15 comments

Drama Mystery Thriller

Can you keep a secret?

I suspect that you have to be able to do that based on your chosen profession I mean.

So I have been hearing voices for as long as I can remember. And that’s not the secret part. It’s one of the first things I told you when we met at your birthday party. And yes I know it’s strange to meet your therapist at their birthday party; but I was seeing your cousin at the time and they brought me along. It was your cousin who recommended that I start seeing you in a professional manner.

One of my first memories: I had to have been maybe 3 years old, and the voice would talk to me about using the potty. I feel like I have to explain a little. When I say voices; I mean more of an internal disembodied voice that would sometimes go on, and on. It wasn’t like I would talk to the voice and it would answer; and it wasn’t like talking to myself. And it also wasn’t “God” or my neighbor’s cat talking to me. I’m not crazy; I just have a Voice. Although the whole disembodied Voice thing does not do much to prove that I am “Sane”.

I talk to myself about as much as anyone, and I have found throughout my life that talking to myself; either out loud or internally, has helped me make certain decisions. The difference for me is that my Voice speaks of its’ own accord and often doesn’t agree with me. To be perfectly honest; it usually doesn’t agree with me.

My parents used to think that I had an imaginary friend: but it wasn’t really like that for me. I never associated the Voice with any of the classic imaginary friend tropes like animals or another child similar to myself, or even a ghost.

Over the course of my life, the Voice has gotten more pervasive, and persistent. Several times a day I can rely on it to make it’s presence felt. And during this past year it has gotten much more aggressive and I dare say; oppressive. That’s really why I followed your cousins’ suggestion to start seeing you as my therapist.

Yeah I know that you are my therapist; and you aren’t saying anything, or asking any questions right now, but that’s understandable considering the situation. You really don’t have a choice right now; but don’t worry,  before we’re done, you will get a chance to put your two cents in soon enough.

It’s ok for me to talk out loud and for you to listen. You have asked me before about the Voice and things that it says; and admittedly I have been vague about it. It’s just that the Voice has been a part of me for so long; it’s one thing that is mine alone, and I don’t like to share it. My parents made me feel “off” because of the Voice, after they realized that it wasn’t an imaginary friend; but that their child had something wrong with them. Mom and Dad didn’t want people to know there was something wrong with me; so they didn’t send me away or put me in therapy.   Any time I told them about the V oice they would tell me it was just my imagination – running away with me- but it was a part of me. And my parents would be embarrassed if their friends knew that their child was some kind of whackadoo.  So after a while I stopped telling people about the Voice. It was still there; always chatting, spouting off nonsense and or wisdom depending on your point of view, about how I should be living.

The Voice has been getting progressively worse over the past year. That’s what convinced me to listen to your cousin and take you on as my therapist. Our sessions have been interesting; and very therapeutic. That makes perfect sense; you being a therapist and all.

I know you tried a variety of things; the hypnotherapy was interesting but you know I never really was able to go “under”, so that therapeutic tact didn’t work. Regression therapy didn’t do anything for me either. I apparently have only ever been me. I don’t know if that disappoints me or not. I always thought it funny that people always claim to be someone famous or infamous from their “past lives”. Why can’t just one person have been a nameless milkmaid or a common chimney sweep or something else mundane? 

You told me that you are not a big fan of medication but you do admit that some courses of treatment are definitely …I think efficacious was the word you used. So when you started having me try different types of medication, I figured what the hell! It couldn’t hurt right. Although of course I guess it could hurt; but the Voice just wouldn’t stop butting in, more and more. 

It took several different medications, and some interesting, and some disquieting side effects. I gotta tell you that anal leakage was not fun.

So you did finally find a medication that worked for me. I can see by your surprised look that you didn’t know that. I didn’t tell you for reasons of my own. That’s actually part of the secret that I want you to keep for me. 

You see the other part of the secret is what the Voice actually says to me. Remember I told you that the Voice has been advising or bossing me around my entire life. One of my earliest memories of the Voice was when I was a toddler and heavy into toilet training. 

The Voice insisted that I poop in the potty. It kept on and on about how I shouldn’t poop on the carpet or in my Daddy’s briefcase like I wanted to. Time after time the Voice would browbeat me into doing things it’s way. Behave it would say; follow the rules, don’t set your neighbor’s cat on fire.  The Voice always making me toe the line. After puberty the Voice really got bossy. Don’t shit on your neighbor’s lawn. Don’t put sugar in your English teacher’s gas tank no matter how much you didn’t like that twit.

Now you haven’t had much to say; because I have you bound and gagged, so that’s no surprise. I am going to take out your gag now so we can talk some more. You see the voice has been gone for the last few weeks. One of the last things the Voice insisted was that I not kill and eat your receptionist. 

Have you noticed that they have not come in to work or called for a few days? I need to know if you can keep a secret. 

Your receptionist was delicious.

August 22, 2020 03:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

15 comments

Brynn Helena
17:45 Jul 14, 2022

RIVETING! this has a playful darkness to it that i just love. love the small "twist" of The Voice being a positive influence rather than a negative one the way most would assume. the only thing i wish is that this was longer!! i could read so much more about this concept and never get bored. it actually reminds me a tad of the film "Daniel Isn't Real." you've definitely managed to capture the same uncomfortable feelings here. so, so well done!!

Reply

John Del Rio
21:30 Jul 14, 2022

Thank you so much for your thoughts/comments. The seed idea of the story was the simple thought/question. Why do people who hear voices only ever hear the voice say bad things.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Charles Stucker
21:37 Sep 13, 2020

"Voice speaks of its’ own accord " it as a possessive is its. There are two forms of it it with an s. It's= it is. Its= belonging to it. And that is it. "It’s ok for me to talk out loud" OK is always capitalized- for reasons, though they're sort of sketchy. "Any time I told them about the V oice " an automated spell/grammar check will eliminate this problem. Also, voice ends a subordinate clause and should be followed by a comma. "really was able to go “under”, so that therapeutic tact didn’t work" tact might be either tactic or t...

Reply

John Del Rio
21:58 Sep 13, 2020

Thank you for your critique. I was a trainer in the corporate world for 15 years so I appreciate good feedback. I wonder why Ok is always capitalized. Maybe therapeutic technique instead of tact. I will read more of your work, but would enjoy reading more about the Countess in our modern world.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Yolanda Wu
06:21 Sep 12, 2020

Wow, your characterisation of the Voice was amazing. I was so intrigued and hooked throughout the entire story. It was disturbing and gave off such a chilling vibe, the use of first person referral was done so well to capture that vibe. And goodness gracious me, that ending. I'm such a fan of twist endings. You did it so well, managing that balance between it not being too sudden and nonsensical, and having that build-up to the moment, but have it still come as a shock to the reader. Those last few paragraphs were just perfect, and that last...

Reply

John Del Rio
22:46 Sep 12, 2020

thanks for your feedback. i'm glad you enjoyed it. it came from me wondering why "voices" always tell people to do bad things: why couldn't it tell people to do good things.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lyn M
00:18 Sep 05, 2020

Wow. I have to say, this was a little disturbing! (In a good way though). While I could see the twist coming of the therapist being tied up, I had no idea that you had an even darker twist planned for the end of the story! I like how your narrator sounded so reasonable through most of the story too; I think it almost made the whole situation eerier. Really interesting concept.

Reply

John Del Rio
04:26 Sep 05, 2020

thanks for your thoughts on the story. i appreciate it. the seed of the story came from my wondering why voices always said bad things to people. what would it be like if the voices were actually telling someone to be good...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
. .
22:54 Sep 01, 2020

I love the descriptions and detail! What a Wonderfully written story

Reply

John Del Rio
02:47 Sep 03, 2020

thanks for your comment. glad you liked the story. it came from an idea/realization that "voices" always tell people to do bad things: what would it be like if the voices told you "good" things..

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kaylee Tinsley
13:46 Oct 21, 2020

Hi! Just now getting the chance to read this, and I have to say... wow! When you commented on my story and mentioned that your story didn't end as well as mine... this was NOT what I was expecting- especially based off the happy stories that you have written in the past! I say all that to say... I LOVED IT!! I will be honest and say I guess I am not very perceptive, because I had NO IDEA that it was going to take this turn! Your last sentence especially packs a punch! Honestly, while I was mid-read, I was not really sure where you were go...

Reply

John Del Rio
19:43 Oct 21, 2020

Hello, Glad you enjoyed it. I appreciate your insightful feedback. I like the little touch about having the voice be in lower case after it is dwindled by the meds.

Reply

Kaylee Tinsley
20:28 Oct 21, 2020

Lower case! Yes- I was having a major brain fart earlier and could NOT figure out what it was called, so I called it under-case!! XD No problem though for the input! Like I said, great job!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Cal Carson
18:26 Oct 20, 2020

Wow, chilling and disturbing story, but in a good way! I did this prompt too, but this story takes it in places I never would have dreamed of, good job! Loved the fact that the narrator was contradicting the Voice, but still did bad things, that's really unique. Just make sure you spell out smaller numbers, like in "I had to have been maybe 3 years old." But great work, keep it up.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jade Young
18:02 Sep 13, 2020

OH MY SOUL WHAT DID I JUST READ? I have literal chills and goosebumps. Your writing is really powerful. And the ending. Oh my soul, I'm in shock. I was so intimidated. And all because of the descriptions you used, and the diction throughout your story that made me hold my breath from beginning to end. But these last few paragraphs aside, the buildup of tension, how it seemed like a normal counselling situation in the beginning, but slowly gave way to something far more sinister, just astounds me. I'm definitely looking for more of your work...

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.