The daughter of Birchtree Manor

Submitted into Contest #37 in response to: Write a story that starts with the reveal of a long-kept secret.... view prompt

2 comments

Mystery

It was a crisp, cool autumn night in the small community of Birchtree Lane. The community held so many secrets. Most would never be revealed, but on this October night of 1930 one secret would be. One secret more deadly and horrific than imaginable. The immense Victorian house stood on the edge of Birchtree Lane, overlooking the foreboding sea. Inside the home lived the Birch family. The wealthiest family in the entire community. Their ancestors could be traced back to the 1800s.

On this particular night we will learn of the mystery of the Birch family and the secrets that their haunting home holds.

Draya Birch stares out into the ominous ocean as she waits in anticipation for her guests to arrive for her eighteenth birthday party. She was never like the other girls her age. She had never been to a real school or experienced anything that most girls her age had. Her Aunt would not allow it. She had been tutored at home. Locked away inside these lonely walls of Birchtree manor. But on this particular night,she was allowed to invite her peers to celebrate her birthday. However, Draya had no friends her own age. She knew not a single girl or boy in her community. Draya had never been outside the walls of the manor. Oh how she longed to be free! She knew though that her home would be filled with guests tonight. The Birch family was well known in the community. Always getting exactly what they wanted. People were either in awe of them or frightened by them. No one was really a friend or a companion. Draya lived with her Aunt Drusilla and her Uncle Drake. She never knew her parents. No one dared to speak their name. Never!!!

Hours later the Birch Manor was filled full of boys and girls roaming around the halls , whispering and trying to figure out the mystery of this grand house. Music played loudly as some danced and laughed. Most girls stared in envy at Draya while almost all the boys thought she was hauntingly beautiful! Draya‘s long brown hair flowed down her slim back falling on her Snow White porcelain skin. Her dark as night eyes piercing through their soul. It was almost midnight. The secret of Birchtree manor was soon to be revealed. Draya watched everyone dancing and laughing and so unaware of the dangers of this house. Her heart pounded as she could hear the large grandfather clock strike 12! Midnight!!! The time was here. Time for Draya to be finally free of this manor and free to be who she was meant to be. Drusilla and Drake nodded in unison giving Draya the okay. The time was here!!! Her Aunt and uncle turned and descended up the long spiral staircase and dared not to glance back for they did not want to watch the chaos that was about to happen.

The main entrance doors blew open and the music stopped. Everyone froze in sheer terror at the shadowy figure at the door. Whispers could be heard “No it can’t be.” And “How? He was just a myth. A legend. ” But no this figure was not a myth nor a legend. He was real. And he was here for his daughter. Eighteen long years he waited in the shadows until he would have a predecessor. Always being careful that no one knew he really existed. His existence could be traced back to the 1800s.

“Father I have waited for too long to be free! I am ready! It is time!” Draya smiled showing two long white fangs growing.

“Yes my daughter the time is near! It is time to eat!!” Dracula moved out of the shadows revealing two huge dark reddish eyes, fangs glaring, and pale as the first snowfall skin. Draya would be free now. She was finally a creature of the night. This was her birth right. Her mother, Dawn had died in childbirth. Dracula had fallen in love with her eighteen long years ago. He would watch her from the shadows of the night while she slept. So beautiful and peaceful. Dracula had seen many of the Birch ancestors over the years but never had he fallen madly in love with one. He had always watched over the manor so that one day he could take his revenge on the Birch family. The Birch ancestors, real name,Helsing,had been the reason Dracula was never to step foot back on the Manor. He had taken the life of Mr Helsings daughter back in 1850s. But never did he think he would actually fall in love with a Helsing descendant. Dawn had long blonde hair that looked as though it had been kissed by the sun. Her skin was a golden tan and ever so soft. Dawn had also fell in love with Dracula knowing what he was. Falling in love with Dracula but never becoming a vampire. Dracula could never bring himself to bite Dawn. She was his dawn while he was stuck in the cold dark night. So Draya being half human and half vampire was never able to go out into the world not even at night not until her eighteenTh birthday. On her 18th birthday she would become a vampire by night but by day she would be able to step out into the sunlight. She was a hybrid. Half human and half vampire. In some odd way Dracula knew he had taken his revenge on the Birch family by having Draya. She was part of him now. She was Count Dracula’s Daughter. He knew too though that she was also apart of her mother Dawn who was pure and radiated nothing but light.

It was time to do what he had came here to do. It was time for his daughter to embrace her power.

Hand in hand Draya and Count Dracula turned to the shocked and terrified crowd and feasted on each one. Wiping the blood from her face, Draya finally felt alive and free! She was ready for the night. It was time to go out into the night beyond Birchtree Manor! Draya could feel the cold wind on her face as they f toward the outside of the Manor. She could hear the waves of the ocean so loud and clear now. She could smell the salt from the sea, strong and vibrant. She was ready. All the secrets of the old house behind her. No longer living in fear and anguish. She was alive!!! She was Draculas daughter!!!!

The end!

April 13, 2020 20:19

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Tariq Saeed
05:52 Jul 18, 2020

The story is good and creating full suspense,Her words are good.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Metaxia Tzimouli
14:22 Apr 18, 2020

Great idea!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.