7 comments

Contemporary Fiction Teens & Young Adult

Jamie Lopez quit her job as a supermarket checkout girl. Sure, she got paid on time and the hours weren't too much of a hassle. She also knew a lot of the staff and the boss was okay. However, Jamie thought that working there for five years, straight after graduating from high school, was more than enough. She felt the need to find something else in the job department. She handed in her resignation and made sure that her final pay check went in the bank.


For now, she was still living at home. Her mother Tina died when she was only nine, from pancreatic cancer. By the time they diagnosed her, it was too late. There was nothing to be done that could have saved her. Jamie's father Marcel eventually moved on and remarried. She and Judith were sort of uncomfortable with each other at first, but that soon went away.


Judith desperately wanted to have a baby, before it was too late. Three failed attempts and then finally, success! Declan had just turned twelve last month. Jamie adored him from the moment he was born. The resemblence was strong, even for half siblings; they both looked like thier father.


Declan was the one with the dark brown hair, while Jamie got the striking amber eyes. He was becoming tall and lanky. She was already tall with some added curves. Her brownish blonde hair was from Tina's side of the family.


Jamie thought about her mother often, keeping what memories she still had of her alive. She was not really the religious type, but she did hope that if her mother's spirit existed, Tina would be up there in Heaven, watching her daughter and feeling proud of the woman Jamie had grown into...


*******

Jamie's stepmother ran her hair salon from their basement. It had another door built in, that granted entry to the bright and spacious downstairs room, without having to pass inside the Lopez house. Within months, mostly through word of mouth, Judith's business blossomed.


She could set her own hours and was always on time to pick Declan up from school. She hired two assistants as well. Jamie herself had recently asked for a shorter haircut with a mix of highlights. Judith did offer her a discount, since she was family, but Jamie insisted on paying full price.


Marcel was the manager of a catering company. Royal Blue served top quality food that wasn't expensive. They were available for any kind of event. They also made ready to take home meals, which only needed a short time in the microwave or oven.


Marcel's parents had started the company before he and his brothers were born. Rivalry was fierce and there were struggles in the beginning. But Royal Blue became one of about seven local food catering businesses that still remained steady on its feet after so many years. There were no signs of it slowing down either.


********

The Lopez family were invited to Declan's school a few weeks later, because he was recieving an award. His art had been praised by both teachers and students. He was among four others who were chosen to take part in a competition. The 1st prize was money and a display of his painting in the Sandstone Haven art gallery.


Jamie watched her brother accept his award. His face lit up with the biggest smile when he saw that they had all shown up to be there for him. He threw himself into his father's arms, not caring if he was teased by his friends. Marcel held him close. "We are so proud of you."


Declan turned to Jamie. "Do you think I will win?" She put an arm around his shoulder as they were heading towards the car. "No doubt about it, little brother you are an awesome artist!" He laughed at her compliment. "And you are an awesome big sister." "I know."


Marcel hadn't had much of a chance to talk about Jamie no longer having a job. He'd been rather busy lately. He sure wasn't pleased that she quit Rousseau's Superstore. But Judith figured and was probably right, in assuming that her stepdaughter would not have done this, without some other idea in mind.


So Marcel brought it up the next time they sat down to dinner together. Friday was his night to cook. Declan had been dropped off at his friend's place for a sleepover. He definitely would have jumped to Jamie's defence, if it looked like their dad was getting angry with her.


Judith set the table. Marcel placed the food in the centre, along with the necessary utensils. The three of them chattered away about other, less important things, but once their plates were empty, the real talk began. "What are you going to do now?" Jamie knew he didn't like that she had left her work. She could tell by the expression on his face, but for now he was keeping his cool.


Judith stood up. "I'll start washing the dishes. " This was where she left them to it. Jamie answered his question honestly, as she always did. "I have given this some serious thought. I want to learn how to be a veterinary nurse. Star PetVET has on the job training. Maybe online study could help as well. The dog shelter in Ashfold Lake is crying out for volunteers. It's only a forty five minute drive from here."


Her father took a sip from his bourbon glass. His harsh gaze also softened. "If this is something you know you will stick with and enjoy, then by all means go ahead and do it." "Thanks Dad." Marcel looked at his daughter with a fond smile. "It makes total sense really. You've had a soft spot for animals ever since you were a kid."


Jamie smiled back at him, aknowledging the truth in his words. Only a few months ago, she came across a cardboard box full of kittens, that someone had just dumped in an alley. She took them to the vet. They were checked over and pronounced to be in good health, if perhaps a little malnourished. Soon the kittens were put up for adoption.


Except for the smallest; she was black with white paws and blue eyes. Jamie brought her home and gave her the name Stormy. She got into mischief, as kittens do, but all in all, she was a cute and very welcome addition to the family. She attached herself to Declan at once.


He was happy to have the main responsibility of looking after her. Every now and then Jamie found the cat snuggled right next to her on the bed. Stormy never objected to cuddles from anyone, but there were some people she just did not like.


********

On the 16th of June, the Sandstone Haven High school student artists plus their friends and family, were gathered inside the art gallery. Critics and art lovers made up the rest of the crowd. Royal Blue generously supplied the buffett and drinks. Jamie and Judith bought new outfits just for the occasion. Marcel didn't like ties, but this was for his son's big night, so he endured it.


Declan was talking to the other contestants and having a great time. He wanted to win, but knew he could handle it if he lost. He told nobody what he had decided to paint, wishing for it to be a surprise. Jamie picked up a glass from a passing waiter and let her eyes roam around the gallery.


She had seen some of these artworks before, but a couple of new ones caught her attention. She stood in front of a very impressive painting of a giant moon, hovering over a waterfall. She noticed a tiny sticker in the corner, which meant it had been sold; for $300. Imagine that.


She hadn't yet gotten to the area where her brother's painting was hung. But when she finally did, she froze on the spot. In living colour, as realistic as a photograph, was an image of her mother and father. The details were amazing. Tina wore a gorgeous blue dress and the diamond earrings Marcel had gifted her.


He had on a dark suit with a rose in his jacket pocket. Their eyes sparkled and the smiles they shared were breathtaking. This had been a very happy moment; the Lopez's six year wedding anniversary and Tina's 29th birthday. Jamie was born a couple of months later.


"Do you like it?" Declan had appeared beside her and gave her a tissue. She wiped at her tears, unaware that she had begun to cry. "I love it. I'm sure Dad will appreciate your artistic flair even more than he already does." "I hope so." Jamie held onto his arm as they continued to make their own path through the gallery.


She glanced at her brother's fellow contestants' paintings and voiced her opinion. "Not that they don't show potential, but I think yours will win." "I'm crossing my fingers and toes." "Trust me little brother, you got this."


It was kind of funny how often Jamie was proven right. Declan won 1st prize and it topped off what had become such a memorable night for her loved ones. She wondered if this was a sign of even more unexpected things to come their way. Life did tend to throw people a spanner in the works, from time to time.


THE END

August 30, 2021 07:12

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

7 comments

Aman Fatima
05:06 Sep 09, 2021

Its an amazing story, the family dynamics and the way you presented each character was great. the story had a great flow and it was easy to imagine the emotions of each character.

Reply

Kylie Wallis
00:14 Sep 10, 2021

Thanks so much, happy you enjoyed reading this story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Francis Daisy
09:52 Aug 31, 2021

I like how you give the background of the family dynamics and then continue to weave that in and through the story. It's nice that mom is never forgotten. I did notice a few misspelled words: their, receiving, cardboard Keep writing and so we can keep reading! :)Amy

Reply

Kylie Wallis
00:38 Sep 01, 2021

Much appreciated. I always enjoy it when someone says to keep writing or something about my stories actually being good. Gives me the confidence to go on and conjure up more stories. :).

Reply

Francis Daisy
02:58 Sep 01, 2021

Amen to that! We all thrive on positive feedback and need to hear about our strengths so we can continue to build on what we know. A wise coach once told me, to work on my strengths and one day my weaknesses will just disappear. I'm still waiting for the weaknesses to disappear, but I believe they do shift over time.🙂 Keep blooming!🌺

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Keya J.
13:50 Aug 30, 2021

Amazing story Kylie!! I love the style of narration and the words chosen. I loved the last line. Great Job.

Reply

Kylie Wallis
23:41 Aug 30, 2021

Thank you!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.