0 comments

Adventure Middle School Teens & Young Adult

I loved baking ever since I was a little girl I had always loved baking there was something that pulled me in and made me never want to stop. I had anxiety I had a really hard time talking to other people I only had a few friends there was Josh, Fred, and Lily. They got me and I get them I loved them I had been bullied all my life because of my anxiety and stutter, They didn't seem to care though and I liked it I liked feeling normal even if it was only for a fleeting second. Even with them though I wasn't as happy as when I was baking I just loved it to smell the cake baking in the oven to roll the cookies and cut out them and frost them. I loved it I craved it I hope that someday I could own my own bakery I would call it Hope's bakery. I'm getting ahead of myself though my name is Hope Walker i'm fourteen years old and in middle school. My friends are also in middle school golly did I love them. I though as I reached out and grabbed the flour today me and my group were going to enter the biggest cookie contest.

"Hope" I heard Josh say I smiled as I heard three pairs of feet walking into the hall.

"In here you guys" I said calling over my shoulder I walked over to the fridge and pulled out the milk and eggs for our cookie. I herd them walk into the kitchen then I felt a hand on my hip I turned around and saw it was Josh. I smiled at him and reached my arms up around Josh's neck burying my face into his chest. I heard a low whistle from some where behind us and I looked over ad saw Fred and Lily were looking at us.

"Look at the lovebirds" Fred said in a teasing tone giving us one of his famous smirks I rolled my eyes and shook my head though I couldn't help but let out a little giggle. me and Josh were just friends when would Fred and Lily get that in there head.

"Were just friends" I said Lily looked over to me now giving me one of her looks that clearly said I don't believe you I glared at her and she giggled again.

"Yeah just friends is that why you still have your arms wrapped around Josh's neck Hope" Lily said giving me a smirk I glared at her again before moving away from Josh.

"Okay lets get baking" I said trying to change the subject Lily and Fred smirked while I had a small tint of red covering both of my checks.

"Okay little baker what do we do" Fred said I smiled before handing him a mixer and a bowl as did I to the others. The day went by fast it was amazing baking with my friends by the time we were done baking the cookie was twenty inches wide and five inches thick.

"Look at our little baby" Lily said I smiled and laughed she looked like a proud mother. I grinned as I took the cookie and put it on the table for the judging. My mom and I were hosting the baking of the biggest cookie ever and I think we did a pretty good job of it.

"When are the others arriving" Josh said right as the doorbell rang I walked over and opened the door allowing the others to come into my house. I sighed as I looked at the other cookies the judges were judging the cookies and I was getting anxious I looked over at Josh and I saw he was looking at me. He smiled then looked down at my shaking hand he frowned then took my hand in both of his. I don't know if Josh knew it but I was so very grateful to have him next to me I wanted to win. I needed to win I wanted to prove to everyone that I wasn't just the girl who had horrible anxiety. I wanted them to see me not my anxiety I wanted to prove to them that I wasn't what they called me. I wasn't a freak and stupid and weird like they said I was. Maybe I also wanted to prove to myself that I wasn't what they said I was because each day a little bit of my self esteem was breaking away. Because of there bullying because of what they called me if it hadn't of been for Fred, Lily, and Josh I probably would have broken a long time ago. That didn't matter though I was still broken just the little broken girl just like everybody thought.

"Okay the team who won is Jace's group" I saw a blond haired boy who must have been Jace stand up and pump his fist in the air. I pulled my hand out of Josh's then ran out of the house not even bothering to look back. Once I was outside I sat down and cried and cried until I felt a hand on my shoulder I looked up and saw it was Josh. He pulled me close to him and held me while I cried wiping my tears here and there.

"Come on now Hope I know you didn't win but hey it was fun just to bake together we should do it more often." Josh said giving me a smile I smiled back thinking of what Josh said. Josh was like my brother I thought e had always been my brother even if we weren't blood related. Maybe I didn't win the contest but I did win in life by having the best big brother any girl could ask for. I was broken but Josh was helping me put myself back together piece by piece there would always be scars but I would be whole again all thanks to Josh.

December 12, 2020 02:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.