4 comments

General

    You awoke this morning with a heavy heart. It was a year ago today you lost your beloved Aunt Susie.  You were awfully close to her and you missed her every day. She was like a second mother to you. You lost your biological mother as a child. It had just been you, dad, and sweet Aunt Susie. You were thinking about the impact and joy she bought into your life. 

    Not only is this the day you lost Aunt Susie, it is also both your birthday and Aunt Susie’s. You two always met to celebrate together. It had become an important tradition to the two of you. You get out of bed and prepare yourself for the day ahead. You know it will be challenging to get through this day.  You get dressed and fix your morning coffee.  After finishing your coffee, you head off to work still thinking about Aunt Susie.

    You are not looking forward to working with so much on your mind. Everyone there knew Aunt Susie. She was very well liked, and they always talked about her. You co-workers always made a big deal about your birthdays. Today was different no one said a word about your birthday or Aunt Susie. Did they feel sorry for you? Did they forget? You doubted that. What was going on with everybody. It was just business as usual.

  On your way home you thought it was strange that no one wished you a Happy Birthday. Your feelings were hurt. Was it going to be like this from now on?   The drive home seemed exceptionally long today. You just kept thinking about how no one said anything and how much you missed Aunt Susie.  

     When you arrive home you go out to check your mailbox. You could not believe what you were seeing. There was a letter from your beloved Aunt Susie. “How could this be?”, you thought. This is not possible. She is dead. How on earth could she write me a letter? You think someone is playing a cruel prank on you. 

    You take the letter inside and ponder this mystery. You debated on whether to open the letter or not. What would it say? You thought back on the last few months you were around her. She had become very withdrawn from you and the entire family. Then she suddenly disappeared. No one knew anything until a lawyer called to tell you that she had died. You thought you had done something wrong.  What if the letter revealed that she was mad at you for some reason? You could not tell her you were sorry and that you loved her so much.

    Nervously, you open the letter and begin to read. It read as follows:

      “My dearest niece it with mixed emotions that I write this letter. I have just found out that I am extremely sick and that it will cause me severe cognitive issues and they do not give me much time to live. I do not want to burden you or the family. I want you all to remember me the way I was in life. Remember the happy and positive things we did together. Keep them in your heart always. Please do not be upset with me or sad. I am making arrangements for my care with an assistive living facility out of state. I also have a lawyer to help me carry out my final wishes. I have instructed him to mail this letter, so you receive it on our birthday. I want you to know that I am always with you. Please try to understand. I could not miss your birthday. You were the best birthday gift I ever received. Take care of yourself and be strong. Remember, I will be waiting for you on Rainbow Bridge. We can catch up then. I am sending you my eternal love. Love always, until we meet again. Love Aunt Susie.”

    As you finish reading the letter, tears roll down your cheek. You began to think about your dad and how he must be feeling as well. You thought it strange that he had not called you yet today either. He was usually the first one to call you. Just as you were about to call him, your phone rings and it is your dad. 

    Your dad asked if you could come over and have dinner with him. You were glad to hear from him and left right away. You were excited to see your dad, yet you knew you wanted to discuss the letter with him as well.

    As you arrived at your dad’s, you noticed that the house was dark looking except for the kitchen light. You think, yeah that’s typical dad never cutting a lot of lights on. You get out of the car, go up to the house and ring the doorbell. Dad answered the door. As he cut on the lights there was a loud “Surprise”.

      The room was filled with friends from work and the neighborhood. You can not believe what you are seeing. Dad never had any surprise parties, why now. You begin to mingle with you co-workers. You told them they really fooled you. They all said they would not have missed this party for anything.

    After singing, “Happy Birthday” and eating. Dad went into the kitchen. He came out with a letter and a small box. He had gotten a letter from Aunt Susie as well. As you look around the room everyone was pulling out a letter. Each of them had received a letter telling them to make this the best birthday for you in her honor.

   You are flabbergasted. Tears of joy filled your heart. There was still that box. What on earth could it be. Dad brought the box over to you and told you Aunt Susie had sent it. 

    Excitedly, you open the box. It was her birthstone ring. You always admired it. It had two hearts intwined with the birthstone in the middle. Aunt Susie had it made soon after you were born. It represented the eternal love and bond that the two of you would share. 

    You are filled with joy. You put on your Aunt Susie’s ring. It was a perfect fit. You were filled with such peace in your heart. This could not have been a better birthday.

    After the party, you go home and think about the day. You started out feeling so sad. Now you could not be happier. Even though you still miss Aunt Susie, you are in a better state of mind. You thought of Aunt Susie’s words, “until we meet again” as you drifted off into a deep sleep.

June 23, 2020 18:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Amelia Sheldon
17:46 Jul 03, 2020

This story is tightly plotted and I enjoyed reading it. The element of surprise that was woven into such a touching story adds an interesting counterpoint to the piece. It is impressive how in so few words, the writer is able to complete the arc of story in a style that feels natural and unrushed. What I am curious to see are more details, or vignettes perhaps, that highlight the connection between the narrator and Aunt Susie. I want to be able to witness a few of the special moments with them that created this bond they had.

Reply

Cathy Deal
14:43 Jul 05, 2020

Thank you for the feedback. I appreciate it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Elle Clark
18:10 Jun 29, 2020

This is so lovely! What a touching story.

Reply

Cathy Deal
14:42 Jul 05, 2020

Thank you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.