2 comments

Fiction Fantasy Suspense

Unforgiving, the heat radiated off everything standing in the suns way, that didn't stop Althea from pursuing a living. She was perched on one of the many rooftops, observing the Chronis's mansion. Her muscles ached from staying still for so long, but she couldn't leave until she got all the information she lacked. After all, she wanted the mission to move smoothly; she wasn't about to lose her most valuable customer yet. The mansion was a hive, bustling with servants preparing for tomorrows moon festival. Proteus Chronis has taken it upon himself to host this year's celebration, not that Althea cared. She knew that even though the invitations were hung everywhere, they were meant only for the rich. The thought made her sour, those people bathed in money, while the rest fought for their next meal. The donations those men gave never deceived her into believing they truly cared. She would enjoy tonight but would make it quick. She wasn't about to dispose of humanity for such filth. Taking out her parchment, she marked the position of the last guard. Althea knew the potion she took would end after an hour or so, but that didn't stop her from climbing down carefully and ducking out of people's eyesight. 

Keys jingled as the locks fell one after the other, only after the sixth lock did the door open. A rosy aroma filled the hallway. Althea threw herself over the couch, the only thing she loved in this apartment. She had to get ready, but she couldn't make herself do so. A grunt escaped her lips; feelings towards her job were mixed. She hated how her body ached after a long day, the inconstancy of her income, but most of all, she hated the blood that came with it. Her job was gruesome, merciless, but she knew these people deserved it, they deserved death. That's why she never left. It felt like she was doing justice for all those dwelling in ruins. Like she was avenging her lost childhood, stolen by those hungry beasts and their feasts. For every extravagant meal they threw, hundreds died either in the battlefield, shielding their holiday mansions, or under the wrecks out of hunger. That's why she never quit, even after every inch of her was filled with scars. It was also the reason why she picked herself together and prepared her weapons for tonight. 

The stars rested in the sky, competing to see which one is the brightest. Althea smiled at a memory; her mother used to tell her stories about the stars jealousy whenever she complained about the girls in town. She told her that all the stars where once as bright as the sun. That was until one star outshone the others, the stars being their jealous selves couldn't handle that. They charged, stealing each other's light. The sun, fretting for her glow, ran to the moon and asked him to keep her safe. The moon hid her in the morning realm, away from all the other stars. The stars shrank in envy, but the sun remained bright to this day. That was how the moon festival originated; it celebrated the suns endurance and the moon's protection. 

Althea's smile didn't last long. She would never hear her mother's stories. Not after the soldiers that vowed to protect this country and its people violated their pledge and snatched her away. Tears welled in Althea's eyes. She will make them pay. Resentment fueled her steps. She took out a vile, opened the lid, and gulped it down. Immediately the whole world lit up. Every crack was visible, even through the veil of darkness. Althea became a cat, roaming through the night on nimble feet, adorned with seven lives, and oh so ready to seize her prey.

The guards patrolled the ground silently. Lights were out; the streets were empty. Althea was hiding in an ally, waiting for a guard to finish his stroll. Soon after, she rolled into motion. She climbed the gate and jumped, landing on soft feet, the ballet classes paid off. She then took out a rope and swung it over the bars of the window. Althea fastened the other end of the line to a tree and began her ascend. A smile bloomed on her face, the rails that she had deliberately carved through for the prior week only needed a little tug. They quickly came off. Climbing through the opening, window bars in hand, Althea entered the room. A knife rested in her palm. She tiptoed into the chamber, reaching the bed. Jabbing the covers away, she gasped. The lights flickered; the door swung open.

"Planning to kill me," Proteus stood at the door with a smirk plastered to his face," Well, that didn't go as planned, did it, Althea?" A laugh escaped his lips. 

 Althea answered with a laugh of her own." Don't take it personally; we all have to do things to earn a living."

"And, let me assume, you make a living by taking away life's?"

"Business is business," terror jolted through her bones, yet she forced it down. " We could do business sometimes, unfortunately now is not the appropriate timing." Escaping was not impossible, yet...

" I know you are buying yourself time, but I am not here for this." He frowned. " Don't try to escape. I am here to make a deal." The guards went on and grabbed her. 

Althea's head snapped to the door where a man now stood, surrounded by a dozen guards. " I got into a lot of trouble to catch you; did you know that? I have tried to set you up five times now." Althea studied the man, he didn't have the 'feel' of wealth, yet his clothing screamed of money.

"And who are you?"

" Driving directly to the point. Interesting, it seems as if I was the one being held captive." He moved closer, into the room," I am the new king and the former prince." His smile was no short of wicked.

" Am I supposed to grovel and beg to be spared then?" her face drew into disgust," why are you here your highness, what has driven you out of your barrow?"

" I will pretend I didn't hear that... I have come here to offer you a new job."

" Is that so?" 

" I would like you to be my new financial advisor."

A cackle escaped her lips," Of all the ridiculous things I have heard this tops them."

" I am serious! I plan on changing this kingdom, you've felt there suffering and lived among them. Surely, you would know what people need."

A wicked grin blossomed on her face, "I urge you to differ your highness. I might be an assassin, but I would not steep so low." She laughed, " I will not be a part of the very system that I fought my entire life." 

" That's why I chose you. I am acquiring people like you, from all across the country, to make a change." He sighed, ruffling his hair. " I don't want to be like all the previous kings; I want to make a difference."

Althea took a look at him, it was not his words that moved her or the desperation in his voice. It was the look in his eyes. After all the years she spent in her field, she knew when a man was lying. This one seemed to be telling the truth, and he truly believed what he was saying.

"I'll join, on one condition," she paused," tell me your darkest secret, one that you hide from the kingdom. Tell me, why are you desperate?"

His eyes darkened, a swirling storm. He rubbed his temple, " I- I was abandoned as a child. As soon as I was born, my uncle threw me away, to eliminate any advances to the throne," his throat tightened," I was raised as an orphan, and just like you, I suffered. I have only returned to the castle recently, and as you know I am the only one left to rule now. I don't want anyone to be raised the same way I was. Nobody deserves such a fate." He turned to Althea. " Will you join me now?"

"Do I look like I have a choice? It's either this or execution," she shrugged rising from her seat and extending a hand towards the new king.

This was a mark of a new beginning. The hope for a brighter future blossomed in their chests. Soon, it'll spread throughout the kingdom. 

December 17, 2020 20:49

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

John Walsh
01:23 Dec 24, 2020

Nice! Not really fantasy but a timeless story set in "ancient times." I like the spare style.

Reply

Hala Ali
16:28 Jan 07, 2021

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.