0 comments

Fiction Contemporary Drama

Silver Crown Hospital was a large multispecialty hospital in Reed city. The director of the hospital was Dr.Deep a well-known surgeon who was now about 50.He had worked in an American hospital, and invited by SCH had come to work there. The invitation was extended as he had been born in Reed and had grown up there. His late father had been a landlord who had been looked upon as a good Samaritan due to his charitable acts benefitting Reed society.

Deep had an only daughter Sneha wḥo was unlike the father. She wasn’t a beauty but was passable. She had studied psychology but was content to stay at home while she could have opened a clinic for practice. She had fallen in love with Charan – a man who had worked for a stock broker. Deep’s opinion about Charan was low. After the marriage Charan mismanaged the stock broking firm and was fired. Charan turned an alcoholic despite Deep’s repeated advice. Charan’s  health rapidly deteriorated and Deep was worried.

Deep had a great belief in MOG (man of God) who had an established presence in Reed with several followers. MOG had done many acts of charity. He ran a house for disadvantaged and abandoned children, a home for abandoned women and so on. His doings raised his standing amongst his followers. Recently when a man who was mentally disturbed had set fire to his wife and burnt down a number of small hutments in a slum, MOG paid the medical expenses of those injured. Besides, he financed the rebuilding of houses destroyed by fire.

Deep was with MOG one evening. The relationship between the two was closer than people knew.

Deep said “Why don’t you help my son-in-law?”

MOG said “You know he wouldn’t come to me when I had called him. I know your plight and I also know Sneha is also greatly distressed. Charan doesn’t care for me. What can I do?”

Deep was silent.

Deep said “In fact he has even turned to use of marijuana based drugs through illicit handlers.”

MOG said “May be a spell in prison will do him some good.”

“No, no! It will hurt Sneha.”

“I suggest that we seize him and put him in my custody in tḥese premises. His alcohol craving could cease.”

“His addiction is so intense that he might turn to violence or even murder and will spoil your name. Isn’t there some other godly path to make him get over his addiction.”

MOG thought a while and said “I’m sure you’ve heard of Dr.Carruthers. He is in Catskills in New York. He is said to be an expert at curing alcoholism. I can ask him to visit and study Charan.”

Deep said “If you think it will do some good I don’t mind.”

MOG said “Leave it to me. I’ll call him and discuss.”

A couple of days later MOG called Deep and said “Deep, bad news! It seems Carruthers was shot by a patient undergoing anti-alcohol therapy and is in hospital. His injury it seems isn’t life threatening but he has to be in hospital for a while. Let us wait.”

Deep said “MOG everything seems to go against me.”

“Don’t despair. Carruthers clinic is operational. Let us get Sneha to take Charan to New York.  If needed, I can go with them. Don’t worry about the expenditure. You know I’ll do anything for you.”

Deep sat in very deep thought. He finally said “MOG you’ve made a good suggestion.  I’ll talk to Sneha and come back to you.”

Deep spoke to Sneha. He said “Sneha perhaps the Carruthers clinic is likely to do some good. You’ve a US visa but Deep hasn’t.”

Deep reminded himself of what had happened in the past. Charan had gone to America only a couple of years ago and had associated with bad elements. He had a police case against him and could have been deported.

Sneha said “Dad it’s unlikely he will get a visa as he overstayed last time. And the case against him  perhaps lingers.”

“We could try.”

“I leave it to you dad” was her tear stained reply.

Deep got in touch with a lawyer who had knowledge of US laws. A visa application was made on behalf of Charan emphasizing that he needed to be cured of alcoholism. It took almost two months before the US embassy firmly refused the visa.

Deep called MOG and told him about the development.

MOG said “All avenues seem closed. I would’ve to give it a deep thought. I’ll come back to you if I find a way. I’m serious. You know I’ll do anything for you.”

Deep‘s mind went back several years and to his friend Satish. The two had grown up together. Satish had always wanted to renounce life and be a saint. It so happened that a certain female was in love with Satish. When she had attempted to have sex with him he had been violent and had shaken her by the neck. It resulted in her death. Deep had gone to talk to Satish and had been a witness to the development. Police concluded death as due to natural causes as there were no external injuries on the body. Satish had turned MOG with Deep’s silence. Deep knew Satish would harm no one.

MOG visited Deep’s residence to talk to him. Sneha received him. She said “Dad has gone for a walk. Please sit down. He will be back in a few minutes. I know I can’t offer you anything to eat or drink.”

MOG said “Sneha tell me about Charan. It is sometime since I spoke to Deep.”

Sneha wiped her tears and said “Charan is in bed. Has dad told you that Charan’s health has declined further and he needs a kidney transplant?”

MOG said “Deep didn’t speak to me about it.”

Deep now returned and saluted MOG who returned the salutation.

Deep said “Charan has a rare blood group and we’ve found no kidney to match.”

Getting the details, MOG said “Deep, I’m of the same blood group. And I offer to donate one of my kidneys to Charan. Do it whenever you want. I’ll await word from you.”

Sneha and Deep thanked MOG for his words.

But Charan was dead in a week. On hearing the news MOG arrived immediately and expressed his sorrow.

Deep said “You’ve stood by me and counseled me often at intense moments in my life. I’m grateful. I can only return your favors may be in another life.”

END  

April 30, 2023 05:01

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.