1 comment

Adventure

     Mysteries weren’t uncommon, in a world like Anila.

     Anila was a planet with new discoveries always hiding just around the corner, where you could try to go to the local grocery store yet find a hidden magical crystal on the way. It was perplexing to some, thrilling to others, but a major nuisance to most people.

     But if you thought mystical ruins and cursed spellbooks were bad, then outside the major cities it was even worse. Monsters prowled enchanted woods, and travelers roamed the unsettled lands all with their own secrets to keep. 

     But some people liked the mystery. They seeked out the adventure(not that it was very hard to find), in hopes of gaining treasure or fame from their ‘heroic’ trials, triumphs, and discoveries.

     Thyme’s best friend Thrixl was one example of that.

     Thyme had wanted a calm, peaceful day to relax at home and read books. But apparently Thrixl decided otherwise, and dragged her out to the Enchanted Woods in search of a rumored hidden treasure full of rare jewels and fortunes. Thyme was secretly glad that Thrixl had chosen her and not one of their other friends, who had no expertise in combat and wouldn’t have lasted a second against the dangerous threats in a place like the Enchanted Woods.

     “…and then we can take all our jewels to Py’s Jewelry Store, and sell it for a fortune!” Thrixl went on animatedly, not noticing that Thyme was hardly even listening. “Wouldn’t that be amazing?”

     “Yeah, sure, it’ll be wonderful.” Thyme agreed distractedly. “If we actually find any treasure.”

     The Enchanted Woods was a mystical forest teeming with undiscovered secrets left and right. Yet there were just as many unspeakable dangers in the forest as treasures. Every time someone went into the woods, a new species of monster was discovered. It really amazed Thyme often, how they didn’t even know what creatures lived right next door to their own city. 

     This time, Thrixl was aiming to find a gem that granted super strength to its wearer. Most likely they’d end up discovering something else entirely, but that was what the Enchanted Woods were like. You went in searching for one thing, but ended up finding something else entirely. That, or you died a horribly gruesome death at the claws of some beast or other undocumented creature. That was the reason why more than half the inhabitants of their city had at least some combat prowess.

     The moment they left the gates of the city, a flying Phoenix had tried to burn them alive.

     A minute later, Thrixl had to be rescued from quicksand.

     And then Thyme nearly fell down a pit of poisonous vipers.

     The overall conclusion was that five minutes into their adventure, the forest had already tried to kill them at least seven times.

     “Thrixl. Why did we have to come out here again?” Thyme spoke with forced patience as she dodged a spiky monkey swinging from one of the vines above. “Why couldn’t we just go rune hunting or something in the city itself?”

     “Because there’s probably a hundred copies of anything found in the city itself.” Thrixl responded enthusiastically. “And while the same might be said for things in the forest, it’s hardly likely that anyone has found it before us. This place is an adventurer’s dream come true!” She said as a black eagle tried to bite off her head.

     “Whatever. Let’s just find something cool, and go home.” Thyme sighed, pressing two fingers against her temple.

     “So moving on, the legend says that the Gem of Invulnerability is hidden within the core of the oldest tree in the forest. It’s forest green, with a teal glow to it.” Thrixl described, cheerfully making her way down a path(a path made by fire squirrels, if Thyme may add) and barely dodging a spiky ball that was thrown from the canopy above. “It’s also supposed to look like a necklace, so it can be worn! Hey, would you mind letting me have the necklace, if we find it?”

     “Yeah, sure, whatever.” Thyme dismissed offhandledly, more interested by the fact that Thyme knew they might not find it. The chances were more like they would never find it, but 50/50 enthusiasm was better than full confidence.

     “I heard from Dove that the oldest tree in the forest is a spruce tree. Apparently it seeps some kind of poison liquid—OH MY GOSH WE FOUND THE TREE!” Thyme was nearly knocked off her feet by a hyper Thrixl. The world shook violently, and she struggled to gain her bearings.

     “Stopppp shaaaaking meeeeee!” Thyme cried, letting out a breath of relief once Thrixl finally put her down, only to immediately run into a clearing without considering what traps there could be. But apparently she had some knack for avoiding danger, because five traps sprang to life where Thrixl stepped, yet Thrixl fell for none of them.

     In the middle of the wide clearing, was a tall, mystical-looking dark blue tree that had pale lilac leaves and strange glowing tangerine fruit. Its roots were thick and above the surface in the places closest to the tree. Its trunk looked weathered and weary. 

     “Certainly looks old to me.” Thyme commented, more impressed that they had found the tree than joyful. The gem inside the tree was another question, however. “Let’s see if the gem’s actually inside—”

     A violent rumbling shook the ground before Thyme could finish, however. Thyme looked up at Thrixl, who had already pulled out her saw and had cut off a big chunk of the tree. Inside the tree, at the very center, was a small gem perfectly fitting the description that Thrixl had given earlier. Thyme met Thrixl’s eyes, who shrugged helplessly.

     Then, decaying hands started bursting out from the ground, pulling out literal zombies. Their skin was rotting and literally falling off their undead bodies, revealing brown, decaying muscle underneath. Like straight out of some horror film…or maybe this was something normal in the Enchanted Woods.

     Thyme heaved a sigh and pulled out her staff. Fighting zombies was nowhere near what she had planned for today.

     “Thrixl,” Thyme said, eying the zombies disdainfully. “I’m never going out with you again.”

July 26, 2021 21:08

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Roger Scypion
14:35 Mar 05, 2023

Interesting and descriptive story. Nice plot. Engaging. Will you be adding more to this one?

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.