The Murder That Shocked The World

Submitted into Contest #80 in response to: Write about an elderly character who was part of a historic movement years ago.... view prompt

0 comments

Drama Fiction Historical Fiction

"Even in November it's freakin' hot in Texas." I said walking into the house.

Tina was in the kitchen cooking dinner. I came behind and kissed her neck. She turned kissing me.

“It’s only sixty-seven. Stop being a baby. We all set for tomorrow?” She asked.

“I'm not being a baby. You know I hate heat. Yes, we're all set. The motor caravan will turn onto Daley plaza at twelve twenty-nine. We need to be in position by eleven if we're going to get a good shot of President Kennedy. We'll look at the plaza layout after dinner. ” I answered.

Supper finished I went into the living room. I poured two brandy before turning on the television. Tina cleared the table, then did the dishes. We were both in our mid sixties. We had a long, satisfying career with the agency. The news came on and Tina joined me. I had the plaza layout on the coffee table.

“ This is CBS News November 21, 1963. I'm Walter Cronkite. The motor caravan baring the president will be leaving the airport at..."

The news reporter gave the route President Kennedy would be taking. I pointed to each spot as he spoke. Tina sipped the drink. She didn't say a word, just looked and listened.

“Remember eleven is the time we need to be there.” I said.

“I’ll be ready stop worrying.” She answered.

Knowing her like I did, we’d get there early but not the time I’d like. I got up and shut the television. I went to the book shelves. Pulled off some scrap books with old photos from the past forty years. I meet Tina during one of the meeting. She was just hired. I’ve been on the job for three years. She was twenty four and I was twenty sixty.

Three years later we were teamed to head a project. We had succeeded without any hick-ups. The Powers that be were extremely happy. So happy, they made us a regular team. Project after project was quick. Done just the way the bosses liked. Teaming for two year we grew close. On one of our assignments I asked Tina to marry me. At first she wasn’t sure if it was the right thing to do. It took until the end of the assignment for Tina to say yes. A year later we were married.

We brought a ranch in South Dakota. The first thing we did was buy two horses. Riding was a relaxing pass time for us. Our first child came a year later. Billy Jr. was born while we were in the middle of a project. Needless to say it had to be put on hold. Her water broke as I helped Tina into the car. We just made it to the hospital.

I begged Tina to stop working. She wouldn’t hear it. We moved her mother in to help take care of Billy. Two years later Maureen came into the world. I tried again to get her to retire. Tina shot me down.

“Who’s going to look out for you if I’m not there?” She said.

I knew she was right. Without her keen eye I’d never made it this far in the agency. We sat looking at the old photos of the family. We laughed and drank our brandy. We called the kids. Maureen told us her and Billy fought about who we were visiting first. We told them that we were happy this was the last assignment. The last thing Tina and I said was we loved them. Tina hung up and we went to bed.

That morning I was dressed, headed down to make breakfast. Tina, to my surprise was dressed and ready. This was a first. She was making us a sandwich and a thermos of coffee. I still couldn’t believe she was ready on time. I started breakfast while Tina poured the coffee. Breakfast done, we checked off the list. This was a double check. Making sure we forgot nothing. Nine forty the car packed we left to see the president.

We arrived in time to park the car and get set up. At twelve twenty seven Tina was looking through the binoculars waiting to see the front of the president’s car. I got ready to see it to. At twelve twenty nine she told me he was coming. At twelve thirty three shots rang out. People were screaming and voices were crying out that President Kennedy was shot. Tina and I left for home in the middle of all the panic and pandemonium. It was being reported as an a temped assassination.

We arrived home, unpacked the car, went into the living room, turned on the news.

"This is CBS News. Friday. the 22nd Day of November. I'm Walter Cronkite. We have just received word that President Kennedy has been shot. The President was taken to Parkland hospital where he was pronounced dead at one pm. Lyndon B Johnson was sworn in as the thirty-sixth President of the United States. We will bring you more details as they came in."

They kept showing the reel of Kennedy’s head blown off by the gun shot. Jackie Kennedy trying to get out the back of the car. I turned it off not wanting to watch any more. I went to the bar and poured us a scotch and soda. I looked at my loving wife knowing I still loved her the way I did all those years ago. I handed her the drink.

“It’s over?” She said.

“Yes.” I answered.

We drank and I kissed her.

“To bad Oswald has to take the blame for our work. I feel bad the Governor was hit." I said

"Yes, it is a shame. To bad he'll never see the inside of the courtroom. The agency thinks he's weak. Ruby was flown in. Every thing set? Tina added.

"Yes, it's set." I replied.

The poison worked quickly and we died in each other’s arms. The house exploded a few seconds later. Leaving not a single trace of what took place that day.

Saturday, November 23rd 1963,

Lee Harvey Oswald was arrested at one thirty after entering the Texas movie theater for the assassination of President Kennedy.

Sunday, November 24th 1963,

At twelve thirty in the basement of the Dallas police department Lee Harvey Oswald was shot to death by Jack Ruby.

Was this a conspiracy? You be the judge.

February 09, 2021 22:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.