Under His Iron Boot

Submitted into Contest #24 in response to: Write a magical realism story that takes place in the Wild West.... view prompt

0 comments

Fantasy


On a dry and hot day, one where dust clouded the streets and folks remained inside, two men stepped through a rusty gate. Miguel and Paulo, two immigrants seeking prosperity, looked upon the sign that read “The Town of Sand Springs.”

“The name suits it, eh?” said Paulo to his partner.

“Sure does…” he replied with a nod.

They headed through the quiet town, more resembling a ghost town. Crickets chirped, and whinnies sounded from horses in their stables, but otherwise their footsteps were the only sound that could be heard. As the they trod on, they couldn’t help feeling like the eyes of the little village were on them, watching from their dirty windows.

“Where do we start?” asked Miguel.

“I say we start by grabbing a drink to celebrate a safe journey here.” That was something they could both agree to.

When they heard about the isolated town, they both knew the people there must have had needs that could be fulfilled by two promising salesmen such as themselves. They ventured all the way from New York by train, wagon, horseback, and even by foot. They endured scorching heat waves, endless strips of desert land that lacked water, and at night they were terrorized by the screams of unknown animals. After that grueling journey, a glass of whiskey was well deserved.

They pushed through the swinging doors of a tavern and were met with stares of many strangers. Unaccustomed to the inhabitants of this town, the two men feared that these gruff men would brandish their guns on them.

They weren’t met by any pistols, but the stares did not end, nor was the silence broken, until a leather clad figure stood up and sauntered over to them.

“And who might you two be?” he asked, without removing the cigar from his lips.

“Allow me to introduce ourselves! I am Paulo Castelo and this is my brother Miguel. We’ve come a long way to find your humble town, for the purposes of – ”

"Whatever you're selling, we ain't interested."

"Might we be able to speak to whomever is in charge?"

"You're looking at him. I'm the mayor."

"Excellent! Please, hear us out?

“Let me tell you now, if you’re in search of gold, you’ll find none here.” said the Mayor.

“I assure you, we’re looking for nothing of the sort. But we do have an opportunity for you, if you’ll allow us to tell you more.” said Paulo.

“I’ll meet with you tomorrow at town hall. It’s at the far end of the town.” said the mayor.

“Thank you, sir. We won’t let you down.” Paulo said.

“We shall see.” the mayor said sternly. Then he turned to Miguel. “And son, don’t look so frightened. This ain’t Buffalo Bill’s Wild West.”

Travelers don’t frequent the town of Sand Springs, so Paulo and Miguel were the only guests at Miriam’s Inn. Their room looked like it went decades unused. Paulo laid down on the hard bed, but Miguel couldn't relax.

“I have a weird feeling about this place.” he said, pacing across the creaky floor.

“We didn’t come all this way to chicken out. We’ll have counsel with the mayor and make a deal he can’t refuse.”

“I don’t know, he seems pretty stubborn.” said Miguel.

“Just let me do most of the talking, okay?” A soft knock at the door interrupted their conversation.

Before they could answer, Miriam entered with a tray of food. An unnatural smile was spread across her face.

“I’ve brought you some dinner.” she said.

“Lovely! Thank you. You're a wonderful host.” Paulo said.

“Oh, I am just so happy to entertain some guests. It’s always quiet around here.”

“Why’s that?” asked Miguel. Miriam’s grin faded.

“It’s just that not many people know about our town.”

“Interesting.”

There was a brief silence. Paulo ended it with “How much do we owe you for all this?”

“Oh, don’t you worry about money. We have other ways of paying it forward here. You’ll see when you talk to the Mayor.” Miriam responded, leaving both brothers bewildered.

“Well, okay. Good night!” said Paulo.

Once the door was firmly shut and Miriam’s footsteps disappeared, Miguel and Paulo exchanged stares. “See? That was strange, was it not? What did she mean by that?”

“I’m sure it’s fine. You worry too much.” Said Paulo. “Let’s take a load off. How about another drink?”

Walking down Main street the two men passed many curiosities, including a psychic’s shop. This piqued the interest of Paulo, who was fascinated by all things mystical, phony or not. He urged his brother to join him on a detour to visit the mysterious woman behind the counter.

“Why would we see a psychic? We don’t need some quack trying to tell us what our destiny is.” Miguel argued.

“It’ll be fun, perhaps illuminating.” said Paulo. “Open your mind, brother.” It took very little persuasion for Miguel to acquiesce to any idea of his brother’s.

They entered the misty shop, bombarded by the smell of incense burning.

“Good evening.” Paulo said to the woman. “We are interested in some fortunes tonight.”

“Hello, gentlemen." she greeted in a raspy voice. "The spirits brimming with insight for me to bestow on you.” Miguel grimaced at her words. “Come right this way.” she said, leading them through a curtain.

They entered a dark room that contained a small table. “Sit.” she said.

Gingerly they sat. “My name is Madam Estelle. I'll be using tarot cards for your reading.” Before spreading her cards atop the table she laid down some crystals, and lit a purple candle.

She examined the card spread. The illustrations on the cards all included one or several swords. “Hmm.”

“What do they foretell?” asked Paulo, as Miguel shifted in his seat.

“This card came out upside down. This is not so good. The king of swords.” She looked up and her eyes glazed over, as if in a trance. “I’m sensing something. There is a snake in your midst. Someone manipulative. Be weary of who you trust.”

 When leaving the shop Miguel whispered “She must have been talking about the mayor. We shouldn’t trust him.”

“I thought you didn’t believe in all that nonsense.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The tavern was bustling that night. Some men laughed and belched at the bar, and flirted with the female bar tender, while others participated in a competitive card game.

Entering the tavern did not result in glares as it had earlier. The townspeople seemed to have softened after their greeting from the mayor.

They ordered two glasses of whiskey, on the house, and took seats nearby some men playing cards. “Fancy a game?” Paulo asked Miguel.

“I could go for some gambling.” he answered, perking up a bit.

Paulo turned his seat to face the men next to them. “Anyone interested in a little blackjack? I’m feeling lucky tonight.” he said, pulling out some money from his pocket. They looked at him wide-eyed and silent.

“Don’t you know? That ain’t allowed ‘round here.” one of them said.

“Gambling is not allowed?” Miguel asked.

“Hush up. Shouldn’t speak of it. Feel free to join us for a casual game, however.”

“Alright. No harm there.” said Paulo.

“Interesting town, huh?” Miguel whispered.

Before finishing their game, or their whiskeys, a loud bell rang out. “Time to go, everyone!” a maiden announced.

“What? Why do we need to leave?” asked Miguel.

“Curfew.” one of the men grunted.

“Curfew?”

“We must respect the ways of the town.” Paulo said. “Especially if we’re to make a deal.” he muttered. Silently, they made their way back to the inn.

The next day they woke early, well rested and refreshed. Their breakfast was delivered right to their door by Miriam.

Together they marched to town hall, prepared to negotiate with the mayor.  Their meeting began with the shaking of hands.

“Good morning, gentlemen.”

“Good day, Mayor.” said Paulo. They were led to a small room where they could discuss their matters privately.

Paulo began his opening remarks. “This town is isolated, to say the least. I imagine that medicine is not readily available should you run low. Unless you have a lifetime supply, it would take a long journey to get more when needed.”

“So, it’s medicine you wish to sell?” the mayor interjected.

“We have a special tonic. It’s almost miraculous how effective it is, and it only takes a small dose.”

“What is it called?”

“Hydropuntiacaea.” Paulo pronounced flawlessly. “It's made from various flowers and cacti condensed into a potent healing solution. It has no taste, so it can be orally taken, including as an addition to any beverage.”

“Yes, it works wonders, and tastes great in beer.” said Miguel. Paulo shot him a glance to remind him who was to do the talking.

“Interesting.” the mayor mused. “How much do you have of this product?”

“Plenty. Enough to last several years.” said Paulo.

“I’m interested in having a trial of this tonic of yours.” said the mayor.

“Trial?”

“If you wouldn’t mind. I have a few sick patients to test it out on. You could stay a few more days.”

“We can stay a bit longer.” said Paulo.

“Well, you know how medicine is, um, sometimes it takes weeks for healing t-to take place.” Miguel stammered.

“Sometimes, for certain cures. But this will lift spirits, energize, and leave one feeling in tip top shape in no time!”

“Well, I’d love to try it out, and I’ll arrange for a longer stay at Miriam’s. And see what she needs help with.” the Mayor said. Paulo spared him a single bottle for his testing period.

Leaving the office, Miguel noticed a door with a “do not enter” sign. What were they hiding?

As the mayor saw them out, he invited them to the Sunday morning service the next day, and neither felt it appropriate to refuse.

As they searched the town for a good place to eat, Miguel expressed his concerns.

“I don’t want to stay here much longer, I told you I had a weird feeling about this place. He'll find out our tonic doesn't work.”

“Listen, people have a way of feeling better when they believe in the healing properties of something.” Paulo explained.

“I don’t know, it all seems odd. Telling us to help Miriam, not discussing money with him? We haven’t had to pay for anything yet, either. It’s strange.”

“It’s a gracious town! Relax, brother.”

  As they ambled through the little town they noticed that there wasn’t a single pistol holstered to any man. Having traveled through the West, they found it unusual. This place was clearly different. Miguel was certain of that.

The next morning, they kept their word and attended the Sunday service. It took them by surprise to find that the Mayor not only ran the town but was also its spiritual leader. He stood before the congregation in a white robe, matching his white beard, and long white hair. On stage was a mysterious object covered in a cloth.

“Good morning!” he began. “As God has chosen me to lead you, he has chosen you to follow. Have faith, for I speak the promises of the Lord Almighty.”

“Amen!” cheered the audience.

“Today we’ll be doing an exercise in faith.” He lifted the cloth to reveal a wooden structure, with contents that squirmed about. A few gasps slipped from the mouths of the audience members, including Paulo’s and Miguel’s.

“Snakes.” said Miguel.

     “You don’t think…?”

“Today I will show you that the Lord has granted me his divine protection!” the Mayor proclaimed. Murmurs broke out among the crowd.

He pulled a small bottle from a pocket in his robe. “Our guests in town have graced me with this tonic. It is of a healing nature. I'll use it to anoint myself before walking with the snakes.”

Miguel turned to his brother. “Paulo, we should go!”

“We can’t just flee.”

     “Yes, we can.”

      The Mayor began his prayer. “Lord, I pray for your protection, bless this tonic, keep me safe.” He poured it over his feet, then carefully stepped into the snake pit.

Silent prayers were made as the Mayor stood with snakes slithering over his feet. None snapped at him. Paulo and Miguel could hardly believe it, but he stood there safely surrounded by danger. “The Lord is good! He has protected me!”

After the service Paulo and Miguel returned to the inn to help Miriam out. She sent them to the garden with some tools and a basket. As they picked vegetables, Miguel tried, once again, to convince Paulo that something wasn’t right.

“We can’t leave now, he seems like he buys into it. You saw that today! I can’t explain it, but he must think our tonic is beneficial. Maybe it’s a snake repellent.” said Paulo.

Before their conversation could continue any further, the mayor appeared to them. “That was really something today, huh?”

“Sure was.” said Paulo.

“I’m sorry to say I used up all of that hydro – whatever you called it.”

“Oh, well have you decided to buy more?” asked Paulo.

“I’m afraid I haven’t concluded whether it has healing properties or not. I'll need another sample. I believe it prevented those snakes from making a meal of me, but I need to be sure of its efficacy in other areas.”

Paulo contemplated his response. “I suppose we could provide one more, if you’ll use it more sparingly.”

“And I was hoping to make a trade with you both.” said the mayor.

“A trade? We were more so looking for cash.” Paulo said.

“What if I were to give you some cattle, seed, and a hefty stock of liquor. You could go South, start a farm.”

“Those are nice things, but we would need to buy land for a farm, which requires cash.” said Paulo.

“We can discuss this further when I’ve made my decision.” the Mayor concluded, before taking his leave.

“Ridiculous.” said Miguel, once the Mayor was out of earshot. “This is pointless.”

“We’ll see what else he has to offer.”

After completing their tasks they decided to visit the tavern again, since there was little else to do. They were instantly mobbed as they entered. Everyone wanted to know about their “magic” tonic. They did not enjoy the attention, as it impeded their plans for relaxation.

The crowd dwindled throughout the night until one woman named Lydia remained. She conversed with Paulo, as Miguel sat aside them, largely ignored.

Paulo decided to escort Lydia home, leaving Miguel to fend for himself.

She invited him inside and romance ensued. When they were finished with each other, Lydia asked “How will you repay me, tonight?”

“Repay you? Do you mean to tell me you’re a p–”

“Shhh. Don’t say it aloud. Its forbidden.”

“This town sure has a lot of rules…”

“One of the reasons it was formed was because of a lack of rules. The mayor couldn’t stand the debauchery of his original town.”

“What are you talking about?” Paulo said, sitting up, alerted.

“Don’t you know the story of Sand Springs?” she asked.

“I’m not entirely familiar with it.”

“40 years ago the mayor was running in the election of another town. Everyone was so divided. He had such disagreements with the other candidate, and such a loyal and delusional fan base. When he lost, he convinced his followers to leave and start this town. I wouldn't choose Sand Springs, but I was born into it. I don't know what I'd do if I left."

“You could leave with us!”

“You plan to leave?” she asked incredulously.

“Of course we do.”

“That might not be so easy for you.” she said.

There was much to process, so Paulo told Lydia he needed to leave.

“Wait! You can’t leave. It’s past curfew.” Lydia protested.

“Damn! I forgot about that. I could sneak out I’m sure.”

“It’s risky. You’ll get in trouble for being out late, and they’d ask why you were out and if you told them the truth then we’d both be in trouble. If I get found out, he’d exile me!”

“Well if I don’t repay you then we wouldn’t be committing a crime. Besides, you can’t deny you enjoyed my company.” Lydia’s cheeks flushed, either from fury or coyness.

 “There’s always later. Are you a good handyman? I’ve got a couple things you could fix.”

“I’ll return to help out."

He slipped out, and was fortunate enough to make it to the inn without getting caught. With the door locked, Miguel had to sneak downstairs to let him in.

They had much to discuss with both of them having made some discoveries.

“He’s a liar!” Miguel exclaimed. “I did some sleuthing and I discovered a stash of money. He had us believe that they don’t use money around here.”

“Well, that means he can pay us.”

“But will he?”

Paulo thought on this for a moment. “How’d you find this money anyway?”

“In town hall. Remember that room marked ‘do not enter’?”

“Miguel, you could've been caught!”

“Something’s wrong here.”

“I did learn some unsettling things as well.” Paulo confessed.

“Are you admitting that I was right and this place is crazy?”

“No. It seems the mayor cares about morality and safety.”

“Well he cares about safety all right. Safety at any cost, the loss of freedom. I also found a pile of guns. I think he confiscated them from the townspeople. I’ll bet that’s where all the money came from.” said Miguel.

“Why does he need money if no one else does?”

“Maybe he buys from outside the town.”

“Let’s get some rest and talk in the morning.” Paulo suggested.

The following day they found themselves face to face with the mayor in the middle of town. He sat, stoic, upon his mustang. Citizens watched as their leader had a stare-down with the brothers. Paulo remained calm, but Miguel was convinced the Mayor was on to them being privy to his secrets.

“Gentlemen! I’ve got a deal for you.” The mayor called to them. They approached with caution.

“Don’t say anything about what we know.” Paulo whispered.

The mayor guided them to his office, where he said “I’d like you to stay. All will be provided for you, and all you’d need to do is concoct more of your tonic.”

This time Miguel spoke up against the mayor. “We're not interested. The only deal we'll take is one that involves actual money!”

“He’s right. Come find us when you have a better offer!” said Paulo. As they stormed out of his office, the mayor made a remark that stopped them in their tracks.

“Say that again.” said Paulo.

“I know the things you’ve done. Snooping around, breaking rules.” he said. “I could lock you both up.”

“But, we aren’t even citizens, do those rules really apply to us?” Paulo pleaded.

“Breaking and entering is illegal everywhere.” The mayor said, with eyes on Miguel. “As I said, I could lock you up. Unless, you change your mind and decide to stay. I’ll make the necessary accommodations. You’d get to live in our peaceful society. Drink all the whiskey you want with the tavern wenches. You'll be well fed. Sand Springs has the Lord’s Mercy, and I shall give you mercy against your trespasses, should you accept my deal.”

“Seems like we have no choice, really.” Miguel said.

“We always have a choice. We have free will after all. But you have to weigh the consequences of your actions.

“We’ll stay.” Paulo said. Miguel’s head whipped in his direction, bug-eyed and gaping. Paulo gave him a reassuring look.

“Marvelous.” said the mayor.

“Of course, we’ll need to gather more ingredients if we’re to make more of the product.”

“We’ll arrange for that when the time comes.” It would be years until the time came.    



Weeks passed and they remained as residents of Sand Springs. But they didn't lose hope of escaping and had formulated a plan.

“Mayor, we'll need to gather materials for the tonic far in advance of when we’ll run out because the brewing process is lengthy.” said Paulo.

“I’ll send you out with one of my officers. You’ll leave the rest of the stash here, so I know you’ll be returning.”

Officer Fred Jones accompanied them on their journey. They were forced to leave behind most of their belongings, so as not to arouse suspicion. The myriad bottles of tonic they left behind did not concern them, as they knew they were worthless anyway. They fooled the Mayor, and the townspeople. Now they were leaving, no more fortunate than before embarking on their trip, but all the wiser.

They rode for three hours on horseback before requesting a rest as they passed through some rocky terrain.

Many of those rocks weighed easily over a pound, and with enough blunt force they would do wonders in knocking one unconscious. This proved true, and officer Jones lay in the sand, blood spilling from his head. The blow did not kill him. That was how Paulo had wanted it.

“We should be able to get pretty far ahead before he comes to.” said Paulo.

“No, we can’t risk it. He’ll send a search party.”

“What are you suggesting?” Paulo asked, but his question was answered as his brother picked up a rock and finished the job, killing the officer. Paulo stood there in shock.

“Let’s go.” said Miguel.  

“What about the horse?”

“We’ll bring him. Sell him for a pretty penny.”

“You have some good ideas afterall, brother.”

“Thank you.” Miguel said, and they were off. The rode late into the night, adding as much distance between them and the town as possible.

At dawn the next day they saddled back up and trotted away across the desert. A great wind swept through the land. While it hindered their sight with the dust that danced through the air, they thanked it, knowing it would erase any tracks they left.

They did not gain prosperity, but they at least had their freedom.



January 17, 2020 19:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.