Perception is Everything

Submitted into Contest #105 in response to: Write a story from the point of view of three different characters.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction Friendship

“Come on, can we go on, please?” I begged her. My lower lip forms a pout that I realize she’s paying no attention to. I turned my attention to our friend, Monica who stood beside me. She wore the same facial expression as I wore: annoyance. 

It’s not that I didn’t want to be here, it had just been a long day. I had spent the majority of my day arguing with a client, and as much as I loved spending time with Monica and Tandori, there were just some days I would rather stay in bed. But a promise is a promise no matter what, and this was something Tandori had been wanting to do forever. 

“It’s just so fascinating, you know?” She ignored everything I had just said. She simply stood still, in front of a painting. It was of a bull, and a bull fighter. It was painted with watercolours, and to me seemed to lack imagination. 

“I don’t get it” I told her honestly, and she sighs, closing her eyes. 

“Art isn’t something you ‘get’, it’s just something you feel, you know?” She asked me, turning her attention back to the painting. 

“No, we don’t” Monica piped up, her tone very agressive. “Can we please go now? My feet are killing me” she whined, and I can see that it’s the moment that breaks Tandori’s trance from the painting. 

“Fine, let’s just go” Tandori sighs, her eyes looking sad. I frown, feeling a tinge of guilt. 

“Finally” Monica blurted out, as we slowly walked on to the next painting. She glances down at her phone and grimaces; clearly something wasn’t right in the world of Monica. 

“Everything okay?” I asked her, once we had reached the last painting of the pop up gallery. The reason I felt so guilty about rushing her, and why I came despite the day I had was because this was a once in a lifetime experience. Once a year, one of the most well known art exhibits would pick a city and set up their gallery. It was their way, they reasoned, with Covid and travelling restrictions, to allow a greater audience to appreciate the work. 

“Hmm? Oh, yeah fine” she muttered, turning her attention back down to her phone. “Just work stuff.” I bit my tongue; it definitely had nothing to do with work, but why was it any of my business? 

“Just give me a moment, and then we’ll go” Tandori whispered, as she turned her full attention to the painting that stood in front of us. This time I really didn’t understand; it was just a bunch of Colors on a canvas; what was so special about that? 

“Alrighty” I mumbled in reply, sighing and taking a look around the gallery. Besides Tandori being enthralled with this new painting and Monica vigorously texting beside me, there wasn’t much action. It was nearly closing time, and most of the people had already been here during the day. This was another reason we came so late; so Tandori could take her time and look at paintings on her own watch, not worried about strangers rushing her. 

All I can think about is hopping into my pj’s, grabbing a good book and settling on the couch, a random Netflix show on in the background to keep me company. 

“They’re almost closed, we should go” Monica piped up, seemingly done with her phone for now. I can see the irritated look on Tandori’s face, but only for a moment. 

“Fine. Let’s go.” 

“Come on, can we go, please?” Sarah asked, a pout on her face. She turned to look at me, and I note we have the same feelings about being here. 

“It’s just so fascinating, you know?” Tandori muttered, ignoring what Sarah had just said. I tried not to let out a frustrated sigh. All we were looking at was a painting of a bull. A bull and a bullfighter, painted in water color. The piece itself I had to admit was pretty nice; a lot of detail was included. But it wasn’t nice enough to warrant standing and staring at it for this length of time. 

“I don’t get it” Sarah spoke up, and I can see Tandori sigh. 

“Art isn’t something you ‘get’, it’s just something you feel, you know?” She asked, and I had to assume it was more of a rhetorical question, though I decide to answer anyway. 

“No, we don’t” I snapped, my tone dripping with annoyance. “Can we please go now? My feet are killing me” I told her with a grimace. This seems to finally get her attention. 

“Fine, let’s just go” Tandori sighed, and I kept with joy on the inside. I feel my phone buzz in my pocket. I take a moment to glance at it, and I note Chris has finally texted me back. 

“Finally.” I mumbled, annoyed. He hadn’t been responding to my texts all week, and now he finally did. Pulling out my phone, I read the message, trying not to scream as I did. 

Hey. Sorry I didn’t message you back. It’s been a crazy week. Meet up later? 

Your excuse is that it’s been a crazy week? Like hell! I’ve been worried sick about you all damn week. 

Im fuming as I text out my reply. I hit send, anxiously waiting when I see the three dots appear on my screen, showing he was in the midst of typing. 

“Everything okay?”  Sarah asked me, and I try and gain my composure. Tandori and Sarah weren’t exactly fans of my boyfriend, Chris. They didn’t like the way he treated me, and thought I could do much better. I stopped telling them anything that had to do with him; I knew what kind of reaction I was going to receive. 

“Hmm? Oh, yeah fine” I mumbled, checking my screen to see if a message had popped up yet. “Just work stuff” I added for good measure, hoping it was believable. 

“Just give me a moment, and then we’ll go” Tandori muttered, and I just nod in response. 

I know, and im sorry. Come over later, I can make it up to you ;) 

Seriously? You think after all this sex is going to fix this? 

Baby come on don’t be like that 

I can’t talk about this right now. Im busy

 “Alrighty” I think I heard Sarah mumble, but im not sure; I’m too concentrated on the conversation in front of me. 

Oh yeah, busy doing what? Honestly, this isn’t worth my time. 

I felt my heart plunge. I wasn’t worth his time? I knew I wouldn’t be able to stand in this gallery any longer; I had to get out of here, and quickly. 

“They’re almost closed, we should go” I told them with as much sincerity as I can. As far as I can tell, neither of them have any idea what’s going on. 

“Fine. Let’s go.” 

“Come on, can we go, please?” Sarah asked, her tone feigning annoyance. I pay no mind to it; this exhibit was a once in a lifetime opportunity!  

“It’s just so fascinating, you know?” I told them, a smile playing on my lips. This painting. This beautiful, watercolour painting. It was in theory, quite a simple one. It showcased a bull and a bullfighter. Evidently, the bull was angry, the bullfighter egging him on. I never claimed to be an art expert, nor do I believe there’s a deeper meaning to everything; but it’s just so interesting to try and picture what the artist envisions when they put the brush to canvas. 

“I don’t get it” Sarah announced, and I sigh. Not everyone can appreciate art, I guess. 

“Art isn’t something you ‘get’, it’s just something you feel, you know?” I tried to explain, though I had a feeling they wouldn’t understand. It was nice of them to offer to come with me, but I would have been happier by myself. Their presence was disturbing, and made me feel rushed. But, they had insisted when I had told them about it months ago, that they wanted to be here. 

“No, we don’t” Monica snapped; she sounded beyond pissed. “Can we please go now? My feet are killing me” I frown, my attention being averted away from the beautiful work of art. 

“Fine, let’s just go.” I breathed, hurrying on to the next one. 

“Finally” Monica mumbled, and I feel a tinge of sadness. If they didn’t want to come, why were they here? 

“Everything okay?”  Sarah asked Monica. I look over to see Monica enthralled in her phone. I shake my head, trying to concentrate on the newest piece before me. 

“Hmm? Oh, yeah fine” she mumbled back, her eyes never leaving her phone. “Just work stuff” she added, to try and make her lie believable. Though I knew it had nothing to do with work I didn’t press any further; I only had a limited amount of time before this gallery closed, and I would never be able to see all of its beauty again. 

“Just give me a moment, and then we’ll go.” I brush them off, forgetting they were there as I allowed myself to get lost in the painting. 

 “Alrighty” Sarah mumbled. 

The next painting was a beautiful array of colours. It was water paint, and show cased all the beautiful colours of the rainbow. It was mesmerizing; I found myself instantly captivated. 

“They’re almost closed, we should go” Monica instructed us. At this point, I’m frustrated with the both of them. This was my chance to see this exhibit, the one I had been talking about for months, and this was the reaction I was getting? 

“Fine. Let’s go.” I spat, leading the way out of the exhibit, not bothering to look behind me.

So you see, how important perception is. Individually, each person sees the events that are transpiring through their own eyes, using their own thoughts, emotions, and experiences. Your tone, the meaning behind your words, comes across differently to everyone you speak to. It’s always important to bear this in mind.

Everyone is going through a battle you know nothing about, always remember this. What might be okay to say to one person, might not be okay to say to another.

Take this important lesson with you, in everything you do.

August 04, 2021 23:15

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.