37 comments

Fantasy Fiction

Your tea is tolerable? Can I get you anything else? No? Good. You’ve come to ask Aunty about Baba Yaga. Sit. Sip. Have a biscuit. I will tell you what I know, but you mustn’t be upset with me when you hear it. Promise? Very well.

Do not be fooled. She has chosen the façade of the homo sapiens species, but she is not one of us. Ancient, cunning and cruel, Baba Yaga is the world’s first witch.

She has been the subject of much speculation and the source of countless stories over the centuries, though many of them are outrageous and egregiously erroneous, you must understand. I imagine you have looked up her Wikipedia page? Really? Well, then let me tell you there’s no need.

How old, you wonder? I didn’t say old. I said ancient.

She conducted symphonies in the wild storms of infant Earth and danced across the rise and fall of molten rock in the roiling seas. She witnessed the birth of greenery and coaxed critters from the water to dry land. She beheld the making and the breaking of Pangea and the birth and extinction of many mighty beasts. She drifted through Jurassic jungles and blew across glaciers. She lived amongst the tigers and the dragons, the hobbits and the Neanderthals. She whispered the secret of fire in man’s ear and gifted him the spear.

All this I can only assume, of course. There is no knowing Baba Yaga. It is not within the realm of human capability to understand an entity so far beyond our memory.

What I do know, is that at some point after the migration of man, Baba Yaga settled down in the deep dark forests of Eastern Europe. She built herself a mobile home that, by some malicious magic, grew a pair of chicken legs. Do not scoff! It is true - I have seen them! And over the last few thousand years—a blink of time to Baba Yaga!—she has been travelling the trees, eating children, devouring young men, leading lost strangers to their doom, mixing poisonous potions, and counselling many of history’s finest and most infamous witches. 

Stepmothers with mirrors, faeries with spinning needles, old ladies in edible huts. Baba Yaga was their mother, grandmother, friend, advisor, and champion. She sought them out young, kindled their cruelty, and then cackled in delight at their demise. Crushed by boulders, consumed by hellfire, shoved into their own ovens…Baba Yaga found great humour in her proud protégés’ inability to overcome pretty girls, little children, and handsome heroes. You can thank her for that book of fairy tales I read to you as a girl, even more so than those silly brothers who wrote them.  

Now, here we are, in the twenty-first century. I think we can thank our lucky stars that Baba Yaga has not taken on any apprentices for some time—as far as we know anyways. Why? I can only speculate. Maybe she got bored with it. Maybe she’s simply annoyed with us. We’ve cut down her forests, and there are less places for her chicken house to hide. I gather that is why she has moved into the city and now lives in plain sight.

Yes, here, in Prague. Go look for yourself. Out the window. To the right. Your other right, my darling. That house down the street, that one on the corner—green and brown, windows milky with mist and caked with dirt, dried herbs and headless chickens dangling above the crooked door—that’s Baba Yaga’s house. It could stand up on its chicken legs at any moment now, right before your eyes, and walk away. Don’t worry, I don’t think it will. Please remove your nose from the glass. You’ve left a smudge. Come, sit.

I’m sure you’ve seen her around town. She shuffles through the streets in the disguise of human decay. She wears many layers and orthopedic shoes and blocky sunglasses over her bifocals. Her long hooked nose sprouts dark stubble and hangs over a permanent grimacing grin. Behind stretched thin lips, her teeth are yellow and spotty, and clack around a forked tongue, black as coal. She keeps her hood pulled up to hide stark white hair that, when unbound, cascades in waves of moonlight to the ground.

It is beautiful hair, yes, but do not forget everything else I’ve just told you in regards to her merciless nature! You would do well to be afraid. When you see her, do not cross her. You must not anger her. Best to avoid any interaction at all. Avert your eyes and cross the street when you see her hunched and hobbling toward you. Although Baba Yaga and I have come to an understanding, she’s easily irritated, and once she raises a gnarled finger in your direction, you will find yourself compelled to visit the chicken house down on the corner. I do not know what would happen to you—and I never want to find out—but I do know that those who go in never come back out.

No, my dear girl, I do not believe you will find your young man, not now that he’s crossed her threshold. Yes, I did ask him to inquire with her about some herbs. Remember how I said Baba Yaga and I have an understanding? One that keeps us safe. Keeps you safe. It’s a promise I made to your parents before their passing, and I intend to see it through. As long as we continue to keep her satisfied, and you are mindful to keep away, we will live in perfect harmony with our witchy neighbor. 

Oh my dear. You promised you wouldn’t be upset. I am terribly sorry for your loss, although to be quite frank my darling, he was truly – what would you call it? A dud. You mustn’t weep. Other fish, and all that. No, I won’t send all of them to Baba Yaga’s door. I’ve promised her your firstborn as well, when it arrives. More tea?

January 30, 2021 17:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

37 comments

Nancy Drayce
17:38 Jan 30, 2021

Such an interesting story!! As soon as I read 'Eastern Europe' I googled 'Baba Yaga' and found out she is from Slavic mythology which is very interesting to me because I am from Southeastern Europe! I am so glad that I learned about this! Thank you for that!! 💜🌟 And I have to say, amazingly written story!!

Reply

Christina Marie
17:45 Jan 30, 2021

Thanks for reading :) she is such an interesting folklore character, and I had a lot of fun with this one. So glad you enjoyed!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kylie Rudolf
17:44 Feb 10, 2021

That is so cool that you are from Eastern Europe, which country?

Reply

Nancy Drayce
17:48 Feb 10, 2021

Serbia! Are you from Eastern Europe too? If yes, which country?

Reply

Kylie Rudolf
23:53 Feb 10, 2021

No sorry, I was born and raised in America. My great grandparents were immigrants though. Irish escaping the rebellion and German running from the war.

Reply

Nancy Drayce
07:54 Feb 11, 2021

Really? Wow, such a rich background and history. That is cool and sad in the same time 😥😥 I met a few german girls when I was in highschool and I was studying German language for many years in school too!

Reply

Kylie Rudolf
15:30 Feb 11, 2021

Thank you! I tried to speak German but I only remember a few words and phrases. That is awesome that you learned it! Right now I am trying to learn ASL.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Claire Lindsey
02:52 Feb 02, 2021

I love the drama of the storytelling! This story is a perfect blend of magic and horror, and it’s beautifully written. I’m slightly obsessed with folk lore, so this was especially fun to read! This line is amazing: “ She conducted symphonies in the wild storms of infant Earth and danced across the rise and fall of molten rock in the roiling seas.” Really well done, I don’t have any critiques!

Reply

Christina Marie
03:42 Feb 02, 2021

Thanks so much!! It was especially fun to write :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Frances Reine
18:57 Feb 01, 2021

Obsessing over your natural way with words. I like to think of this as "crispy storytelling", haha.

Reply

Christina Marie
19:56 Feb 01, 2021

Wow thank you so much! Haha crispy storytelling - I LOVE that!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Victoria Lucas
16:37 Feb 07, 2021

I loved that this story was short, wickedly sweet, and to the point. I think you established a voice really well.

Reply

Christina Marie
16:57 Feb 07, 2021

Thanks so much!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
00:13 Jan 31, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

Christina Marie
00:37 Jan 31, 2021

Wow, thanks for reading and for the feedback! This started out kind of as a for fun joke, and I ended up having so much fun and loving the result! Glad you enjoyed it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
15:57 Apr 08, 2021

beautiful story! the prose and lack of quotation marks really helps with its lyrical flow- that was a good call. i loved the way she casually added 'by the way, i've promised her your firstborn as well, when it arrives.' made me laugh out loud. great story :D.

Reply

Christina Marie
21:03 Apr 08, 2021

Thanks Kate! So glad you enjoyed!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kylie Rudolf
17:43 Feb 10, 2021

I LOVE fairytales. This story may very possibly be my favorite I have ever read on Reedsy. I love the story of Babba Yagga, when I was little I thought she really wasn't that frightening, but now that you have written this story, she is truly terrifying! I cannot possibly say enough good things about this story. Can you please make a part 2 where the woman the narrator was speaking to fights Baba Yagga for her child?

Reply

Christina Marie
19:00 Feb 10, 2021

Thanks so much!! I'll definitely percolate on your idea for a part 2 :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ijeoma Okoli
22:43 Feb 09, 2021

Please do well to use ur punctuation and please indicate who is talking too

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ijeoma Okoli
22:42 Feb 09, 2021

Geeezzzz now i think shes the Baba Yaba herself Nice one Its a vit terrfying bt i love it too please check on mine my reason for leaving

Reply

Show 0 replies
Victor Mwongela
23:25 Feb 08, 2021

I love it...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Thom With An H
14:43 Feb 08, 2021

I love to read writers who write what I can't. My stories are always of real people living in our time and mostly dealing with normal things. It limits my ability to create a story like this that is fantastic and fun and funny and even a little scary, just a little. I'm glad I stumbled on this story and you. Great Job. I wrote one this week using a different prompt but I'd love to know what you think. It's called "Him". If you have a moment and a mind to, give me a read and some feedback. :-)

Reply

Christina Marie
16:45 Feb 08, 2021

Thanks so much :) I also like to write about normal people and things, but I find that stepping out of the box helps to get the creative juices flowing - I have my friends send me silly prompts every week and try to run wild with them. This one was extra fun and worked out well with this prompt. I'm glad you enjoyed it! I'll check out your piece for sure :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
10:05 Feb 08, 2021

This was so well written - very evocative and creepy but in a subtle, sinister way! Lots of fun!

Reply

Christina Marie
14:36 Feb 08, 2021

Thank you for reading Lizzy! I did have fun with this one :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Elizabeth Inkim
03:46 Feb 08, 2021

Great story, you absolutely had me with that last line. I am so in love with the fantasy genre and I have to let you know I adore your interpretation of Baba Yaga; she's always been, my favourite witch. I always think its interesting when people can put an interesting twist on fairy tales, and I am happy to say that you did! I think my favourite parts were the details of her house. I suppose my only real question is what's with the lack of quotation marks and dialogue tags? P.S. I usually write more fantasy type stories, but "And I am a cr...

Reply

Christina Marie
03:54 Feb 08, 2021

Thanks for reading! I'll definitely check out some of your work :) as for the lack of dialogue tags and quotation marks, I was just experimenting with a different narrative style. I thought stripping down to the bones might be a fresh way to write and read. It's just the way this story flowed out and I rolled with it. Thanks again!

Reply

Elizabeth Inkim
03:58 Feb 08, 2021

Ah the great stylistic choice, I understand that. A brave move, my most daring stylistic choice is in 'And I am a creator at heart', you'll know it when you read it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
L.J Ferguson
13:58 Feb 07, 2021

I am in love with the nonchalantness of the last line- "I've promised her your first born as well, when it arrives. More tea?" 😂👍🏻

Reply

Christina Marie
15:32 Feb 07, 2021

So fun 🙂 thanks for reading!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Cathryn V
23:19 Feb 06, 2021

I esp like this part: You would do well to be afraid. When you see her, do not cross her. You must not anger her. Best to avoid any interaction at all. Avert your eyes and cross the street when you see her hunched and hobbling toward you. Although Baba Yaga and I have come to an understanding, she’s easily irritated, and once she raises a gnarled finger in your direction, you will find yourself compelled to visit the chicken house down on the corner. ...how the narrator is warning us; makes me wonder about the storyteller. Any way to add...

Reply

Christina Marie
23:28 Feb 06, 2021

Thanks so much! The chicken house is legit part of the Slavic folklore - so fun!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Renee Avery
10:12 Feb 06, 2021

Your story was an interesting read! I both enjoyed it and was a little creeped out at the same time, ha!

Reply

Christina Marie
13:50 Feb 06, 2021

Thanks for reading!! Haha!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.