevermind,"


"Today, we had so much fun," Aidan said.


"Yeah," The brunette high-fived her brother, laughing.



That's when I saw the time, it was getting late and I had to fix my generator as soon as possible, "Gotta go. Bye, guys!!" I say, picking up the generator and walking away.


"Good Luck, Bubble!" I heard Aiden yell.


"Thanks!" I yell back.


I stop infront of the notice board, gazing at the Michael Faraday National Science Expo.


"Let's do this, Mikayla!" I mumbled to myself, determined.


***

Translations:


Ένα μεσαίο Bubble τσάι και ένα μεσαίο Americano, παρακαλώ- A medium Bubble tea and a medium Americano, please

Ορίστε, καλή μέρα- Here you go, good day

Ευχαριστώ- Thanks

γεια- Hello



October 27, 2021 04:30

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

13 comments

Dhwani Jain
14:20 Nov 19, 2021

Thank you so very much to mention me in your bio! I am eternally grateful!!! 🥰🥰

Reply

Ash S
15:06 Dec 08, 2021

♥️ No worries! 😊 P.S: https://blog.reedsy.com/short-story/pwyoqp/ ✨does happy dance ✨ I'm back!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Dhwani Jain
12:48 Nov 15, 2021

Hello all! https://wp.me/pd3y1A-fD Please check out my latest post, THE VIRUS, YOU AND ME, a podcast. I hope you all enjoy it as much as I did writing it! Dhwani Jain Dream DJ {https://djdhwanijain.wordpress.com/}

Reply

Show 0 replies
Maraika!!! 😎
22:48 Nov 13, 2021

Hey ash! How have you been doing? Haven't heard from you in a while.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Dhwani Jain
05:53 Nov 09, 2021

Bio updated!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Unknown User
20:02 Nov 28, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 0 replies
Unknown User
08:02 Nov 05, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

Ash S
07:02 Nov 07, 2021

Thank you for pointing out! I've replaced the word. I'm super glad that you loved the plot and the character Mikayla!! ❤️🥰

Reply

Unknown User
21:04 Nov 08, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
08:04 Nov 05, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

Ash S
13:40 Nov 05, 2021

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BeT5iwkZWVxyBtN2h2c9QYddZwNqZWlkfwT72fE5TL8/edit?usp=drivesdk

Reply

Unknown User
18:12 Nov 05, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

Ash S
02:20 Nov 06, 2021

Yay!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.