Justice Takes the Piss

Submitted into Contest #190 in response to: Start a story that begins with a character saying “Speak now.”... view prompt

18 comments

Fantasy Funny Holiday

TW: swearing, duh

“Speak now or forever hold your pee,” said a judge made of flame and the burning feeling that you have when you’ve just vomited samples of every meal for the last week.

“Don’t you mean speak now or forever hold your peace?” asked the defendant. He was the memory of a middle aged Caucasian man wrapped in a body of smoke and forgetfulness.

“No, Saint, I do not. Every punishment is fitted to the psyche of the defendant. Apparently you have a mortal fear of wetting yourself. Hence, if found guilty, you will be forever suspended on the edge of losing control of your bladder, unable to relieve yourself. Do you understand?”

“Not really,” said Saint. “Am I in Heaven or Hell? Wouldn’t I eventually get used to the feeling of being about to wet myself?” The courtroom had four walls that looked like grass tennis courts. The entire reality had seemingly been built on an intentional misinterpretation of every possible homonym. 

“A mind is unable to adapt within the constraints of its confinement.”

“Okay, is the sentence forever? Any chance of parole? Time off for good behaviour?”

“Your chance at good behaviour passed while you were in the mortal world suppressing unionisation of your overworked staff and voting for individuals you knew full well were guilty of sexual misconduct.”

“I only voted for him once,” Saint protested.

“You voted for the him in question twice and others like him on separate occasions. There is no heaven, nor hell, only justice followed by rehabilitation.

“How do I appeal my sentence if convicted?”

“There is no appeal. This is the last court. You will be judged by a jury of your piers.” The judge waved a hand made of recycled nuclear reactor rods to remote viewing screens. On each screen was a pier Saint knew from his childhood surfing the California coast.

“I’m high aren’t I?” The defendant laughed, producing a sound somewhere between a maniacal cartoon villain and a dog's squeak toy.

“No, Saint, you’re just about as low as they come,” said the judge. It wasn’t exactly a neutral statement, not fair in his opinion.

“Speaker for the jury,” said the judge, “how do you find the defendant?”

“He’s right there,” said the Santa Monica pier, pointing a railing at the ghost of the accused.

“No. I mean, have the jury come to a decision regarding the defendant’s guilt?” A sweat of exasperation poured from the brow of the judge. The sweat was composed of the tears of men whose favourite male characters are cast as women for live action adaptations. It smelled of the regret a student feels after handing in an exam paper and remembering that they didn’t write their name on it.

“We have your honour. We think he’s a complete dick. Real piece of shit that guy. Throw the book at him.”

The judge threw a book, Everybody Poops, which passed straight through Saint because he was an ethereal entity. Frowning at the jury speaker, the judge lamented the loss of her favourite book. “Your verdict?”

“Guilty.”

“Saint, who names their kid Saint? That’s just asking for trouble. You have been found guilty by a jury of your piers. You will now begin your sentence. For ten thousand years you will wait. When you reach the front of the line, you will complete the sentence and rehabilitation will begin.”

Saint found himself in a cramped corridor in a line of people. On the wall was the standard pictograph for male toilet with an arrow pointing ahead.

He was bursting to go. Immediately doing the dance, he pushed past others in the line, determined that he could wait out the millennia with an empty bladder. Much as he pushed and jostled he was never within sight of a door. Stopping, out of breath, he bit his hand. Blood welled from the bite mark as he slapped the hand against the wall.

“Don’t any of you care?” His voice echoed away.

Heads turned. One head on all of them. His head. His face with every haircut he’d ever had. Every outfit he’d ever worn. All of them were carved out of marshmallow. One had cucumber for his green eyes.

“What the fuck?” He pushed on past them, needing to get away from the ridiculous versions of himself that began singing.

“I can’t get no,

Dun dun dun,

Satisfaction,

Dun dun dun.”

Their impression of Mick Jagger was as awful as his own before they transitioned into Jimmy Hendrix.

“There’s too much confusion,

I can’t get no relief.”

Then came the rendition of TLC’s Waterfalls.

“Don’t go chasing waterfalls,

Stick to the rivers and the lakes that you’re used to.”

Saint rushed on, pushing and shoving with the ever present feeling that his body would betray him. 

“This is cruel and unusual punishment. Doesn’t hell have some sort of code against that?” He bent double. When he straightened up again he saw his bloody handprint on the wall.

No matter how far he went, he knew there was nowhere to go.

“Ten thousand years, alright. Might as well get started then.”

“Ten thousand and one years,” said a version of him as he’d been in his twenties, complete with a moustache which, in his own personal purgatory, was formed of bacon.

“Why is there another year?”

“You attempted to escape,” said the gastronomical doppelgänger with eyes of sincere celery.

“How long have I been here?”

“Three minutes,” said the pancake corduroy trousered tormentor.

Turning his head from left to right, there was nothing but him. Nothing but time.

Beat boxing, the army of he mimicked trickling water as he counted up to a thousand. He didn’t know how many seconds there were in a thousand and one years, but he’d count until he got there. Unfortunately for Saint, he lost count at three million one hundred and forty one thousand, five hundred and ninety two.

Without his own voice to distract him, the lyrics that referenced torment and water filled his ears again.

The line shuffled forwards one step.

“Has that been a year?” he asked, smiling.

“A day,” said the malicious manifestation of him wearing a full head of red string candy that represented a time he’d dyed his hair to impress a girl at a party. Said girl preferred not to be called a ‘girl’ and had a name. Saint couldn’t remember the name. It was just another reason he was there. She’d gone home with a woman and he’s insulted them both to salve his wounded ego, taking their sexuality as a slight to his physical attractiveness.

“Is this what passes for justice?” Saint asked.

“Yes.” One celery eye winked.

“It takes the piss.”

March 21, 2023 13:37

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

18 comments

Mary Bendickson
16:43 Mar 27, 2023

Wanted to write a witty comment but finding myself in need of a potty break. Sorry (not:)!

Reply

Graham Kinross
23:07 Mar 27, 2023

As long as it made you feel something!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Laurel Hanson
21:50 Mar 29, 2023

Fun to read and a great concept. It is ridiculous, but needing to take a whiz and not being able to can be an extraordinary form of torture. But hats off for this: "He was the memory of a middle aged Caucasian man wrapped in a body of smoke and forgetfulness." And this: "The sweat was composed of the tears of men whose favourite male characters are cast as women for live action adaptations." And of course, this: "Your chance at good behaviour passed while you were in the mortal world suppressing unionisation of your overworked staff and ...

Reply

Graham Kinross
23:41 Mar 29, 2023

Thanks, Laurel. What would hell be without a little whimsy?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
11:21 Mar 27, 2023

Wow! Mind-blowing concept. Utter suffering ably demonstrated.

Reply

Graham Kinross
12:34 Mar 27, 2023

People always think of physical agony. I think a lot of people suffer inconvenience worse than pain.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wendy Kaminski
19:18 Mar 21, 2023

What a long, strange trip it was - but thoroughly enjoyable! :)

Reply

Graham Kinross
21:34 Mar 21, 2023

Go weird or go home! Thanks Wendy. Still one of my shortest stories.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Martin Ross
17:18 Mar 21, 2023

The title alone yanked me in!! I love the idea of divine karma/justice so tailored to the most banal fears or neuroses (not that Sue would put up with buying new rugs every three months…). “He was the memory of a middle aged Caucasian man wrapped in a body of smoke and forgetfulness.” That is some priceless, evocative description! Saint’s hellish sentence made me chuckle, wince, and nod simultaneously, and as an older guy, “Waterfalls” was a terrific piece of sadism I felt physically by that stage. The precipitating incident (pardon) was a ...

Reply

Graham Kinross
22:03 Mar 21, 2023

Thanks Martin, I had the idea for the first line and the rest just wrote itself. I couldn’t hold this one in!

Reply

Martin Ross
22:50 Mar 21, 2023

🤣🤣🤣

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Lily Finch
14:00 Mar 21, 2023

Graham, this was awesome! I enjoyed the vegetable medley of references that the doppelganger lays out for the defendant. The notion of a court antagonizing someone for their worst fear of punishment is a great concept. Not to mention that this piece was full of fun throughout. Thanks, Graham, for the good read. LF6.

Reply

Graham Kinross
22:05 Mar 21, 2023

Thanks Lily, possibly the weirdest thing I’ve ever written. Glad you enjoyed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amanda Lieser
23:38 Apr 08, 2023

Hi Graham, As always, a fascinating take on the prompt. I liked your concept of standing trial. I especially liked the bits of pop culture you threw in there. “Everybody Poops,” what a book! I also really liked your Mick Jagger reference as my mother is a die hard Stones fan. This one was equal parts interesting and amusing. Nice work!!

Reply

Graham Kinross
04:44 Apr 09, 2023

Thanks, Amanda. I know it won’t be for everyone but I had fun writing this.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
L M
11:13 Mar 24, 2023

What did i just read?….

Reply

Graham Kinross
13:34 Mar 24, 2023

I’m sorry… thank you for reading it anyway.

Reply

L M
08:41 Mar 29, 2023

Youre welcome.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.