2 comments

Christian Christmas Funny

Once again, it'll be here before we know it. That day that will once again live in infamy, only in a different century. We all made a pact to do what we were going to do a long time ago. But here we are, still dragging our feet with another deadline fast approaching. It was to be a pivotal time for all of us. The excitement was so real back then. Back then? I believe it was only last year we said we'd go for it. What were we thinking of? I don't know if each of us understood the sincere trust people were giving us to head out on this unique journey of a lifetime. Since then, we had no further doubts. No questions. 

"OK! We're on it. This year will be our time. Excuses are for losers, and we are not that by a long shot!" Melchior was taking charge of the three and their road trip. They all came to an agreement and followed his guidance. This was going to be us three wise guys doing something we all felt compelled right to the core. Our focus was the end destination, Bethlehem. We bowed our heads for a moment of reflection and prayer. 

Mel told Balthazar and Caspar to meet him in the barn when they finished packing up their gifts. It took a while, as the end journey was to be a memorable moment. Reflecting on how this would be changing history was something Melchior could only begin to get a feeling for as the unknown was all about to unfold.

"Make sure you include a nice note to Mary. It's been a long way to travel with baby due very soon." They could only imagine what it was like to know your child. Soon the world would know, and it will be a forever moment in time. There was this King nearby, whom they knew they needed to avoid at all costs. That would not be a problem since it was in the dark of night, and they would be arriving with only the north star guiding them. They would not call attention to themselves for Mary's sake.

Now they needed to get their travel wagons, aka camels, prepped and ready for their adventurous journey to Bethlehem. Time was pressing on, and they had not a moment to ponder. The clock was nearing the midnight hour to leave. No delay.

A few years ago, their names were picked out of a hat at a church event. They just happened to be at a card game that the church hosted as a fundraiser for a bigger event to highlight the Christmas season. There were a lot of people there, more than likely to partake of the rum and to eat the figgy pudding. It was a well-advertised social event and it brought many from near and far. Even so, they did put the money up to buy tickets and put their names in the hat. If they only knew what they really would be asked to do had they won. Could the average person pull it off? 

Now, here the three of them were, owning up to that challenge. Were they surprised when their names were called out? Not so much. They each felt a calling and were determined to do their part. Each had secretly hoped that they could play cards a little bit longer and win a little chunk of change. That jug of rum was seeing way too many guests. Poker was always their game and the game of chance for many. Melchior finished buffing the hoofs of his camel when he heard Balthazar and Caspar laughing and talking loud outside. He went out to find them ready to go; a bag of snacks and their dress outfits tied and bundled up. 

 "Mel! We got time for a polo match. These camels need to work up their steam to make sure they are up for the trek. Right?" It was a fun thought, but Mel shook his head. "Next time." He knew where this would lead and there was no time to get lost in the desert. This happened to him once a long time ago and he made sure he had his GPS tucked neatly in his pocket.

Balthazar found his ride and went over the animal nose to tail to make sure he was ready for the long walk over a plethora of sand dunes. Caspar did the same and it looked like the boys were all set to go. 

They made sure that their outfits were matching in reflection of the certain time period they traveled tonight. Would not want anyone pointing fingers had they not thought this through enough to be as important as it was. Each was bringing a part of their heritage and it would most definitely be noticed. Headwear, bling, and clothing style along with their gifts spelled integrity with just enough flash of pizazz.

The three now stood at the edge of the town center. They walked their camels over to stand for a moment together before heading out to begin the ride and the reason for the season. This most definitely was the way to begin a new year. One with peace on earth and the promise of good will towards men.

Suddenly, they were caught off guard, when the church folk appeared with banners waving and horns. Fireworks appeared overhead and cheers were everywhere. The pastor spoke loudly to the three of them, thanking them for their service. "May the Lord see you on your way on this once in a lifetime journey." He added one final note. "Don't dilly dally because time marches on and we have a bet going. When you get back, the one who sees Herod first and drops his drawers wins the prize!" 

"We will continue this tradition every year. No exceptions!" The crowd cheered and we just looked at each other then, raised a fist and the crowd went wild.

As we headed off into the dark following the guiding light, we paused a moment and Melchior said what we were all thinking, "What did we just agree to do?"

December 31, 2021 22:58

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Kendall Defoe
23:41 Jan 06, 2022

Very clever. I like this one!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Tricia Shulist
16:15 Jan 03, 2022

Interesting. A mix of the new and the old. Thanks for this.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.