1 comment

Mystery Fiction Teens & Young Adult

Avery grabs an inch and a half thick vampire book from the newly polished shelf, without even thinking about reading. She would rather doze off reading than die of boredom, waiting for her always late cousin.

Good thing their vacation house has some book collection to keep her company.

She flips through the pages, inhaling the smell of old and dusty paper. Who would have thought that a book’s scent could be nostalgic? Skipping the pages brings her to page 143 where a sticky note lies saying, “I’ll see you tonight.” Those warm words caressed her heart that is practically jumping in her chest.

Her eyes sparkle and a can-not-be-concealed smile settle on her face.

“Keep that smile to yourself. You’re creeping me out.” Bleven pops her cousin’s bubble from the doorway. Avery frowns and lunges at her.

“You’re late.”

“And you’re creepy.” They give each other the longest hug, but not as long as the years they haven’t seen each other. “Now, tell me, why are you smiling?” Bleven asks while still in a tight hug.

Avery pulls away and shoves the letter to her cousin’s face. “It’s this. I got it from one of your books.”

“That’s not even for you. It probably belongs to the first owner of that book.”

“I know. But reading the letter makes me feel it’s for me.”

“Stop being fictional now. You’re not even a bookworm.”

“Yeah. And you’re never early.”

“Sorry. Darren dragged me to see the new hunk living next to our house.” Bleven’s face turns red. Her eyes cloud with fantasy.

“Talking about being fictional. You should see yourself.” Avery simpers and points at her luggage, which Bleven grabs and rolls to the second floor.

***

“This feels like yesterday.”

Avery inhaled the fresh air coming from the open Capiz window in her childhood room. It is still cozy as it was before. The slight refurbishment makes it more homely. The workers built a balcony as an extension outside.

She opens the sliding door to watch the night sky her heart longs for. Seeing stars instead of artificial lights from the tall buildings eases her chaotic mind.

“I wonder how he is.” Her mind travels back to the time when she would stay by her window, watching her childhood crush from across the street.

“Who?” A deep, sweet manly voice coming from behind startles her.

“Who are you? How did you get here? Wait. You also read my mind.”

“You didn’t come when you read my note, so I come instead.” Avery’s mind turns blank. Not being able to process what’s happening. Her instinct wants her to scream, but her heart tells otherwise. “Calm down. I won’t hurt you. I never will.” THE MAN’S VOICE IS IN HER HEAD.

She can’t find any word to respond to. Her mind and heart are of no use, so her reflexes work for her. She runs toward the sliding door. A stupid idea, of course, because the tall stranger is blocking her way back inside.

“Help!” Finally, she voices out a word. But no luck.

“You’ll just exhaust yourself. No one will hear nor see you.”

True enough. Bleven and their other cousins are down the balcony. But they don’t seem to notice what’s happening to her.

“What did you do? Why can’t they see me?” Tears stream down her cheeks. Not because of fear. But because of a longing for the person who stands in front of her. “What is happening to me?”

“Michael. You named me Michael.” He steps toward her and wipes her tears with his warm hand. Avery closes her eyes to his touch. The touch her body has been craving for since she left her hometown. “I’ve waited for years for your return.” His touch turns into a longing hug. A hug that turns into a passionate kiss.

***

“Ohh. Look at those dark circles. Did you sleep?” Darren teases Avery as she descends the stairs.

“I did.”

“You look wasted,” Bleven added, approaching her. So, she won’t stumble on wiggly knees. “What’s wrong? Do you feel sick?”

“Nah. I feel great. I even had the most wonderful dream in my entire life.” She says those words with twinkly eyes. But Darren sees the opposite.

“It’s happening again.” His concerned tone alarms Bleven.

“You think so? I mean, it’s been years.”

“Just look at her. She was full of vigor yesterday. She only spent like seven or eight hours sleeping here, yet she looks gaudy overnight?”

Avery doesn’t seem to hear what her cousins are talking about. She looks encapsulated in her own world. Staring blankly at nowhere. Smiling and murmuring as if she’s talking to someone.

“Blev, don’t you think we need to drive her back?”

“Who’s driving who and where?” It’s Josh. His the newly transferred neighbor from the other day. “Sorry to butt in. I saw the door open and accidentally heard your conversation.” He smiles apologetically to them. But his eyes are on Avery. “I brought you cookies. I baked ‘em.”

“Thank you. Come in, handsome.” Darren batts his eyes while taking the tray of cookies from Josh’s hand. The female within him awakens at the sight of the gorgeous neighbor.

Josh smiles at Darren while still looking at Avery. “Is she your cousin? She’s pretty.”

“You think so? She’s haggard, duh.”

“Even so. I like her.”

“Straightforward. I like that.”

Bleven’s skin crawls with Josh’s words. He uttered that line without blinking. She also sees the sudden change in Avery’s aura when Josh sits next to her.

***

“Why is Avery here? Didn’t I warn you not to let her set afoot here again?” Lina, their aunt, glares at Darren and Bleven, but they avoid her eyes. Guilty as charged.

“She said she wants to take a break from the city life.”

“Reasonable defense, young man.” She walks around the house as if looking for something. “I could feel his presence here. Did you let him in?”

“No.” This time, Bleven answers. “I mean, we don’t know who not to let in. We had a couple of visitors these past few days.”

“A heavy aura sits here?” She points at where Avery sat earlier.

“Avery was there this morning.”

“Darren, go check Ave in her room. And you,” she looks at Bleven with a warning, “don’t let anyone get in. Whoever it is, especially not related to us. Don’t care if they’re your friends.” She guides Bleven to the kitchen, where they gather packs of salt to sprinkle to doors and windows.

Securing every entrance with salt, Lina puts on her amulet and starts chanting an inaudible prayer with Bleven. As they sit on the floor between lit incense in a circle, fogs descend outside the house. But inside, it’s steaming. Beads of sweat trickle on their faces, soaking their clothes like they’re in a sauna.

As the two are finishing their spell, Darren runs towards them with wide eyes and pale lips.

“Are you done, yet?” His tone shakes in sync with his heartbeat. “Um. I need help with Avery.”

***

All three of them almost fly the stairs to Avery’s room. Shaking, Lina grabs the knob, but she lets go when some electrifying current bites through her.

“Get me some ash from the burned incense.” Bleven rushes downstairs as Lina murmurs a prayer.

Darren throws his shoulder to the door with a bang, but it did not burst open. Gravitational pull prevents them from opening it.

Bleven goes back with the ash and sprinkles it on the knob. The door opens, and they reach for Avery's floating body by her balcony, carefully lowering her.

“Avery! Wake up!”

Lina gently taps the cheek of her sleeping niece. “The element after her is so strong. Any of you could’ve unknowingly invited him in.”

Darren and Bleven exchange glances. Unsure of how to respond.

They lay her on the bed. Lina whispers something to Avery's ear, and she suddenly opens her eyes.

“Aunty? There’s a desert in my throat.”

***

The moment Lina leaves that night, everything seems fine, at least for Avery. Her mysterious visitor is back at the balcony, waving at her with his most alluring smile. His dimples and prominent jawline make him more masculine than any man she has seen. His pair of ash pupils are hypnotic, that it can penetrate the mind of anyone who looks into it.

“Come, my love. Let’s go somewhere we can be together forever.”

“Have you been waiting that long?”

“I thought you’re not coming back. I was disheartened. But when I saw you the other day, I know I shouldn’t be wasting time, not even a second.”

He takes her hand, and she willingly follows him. He wraps his arms around her so tight, not wanting to let her go.

“Avery! No!” Darren runs to her, but a powerful force stops him from continuing. “Bleven, help me here!” He calls out.

“Who’s that guy?”

“I don’t know! I can’t even see him. Do something. I can’t move.”

Avery is now a few steps away from the end of the balcony. And Bleven could see a lanky silhouette. Hairs cover the creature’s body. It’s a solid shadow with pointy ears and red eyes. It is inviting their cousin to step further. She utters some unintelligible words and throws some beads into the room. “Call aunt Lina, quick!”

The creature writhes in pain when some beads hit him. He lets go of Avery, making her collapse, yet again, as he disappears.

***

“It’s definitely him.” Lina replaced the towel on Avery’s forehead. “He visiting her would worsen Ave’s fever. We can’t lose to that entity.”

“Is he the same stalker from when Avery was eighteen?” Darren adjusts himself at the corner of the bed, having goosebumps. “Well, it’s not that I have seen such a creature. I only have heard about him from Avery.”

"Yes, it's the same entity. Once they have taken interest in someone, they will never stop until they have that person."

"Avery told me that he's handsome." His eyes twinkle at the word.

"They're unsightly. The power to imitate handsome or beautiful faces is their technic to lure their victim." Darren's face distorts to disgust with Lina's statement.

"Will he take her from us?" He fidgets with the idea of Avery being with a monster.

"Their kind can only take those who willingly come with him. Or if the victim makes love to their disguised form. And if the victim eats any food they offer."

Meanwhile, Bleven paces back and forth at the side of the bed. “How could he possibly get in when we have already built a barrier?”

“He could only come in once invited, or if he has some possession inside this house. He could still pass through the barrier if we don’t find that thing.”

“I remembered Avery showing me a sticky note the moment she arrived. It must be our object.”

“Bring it to me.”

***

Lina examines the note, feeling for negative vibes. “That’s weird. It’s just a normal letter. Are you sure that this started your cousin’s trouble?”

“I’m not a hundred percent sure, aunty. But she mentioned that when she read it, it felt like it’s intended for her. Like, she felt some connection to it of some sort.”

A doorbell interrupts what Lina is about to say. Darren checks who’s at the door. Bleven and Lina look after Avery.

“Josh! It’s you. Come in.” They hear Darren greets him. But only Bleven peeps from the stairs. Her instinct tells her to do so.

Josh is about to step inside when he retrieves his foot. He gives the place a quick look. “Thanks. I just remembered I have to run some errands. I just want to check on Avery. I heard she’s sick.”

“Oh, how thoughtful of you, but how did you know? Anyway, don’t worry now. She’s bionic. She’ll recover in no time.”

Bleven keeps her eyes on Josh. She squints when suspicion strikes her. She goes back to Lina.

“I think I have an answer.”

She takes the note, lights incense, and burns the letter.

***

“Michael. Michael. Why didn’t you come?”

Lina awakens when Avery speaks in her sleep.

“He’s not coming because I’m here.” Lina talks back.

“Why won’t you leave us alone, aunty?” Avery responds as if talking to her aunt is part of her dream.

“I love you, honey. So, no matter how much that thing convinces you to come with him, don’t you dare leave aunty, okay?”

“I love his eyes and lips. I love making out with him on the balcony.”

Lina gasps. Tears start kissing her wrinkly cheeks. “Oh, no. Please tell me you’re kidding.”

Not long after that revelation, Avery’s mouth bubbles as she wriggles. Her pupils roll on top, leaving only the sclera. Lina calls for Bleven and Darren. And they drive to the hospital.

***

“I’m sorry.” The doctor gives them a sympathetic look. “The patient has been dead since yesterday. Why did you bring her just now?”

“What?! It can’t be. We never leave her side since the moment she arrived here. We even stayed beside her when she got sick.”

“I know it could be shocking. And you may haven’t accepted the truth yet, that’s why you kept her corpse.” The doctor shakes his head in disbelief and sighed. “The medical apparatus and the patient’s body are not lying.” He taps Lina’s and the cousins’ shoulders. “Seeing a relative die is traumatic. I’m sorry.”

“How could this be possible? We were talking to her until before we brought her here.” Darren bursts into tears.

“I think I know who did this. He didn’t get in when you invited him because there is salt on the doorstep. I saw him with minor burns too.” Bleven speaks between sobs. Then, she throws a sharp glance at Darren. "Did you eat any cookies?"

"Not a fan. Only one of us has the love for cookies." They all look at Avery's sunken face and scrawny body. In just three days of staying at their vacation house, her vibrance and life disappeared.

“All this time, we have been talking and looking after Avery's fake replacement. He had already taken her away from us yesterday.”

***

Josh, aka Michael, stands beside Avery who is holding a cookie, from a distance. A sinister smile registers on his lips as he licks some of the burn marks from the beads Bleven threw at him. His pearl white teeth gradually become fangs. His prince-like feature slowly changes to that of a hideous hairy creature.






July 14, 2021 14:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Abe Baron
06:39 Mar 07, 2023

https://peakd.com/hive-170798/@idlemind/suitor-and-sticky-note#@theinkwell/re-idlemind-rr4rf4

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.