11 comments

Contemporary Sad

Everything’s the same. Almost. The ground is the same. The sea in front of him is the same. The sky is the same. One of the things that is not the same, is the others' presence. His soulmate is not here. His other half is not here.

They used to come here a lot, and watch the sunrise together. Sometimes they would talk about random things, or sometimes they would not talk at all. It was just with each other, they would find peace.

But now, Elijah is here alone.

He first sees a line of a slightly white color. Then very light pink hues start to form. Shortly, red and orange follow, and Elijah can also see the sun peeking.

This part of the sunrise was his soulmate's favorite. 

He remembers his other half’s exact words about it, ‘It’s like the sun is peeking and asking if it is alright to come out. He's apologizing with the pinks if he is intruding on something. It's his way of knocking.’ Elijah still remembers the soft smile on his twin’s face when he said those words for the first time.

It was the morning of their 14th birthday. Isaiah crept into Elijah’s bed and woke him up. Elijah refused at first because he wanted to sleep more, but he couldn't. Isaiah wanted to go, and it was very difficult to stop Isaiah from doing something if he really wanted to do it.

So Elijah had to wake up.

Both of them took their bicycles, and raced to the beach.

Upon reaching there, they threw their bicycles on the sand, took off their slippers, and went to dip their feet in the water.

When the white light started to form, they immediately rushed out of the water and went to sit on the sand.

When the sun started rising, Isaiah said those words.

Elijah can feel a tear trickle down his cheek. He can't help it.

The sun is now fully up in the sky.

This same sun is a witness of the accident.

This same sun was getting ready to set, when he witnessed the accident.

He witnessed a truck slamming into a white colored Honda Civic.

When Elijah woke up after the accident, the only things he could remember was Isaiah, and blood.

When Elijah got the news, he was broken. He prayed for a miracle to happen, but no miracle happened. He started hating the pity looks that he would get. He even started smoking, but then stopped shortly after because he knew his twin wouldn’t want it for him. 

He dreaded seeing himself in the mirror, because his twin would stare right back at him.

But Elijah had to go on. He picked up his broken pieces, and started living again.

Although he started living again, even now, 7 years later, he misses Isaiah. He misses his dimpled smile, his laugh, his jokes, his endless talks, and whatnot.

How can he not? They were in the womb together. They did almost everything together. They were indeed, two peas in a pod in most of the things. 

Like most twins, they were best friends. They would immediately know how to cheer up the other when they were feeling down, when the other had something going on in their mind, always had each other's backs, and other typical best friend things. Being twins and having twin telepathy, was just the cherry on the top.

People always used to be amazed by their twin telepathy. Although both of them had gotten used to it by time, there were times when they got stunned by it too. 

They had so much fun using their telepathy to their advantage and tricking people.

And of course, the pranks that they used to play a lot on others. 

The main victims of their pranks would be their grandparents. Their innocent old grandparents.

They were affected by the accident too.

Isaiah being a very big part of Elijah’s life, Elijah never felt alone.

But now, he feels very alone. Although he sees a therapist from time to time, the void in his heart remains. 

Elijah is crying now. The tears are just flowing. He keeps wiping his nose with the tissue which he thankfully had. It's the first time that he has come here without Isaiah, and watched the sunrise alone.

He feels someone standing just behind him and giving his shoulder a squeeze. 

“Let’s go.” his mother says. 

He nods.

Even though his mother sees his tear stricken face and red nose, and she hears him sniffling, she doesn't say anything. She knows that Elijah needed this.

“Do you want me to…..?” she asks.

“Yeah.” he immediately says, and unlocks his wheelchair.

His mother takes hold of the handles and steers it towards the car.

When they reach home, his mother leaves him in the hallway, and goes to the kitchen to prepare breakfast.

Elijah takes hold of the wheels and starts going towards the rooms at the end of the hallway.

The door at the very last is ajar. He wheels inside.

The room is lit by the light of the same sun. The windows are open, giving the view of the backyard. 

Elijah wheels towards the bed that is placed in the centre of the room along the wall, and locks his wheelchair.

“Hey big bro. I went to watch the sunrise today. And uhhh…. it wasn't the same. Being there, my soul was yearning to be with its other half. Seven years later, I still haven't stopped waiting for you to wake up. And I won't stop. I just…. wake up. Hah! The irony. It was always you who used to wake me up. And now… it’s just… Anyways, I have…..” 

“Eli! Breakfast is ready!”

“Coming!” Elijah shouts.

“Ok, I gotta go and eat breakfast. Then that physiotherapist witch has to come. I'll come by and talk later.” 

With that, Elijah gives his comatose twin brother one last look, and wheels out of the room. 

June 22, 2021 13:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

11 comments

CJ Ives Lopez
19:51 Jul 02, 2021

I find this story very beautiful. I can see the powerful message in this story. I did find a couple of areas that I had to re-read due to it being unclear; however, the beauty is there. I think with a little revision, you could have such a powerful start to a whole book. I would have liked to understand more of what happened to Isaiah as it was not very clear, but I could feel the sorrow in Elijah's part. Keep writing, There is sorrow and beauty in what you write.

Reply

Hoor Amin
20:02 Jul 05, 2021

Oh my god. Thank you so much! The part about me having a powerful start to a whole book? Wow! That means a lot to me. And I left what happened to Isaiah, up to the reader. I intentionally didn't write too much about it. And could you please tell me what areas you had to re-read because they were unclear? Once again, thank you! Hope you have a good day/night!

Reply

CJ Ives Lopez
20:30 Jul 10, 2021

I copy and pasted the parts that I had to read a couple times below. Please understand that all feedback is opinion based. I may have had a hard time reading, but others may love it. Always take feedback with a grain of salt and take it as you will, but leave it if it does not resonate with you. I do enjoy this story it is very powerful. They used to come here a lot, and watch the sunrise together. Sometimes they would talk about random things, or sometimes they would not talk at all. It was just with each other, they would find peace. ...

Reply

Hoor Amin
19:28 Jul 13, 2021

I really liked reading your feedback and your thoughts! Next time I'll keep these things in mind. And thank you! I'm also looking forward to writing more stories. 😅😅

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Amel Parvez
13:17 Jun 23, 2021

Hooriya i was soo happy to see ur story and then excited to read it, am soooooo glad that i did. Hooriya this story is so Beautiful and sad. 'It’s like the sun is peeking and asking if it is alright to come out. He's apologizing with the pinks if he is intruding on something. It's his way of knocking.’ this dialogue is my fav!!!!!! Thumbs up!! Loved it. <3

Reply

Hoor Amin
15:16 Jun 23, 2021

Haha. THANK YOU!!! IT MEANS A LOT!! 💜💜

Reply

Amel Parvez
15:35 Jun 23, 2021

Na no problem!💙

Reply

Hoor Amin
16:37 Jun 23, 2021

❤❤

Reply

Amel Parvez
16:59 Jun 23, 2021

:D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Hoor Amin
15:16 Jun 23, 2021

And that dialogue is my fav too!

Reply

Amel Parvez
15:36 Jun 23, 2021

<3

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.