Going through today

Submitted into Contest #58 in response to: Write a story about someone feeling powerless.... view prompt

9 comments

Creative Nonfiction Drama Mystery

i wept in the cold , strange aura of the restroom . i was the only one in . i sobbed and sobbed , i felt lonely and in need of a hug and someone telling me it's going to be okay even though i know it's not . i calmed myself down a bit and reluctantly left the bathroom stall and went towards the sink . i splashed water to my face and looked at myself in the mirror which reflected a pale woman with bloodshot eyes and water dripping down her chin , her hair was a mess her clothes were a mess , she looked like a mess more tears

dripped down along with the water.

i splashed some more water and stared at myself for a few minutes and then finally left the restroom , as soon as i got out , the world was noisy and busy and full . People filled in every nook and corner all busy with their own concerns , it was then i realized that the world isn't small , it's big it's really really big and i was just a mundane human who was lost in the crowd.

The fear of oblivion crept inside and slithered down my spine and i shuddered . New York was a big city. i walked where my legs took me . My phone rang from inside of my bag , i turned it off and continued my walk until i was unaware of where i was , i reached a deserted place .

i had no idea that there was a place in New York where there were no people , i looked around and there were no people , it was quite and calm . i turned around and saw a small abandoned park , i went inside and thought about what happened today , and pictures ran through my mind and tears filled my eyes and anger bubbled in my heart , anger burned through my veins , i kicked a bench and started screaming my lungs out .

i tried to calm myself but i couldn't anymore , i was tired of bottling up my feeling . i wanted to let it all out , years and years of pain and anger all coming out this day in this empty park in the middle of nowhere on the day before Christmas eve . i was tired of being someone that's not me , i was tired of never expressing my feeling , my sadness my anger i was tired of being told that i didn't matter, because i did .

i looked up and said ,"it's not fair" i repeated it again and again each time louder than the last . i continued kicking and punching and screaming till i was out of everything , energy , breath , sound everything . i sat down on the bench nearby , i felt powerless , i felt like there was nothing more or less i could do , i felt like living was not worth it . i felt like my destiny was being controlled by everything but me .

i searched through my bag and found my phone , i turned it on and saw the million missed calls and voice mails from Ayala , Katie, Maria , Connor , Alex and many others as well . i Sighed . i needed music now that would help me . i clicked open Spotify and played my usual playlist , i didn't want earphones i just wanted to be free.

As the heavenly voice of Louis Armstrong filled around me, i sighed again ,cold breeze hit my face but that was the least of my worries , i pulled my sweater closer. The song changed to la vie en rose i put it on repeat and just stared at a tree in front of me .

All of a sudden something white fell on my shoulders and i gazed up , it was snowing . a smile popped up my face and it all seemed out of a fairy tale. i got up and enjoyed the weather , it was getting colder but i didn't mind a bit . this was the best thing that happened to me today . Today..... memories rushed back and i fell back into the spell.i wanted to throw stuff again

But i didn't have the energy to get up and start the charade again , i just sat down again and hugged my legs and buried my face in my legs and tears dripped down , but at this point i didn't care , because i had hit rock bottom , i felt so powerless and useless , i felt like the world was better of without me . I lifted my head and gazed up at the dark hollow empty sky filled with white shining stars. the song continued and went on. and it kept snowing . i kept my focus on the stars.

A whole galaxy gazing at my helplessness . As thoughts buried my head and tears begin to choke out again , a small but efficient part of my head told me to pull myself together and stay strong , and that positive thought spread all over my head and soared through my heart . i got up up from the bench and straightened myself .

I was at the other end of the park . i grabbed my phone and put it back inside my bag and slowly started my way out of the park , the events that took place today was terrible , i couldn't not think about but i shouldn't throw my life and my work away for it. justice will be earned .

Something burned inside me , it wasn't just anger it was inspiration and the motivation to do something , to bring my change to the world . i was sure that once i left the park i would do something , something that would bring a change that this world needed.

it started snowing heavily , but that didn't light anything down and my tears were long gone , it was time to do something , to play my part . pain wouldn't become part of my daily routine . My words and my actions would make a difference and i would make sure of it.

with a last glance at the park , i left the place and headed towards the city.

September 05, 2020 17:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

9 comments

17:33 Sep 05, 2020

Beautiful story! Sad but I enjoyed the ending ;) Fantastic job!

Reply

Liya Mariyam
07:13 Sep 06, 2020

than you so much

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Hamadryad 77
00:21 Sep 13, 2020

Hello, since you thoughtfully let me know about the presence of errors in my story, I am here to return the favor. I noticed that you forget to capitalize at the beginning of sentences, especially when you use the pronoun I, and that you used a comma instead of a period in this sentence, "and then finally left the restroom , as soon as i got out". Also, this is fairly minor but there's no need to put spaces before punctuation. Thanks for the exchange!

Reply

Liya Mariyam
06:41 Sep 14, 2020

thank you so much for the feedback i'll keep all this in mind next time i write a prompt

Reply

Hamadryad 77
18:50 Sep 14, 2020

You're welcome ^^

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B Easton
19:27 Sep 07, 2020

Hi so that was a very good story. I liked the character and I thought the feelings of helplessness were conveyed well. However, if I were to give one piece of advice, typically it's easier to convey a sense of helplessness when the character fails at something. Since whatever happened to her before the story is never shown we never quite see her fail and thus the feelings of helplessness are harder to sympathize with even though I like her inner thoughts.

Reply

Liya Mariyam
06:17 Sep 08, 2020

thank you for the feedback i'll keep that in mind the next time i write a story

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Autumn Williams
19:01 Sep 07, 2020

Awe. I felt so bad for your character, I just wanted someone to hug her and tell her that she mattered! I'm very glad she found the strength to continue her fight through life, even in what seems to be a very dark time for her. It speaks to her bravery and courage as a human being. Good job 💜💜💜💜💜

Reply

Liya Mariyam
06:18 Sep 08, 2020

thank you so much

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.