27 comments

General

May 22, 2010


Dear Mother,

I do not believe that we have a good relationship right now. You have been very rude to me lately and you have been making me do even more chores than the normally crazy amount that you give me. I don't understand why, it's not like there's another child you have to take care of. It's just me. I am very upset, and angry, with you. Why can't you just be the old you?

-Hannah


May 22, 2010


Dear Daughter,

I can tell that you are upset and angry with me. And I understand why. I have been giving you even more chores than normal because I want you to be ready when we send you to the orphanage. You obviously don't know about it now, but you will next week. I'm so sorry, but your father and I will be taken away soon. It's either go to the orphanage or get taken away with us. I'm so sorry. I love you, my child. I hope that we can continue these letters, even if we can't actually see each other.

-Sierra


May 22, 2011


Dear Mother,

I'm still in the orphanage. No one has wanted to adopt me. Maybe it's because I'm so moody. But I'm only moody because I'm in this stupid place in the first place! I wish that you and Father could've just been normal and not done all of those things that you did. Then we would all still be together. Maybe we would've solved our issues. But it's too late for that now, huh?

-Hannah


May 22, 2011


Dear Daughter,

I have a sick feeling in my stomach every day from being away from you. Having your father here with me just isn't enough. I know that you didn't like me very much before we sent you off, but we had no choice. I hope that you can understand that. Your father isn't doing very well physically, though. He has cancer. He won't be here for very much longer. I still miss you so much. I love you.

-Sierra


May 22, 2012


Dear Mother,

I finally got adopted. But they're just...too cheerful. They're never relaxing, they're always doing something outside or playing stupid board games inside. I am starting to forgive you, though. I mean, there was nothing you could do. I'm glad that you sent me to the orphanage, because you were right when you said I would rather be there than with you guys. I am starting to miss you again.

-Hannah


May 22, 2012


Dear Daughter,

Your father passed away sixth months ago now. He died while holding my hand. Only five more years and then I'll be out of here. We can be together again. At least, I hope they'll let me have you. I want that so badly. But do you? I hope that you're at least starting to forgive me.

-Sierra


May 22, 2013


Dear Mother,

The family that I was with decided that I wasn't cheerful enough and sent me back to the orphanage. But I'm glad because now I don't have to stay with those cheerful people. I have forgiven you now. I'm pretty sure it's only four more years until you're out. Am I right? I've lost track of time. I miss you.

-Hannah


May 22, 2013


Dear Daughter,

I am not feeling well, but it is just a cold so I sucked it up to write this letter. Four years. That's how much longer it'll be until we can see each other again. Are you still in the orphanage? Has someone adopted you? I miss you, my darling. Sleep my darling safe and sound.

-Sierra


May 22, 2014


Dear Mother,

Three more years until you get out. I have gotten re-adopted, but this time to a family that I really like. I have a sister that's my age, and a younger brother that's actually really fun to hang out with. We play with dinosaurs and pretend we're smashing cities down. My new parents are really nice. I love this family, but I love you. So, if I'm still in this family when you get out, I don't know how I'm going to choose. Maybe we could do half and half custody? I don't know, but I know I miss you. I love you.

-Hannah


May 22, 2014


Dear Daughter,

I hope that you are happy wherever you are. I hope that you are keeping yourself healthy emotionally and physically. I hope that you aren't eating lots of SUGAR! :) Three more years and then we can be together. Just three more years. And then we'll be together, forever this time. I love you soooo much!

-Sierra


May 22, 2015


Dear Mother,

I am still with my adoring family. It's so fun here. I have found a love of books. I have read so many in the past year, too many to count! How are you doing? I miss you, and I hope we can figure something out when you get out in 2 years. I'm a teenager now, you know. 13 years old. Oh, God, how I miss you. I love you.

P.S. How's Father doing?

-Hannah


May 22, 2015


Dear Daughter,

I hope that you have forgiven me by now for all of the things that I have done to you in the past. Two years and we'll be together. I'm counting down the days! I have so many things to say, but so little paper, LOL. That's what kids your age say nowadays, right? LOL? I hope so, I don't want to embarrass myself. Even if it is on paper. I'm so excited to see you again. Only a little while. How are you doing?

-Sierra


May 22, 2016


Dear Mother,

Only one year until you get out. But I still don't know what I'm going to do. I'm still with the family that I love. But you're my mother! I hope that you can help me when the time comes. I hope that you and Father are doing alright. I love you.

-Hannah


May 22, 2016


Dear Daughter,

Oh, how I miss you! But only a little bit over a year and we'll see each other. It'll be like a movie. I have so many things planned for me and you to do when we're together. I'm so EXCITED! Lol. I still hope that's what you and your friends say. (; I hope that you are taking care of yourself, you need to! You are a growing girl. I love you soooooooo much and I miss you sooooooo much!

-Sierra


May 22, 2017


Dear Mother,

I have talked to my family about how you're getting out this year. You're getting out in two weeks. I mean, they said that we could do half and half custody, they would be fine with it. But I'm scared you're not going to. I mean, you were always stubborn, especially when it came to me. I'm afraid of your reaction. I hope you understand my point of view. I still love you.

-Hannah


May 22, 2017


Dear Daughter,

Hallelujah! I'm finally getting out of this place in two weeks. The first thing we can do is go to the movies and watch any movie that you want, eat a whole tub of popcorn, and eat boxes of candy! And I'll even let you have pop. 2 weeks. I'm so excited to see you. I have missed you these past seven years. Ahhhh! I hope you're as excited as I am. Love you!

-Sierra


May 22, 2018


Dear Mother,

You were so stubborn. All I wanted was half and half custody. But you said no, and now you're back in for another two years. Why? Why couldn't you just listen to my point of view? My perspective? Why, why, why? It doesn't matter now. You're back in. But I still get to be with the family I love. And now I'm questioning whether I will want half and half custody when you get out. Again.

-Hannah


May 22, 2018


Dear Daughter,

I am back in. You already know that, of course. You must be very angry with me. But I'm happy. After this, I will finally have you all to myself and we can have the best lives ever! Woohoo! That is what you want. That is what I want. I love you, Hannah.

-Sierra


May 22, 2019


Dear Mother,

One more year until you get out again. And I'm scared. I have decided that I want to live with my adopted family forever, but I'm scared that you'll do something to me or them. They have a lawyer now, though, so we can make sure that you don't. I'm so sorry, but it's what you deserve. I'm sorry, Mother. I'm sorry.

-Hannah


May 22, 2019


Dear Daughter,

One more year! One more year! Ahhh, I'm so glad that this time it wasn't as long as the first time. I've been looking at houses in real estate catalogs, and I know exactly which one I'm going to buy when we reunite. I hope you're as happy about it as I am! Love you!

-Sierra


May 22, 2020


Dear Mother,

We are in the middle of a global pandemic, and you will be staying in. I am guiltily happy, though, because I feel like after everything that you have put me through, you deserve it. I know that I am horrible for thinking that way, but I can't help it. I'm sorry Mother. This is my last letter.

-Hannah


May 22, 2020


Dear Daughter,

NOOOO!! I am staying in just because of a stupid global pandemic. I need you. I need you so badly. I am so angry. Why can't I just leave? Why can't they let me go like some of the other ones? COME ON!!!!! I will find you once this pandemic is over and I am out of here. We'll live a happily ever after. I love you, Hannah.

-Sierra

May 22, 2020 20:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

27 comments

Greg Gillis
23:38 Jun 03, 2020

I like the transition from prison to pandemic isolation. I did notice that you had Hannah asking about her father twice after the mother told her that he passed away.

Reply

00:00 Jun 04, 2020

Since the mother was in prison, and she didn't know where Hannah would be, they weren't able to send letters back and forth. Thank you for the compliment! :) Stay safe out there! -Brooke

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jexica Marcell
19:53 Jun 03, 2020

Wow, this story was so good!!! You are really good at writing Brooke! By the way, sorry if this is to much to ask, but could you review my stories? Thank you and keep up the good work!!! Also, I saw in the letters that they were all on May 22, but different years. (May 22 is my birthday)

Reply

20:14 Jun 03, 2020

Of course! It's never too much to ask, I love giving feedback to those who want it! That's funny! Happy late birthday! Thank you and stay safe! -Brooke

Reply

Jexica Marcell
20:19 Jun 03, 2020

OMG thank you so much! I only wrote 3 stories, but I'm working on one right now! I hope you like all of them. The first one I wrote was When I Come Back so thanks!!! You stay safe too!!!

Reply

21:18 Jun 03, 2020

You're so welcome! I'm sure I'll like them! :D

Reply

Jexica Marcell
21:20 Jun 03, 2020

Just know, I rush my stories a lot :/

Reply

21:27 Jun 03, 2020

I just left a comment on When I Come Back, and I don't think it was rushed too much.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Abigail Mitchell
02:05 Jun 03, 2020

"It's either go to the orphanage or get taken away with us." Wait, get taken where? Oh no! "Your father isn't doing very well physically, though." Oh :( "He has cancer." MAMA OH NO IT KEEPS GETTING WORSE! Oh, so the mother went to jail. Well played. Using letters to tell the story built up a bit of mystery and suspense that I quite liked. Although, I'm still wondering what the mother and father did to end up in jail. I can't imagine being in the daughter's situation--she must have a strong spirit; she handled it with such grace. Great ...

Reply

02:13 Jun 03, 2020

Your second paragraph, last sentence, is making me laugh so hard right now! XD MAMA OH NO IT KEEPS GETTING WORSE! is my favorite quote right now. I don't know why I find it so funny, but I do! Anyways, thank you! The mother and father, um...Did something? It's one of those things that I didn't completely figure out. I was thinking something about the Holocaust, but I also wanted this story to be set in modern day times. So, it's up to your interpretation! Thank you so much again! I appreciate it more than you could imagine! Stay safe! -...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Verda H
03:36 May 31, 2020

Loved the style Brooke!

Reply

19:17 May 31, 2020

Thank you so much, Verda! Stay safe! -Brooke

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kelechi Nwokoma
08:09 May 27, 2020

I really love your story, Brooke. The way you approached the prompt was really unique- great work. If I'm not mistaken, the mother and daughter never got each other's letters, right? That's why the daughter never knew her father died years ago.

Reply

01:44 May 28, 2020

Thank you for the compliment! Yes, you're correct, they never got each other letters. I thought the first two they might have gotten, but then I realized that the daughter got shipped off to the orphanage before they could exchange them. Thank you again and stay safe! -Brooke

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Evelyn ⭐️
16:02 May 23, 2020

Loved this story Brooke! It has a nice ending, and I like how it was written like letters to each other! Stay safe!

Reply

16:18 May 23, 2020

Thank you so much, Evelyn! Stay safe as well! :))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
12:38 May 23, 2020

This story rocks! PS- 6th grade is awesome! They're many opportunities for young writers in middle school. Very fond memories.

Reply

13:27 May 23, 2020

Thank you! And thank you for the heads up! :) Stay safe! -Brooke

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Daryl Gravesande
21:39 May 22, 2020

I absolutely LOVE your story. I love how the perspective keeps changing from Hannah to Sierra. It really feels like 2 people writing each other letters. You are very advanced for your age. Never stop writing! I look forward to reading more of your work.

Reply

00:52 May 23, 2020

Awww, thank you so much, Daryl! That means a lot to me. Trust me, there will definitely be more to come! XD

Reply

Daryl Gravesande
01:22 May 23, 2020

That's great to hear!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Batool Hussain
13:08 Jul 14, 2020

Hello! Since I've got no stories to give feedback on. I'm gonna give some on yours. Anyway. This is a really good story. Made me feel sad about not finding Reedsy earlier.*Sighs* Also, I love the fact that quite some of your stories have been about pandemic: I like you choosing the current circumstances to weave into stories. Clever! Since, some people have been congratulating me on hitting the Leaderboard etc. I thought of thanking you from the bottom of my heart to be one of my very first follower(s)/ supporter(s) Love, love, love,...

Reply

14:02 Jul 14, 2020

You didn't have to do that! :) I wish I found Reedsy earlier than I did as well. Thank you for the compliment! <3 I noticed that; congrats! You're so welcome, you definitely deserve it! Thank you so much again! :)

Reply

Batool Hussain
14:13 Jul 14, 2020

You're welcome! P.s: Still waiting for your feedback on my most recent one:)

Reply

14:15 Jul 14, 2020

XD I was just about to go read it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.