Lying Her Way To Death

Submitted into Contest #88 in response to: Write a cautionary fable about someone who always lies.... view prompt

2 comments

Science Fiction

 Once there was a girl, named Cryssandra, whom lived in New York and liked making up stories. She wanted to be a writer, some day, and she would think of the most fantastic tales, ever told, and tell them to everyone she knew.

She told that the stories came to her mind from some other dimension, but no one believed her. When she wasn't telling these tall tales, Cryssandra was trying to compete with her friends about who could tell the best lies. She always won.

She would argue with her brother, Mathias, about what killed the dinosaurs. He said it were a meteorite, but she averred that it was a pack of cavemen that had gone feral. She argued with her mother, Bettelieu, about who made the bread, in the breadbox. Her answer was that the Queen ant was so hungry that she had her worker ants bake it and not her mother's friend, the baker, whom lived down the road.

Cassandra loved arguing about things that she did not know and saying that she did know. Her dad told her that fish breathe oxygen, through their gills, but she said that Neptune created each one a helmet, like a scuba diver wears, so that they can breathe. She argued with all of her family members, when they told her what she was saying was not the truth.

She liked playing pranks on people and then lying about it, saying it were someone else. She got many a friend in trouble by lying on them. Each time she did, that friend said:

“One day, Cryss, I'm not going to be around for you to lie on.”

She scoffed and said, “Yes, you will, because you love me.”

The days wore on, her lying and fantastic stories only became more fantastic, as she aged. She had seen a movie, in a theater, and that's when she started being abducted by aliens. Some friends wondered why, now all of a sudden, that she only told stories about aliens and none of the other things that she had in the past. They asked her.

For once she told the truth, but they didn't believe her. That truth was that there was going to be an invasion and that they had used her to tell the people of Earth. Still they never believed her, when she showed them strange rocks that she had taken from their ship, as proof.

She begged everyone, where she lived to tell the governor, of New York, but they said that they could not bother him with such a fantastic story, as that. She, even, tried to talk to the governor, on the phone, but the alderman said,

“He is much, too, busy, to be bothered, with the overactive imagination, of a child.”

“Why won't anyone believe me,” She asked the sky, as she sat, under her favorite tree, in her favorite park, in New York.

She saw a sparkle, of something, in the sky, as the sun glinted off something. They are coming now, she thought, and she started running home, fast as she could.

“The aliens are almost here,” She yelled, as she ran down street after street, but no one believed her.

“When is Cryssandra going to learn that stories are one thing, but lying is another,” The florist asked the grocer, as she sped by them.

“I have no idea, but I hope it's before it's, too, late,” Replied the grocer. As he turned back to sweeping his tiny piece, of the sidewalk.

Person after person thought the same, as the florist and asked the person standing next to them. The replying consensus was the same. No one believed her and did not, yet, know that she had been telling them the truth, but before long, they would know. However, it would be, too, late, when they realized it.

That night, the stars gleamed ever brighter, than they had ever before, and it seemed that some of them were moving. Someone, with a telescope, saw one of the “stars” approaching fast and he called the governor, telling him:

“Get hold of the FBI, CIA, and anyone that can tell us what is going on. Maybe that Cryssandra was telling the truth.”

The whole country was put on alert, but it was, too, late, because...

The earth beneath the houses, streets, businesses, and everything that sat upon the earth , trembled violently and started coming apart. Steam hissed and rose up from fissures that were created. Lava spilled forth from the fissures and as the fissures widened, even, wider, a hum could be heard emitting from out of those ever widening fissures.

Domes lifted and rose into the air, with lava spilling over the sides, to drip down burning everything that it touched. Then, when, the fissures had widened fully and the humming machines, millions to be exact, soared into the air. It seemed that the aliens had been there all along and their hum grew louder, as they signaled their compatriots that they were waiting to annihilate the human race and terraform the planet, as planned.

The people of New York began screaming, as did the other millions, of people on Earth, started to do the same. The only one that did not scream was Cryssandra, whom had warned them, but she wasn't angry; She didn't scream, because she was turning into something.

The creature had been a symbiot that had taken over Cryssandra's body, after meeting the lying child, and the creature understood that using her to tell everyone about the takeover would make the job a lot easier. It smiled its icky smile and raised its willowy arms, as it welcomed its fellow symbiots.

The human race was doomed, because one child's overactive imagination obscured the truth. Her family and friends would have mourned, if they had known what happened to Cryssandra. However, no one could mourn, because they were all killed, taken as food, or became the host body, of more symbiots.

Cryssandra is not able to learn from this, but maybe you can, before it's, too, late.

Don't ever lie, because they are coming and you need people to believe you when you tell them the truth.

April 08, 2021 03:33

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Eric Hyzer
12:22 Apr 12, 2021

I enjoyed this story very much.

Reply

Maria Moore
10:43 Apr 15, 2021

Thank you very much.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.