0 comments

Drama Fiction

This story starts off with a girl named Skye, and how she herself changes, but remember, there is always a calm before the storm...


I look around at the rolling hills to my right and the dense forest to my left. All I see are thin, long green stems and simple, but beautiful pink appendages that roll off of them. The smell is intoxicating, like the smell of a sweet breeze on a warm autumn day. I walk closer to one of the things, wondering what it is. Sharp needle-like spines cover the green stem and the pink appendages tickle my finger lovingly. It felt like smooth leather. A bee flew over, humming away as it landed down on the yellow dust that formed around the protruding modules. I backed away, taking in the scene again, rolling hills, covered with grass so lining it reached up to my knees, and the long, green stems of the marvelous pink things sprouted everywhere. I close my eyes, saying a silent goodbye as I drift slowly back into consciousness.


"Skye! WAKE. UP!" She shouts. Her long auburn hair flowing onto my shoulder. I sit up, rubbing my eyes, wishing I could have stayed in the marvelous dream. I sit on the edge of the bed, frowning. "Jacklyn," I say, 'Why'd you wake me up again! I was having the dream again!" She laughs and then grabs my hand to pull me up, "Come on! You're gonna be late for work again!" I frown deeper, why can't she take anything seriously? "You act as if I don't know that, now get out of my room so I can change." She walks out, shutting the white door behind her.


The dorm is small, which means the closets are even smaller, it's a good thing I don't have many clothes like someone I know. I pick out my casual attire, a sweatshirt, baggy short sleeve, and a pair of ripped jeans, quickly slipping them on. I go into the bathroom, looking into my reflection. You see, I'm not ugly, but I'm also not the best looking. I have small ears, a long nose, pale skin, green eyes, and hazel, shoulder-length hair. I pull my hair into a messy bun and walk out into the living room where the key rack stands.


Picking up my keys I shout to Jacklyn, "I'M LEAVING! DON'T BURN THE HOUSE DOWN!" And with that, I lock the door and am in my ford faster than you can say "banana"


I work at a small-town gym called “Fitness & More”. If I’m being honest, I could do better, but it's the closest thing to me. I enter the gym and shout, “ANYONE WHO IS DOING THE CARDIO SESSION AT 10 GO TO THE STAIRMASTER AND TREADMILL STATION!” I waltz up there expecting to find a group of people gathering, but instead I find Mr. Kravich, my boss, tapping his foot impatiently and looking at his watch. 


“Mr. Crab Bitc- I mean Mr. Kravich.” He scowls and I smirk the slightest bit, I already know he wasn’t going to give me a raise, but that much is obvious. “Hughes, may I have a word with you?” 

“Of cou-” I start, but he interrupts me like the crabby bitch he is, “In my office."


“To be short, you're fired.” He said, my mouth flew open. “B-But sir! I need this job!” He smiled his ugly witch smile, “And I need to not have you around here!”


I stormed out of the building like my heels were on fire and hopped into my car muttering insults and curses under my breath. I slam on the brakes, not seeing the oncoming red light until the last moment, too dazed in my own thoughts.


I lock my car and open the front door and smoke puffs into my vision and seeps into my lungs. I find my way through the living room, throwing coughing fits like candy. “JACKLYN! WHA-” Coughing fit, “WHAT DID I SAY ABOUT LIGHTING THE HOUSE ON FIRE?!” I swear this girl is either really stupid, brave, or both because she looks me dead ass in the eyes and says, “To do it.”


----------------------------------------------------------------


I flop onto my bed after the smoke detector went off about a hundred times, needless to say, I didn’t have the dream tonight. I woke up every hour to cough and go get a drink. I think my lungs are as bad as those who smoke 10 packs of cigarettes a day. Sigh. What a day it has been, what a day.  


I wake up at 8 in the morning, which is pretty early for me, considering the earliest I used to wake up at was 9:45. So I get up, smoke is still filling the air, and I make pancakes with the small amount of mix we still have left. 


After I eat I go to the gym, still used to the routine, “Mr. Kravich! When's the next Cardio session?” He looks over and scowls. “What did I tell you, Hughes?! GET OUT!” At this point I’m pissed, “Sir, I’m here to have a workout, I’m not disturbing you, just asking when the next session is so I can join in! I’m sorry if you think that I insult you by doing a better job of guiding these people than you do, but that is no reason to act like this to me,” I chuckle, “Mr. Carb Bitch… You really are a crabby bitch!”


I wanna storm out, strike a match, and set this dump ablaze, but obviously, I can't, so I just stand there, a deep scowl on my face, hands on my hips, and a glare as sharp as knives. He stares at me, a startled expression on his face, “M-Ma’am, you c-can't work out here.” He fumbles out somehow. “Well,” I choke out angrily, “Why is that then?”

“Be-because I said so, ma’am”

“Great reason sir, you sound like a four-year-old, have fun competing with me when I start my business on my own.” I walk out, dried dirt coming off of my shoes and leaving a cloud behind me. 




May 17, 2021 21:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.