Ellie's Turbulent Love

Submitted into Contest #65 in response to: Write about a group of witches meeting up on Halloween night.... view prompt

0 comments

Romance Lesbian Drama

The wind was howling. The hail was screaming. The gloom was mounting. 

The darkness of this present world was starting to consume her.

Burying her alive, Killing her inside, Suffocating her from the inside out.

The hope that once resided from within her was slowly over time being destroyed.

Twisting and Turning.

Her insides burning.

Her flesh decaying. 

There was no use in praying.

Pariah Moths feasting on the chaos in her mind.

Anguish, Agony and Anxiety contaminating all around her.

Political vampires sucking her dry to the bone.

Being completely bled out.

Leaving her feeling completely alone.

What was real and what was fiction?

She was feeling the weight of the world on her shoulders.

Sounds of High pitched soprano and alto voices singing in the distance.

Maybe there was a possibility of a magical meeting…

Crumpling the college ruled notebook paper she was writing the poem on into the size of a golf ball and tossing it into the small trash can beside her desk. Why was writing poetry sooo difficult? She sighed inwardly, leaning back against her bamboo pillow with her back against the wall as she sat with her lumpy solid black comforter on her legs and mindlessly was petting Ruby, her black cat. She grabbed her small black sketchbook, some pencils, an eraser and sharpener from her black canvas shoulder bag and sat on the window seat. 

“Uh Oh, Ellie, what happened? Someone’s sketching instead of writing. What’s wrong?” 

Pushing her medium curly auburn hair behind her left ear, looking up from her sketchbook Ellie’s amber eyes softened as she looked at who was leaning in the doorframe. Keira. She was 5’7, had an athletic build, short shaggy black hair with dark blue highlights on her bangs, full pouty lips, and dark brown eyes that always had small black square frames covering them. She smelled of cinnamon and pumpkin and gave the best hugs. Today she was wearing black leggings with black shorts and purple stripes down the sides and a solid purple long tank top with matching purple and white sneakers. She had her arms crossed in front of her and was leaning on the doorframe with one foot up and one foot on the floor. She was way more social than Ellie but always made time for her which made her feel special. Ellie smiled. Keira walked over to where Ellie was sketching and poked her in the forehead. “Helloooo, earth to Ellie! What’s going on?” She asked. Sitting on Ellie’s bed, kicking off her shoes and cuddling with Ruby. She started petting Ruby and tilted her head to the side waiting for Ellie to answer.

“Umm...well I was trying to---”

“Hey Ellie! Keira! You two ready for the meeting? If we don’t go now we are going to be late!” A voice called in passing. Ellie and Keira looked at each other. Keira rolled her eyes. 

“It sounds like a stampede is happening every time we all get ready to leave campus!” Ellie said.

“I know!” Keira exclaimed hitting Ellie in the head with the decorative plushy pillow on the bed. Ellie didn’t want to go. She just wanted to finish her sketch and then curl into bed with Ruby and...Keira and then go to sleep. Keira hit her on the head again this time lightly but with her hand in a karate chop. “Let’s go! You can finish your sketching and sleep later!” Keira urged.

***The Coven Meeting***

“Why do we even need to go to the witch’s meeting? Keira? Can’t we just skip it?” Ellie whispered, pulling Keira’s robe. Her stomach was growling and she could really go for some cupcakes and hot cocoa right about now. Granted she really should have remembered to eat dinner but she forgot and now dessert sounded so good! “Listen if you really want to get your masters here at The Coven, become a Healer and grow into your full potential as a witch, then you and I are going to have to go to all of the witch meetings!” Keira quoted. 

“You ever thought about being a witch counselor, because you are witching good at it!” Ellie said. She was trying to make Keira laugh with her silly puns but Keira just shook her head at Ellie with a smirk on her face and rolled her eyes. That was good enough for her.

 They found seats in the back. They were supposed to be taking notes and listening to their professors but Ellie was having a hard time focusing. Was Keira wearing a new cologne? Keira’s knee casually brushed Ellie’s and it made her almost squeal with excitement! She needed to know how Keira felt about her. Sometimes she thought she might be into her and then sometimes she thought maybe she just treated all her close girlfriends this way and was into her friend Thomas she hung out with after hours. She really wanted to ask her out on a date, but Keira was so focused on her studies, busy and social that Ellie didn’t think she could handle the rejection if Keira said she didn’t want to or couldn’t go out with her. Leaning into her Keira whispered into her ear, “Sweetheart, it’s over. We can leave now.” Ellie smiled and felt the magical warmth emanating off of Keira and was hoping she wasn’t just creating this scenario. 

The next thing she knew she was rubbing her eyes and as she opened them she realized she was back in her room. Keira showing off again with her teleportation skills. She burrowed back under her comforter and felt someone next to her. Ruby was on her window seat. It couldn’t be Keira could it? Did she actually spend the night with her? She thought that had all been a dream! She closed her eyes and fell back asleep. Waking up she saw a note on her nightstand. It said: To My Ellie and when she flipped it over on the back it said: Love Keira. Shaking Ellie opened the note:

Hey Ellie, 

I know you suck at emotions and don’t like talking about your feelings. To be fair I’m not the greatest with that conversation either. Yesterday it seemed like you must have been in a vulnerable state, because your guard seemed to be down and I could read your aura. I have to tell you I feel the same way about you that you do about me. I wish I could express it better in words, but well I want to cuddle with you and I’m afraid you are going to wake up again. So just know we can talk more about this when you are ready, but for now I hope you have a better day today and have an easier time writing!

Love always,

Keira. 

Ellie hugged the note to her chest and started quietly crying and smiling. She didn’t know what the future was going to bring but she felt loved and that meant the world to her.

October 30, 2020 07:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.