0 comments

General


INTRODUCTION

Haniel was born as a talented and courageous man. He confronted any one who messed with his rights. He was serious, smart and intelligent. He was an eloquent speaker as well. This is what helped him to achieve, in his career. He knew there was a place where his rights could never be, misused. He understood the law like a novel. He took the law very seriously. This made him a senior level lawyer.


On the other hand we have Judy who is the main character of the story. She is a hardworking lady whom is faced with a lot of problems in a family, she believes its her own. Her family is based on five people, where by she has two brothers, one sister and her mother and father. She is the elder sibling and the only one having a job among her siblings. The other siblings are still in high school.


Chapter One

Judy had found a job as a carpenter in her neighbourhood. This was something she really valued. This was where she saved money for her personal expenses. She always woke up early in the morning to trim woods and build seats, sofa-sets and besides working as a carpenter she fixed vehicle engines and also tinted vehicles. She liked doing multiple tasks in order to generate more income.


Her parents worked in government offices, in that her father was a network manager at an ICT company and the mother was also a manager at a public hospital owned by the government. The parents were too busy working that Judy had to take care of her siblings when the parents were not able to reach home early. They often arrived home late, at times they would return after a day or so.


The parents loved Judy due to the love she showed her siblings and how much she ensured everything was perfect at home before they arrived from their jobs. The children were disciplined and worked hard to ensure that, they would build their futures from their education.


Chapter Two

The family lived like separate people but everyone loved each other. Everyone worked to ensure their survival. There was a problem with the children where by they felt left out by the parents. They even ended up calling Judy names and also abused her name. They told her to stop acting like their mother when she cannot provide the same bond as the mother could.


Judy was there to help. Even though she was called names she never retaliated from her siblings. She ensured they were fed and provided them with books and all other assets they would lack. Whenever she required more money like school fees the parents paid schools fees to the school banks in time.


One thing about the parents, is that they shared a secret which Judy also never knew about it. Judy only did her part and the parents did their part. She also had to call her mother when she doesn’t arrive home early, in order to check on her status. She was also born and raised missing her parents everyday since they always came home and went to sleep after work. The only thing they shared were greetings and money and assets.


The parents were HIV positive and had managed to keep this secret for years. The good luck is that the children were never affected by the disease. The parents knew they could not spend much time on earth due to their condition, so they tried so hard to hide this from their children. They were also afraid of affecting their children with the disease. This is what distanced them from their loved ones.


Chapter Three

As every day passed the parents continued distancing themselves from their kids until it reached a time when the mother had to be admitted to the hospital. Judy was working in the evening and finishing mending a few tires of a vehicle, she was given by a client. She finished her work and went to her room, took a shower and tidied her room. As usual she prepared food meant for the whole family and took it to the other rooms, where her siblings were playing with the computers.


She served the food in dishes as usual and gave it to them, before she took her first spoon of food to her mouth. She heard a call from her cell phone. She was surprised and dropped the spoon on the dish. She was used to calling her parents but this time it was different. Her father was calling. She received the phone with so much on her mind. She even asked if there was a problem or if may be an accident had occurred. This was when she was told that her mother had been admitted at the hospital. She was to lock all the doors and bring the kids together with her to the hospital.


She was astonished at the sudden change of events. She had to respond very quicky and do as told. She informed her siblings the current situation and they rushed to hospital with one of the family vehicles. They arrived at the hospital searching for room 230B, which was the address of where the mother had been admitted. As soon as they were close to the room the father came in very fast to take them where the mother was. They looked at the mother from the windows.


The children cried since they could not recognize their mother very well due to her pale face. She looked like she was dead already yet she was breathing her last gasps. The mother needed blood donation and this is where Judy came in, she was the right person for the donation since her blood group was fit for her mother. She did as required and donated what she had. The father was there sobbing and also deep in thought. After the operation the mother was still and they all came in to check on her.


“What will I tell my children?,” “Will they understand?,” “Philip you have to tell them!” The mother uttered. Only the father understood what she meant. The rest were confused by the words. She then said that she wants to see Judy privately in order to tell her about the condition she was facing. The father refused and said “It was early for this.” The father had a call from one of his clients and this is where the mother took this as an opportunity to tell her daughter the truth. “Am not what you think I am.” “I have been ill for a long time.” “I have been suffering from…….”. Judy was trying to listen to the last words from her mother, but she could not hear clearly, what she was suffering from before she stopped breathing and died. Judy cried and called in her father shouting that her mother wasn’t breathing.


The father came in very fast looking confused and not knowing what to say. The children could not believe their mother had left them without even saying good bye. They missed her so much and when they got a chance to see her after a long time, she was dying on their hands. Judy cried so much and ended up blaming her father for her mother’s death. She couldn’t take it. They were taken out of the hospital as the body was taken to another facility. They were so sad from what had happened.


Chapter Four.

Later, after a few days the mother was buried and Judy came to learn that her mother was suffering from HIV/AIDS. This was during the burial ceremony, where by her mother’s biography was read. She became more surprised at how such a huge secret could be hidden from her. She even cried more and blamed her father for this. The father tried to console her, but to no avail. The children were there consoling their sister as they watched her, deep in tears. It was so painful for her. She began to ask her father if she was also affected or if the siblings were affected. She felt like she would die too, just like her mother.


This was serious to her that she needed medical assistance. Since she fainted at the ceremony. The Father never answered any of the queries from her daughter. She only watched her in deep sorrow. Judy was admitted to hospital and taken care of till she was well. She had to be medicated from stress. She became still and got out of the hospital after been well. She returned again to the hospital with so much fear over herself. She had questions that needed answers. She couldn’t explain how she would handle herself if she found out she had HIV/AIDS.


She was so much afraid to be verified until she went back home. At home her father was there sitted at the balcony looking at the sky. He looked at the sky as if he was awaiting something to drop from the sky. Judy entered the home quietly and sat next to his father. The children were a sleep after having a long day of mourning for their mother. She asked her father, who else has the disease. The father was quiet for a while until he decided to talk.


He knew it would reach a time, he would answer such a question but he never knew when he would be ready to answer. He decided to tell her that she is safe and she needed not to worry. “You and the children are okay and safe.” he said. Judy was pleased to hear the answer, although she wasn’t satisfied. She later returned to the hospital to confirm her status, until she was now confirmed to be HIV negative.


Chapter five.

After a while the father died from the same disease leaving Judy’s siblings to take care of what was left by the parents. The Father had written a will on how the property will be shared. Only Judy's sibling knew about this. They faked the will to look like Judy was never, a part of the family. The father had left them with information, that Judy had been adopted. But he ensured that he gave Judy 70% of the property due to her generosity and the care she had provided to her siblings since they were young.


The siblings had now grown and were running their own businesses. One of them was at college, but still worked from his computer during the long term break. The other inherited the father's job where by he was a network manager. The two forged the will meant to divide the property and issued the court with the wrong will. This made Judy surprised and worried. She hired a lawyer to check on whether the will was right and just. She was very frustrated with the Judge remarks and how nothing could be done. Even after several days of confrontation. The Judge seemed satisfied with the will before any court proceedings could be done. He had a lot of negligence on the case which made Judy to worry more on why her father could treat her like that.


For once, Judy felt left out. She felt like no one loved her. She continued with her life as usual and went to her job everyday. One thing she knew about the will is that there was something hidden. She wondered how she could only be given 30% of the land and property. The property was worth 6.5 billion in total, together with assets and liabilities and capital.


Judy had hired Haniel as her lawyer and advisor. He ensured he worked out on the case, to ensure that the property would be divided well since Judy deserved a higher percentage of the property, since she was the eldest in the family. There was a problem with the judges in that they were corrupt. They accepted bribes for any case, in order to finish the many pending cases in the court.


Haniel did investigations on how the court handled previous cases and there was a lot of unfair judgment that took place in most of the cases handled there. Haniel had skill and expertise in handling any case but this was one of the cases he felt that he needed to do something. He even thought of bribing the judges but he retaliated. He saw this was not the solution since every one likes a fare and just judgment. He was frustrated by the case since it would be the first case he would have failed. He has always worked to ensure cases are handled well and fare judgment is delivered to his client.


Chapter Six.

At a very tender age, Judy was adopted from a children's home due to her blood group by her parents. She had the perfect blood group that matched that of the parents. The parents knew they would need transfusion at some point due to their ailing condition. At that time they had not bore any children and they were in bad need for children. They thought it would be risky to bore children due to their condition. Little did they know that there were solutions to bearing a child that is safe and hiv negative through medical help.


Judy grew up well until they sorted to bearing children. The two boys, Jordan and Julian were born later under medical care and attention. They were offered milk and never breastfed. They were lovely and Judy treated them as her own siblings. Jordan was the elder brother and Julian followed.


Jordan continued with his previous Father's job and woke up early in the morning to polish his shoes. He had employed a maiden who took care of him and his brother, since Judy left them after the property conflict. The maiden was also a business woman in that she had a boutique. So she sold suits, shoes and all other clothes. The maiden also sold clothes that were no longer in use by Jordan. Jordan liked to order for new pair of clothes every week. He was living a wealthy lifestyle with his brother.


Haniel was a long time customer to Jordan's maiden. He used her as a weapon to collect evidence on the ongoing case. One day the maiden was collecting the excess suits from the cabinets and she took them to the market, as usual. She hanged them at her shop for sale. Haniel came in and took a few of the clothes and went very pleased with what he had bought. He checked at what he had bought and this was when he realized there was something in the pockets.


He found a paper that looked like a certificate. He took it and read to see what it was. He realized it was the original will written by Judy's Father. He was very happy, he had found the solution to his problems after a long time. He broke the news to Judy, whom was busy working and she closed her job and went straight away to Haniel's home. They were so happy from the sadness they had to go through after the long battle. The will also stated that Judy had been adopted and the reason she was adopted.


Haniel presented the will to the court and Judy's siblings were told to pay a huge fine, to avoid been jailed. The property was now fully owned by Judy according to the judges statement. Finally Judy was served her own rights. Her brothers resulted in living in a different country due to the problems they had caused. Judy continued with her life and lived a successful and rich life.





December 06, 2019 14:51

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.