0 comments

Mystery

It was so terribly cold. Snow was falling, and it was almost dark. I warily looked out of my window which now had icicles draped across it. I couldn't see anything but snow and trees for miles. My eyes then traveled to the brick fire place which had only kept me warm for a mere two hours. Now however, the cold had gotten to it too, and the ember flames quickly stopped producing. With no light, and no warmth, I snuggled into my blanket, waiting for a flicker of light, a sound, a person, to come. I reached for my phone which only had one bar of signal left, I started texting the Airbnb house owner who had rented me this mess. I briefly explained that the power was out, and asked if there was a generator somewhere in the house, however, just before I could hit send, my phone shut off.

"What?" I exclaimed, confused. My phone was just at seventy percent, I made sure to charge it as soon as I heard a blizzard was coming. I shook my head in disbelief, now I really had to wait out this storm.

"Whatever" I said aloud as I made my way to the bedroom, I had gotten first pick since my sister canceled on me last minute. I picked up a book that I had packed, as I turned a page the lights flickered on. I looked up at the ceiling as a sigh of relief swept over me, at least now I could watch some TV. I walked down the old house stairs, cringing at each creak, when I finally reached the bottom. I grabbed the rectangular TV remote so I could get a sense of when I could get out of this cabin. I pressed the on button, nothing, I pressed it again, still nothing. I then walked right over to the TV to see if I could manually turn it on, maybe the storm forced it into a restart. I quickly started to grow anxious as the TV still wouldn't turn on, I walked over to the kitchen, the microwave didn't reset, no green buttons on the oven were glowing, and the fridge most certainly wasn't producing cold air. I could feel my forehead quickly start to grow hot, the power isn't back yet, so how are the lights on?

"Hello, Lilia?" I stopped moving, every muscle in my body froze, I'm surprised my heart didn't stop to.

"Is anybody here?" I didn't respond, I was too scared to respond. How could anybody have gotten into the house? I slowly started to approach the stairs, I reached the first step and slowly climbed for the second. That's when the stairs shrieked, I winced as the sound echoed throughout the house. Then, suddenly, the sound of whoever was in the house's keys stoped jingling.

"Lilia! It's me, Joe, I rented you the house, remember!" The man exclaimed, appearing out of nowhere. I let out a sigh of relief, embarrassment quickly flooded over me to replace the fear.

"Yes, yes, Joe! I'm so sorry, you know, this storm is awful and we're dreadfully remote from everyone else." I said.

"No need to explain, I  just came to check on you, I thought it was odd you didn't message, almost all renters send a frantic text asking if there's a generator in the house." Joe responded.

"Oh yeah." I thought about how I had tried to send a message, but my phone had died. "Actually, about the power. The lights are on but none of the appliances are working, you know, the TV, toaster, fridge."

"Hmm. That's strange, I'll look at it tomorrow, you're trying to leave tomorrow, right?" A chill went up my spine. Trying? I am leaving tomorrow. There was something off about this guy's face, his tone. Was it an honest mistake, or did Joe just let something slip?

"That would be great, let me get you something to eat." I said as I took a step back. Joe made his way to the kitchen and I followed, not before catching something out of the corner of my eye, though. There was something wedged in between a book shelf and wall, I rubbed my eyes, it had been a long day, when I looked again however, it looked all the same.

"Are you okay Lilia?" Joe smiled, he must have seen me looking.

"Yes, I'm totally fine, sorry. Here, oranges taste amazing in the cold, I have some left overs from a steak grill yesterday, they're probably cold though." I added.

"Don't worry, I'm not picky." He grinned, it wasn't a friendly grin however, something was off, I just couldn't tell what. I pushed the plate of leftovers towards him, I then poured two cups of water from a pitcher for the both of us.

"Actually, you'll have to excuse me, I have to use the restroom." He said.

"No problem at all! I'm guessing you know where it is." He laughed, then made his way to the bathroom. I sat down on one of the wooden stools, staring at my glass of water, my puzzled face stared back. I had to find out what that black thing was, it could be nothing, but my gut told me otherwise. I quickly ran over to the living room, carrying my stool with me. I then climbed up the stool and propped myself upwards. I shivered, was it me or did the room just get colder, staring right back at me was a mini camera. I heard a flush, and then a sink being turned on, I quickly hurried down the stool and ran back to the kitchen, Joe had reached it the same time I did.

“Where did you go?” Joe questioned.

“You know, just checking if the TV is working yet!” I lied, hoping he couldn’t see the sweat on my forehead and my left lip quivering. I watched as Joe’s eyes traveled to the oven which numbers were still blank.

“Why didn’t you just check the oven, it’s closer, and it’s obviously off.” He responded, I could feel his anger slowly rising.

“Oh, that would be smart. I guess I just didn’t think to, you know, like how I didn’t think to message you.” I quickly said, hoping he would buy my bluff. 

“I suppose your right. Now, this steak does look good!” He said

“Dig in!” I replied. I watched as he scarfed down mashed potatoes, green beans, and a big chunk of steak, I turned away and watched the heavy drops of snow flopping onto the ground. When will this blizzard end, when can I go home?

“Oh dear! It is getting late. Would you mind if I stay here for the night? My place is an hours drive away and the snow doesn’t seem to be getting better.” Joe asked. 

“Uhm, why not!” I said hesitantly. I didn’t want Joe anywhere near me, especially over night without my phone, I didn’t have any other choice though.

“Great!” he responded “I’ll go get my stuff!”

“Your stuff?” I blurted out, clearly not thinking. 

“I always keep a change of clothes in case of emergencies like this, looks like it paid off.” He responded as he marched out of the door straight to his car. I watched through the fogged window as he grabbed a backpack out of his car, thats when I saw it, I squinted my eyes, trying to unsee it, but sitting right there in his car was a large hammer and two pairs of gloves. I watched as Joe warily looked left and right, I watched as he quickly stuffed them into his backpack.

I gasped as my hand instantly covered my mouth, this was all happening. The camera, the power, and now this, none of it could be a coincidence. I couldn’t call the police though, I have no phone, and, even if I did it would take hours for them to come. 

Joe came through the door with his backpack swinging from his shoulder, his eyes now looked icier than ever.

“Which room did you take, I’ll go in the other” He said.

“I’m in the master, you know, the pink one.” I replied, not looking at him. 

“Got it. I’m gonna go crash” He said in a huff as he walked up the stairs. As soon as he reached the top I closed my eyes, trying to process what had just happened. That’s when I got it, why not take his car, why not just drive away. It seemed way to simple, there had to be some sort of flaw. The keys, I thought, the keys the keys the keys. I scanned the room, hoping to have some luck, and, there it was, sitting right under the microwave, waiting for me to snatch it. I took a look out of the window, the snow was still falling, there had to be at least a foot and a half of snow now, however it wouldn’t stop me, nothing could stop me from leaving this cabin.

I walked over to the living room, not daring to go upstairs. The more I thought about my plan, the more it started to make sense. I looked up to the camera, trembling at the thought that it could see right through my clothes, right into my thoughts, slowly forming a way to stop me. I couldn’t wait, I had to go now. I got up and slowly walked away from the camera, I walked over to the microwave, sliding the keys into my pocket, and then, as quietly as possible, I opened the door. 

As soon as I stepped out into the frosty air I made a run for it. A million thoughts were running through my head, the biggest one was that I should turn back and forget about my plan. However I kept running right on to the car. I whipped the keys out of my pocket and turned on the car as quickly as possible. I looked up and for a mere second, I could see Joe glaring down at me, and then slamming the curtains closed. I could imagine him lunging towards the door, his left fist clenched, and his right carrying a hammer. 

Finally, the car turned on, I threw the door open and jumped inside. As I looked down at the car I couldn’t help but notice a stick shift. I turned to the wheel, good thing my dad thought me how to drive it when I was thirteen. Just as I started backing out of the driveway the front door flung open, and Joe rushed out. He lunged at the car with his hammer, I braced, squinting my eyes closed, not wanting to know what was next. 

I waited for something, shattered glass, a hammer to my face, anything, but nothing came. I opened my eyes, Joe was no where, not in front, behind, or beside me, how did he vanish like that? I had a bigger problem now though, lunging right towards the car was a big brown grizzly bear, I swerved to the right, missing it by a millimeter. I turned around, expecting another attack, but the bear had left as if it had never come. 

Confused, I positioned myself upwards, practically squatting in the seat, and there was Joe, laying in the snow. I immediately cupped my hand over my mouth. I watched vaguely as snowflakes covered up his crimson red blood, I looked back at the bear, which was now peacefully walking back to her home, leaving paw prints as she left.

March 18, 2023 01:34

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.