0 comments

Drama Fantasy Inspirational

It was a bright and clear morning. It had been raining incessantly for some days. Something Sally detests. It rained cats and dogs a day before.

“Oh! I love this day. I feel like spreading my wings and flying away.”

She decided to ride to a coffee shop and indulge herself. She was about to place her order when a woman approached her. She had taken her order and was about to leave.

“Hello! You look familiar. Have we met before?”

“Good morning. No ma'am. I don’t think so.”

“Have you ever worked with a fashion designing outfit?”

“Yes.”

“House of Petals!” the woman shouted.

“Yes. Truly,” she nodded.

“Wow! Where have you been?”

“In my crib. In my neighbourhood.”

“Can you remember when I came asking for an elegant and well designed dress?”

“Yes. I can remember vividly. We asked if you had any design in mind and you said, ‘No'.”

“Oh! That dress, that dress you made was beautiful. It was indeed elegant. I was the centre of attraction. I was the cynosure of all eyes. I became an instant celebrity. Guess what?”

“I can't”

“I saw myself in a magazine!”

“Wow! So good. Out of the blues.”

“I asked who designed it. I was told you did. Wow! That was splendid. Well crafted."

“It’s an honour, ma'am.”

“I was told you left. What happened?”

“Yeah, I did.” She paused for a while and continued, “At that time, my contract was about to expire which it did few days later. I wanted to leave but she refused. Madame Tessy didn’t want me to. She wanted to renew the contract but the offer wasn't good enough. That was why I left.”

“Oh! She has missed an asset. Do you mind if I introduce you to someone?”

“No, I don’t.”

The woman dug into her bag and brought out a card.

“Yeah. Take this.”

“Wow! Exquisite Stitches! It’s a huge fashion house. A household name.”

“Yeah. She’s a friend. Call her. I’m sure she will be delighted to have you onboard.”

“I'll call her. Thank you ma'am.”

“Oh! No, it’s my sincere pleasure.”

Sally called the number on the card. She was scheduled for an appointment. After series of tests and interviews, she was considered eligible for the job. She was immediately employed. She was asked to resume the next day. She couldn’t hide her joy. It was a dream come true for her. She had longed to work with a vastfashion house of which Exquisite Stitches is one.

“Hello!”

“Hey! Hi!”

“Jasmine, guess what?”

“Wow! What happened? Did he come back? Did Gary come back?”

“No, it isn’t about Gary. Gary's gone. Gone for good. I don't want him back. It’s something else.”

“Tell me. Please I’m all ears. You sound very excited.”

“I just got a job offer.”

“Wow! I’m so happy for you. No more home trapped.”

“Really. Guess where?”

“Where?”

“E-x-q-u-s-i-t-e Stitches!”

“Wow! Really?”

“Yeah!”

“How did you do it? That place is a strong room.”

She narrated the story to Jasmine. She could barely sleep. She woke up at intervals. She couldn’t wait for morning to come. The night looked overstretched.

“Good morning.”

“Good morning. Please how can I help you?”

“I'm Sally Richardson. I’ve been offered a job here.”

“Oh! You are the one we’re expecting. The new fuse. It’s nice to have you join us. Welcome onboard. Hope you’re ready to fly?”

“Oh! Sure I am.”

“You're pretty. Nice smile.”

“Thank you. You’re pretty too.”

“Oh! That’s a compliment. Pretty hurts. Come let me show you to your office.”

They took the elevator. Sally was nervous. She could hear her heart pounding.

“This is your office. Isn’t it beautiful?”

“Yeah! It is.”

“Everything you need is here.”

“Ok.”

“If there’s anything you need don’t hesitate to call me. Just call on my name and I’ll be there.”

“Ok. Thank you ”

“Happy swimming but watch out for the sharks.”

“Sharks!”

“No, I’m just kidding. I can see you’re surprised.”

“Ok.”

“Make sure you ask to see the boss. Catch you later.”

Why did she mention the word, ‘Sharks’? I hope I’m in the right place? I hope I won’t be eaten up by sharks? Is there anything sinister about this place? Those were the thoughts running through her mind.

"Good morning ma'am."

"Oh! Good morning young lady."

"I was asked to come and see you."

"Ok. And who are you?"

"I'm the new creative designer."

"Oh! The one who was just employed. I was told you're a stuff. A connoisseur in designs. Loaded and ready to offload."

"I'll do my best."

She paused for a while and took a long stare at her and continued, "I hope you're best will be unprecedented?"

"Certainly."

"Good. There's a fashion show coming up in two weeks' time. I need some designs for our clothing line."

"Ok ma'am. When do you need them?"

"As soon as possible. Today, or the morning of tomorrow."

"Ok ma"am."

It wasn't an easy one for Sally. She hadn't seen anyone as fastidious and difficult as Madame Chante Hartwell before. She was more than the 'the devil wears Prada'. She had complaints on all her first set of designs. She went back and created new designs. When she took them back to her. She rejected most of them. She kept seeing flaws. Sally had sleepless nights creating and recreating. It was a week left and her designs haven't been fully endorsed. She was in a dilemma.

"Hello! Jasmine."

"Hey! Hi! How are you doing?

"I'm fine."

"Yeah! I can see. You've caught a big fish."

"Oh! Not as you think."

"What happened? What's the matter? I don't like the tone of your voice."

"It's my boss. That woman is indeed a shark. She's eating me up. She's draining me. She keeps rejecting my designs. She says they are not as perfect as she wants. I'm confused. I have only a week left for her to approve my designs. There's a fashion show around the corner. I don't know what to do."

"Hey! Girl you don't have to be confused. You"re young and gifted. You've paid your dues. You've worked. Your designs are priceless. They are gemstones. She knows herself. She's just been difficult. So, cheer up!"

"She's not the only one. They"re other sharks there. Sycophants. I'm caught up in their midst."

"Sally dear, if you don't feel at home there. I'd advice you leave. It's only at home you can give your best. Productivity is the end result of a sane mind."

"So what do I do? This is what I actually desired and prayed for. It's a dream come true. I've longed for it."

"Girl, this is not what you prayed for. This is just a foreshadow. Better and bigger things are ahead."

"So what do you suggest I do?"

"Give her the new designs you've come up with. If she still rejects them. You're done with. It means she has been blindfolded and she doesn't deserve you. Sell your designs to those who actually need them."

"Oh! Jasmine. Thank you so much. What can I do without you?"

"You"re welcome. What are we friends for?"

"For inconveniences."

They both laughed.

Madame Chante rejected most of the designs as usual. Sally wasn't perturbed. She had found a better way to promote her designs. She had devised a new means of showcasing her creativity. She sold her designs online. Some clients hired her to design for them exclusively for their shows. Her designs were phenomenon.

It"s been six years. Her business has grown by leaps and bounds. She has relocated to a more spacious place. She was seated by her desk pencilling some designs. Her phone rang.

"I'm sure it's Jasmine". She brought out the phone from her bag. " Oh! She isn't the one. Who might this be?"

"Hello!"

"Yes, hello!"

"Am I speaking with Sally?"

"Yes. Sure."

"Who is this?"

"It's Madame Chante."

"Oh! Madame Chante. It's so good to hear from you. It's been a while."

"How are you?"

"I'm fine. And you ma'am?"

"I'm Ok. Your designs are everywhere. They are stealing fashion shows. They've stolen the red carpet. I want to say a huge congratulations to you."

"Thank you ma'am."

"I want to apologise for the way I treated you. Your designs are gemstones. I was just been egocentric, foolish and blindfolded.. I'm very sorry."

"No problem. I'm glad I didn't throw in the towel."

"I'm glad for you, too. I'll call you later."

"Ok. Bye."

Sally shook her head. She heaved a sigh and whispered, "Thank you, Jasmine. I love you."










September 04, 2021 03:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.