A Bride in the Hand is Worth Two in the Books

Submitted into Contest #190 in response to: Start a story that begins with a character saying “Speak now.”... view prompt

64 comments

Funny Contemporary Fiction

“Speak now,” said the clergyman, “or forever hold your peace.”

Silence. Nothing moved in that tiny church save for the dust motes in the beams of golden noon light, and for just that moment all eyes turned from the bride and groom, eagerly watching if anyone would dare. And then, just as everyone was about to exhale, the creak of the door opening juddered through the air. And a man entered the church, his shadow looming down the aisle.

“Yeah,” he drew out. He held a briefcase and he doffed his hat. “Might be, I have a word or two to say.”

The clergyman covered his face with his palm. “Jesus,” he muttered.

“John Island O’Neal!” the bride huffed, planting her hands on her hips. “Just what in tarnation do you think you’re doing?”

John, the newcomer, looked past the bride and at the clergyman. “Sir,” he said, “you can’t proceed with this marriage.”

The witnesses gasped. The clergyman scowled and crossed his arms. “On account of?”

“On account of,” said John, “we’re already married.”

Another gasp from the audience, and Millicent Carson, in her fine violet dress and hat, fainted and slid off her pew.

The bride reddened well past blushing. “John. Island. O. Neal.” Each word, a hammer striking an anvil. “Just what do you think you’re doing here? To crawl into the Lord’s house and claim we’re married? Why, I haven’t seen you in the better part of a year!”

“Well, I reckon I might have been a mite unavailable.”

“A mite! A mite!” The bride threw her hands in the air. “You spend all your time toiling away in your little accounting office, and when you finish there, you go carousing around town with time for everyone but me.”

“Well, I can’t deny that.”

“And you never help around the house. Or,” she narrowed her eyes, “in the boudoir!”

The audience gasped once again, and the Wilmerson Boys let out a saucy “Woo!” from the back pews.

“Well now, I confess that’s true.”

“A woman has needs, John!”

“Well now, I concur that’s so.”

“And you have the gall to come here, and call yourself my husband.”

“Daisy,” said John, “I admit I mightn’t have done well by you. I’ve my flaws, and that’s on me. But all the same, this marriage cannot proceed.”

“Well why ever not, John?” asked the clergyman.

“Because, I am also already married to the groom.”

This time the gathered gasped so loud that Millicent Carson was roused, and once the context was explained to her by Chalmer Chalmers, her on-again off-again groundskeeper – who was paid a wage consisting entirely of freshly baked goods – she once more wilted.

The groom hitched his belt and spat his tobacco onto the floor. “That’s just like you, John.”

“Well now, I reckon it is, Jack.”

Jack, the groom, spat more tobacco onto the floor and bared his teeth. “You know what your problem is?”

“Well now, I figure I’m about to find out.”

“You’re selfish, John!” Jack pointed a trembling finger at him. “You can’t suffer anyone else to be happy. It’s always you who everything’s about. You set your eyes on the pie and just gobble it up, come hell or high water, and you don’t so much as have a thought about the crumbs left for me. It just don’t ever register, do it?”

“Well now, I must admit there is some truth to those deeply hurtful words. My behaviour isn’t always becoming, and it comes from a place of fear, I suspect, though that’s my burden to bear, and not one I ever meant to hang around anyone else’s neck. Would it help if I said I was well and truly sorry?”

Jack spat another load of tobacco. “No, John.” He turned to his best man. “C’mon, Clancy. You wanted this to be traditional, made me buy you a sword and everything. Well, this here jackass is threatening my nuptials. Draw your blade, go out there, and cut him down. Start best manning!”

Clancy looked from Jack to John, and swallowed hard. He took a step down the aisle and drew his antique cavalry saber. He raised it towards John, but his hand shook something fierce – and then he winced and sheathed it again.

“I can’t!” he mewled.

“Well why in tarnation not!?” Jack asked.

“Because that man,” Clancy said, pointing dramatically to John, “is my husband!”

The room erupted with gasps and exclamations. The youth choir fled shrieking, and the mayor tore at his hair. The Wilmerson Boys whistled, and Maybelle Rourke hooted. She got a solid chant of “Jerry! Jerry!” going before the clergyman slapped his lectern.

“Quiet! Quiet all of you!” he bellowed. It took a solid minute for the last of the noise to die down.

Then there was silence again.

And then there was the click of a heel on the old wood floor, as the maid of honour stepped forward. When she tossed a bouquet of flowers on the ground and crossed her arms, the clergyman muttered, “Oh for Christ’s sake!”

“Clancy Lando Sutherford!” she said, withering at the best man. “And just when were you going to tell me – your wife – about this?”

Once more the crowd went wild, and everyone stood up and started shouting all at once. It took the clergyman a solid five minutes of hammering at his lectern with his shoe and screaming “Quiet!” before things settled down again, and by then his sparse hair was plastered to his face with sweat, and his breathing came laboriously.

Only the wedding party and John remained standing.

“Okay,” the clergyman said, between gasps. “Okay.” He wiped his face with his sleeve. “Seems we have a couple snags today. So, let’s do it this way. Would all the people who are married to John, please raise their hands.”

The bride and groom raised their hands, and then the best man too. And then the best man’s wife, and the rest of the bridal party followed suit. Hands rose in the audience, slowly at first and then with conviction. Even Millicent Carson had recovered enough to raise hers, even though – outside of being married to John – she was a staunch spinster.

The clergyman scanned the room, counting off and silently shaking his head. By the time he had counted off the last hand, it seemed that fully three quarters of the town was married to John. And then… he raised his own hand.

The silence deepened. Even the cicadas outside kept their peace. Once more, it was John that broke it. He cleared his throat and shifted his weight, the floor creaking.

“So, now that I have your attention,” he said, turning slowly to address the whole town, “we can’t let this marriage go through. We can’t just keep inter-marrying each other.”

“Well why not?” said Daisy, the bride.

John cleared his throat again. “Well–” he coughed into his fist “–seems like, um, I may have misread the fine print. The spousal tax incentive only applies to monogamous marriages.”

A pause. Then, “What?” said the clergyman.

John scratched the back of his neck. “Yeah, it seems like you can only claim it once. I, uh, kinda, um, missed that part the first time around.” He chuckled nervously. “Honest mistake. Those tax forms are tricky, what with the tiny letters.”

“But you’re an accountant,” said Jack, the groom.

John cleared his throat. “Yes, well. I missed that one, and that’s on me. But long story short, we can’t all be each other’s tax shelter. Looks like we’re not all going to be millionaires after all.”

The bride’s face fell. The groom’s face fell. Then the clergyman’s, and everyone else. John took a step backwards and swallowed hard. “So,” he said, “just thought I’d let everyone know.” He opened the door. “No point in these marriages anymore.” His voice was little more than a whisper. “Probably not actually legal anyway.”

Suddenly everyone rose. John screamed and ran, and the riotous mob chased him all the way out of the town of Loupole.

March 21, 2023 21:50

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

64 comments

Sue Hunter
22:26 Mar 26, 2023

Loupole is such a great but simple name, love it.

Reply

Michał Przywara
03:07 Mar 27, 2023

Thanks Sue! I thought it fit :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
00:05 Mar 26, 2023

I roared all the way through this. It got funnier as it went on. The best for me was the town of Loupole!!! HAHAHAHA Great Job. I loved it!

Reply

Michał Przywara
01:35 Mar 27, 2023

Thanks, Sharon! It was great fun to write :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Andrea Hanssen
19:31 Apr 11, 2023

the alabama version of a telenovela

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:40 Apr 11, 2023

An interesting parallel :) Thanks for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amanda Lieser
20:07 Apr 04, 2023

Hey Michal, This was such a delightful take on the prompt! I found it incredibly I’m using, especially with tax day being so close. I completely agree with these characters that taxes are extremely difficult to understand, but I am disheartened to hear that your main character is an accountant. ;) I chose a favorite line for you, because I particularly like the idea of the hammer and the anvil standing for the bride and groom within marriage. I think that it is something that is a bit of an old fashion, saying, but I love the imagery that ...

Reply

Michał Przywara
02:17 Apr 05, 2023

Thanks Amanda! You know, I hadn't actually heard that saying before, so this is a happy coincidence. I doubt I'll forget it now :) It was amusing to write too, and tax season was definitely an influence. And the prompt just screamed wedding to me, even if that wasn't exactly the spirit of the week. I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kathryn Kahn
14:58 Mar 31, 2023

Hilarious. I laughed out loud when the clergyman asked everyone who was married to John to raise their hands. This was entirely unexpected, and I loved it.

Reply

Michał Przywara
01:24 Apr 02, 2023

Thanks, Kathryn! Very glad to hear that - it was written for laughs :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jim Firth
16:02 Mar 30, 2023

Well, now, what a mighty fine absurdist romp :) Big, billowy laughs throughout! The mob running him down is the perfect farcical ending. If there were to be a follow-up episode, I could see all of John's former spouses starting a support group and claiming they were traumatised by him, then planning to sue him for tons of money.

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:58 Mar 30, 2023

Ha! That's a brilliant idea :) Get our millions one way or another. Thanks for the feedback, Jim. Glad it was good for some laughs :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lisa H. Owens
10:55 Mar 30, 2023

Oh Michal, Michal, Michal! You are a clever SOB! I love the wit of this story in the town of Louphole. Right up my alley with its Southern dialogue, which you nailed by the way. Being from North Carolina in a town akin to Mayberry RFD, I know my Southern dialogue. This story is a winner if I do declare!🤣

Reply

Michał Przywara
22:38 Mar 30, 2023

Thanks, Lisa! It was great fun to write :) And I'm pleased the dialogue came through - it's a dialect I'm fond of, but not one I was born with. I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Miles
05:46 Mar 30, 2023

Dang this was funny, love a good bit of irony with John the accountant who can't do tax or read small print (sounds a lot like me, but thank god I'm an English teacher and not a Book Keeper). It has the feel of four weddings but no funeral, and all the weddings are crammed into one church on one day (or the revelation surrounding them all). It gets increasingly more absurd too, which is all to the good, but the stock characters like the swooning prude who then, naturally, is also one of his wives- help keep it just the right side of believab...

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:03 Mar 30, 2023

Thanks, Rebecca :) I was actually thinking of four weddings and a funeral, at least when I was looking for a title. "Four Weddings and Another Wedding" isn't bad, but I wasn't feeling it. A little spoily. Plus I really like the one I ended up with :) More sword fights in the future: noted!

Reply

Rebecca Miles
19:57 Mar 31, 2023

That title was gold. Glad sword fights are noted. I love the idea you take reader requests😉

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Radita A.
02:38 Mar 29, 2023

This is really funny! I love how you wrote the dialogue. Also the fact that John was an accountant and ... didn't read the fine print. That's hilarious!!

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:15 Mar 29, 2023

Thanks, Radita! Yeah, I suspect he got too excited about the prospect of making everyone rich. Maybe he wanted to be a hero, or maybe he's just bad at his job. I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Peter Merz
21:37 Mar 28, 2023

Hi Michael! This had a great twist to it, well several twists, in fact! Great descriptions and loved the humor.

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:16 Mar 29, 2023

Thanks, Peter! I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Russell Mickler
03:33 Mar 28, 2023

Hey Michal - I loved the opening scene with the church doors and long trailing shadow. It was like, "And on tonight's episode, Loupole's misguided accountant returns..." Absurdist and fun, smart twists of the storyline, the names were perfect and elicited an instant picture of the characters, and, Hell, taxes ... :) Nicely executed - a fun read :) R

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:35 Mar 28, 2023

Thanks, Russell! Yeah, I expect they get up to all sorts shenanigans in Loupole, and this was just the latest scheme :) I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Edward Latham
20:58 Mar 27, 2023

Ha, love it! Short, punchy and hilarious. And looking back at the title after reading: that's excellent

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:37 Mar 28, 2023

Thanks, Edward! Yeah, as soon as the title hit me, I knew it was a keeper :) I appreciate the feedback.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
16:34 Mar 27, 2023

This was a very creative take on the prompt, I loved the concept and it was executed so well! The number of plot twists is possibly too many to count! This was my favorite line, I started laughing maniacally when I read it: "The clergyman scanned the room, counting off and silently shaking his head. By the time he had counted off the last hand, it seemed that fully three quarters of the town was married to John. And then… he raised his own hand." Very well-written, loved this silly story!

Reply

Michał Przywara
02:23 Mar 28, 2023

Thanks, Alexandra! Yeah, it's quite silly :) I'm glad you enjoyed it! With all the twists, I wanted to see just how far I could push the idea. Pretty far, turns out.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
09:02 Mar 27, 2023

A lively escape into a comedy of mishaps and madness. As long as you’re not the person involved! Sounds like an interesting place to live!!! A fun read.

Reply

Michał Przywara
01:29 Mar 28, 2023

Thanks, Helen! It was fun to write, I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Zack Powell
02:15 Mar 27, 2023

This is the classic Michał Przywara comedy formula. Offbeat plotline + absurdist characters = hilarious outcome. I imagine a lot of the stories for this prompt will be riffing off the classic "or forever hold your peace" line, but I don't imagine many of them will be going balls to the wall with it like this. I've got no critiques for this, so instead I'll just tell you everything that made me laugh, smile, or furiously nod my head like a madman. 1) The dialogue. Love the distinct regional accents and diction you gave these characters. See:...

Reply

Michał Przywara
23:26 Mar 27, 2023

I suspect everyone likes trashy TV, even if some of us won't admit it :) I struggled this week. This story hits the prompt, but it doesn't really have anything to do with the spirit of the week - the coming of age, Taylor Swift, etc. (And "Eras" initially threw me, as I immediately jumped to dinosaurs, but that's not at all applicable.) So, I suspect I'm not a contender this week. But if this gives people a laugh, I'll call that success :) It was certainly fun to write, and I knew it was the right title as soon as it occurred to me. I ju...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Stevie Burges
01:10 Mar 27, 2023

What an inventive story - brilliant. I loved every word of it - daft though it was. I found myself sitting in the church - and in the end, began to wonder if I had married John too! Good rollicking story. Thanks for writing it.

Reply

Michał Przywara
04:05 Mar 27, 2023

Thanks Stevie! Yes, a silly story this week :) I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Delbert Griffith
13:46 Mar 24, 2023

LOLOL I have to tell you, Michal, that I had my tale for this prompt start exactly the same way. An objection to a marriage, in the Deep South. After that, they differed wildly, and I never finished mine due to a stomach bug that kept me out of action for the week. I think I know why. The gods of literature were telling me that no matter what i wrote, it could never match this excellent absurdist farce. Well, it IS tax season, even in Loupole (haha), so an ambitious man might think this would be a good idea. Damn that fine print! Everythin...

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:38 Mar 24, 2023

Ah, sorry to hear about the bug! That sucks. Especially if you had a similar beginning - it's always neat seeing what others come up with for the same root. Profit's a heck of a motivator, isn't it? I think, in a lot of cases, powerful enough that many people would relax their convictions for it. Especially if everyone else is onboard :) I've always been fascinated by that question, "do you cheat if nobody will ever find out?" It's a great place to throw characters. Thanks for reading, Delbert!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michelle Oliver
12:13 Mar 24, 2023

Love it, haha I love how you’ve used the dialogue to drive the story, so dry and cleverly delivered, that I can almost hear the drawl. “Start best manning!” Love it a noun that works as a brand new verb. “Honest mistake. Those tax forms are tricky, what with the tiny letters.” So true “Probably not actually legal anyway.” Haha- you think? “We can’t just keep inter-marrying each other.” I really enjoyed the humour here, your citizens are so delightfully absurd.

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:43 Mar 24, 2023

Thanks, Michelle! I also love any opportunity to turn a noun into a verb, or vice versa, or some other unexpected new twist on the language. Lots of fun to be had there. I'm glad you enjoyed the story :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Suma Jayachandar
06:06 Mar 24, 2023

Ah, absurdism! My fave offshoot of existentialism. Oh shoot all that psuedo intellectual talk! This was a hoot, Michal. Yeah I could easily see myself doing all that stuff if only it helped me evade the taxman. Oh but wait, for that to happen, I need to make some serious money first🤣 Thanks for sharing this.

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:46 Mar 24, 2023

Heh, I hear you :) Yeah, definitely a bit of an absurd take this week. It was hard coming up with something more in-line with the theme, honestly. Scaling it back to just the prompt worked wonders. Thanks for reading, Suma!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Darryl Roberts
02:14 Mar 24, 2023

Great, I could totally imagine this as a Monty Python skit!

Reply

Michał Przywara
03:08 Mar 24, 2023

Thanks, Darryl! Any story that in any way is reminiscent of Python is a win in my books. I appreciate the feedback :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.