0 comments

LGBTQ+ Romance

Romance was hard to come by for Florence, most of the time her dates didn’t get far past the first one. For three years she had decided to put her heart in a box when it came to dating. She simply thought she wasn’t ready to try again. Instead, she focused on her single life, putting her needs first. Thinking that if she explored her own self that she would figure out what she wanted in her love life when she was willing to go back on the hunt for a lover. Thinking that maybe this next time she would explore her bisexuality and try dating both men and women. Before she had been too afraid to ask women out. 

She dodged plenty of sleazy men she came across over those three years. Plenty of them at her male-dominated field of construction. This was never a shock to her but she did think that perhaps her well-covered up body in her uniform would be enough to deter them but she was wrong. It was something she knew would be a challenge when she took on the job but she never backed down. They knew she was single though and kept pestering her to go out. Especially this one guy on her team named Jack. One day while they were putting together plans for a housing development he pulled her aside saying,

“Florence you’ve been avoiding a date with me for way too long. I know you like me, just give me a chance.”

“So that you can keep making comments like ‘nice butt’ or come over here ‘pretty babe’? You are so unprofessional sometimes it makes me want to vomit, just about as much as looking at your ugly face does. You disgust me Jack and I will not go out with you. I have told you time and time again that it will never happen so stop asking me.” She felt a little guilty taking it that far with the insults but he had done this too many times and had called her worse things anyways. 

“Whatever, you don’t know what you’re missing out on.”

“Let’s just go back to work, we have a lot to do and you know the boss doesn’t like to see us getting distracted.”

“I guess you're right Floor.”

“How many times do I have to tell you and the other guys not to call me that.”?

This was just another instance that reassured Florence that staying single for the time being was for the best. Until one day when she was out on her day off and browsing her favorite bookstore that had a great cafe as well. She picked out a book from the thriller section as she usually did, getting the next book in the series she had been reading. Then she walked over to the cafe, breathing in the delicious smell of coffee and baked sweets. Got into the short line of patrons and looked out in the dining area to see if there would be a seat she could go over to after she got her coffee and scone. 

“What can we get going for you,” asked the barista?

“You know, I’m feeling daring today and want to try something new. Do you have any suggestions”?

“Well, we have had people rave about the new mocha with cherry syrup. We even put chocolate sauce on the whipped cream and top it off with a cherry.”

“Why not? I do love cherries.”

“Okay, good choice, what size and anything else?”

“Oh, yes I will take one of your scones, I just love scones. Also, a medium-size would be great.”

“Me too and the ones we have here are so good.”

“Thank you.”

Florence went over to wait for her order and looked over the dining area again, surveying for a seat when a woman in the back corner caught her eye. She was reading a book with a vivid red cover, Florence couldn’t make out the title from that distance. Breaking her distraction, her order was ready. She took it graciously and had a sip, it was as tasty as she had hoped it would be. Now, she had never been very brave about walking up to pretty women and talking to them. However, this particular woman had a backpack adorned with pride emblems, so Florence thought it would be safe to try and approach. Feeling brave she walked over to the table and asked,

“Excuse me, could I sit with you?”

The woman looked unsure for a moment but then invited her to sit.

“What’s your name?” She asked as she looked over her glasses with her bright blue eyes. 

“I’m Florence,” she said kind of fumbling her words. 

The woman smiled big and said,

“Nice to meet you Florence, I’m Hailey, Hailey Haywick.”

“Cool, I like your name.”

“I like yours too, I don’t think I have met anyone named Florence before. Must be a bit of a rarer name.”

“I don’t know about that,” Florence said with a little giggle.

“So, do you want to tell me why you wanted to sit with me?”

Florence blushed a little, highlighting her high cheekbones, and explained,

“Well, I saw you and I just thought you were pretty. I’m sorry, I’m not very good at flirting.”

“It’s okay, I am not the best at it either but I think you’re off to a good start,” said Hailey with a wink. 

“Thanks.”

“I hate to cut this nice conversation off but I must be going but here is my number.” Hailey wrote her phone number out on a napkin with lovely handwriting.

“Great, I will call you.”

“I prefer text but you can call me if you want, I think I can make an exception.”

“Okay.”

Florence watched her leave with grace as she walked, it was mesmerizing. She then finished her coffee and started reading her book. Being distracted often while reading it by thinking about Hailey. She thought that when she would go back out in the dating world that she would have to use online dating. This was unexpected, here she was thinking that she would have to wait longer until she was ready but this woman made her think that she could try again. 

Florence wanted to text her right away but she didn’t want to seem desperate, so she did so after two days of waiting. A response was given pretty quickly and they agreed to meet for a date. The texts they sent back and forth were this,

Florence: Hey, this is Florence from the other day at the bookstore.

Hailey: Hey, I was wondering if you were going to contact me. I was waiting for your phone call.

Florence: I’m sorry, I should have called.

Hailey: That’s okay, like I said I prefer to text. I’m just going to go ahead and ask you out.

Florence: I would like to go out with you. 

Hailey: Awesome.

Florence: So, what would you like to do?

Hailey: Well, you know I have been on plenty of run of the mill dates. I think I want to try something new. So, I will have it be a surprise.

Florence: A surprise? Sounds fun and kind of frightening.

Hailey: Don’t be afraid, it will be fun. I saw that you had a thriller book in your hands at the cafe, I think this will be fun for you.

Florence: I guess I haven’t had anything new and exciting happening in my life recently, let’s do it.

Hailey: Great, I’ll pick you up, are you free Saturday?

Florence: Yes, what time?

Hailey: Hmm, how about I let you know when I decide on this surprise of a date.

Florence: I will wait. 

Hailey: Great, ttyl

Florence: ttyl

Over the next few days, Florence thought about the different things that Hailey might plan. Of course, she got her work done but she couldn’t help but be excited about her date. The question was would it be something kind of mild or something thrilling, something like what she had read in books over the years. Two days before Saturday came around, Hailey texted her.

Hailey: I have decided what we are going to do. It will be a daytime activity, so I will pick you up at noon.

Florence: Sounds good, here is my address,

752 S. Gerald St 

Hailey: Oh, I know where Gerald street is, my friend lives on that street. 

Florence: Cool, I will see you on Saturday at noon then.

Hailey: Yes, I think you will like this.

Florence: I bet I will. 

Hailey was prompt, coming right at noon to pick Florence up. She pulled up in a red sedan and Florence got into the passenger street. Going into this date Florence expected something like paintball as a thrilling date, something she always wanted to try out. Hailey had something different in mind and her expectations were high, she didn’t predict how Florence would react. She just expected her to enjoy it. 

As they headed for the date, Hailey started to go out of town which prompted Florence to ask,

“Why are we leaving town?”

“You will see.”

Although Florence knew it was far fetched, she thought back to when Hailey said it could be like one of her thriller books. Of which could mean something bad could happen. She shook off this thought process as being paranoid. 

Hailey pulled off the road and headed down an unpaved road. 

“Now, I really have to know, what are we doing all the way out here?”

“Just trust me, we are going to have fun.”

They came upon what looked like a campground and Hailey found a parking spot. 

“We’re here.”

“Okay, so what are we supposed to be here doing?” Florence looked around and thought that this was not what she was expecting. She wore comfortable clothing like Hailey had told her but she didn’t really come prepared to be out in the middle of nowhere. 

“Come to the back of the car and I’m going to explain.”

“All right, this is interesting.”

They got out of the sedan and Florence looked around the dusty campground flanked by tall trees. Hailey opened the trunk and Florence saw that it was full of hunting gear. 

“Um, are we going to go hunting?”

“Yes, we are.”

“Well, this is not something I had in mind when you said a surprise.”

“That’s the point of a surprise, silly.”

“I guess but you should know that I don’t hunt.”

“It’s fine, I will teach you.”

“No, you don’t understand, I refuse to hunt. My dad did that when I was a kid and he was shot accidentally by one of his friends that went out with him.”

“Oh my goodness, that’s terrible. I didn’t know and I would try to make this a good experience for you.”

“I appreciate that but I just can’t do this.”

“I understand and I guess we should leave then.”

“I’m sorry, I know you were just trying to do something different for a date. I honestly didn’t peg you as the hunting type.”

“Well, we’ve only just met and I might look girly but I don’t really act like it sometimes.”

“Fair, I am sorry if that was an insult.”

“It’s not, don’t worry. So, can I get a second chance at this date?” Hailey asked this and looked like she was cringing a bit. 

“Yes, we certainly can. Do you want to do something else today?”

“Sure but I think it would be best if you picked.”

“Well it’s not hunting but I have always wanted to go paintballing. Something I think is less harmless than actual guns.”

“That is true and I can attest that it is really fun. I don’t know why I didn’t think of that.”

They got back in the car and although this date was not what either of them expected, they were going to turn it around. Finding that paintballing was a fun and kind of thrilling date. They continued to date and Florence was glad she took a chance on romance again. 

February 15, 2021 03:10

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.