11 comments

Black Fiction


Asantewaa washes her face three times after brushing her teeth with charcoal and the petiole of a banana plant. 

She then turns to Ama, who stood there with her hands folded, just watching her mum finish brushing before she can talk. Because she was scared to interrupt her authoritarian mum. 

Asantewaa: Aha? What is it… 

Ama: I got my period today.

Asantewaa: Haaa? Really?.....

Asantewaa triumphed as she took her daughter to the bathroom and washed her, putting on her waist, wrist, and neck new shiny drips. And took her daughter to the Queen of their Village"Asempa (good news) Village"

She danced her way to the Queen and told her the good news.

Queen Esi:

Wow, who would have thought she would ever menstruate? (she chuckled)

Asantewaa:

After twenty years of waiting for my daughter to menstruate.


Asantewaa danced her way to the Queen and told her the good news. 

Queen Esi: 

Wow, who would have thought she would ever menstruate? (she chuckled) 

Asantewaa: 

After twenty years of waiting for my daughter to menstruate. 

Queen Esi: 

So she got her period at thirty-four? I will initiate the (bragoro) puberty rite tomorrow because of her condition, I will do it for her alone. She is old and needs a partner quickly, she can't wait for the next rite. I will talk to the chief priest if it is permissible to do that. 

Asantewaa: 

Thank you " Nana Hemaa”

##

The next day was Ama’s happiest day, she passed the virginity text and swallowed the cooked egg without biting. White cloth wrapped around her waist with her breast exposed to the public. She walked through the village dancing to the beat. Which shows she is ready for marriage. The people watch her in disbelief. 

Kobi eyed her romantically since they had been dating for years, and he can't wait to marry his woman. 

Everything went successfully. 

##

The next sunrise, Ama went to her Mum’s room to greet her. She then picked up her pot to fetch water from the stream. On her way back from the stream, the Queen and her maids came. She stood on the left side of the road and lowered her body and bowed her head as a greeting to the queen. 

The Queen smiled and tapped Ama's back with her peacock fan as an appreciation. She inscribed the maids and they gave Ama and the Queen space to talk. 

Queen:  

I was delighted when I realized you were a virgin. You did well in keeping your virginity, and If you were able to keep your virginity for thirty-four years, then I hope that you will be the right choice of a woman for my son, Prince Kofi. Your father and his father were good friends. Until they both died on the same day through a tiger attack in the forest when they went tiger hunting for our festival. 

(Tears filled her eyes)

After all, they died bravely. And I have changed the law now we hunt for life deer. Maybe this story will let you know how important you are to me and the people. So please think about what I said about my son. 

Ama nodded. And the Queen went away with her maids. 

##

Asantewaa gloried on hearing the news. She danced in front of the house shaking her buttocks and facing Ama. Ama was sitting on a small chair and staring angrily. 

What is the purpose of your face? She asked after her dance. 

Ama:  

 Maame, you know very well that I'm in love with Kobi. And we have been dating for so many years. I can't give up on him. 

Asantewaa: 

Ewuo! What is wrong with you? How many times have you been eating ampesi with pepper? Don't you want to eat it with Kontonmire stew and koobi plus eggs? Do you want to avoid making your mama proud? Get out of here! See the way she is walking as if she is about to lay eggs...

##

Ama went to Kobi’s house, to tell him about the news. Kobi looked extremely disturbed. He looked down with his finger on his lips for a moment and broke the silence. 

Kobi: 

I will never let Prince Kofi take

 you away from me. I will do anything in my power to stop this. How can I let a Coca-Cola-shaped fine girl like you just slip through my fingers?

Ama: 

You can't fight against a Prince, Kobi. No matter how hot your temper is, it cannot cook yams. 

Kobi: 

I don't care!!! I must do something, let me handle it. After all, Rome wasn't built in a day...

Ama: 

Whoever sells eggs do not start a fight in the market, I will find a way to solve it. Please leave it to me… 

They hugged and went their ways.

##

Lazy drone!! Pound the fufu well, you eat the most when it is ready but you feel lazy to pound!!

Asantewaa keeps fighting with Ama whilst pounding the fufu with a mortar and pistol. 

Agoo! Agoo! 

Prince Kofi and his guards knocked their way to the house, Prince Kofi greeted, took the pistol, and started pounding the fufu. 

“Oh, Oh, Nana, let her do it, she can. " Asantewaa chipped in. 

P. Kofi: 

Oh maame, you are my mother-in-law, she is my wife-to-be so if I do, I do it for my family. 

Asantewaa smiled proudly, monitoring her daughter's reactions. After everything, Prince Kofi, Ama, and Asantewaa sat around a table and the guards also sat around a different table, and they enjoyed the fufu. 

Prince Kofi washes his hands whilst Ama was gathering the utensils and Asantewaa was holding a piece of cloth standing beside the Prince waiting to wipe his hands. 

P. Kofi: 

I came here to know Ama’s decision about our proposed marriage. 

Asantewaa: 

She has accepted Nana, she loves you, and she is going to marry you. See how beautiful she has grown and is a virgin. She is ready at any time. 

P. Kofi: 

Great, since she is grown and ready to marry. I would love to marry her next week. 

Asantewaa held his foot, "Bless you, Nana, even if it was tomorrow we would prepare for it. Thank you, Nana, we can't wait for next week". She said.

Prince Kofi grinned, he turned to Ama and he opened his hands wanting a hug, from Ama. Ama stood quietly trying to distract, herself to reject his hug but Asantewaa gave Ama a fierce stare which triggered Ama to hug Prince Kofi, while she was hugging him, she spotted Kobi from far who was gazing angrily holding a sack bag, he threw the sack bag along his shoulder and walked away. 

Ama felt uncomfortable after the hug 

“Ama see Nana off,” Her mum said proudly. 

Ama and Prince Kofi walked silently and no one started a conversation, so Prince Kofi broke the silence in the middle of the road. 

"Thanks for walking me off, and tell your Mum I enjoyed the fufu," he said. Ama turned to go then, Prince Kofi held her hand. 

“ I know it is not easy accepting me in your life, my mother loves you so do I who wouldn't be happy marrying a virgin at thirty-four? And I will always try my best to make you happy and win your heart…I won't stop trying to win your heart, as I always say, Rome wasn't built in a day…” he said. 

Ama didn't reply to him but smiled silently and walked away. 

She went to Yaa’s house. Yaa was grinding leaves for her father because her father is a spiritual herbalist. Ama sat beside Yaa. 

Yaa: 

So what's up with your Prince charming?

Ama: 

Oh come on, I hate what's happening in my life. Do you know how my Mum is happy about it? I think the Prince only wants me because I'm a virgin. 

Yaa: 

Yet still, you can let Kobi break your virginity and the Prince wouldn't get a reason to come after you. 

Ama: 

Eei, God forbid, I am not doing that it will never happen. But find me a way to let this all go away, do you have any concoction to give to my mother so that she loves Kobi instead of Prince Kofi? 

Yaa: 

Haha no, but my father has a small horn, buried under the ground in his bedroom. I heard him discussing with my Mum. He said a dwarf gifted it to him when he went hunting one night, that time he was a young boy. And the dwarf gave it to him to give to a virgin to blow it, that virgin will disappear to the land of virgins, which is like heaven. And he will get plenty of animals to catch. So he gave it to his sister to blow, after blowing she disappeared and didn't return, well, I hope she is enjoying it that's why she never returned. So, if you think u hate your life so much, I can borrow you the horn, so you can visit the land of the virgins, and tell me how it feels. 

Ama: 

Well, why don't you go visit the land if you think it's like heaven? 

Yaa: 

Hmm, I'm sorry to tell you that I'm not a virgin. After my puberty rite, Kojo broke my virginity by saying he would marry me, but he didn't, instead he married Mansa. It makes me sad anytime I remember. 

Ama: 

Oh sorry, well guess I will try your idea and see. 

Yaa went inside and dug the horn out. 

 Ama: wow. 

Ama said with her mouth and eyes wide open, because the horn was made with gold and diamonds, and it was shaped like the shell of a slug. Yaa wrapped it with a black rag and hand it to Ama. 

"Don't let anyone see this," Yaa cautioned. 

Ama took the horn home and hid it under her pillow. 

##

Darkness approached. Ama lay on her mat with her tummy facing the top. Her eyes couldn't hold up so she started dozing. 

Soon Kobi broke the door, entered, and squeeze-raped her. Ama shouted his name many times, but Kobi wouldn't mind her. 

Asantewaa entered and splashed water on Ama’s face. 

“ Stupid girl!! You even mention that good-for-nothing boy’s name in your sleep, stop shouting his name, so I will have peace of mind to rest at this time of the night”. Asantewaa roared. 

"Oh, Maa!! " Ama said as she sat on the bed confused. 

Asantewaa walked out angrily, still murmuring insults. 

Yaa sat thinking about the dream she just had. 

“ What is the meaning of this dream? Or is he planning to? Hmm, then I think I should visit the land of the virgins, so he wouldn't come to meet me if he is planning to. What should I do? My Mum even hates me around, so is better I go, and she is going to miss me and apologize to me”. She thought. 

Ama took the horn, uncovered it, blew, and vanished.

She went to an unknown land, and she found herself amid and in countless busy people in daylight. She walked slowly and was confused about where to go. 

A small girl approached and shouted, "We have a new virgin" 

Everyone turned to her looked at her with mysterious looks and continued their work. 

The girl held her hand and led her way to the palace. She was served all her favourite foods, and she was surprised how they knew what she wanted. Her favourite songs were played, and her favourite dress was gifted to her. She was served like a Queen. And she loved it. 

“Oh Yaa, why didn't you introduce to me your world earlier” she whispered and lay down to rest. 

She woke up again, and the food was ready her favourite songs were playing and a maid was fanning her. She smiled and ate, danced, sing, and took a nap again. 

She did that over and over again, and she realizes it never gets dark. A maid came to serve her bread and corn porridge, then Ama asked, Why doesn't it get dark? And don't you sleep? 

Maid: 

Because here is a…….. 

A very loud drum interrupted, and it was very loud that it drew Ama’s attention. Ten maidens entered and started dressing Ama in traditional clothing. 

What is happening out there… why are you dressing me… where are you taking me… 

She kept asking but no one minds her. 

“You will be sacrificed to feed our God. “ Okukuseku” only loves virgin blood, and there is no virgin here in our land so you are THE VIRGIN!” the leader maid chipped. 

Ama: 

So you mean the girl who brought me to the palace is not a virgin? 

(she said in disbelief)

They all roared with laughter. 

“Not even a newborn” one answered 

Ama: 

What! 

Maid 2:

Every father breaks their newborn to save them from being sacrificed. Ok, it's time. 

Ama tried begging them to help her escape but no one cared. 

Ama couldn't believe her eyes when she saw numerous people gathered waiting to witness the sacrifice, the same busy people who acted like there is no time for anything apart from what they do. They were waiting to witness the sacrifice 

Ama was laid on a tomb-like stone. The King said an incantation and raised his sharp stone carved like a knife. 

Stop!!!!!

Prince Kofi roared. 

My Prince! Ama shouted happily with her eyes wide open. 

Prince Kofi moved and the crowd paved the way for him. He had a shiny necklace which made everyone scared to fight him. 

"Kill her before he gets here!! " the Queen shouted. 

Prince Kofi immediately pointed his magical horsetail at the King and he fainted on the ground. Everyone stepped back. 

The Prince stood beside the stone and said. 

“ Ama, since you have not fully accepted me as your lover, can I have your permission to be your friend and save you?” 

Ama: 

Are you kidding me? Even if you are my enemy, I would've said yes! So stop joking and save me from these witches!!. 

Prince Kofi smiled and held her hand took her from the stone, and blew his horn and they disappeared to Asempa village and into the palace. Ama hugged Prince Kofi in tears. 

“I promise to love you until my last breath” she, said. 

Prince Kofi hugged back. 

Ama: 

But you look older what happened to you? 

Prince Kofi: 

When was the last time you checked in the mirror?  

Ama: what! 

Prince Kofi gave her a mirror, she looked in the mirror and saw that she looked old. 

Prince Kofi: 

You stayed there for ten years. 

Ama: 

Wait… what. How come.? 

Prince Kofi: 

You went to the spiritual world remember, and a day there equals five years here. Yaa didn't know the horn was two, she should've given you the other one to blow back home. 


Shortly, Asantewaa entered the palace with tears and hugged Ama. 


Asantewaa: 

Why did you leave me all alone? I don't know what I would do if I ever lose you. Don't ever play this game with me again.

Ama cried in tears of joy.

##

The next morning. 

Yaa and his father came to apologize and they were forgiven. The high priest chanted and the horn disappeared for good. 

##

Yaa and Kobi were married with four kids. Two girls, two boys. But Kobi was ashamed to look Ama in the eyes. Ama also felt sad for wasting her ten years.

Well, the next week was Prince Kofi and Ama’s marriage ceremony. And it went successful. 

Ama and Kobi held each other when they arrived in their room after the ceremony. 

Ama: 

So you wasted your ten years just to save me? 

Prince Kofi: 

Yeah, I was scared when Yaa’s father told me you would die and the only way to save you is to waste my ten years. But I followed my heart. 

Ama: 

I appreciate how you sacrificed your time for me. You did everything possible to win my heart and well, you did. 

Prince Kofi: 

Yeah, as I always say…. 

Ama: 

Rome wasn't built in a day… 

They both laughed and lived happily. 

The end. 


April 27, 2023 14:30

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

11 comments

Nyameyie Pinkrah
19:51 Sep 29, 2023

Nice Story my screenwriter 🙂

Reply

Show 0 replies
Qúôphî Wîlly
02:00 Aug 26, 2023

Wow....nice story dear 💯💯..keep it up 😉

Reply

Show 0 replies
13:33 Jun 26, 2023

I really luv this story dear I’ll like to read it over and over😍keep it up

Reply

19:06 Jun 26, 2023

Thanks dear

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
22:38 May 03, 2023

I love that you love writing. You educate us on this culture. Very intriguing. (What is squeeze-raped?) (Don't need to answer if too sensitive of a subject.) One time you name 'Yaa' when I think you meant 'Ama'. Sorry, can't find it again. 'Yaa and his father' I think you mean 'her' father not 'his'. Where are you from? I am in USA and don't know much about other cultures. Very chilling they still want to sacrifice virgins. I know it is only fiction but still...chilling. Prince Kofi turned out to be a real prince charming. Please keep ...

Reply

04:27 Jun 20, 2023

Thanks for your encouragement, and thanks for spotting out my mistakes. Am from Ghana

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Iddrisu Rahamatu
19:56 Apr 27, 2023

Such an interesting and loveable story🥰♥️keep it up baeb

Reply

19:58 Apr 27, 2023

Thank you for reading

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Henry Houston
02:36 Jun 18, 2023

Weird Story… really don’t have any other description but weird…

Reply

04:26 Jun 20, 2023

Thanks,at least I have submitted a story

Reply

Show 0 replies
04:26 Jun 20, 2023

And I wrote it myself

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.