0 comments

Drama Fiction


Estelle’s toothless smile was made brighter by the swirling snow. Charles had recommended they leave their dentures behind just in case they flew out and were lost among the snowdrifts. The snow was dry and powdery which made good pack and the snowshoes had made the trek that much easier. Well as easy as a trek in the snow could be for a pair of septuagenarians. The others had guffawed at the idea of a sledding excursion but the recent two day blizzard that blanketed the Sunnybrook Senior Home and surrounding area was the winter event of many decades. 

Charles had mused over supper “That you don't want to miss this or the next Snow day might not come until your 101!” However, only Estelle was delighted by the prospect. Gertrude had frowned and mutter the word “senile”. Edward has gone on at length about his gout. Frida said she was firmly acting her age and warned that Charles and Estelle that they should do the same. But Charles had spent the night hunting through the storage areas finding the snowshoes and the sled. 

At breakfast he proclaimed it was providence that had revealed the very items they needed for a snow adventure. Charles was set that he was going to enjoy the snow and didn't care about his age. This made Frida hiss. Gertrude again muttered “senile “ and Edward made more tales of woe about his gout. An after eating his toast and marmalade, Charles revealed that he would be exiting through the back door leading to the patio and escaping the confines of senior living civilization through a back gate as he intended to make his way up the hillside which under normal weather circumstances was a meadow with a. moderate incline although it looked more like Kilimanjaro in this instance. 


Estelle had met Charles at the aforementioned exit and the two bundled up in weather gear, mittens, hats and winter jackets. They helped each other strap on the snowshoes and Charles gripped the cord on the lightening fast Snow Screamer built for two! Frida tattled to the head nurse whose only response to Charles and Estelle was to be back by lunch or they would call have to call out the National Guard to come get them before all the prune desserts were gone. Charles chuckled. Frida hissed. Gertrude muttered the word “senile”. Edward didn't mention his gout but waved good-bye to Charles and Estelle with a wan smile that seemed to be longing for an earlier time, possibly before his gout. Frida complained to anyone who would listen that no good could come from this and that Charles and Estelle were unlikely to ever return.

The trek took sometime but the sun shone down and the breeze was light. The snow was still dry enough you could brush it off if you needed to.

Charles was happy and passed the time by recounting the folly of his youth. Estelle enjoyed the stories. Charles spoke about his home town of Sioux City, IA. His siblings as he was the youngest of 9. His years in the Navy. He still spoke with tenderness and love about his beloved Ann. His wife of 35 years who passed away from Covid-19. She'd never been sick a day in her life until that unprecedented pandemic. She shined like a gem in his memory. 

When they finally creasted the top of the snow, Charles assured her he was a gentleman and gave her the choice if she wanted to be in the front or the back of the sled. Estelle wanted to see everything and chose the front. At her age what did it matter if Charlee’s hands were on her. That was problems for young girls. They leveled the sled and Estelle got in the front, Charles pushed off from the back and the lightening fast Snow Screamer lived up to it’s name. Cutting a swift path through the snow pack and carrying the two septuagenarians plunging down the incline until they were tossed into a snowbank near the bottom making the idea of leaving their dentures behind an inspired idea. After laughing until they couldn't laugh anymore, they both cried, “Let's do it again.” They trekked back up the snow hill and repeated their adventure. 

After the second trip on the snow screamer they made snow Angels. One at a time so they could help each other get back up. Eventually trudging back into Sunnybrook Senior Home tired and crusted with snow from head to toe. Frida was aghast at the sight of them and proclaimed that Yeti were roaming about Sunnybrook. Gertrude muttered the word “senile” several times in a row while swiveling her head in a disapproving manner. Edward slapped his knee and grinned like an idiot. “By golly, You really did it!” He exclaimed over and over to no one in particular.

The National Guard were saved the disgrace of rescuing anybody just so they could have their prune desserts on time. The head nurse had caretaking staff help both Charles and Estelle to change their clothes and warm up with blankets. Later that night, Charles got a fever and a cough which Frida said served him right. Gertrude again muttered “senile”. Edward lamented that he hadn't been able to go sledding. Charles said it was all worth it and was in the best of spirits despite his infirmity.

Charles improved after about a week and spent two more years torturing the residents of Sunnybrook Senior Home with his escapades. 

The years came and went as did the Sunnybrook patients. Until one day, a very elderly Estelle who was now 101 was the last surviving member of that snow day adventure, her faculties faded and in constant need of care by the nurses aides to eat, bathe and even dress herself. She sat in her wheelchair with an Afghan blanket tucked around her for warmth. To the amazement of the young nurse's aide Estelle smiled toothless but bright watching intensely out the window as the snow began to fall. Unable to speak, she couldn't regale her youthful caretakers about a man named Charles and the sled.


January 23, 2021 02:57

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.