The Fourth Race PT. 3

Submitted into Contest #88 in response to: Write a story about an ordinary person speaking truth to power.... view prompt

3 comments

Adventure Fantasy Friendship

Evangeline and Anwel were now, undoubtedly, allies. For out of spite came alliances, and out of anger came kindness. 

Unconsciously, they had shifted to looking behind their backs, but they both knew they weren’t doing it for themselves. They’d softened into setting up camp without saying a word, them each knowing exactly what the other would do. 

Within a few days, they’d be out of the Turrey Woods and would reach a small Human town called Ghaja. In Ghaja, they hoped to get more supplies, as they were running low. 

The townsfolk of Ghaja were somewhat used to Wood Elves, but they had never seen Moon Elves, Dwarves, or other races. 

On the night before they reached Ghaja, Evangeline couldn’t fall asleep. She had an eerie feeling that someone was watching her. She sat on her tree branch, looking around her. Her dark blue eyes were bright and alive. 

Suddenly Evangeline heard Anwel say “You can’t fall asleep either?” 

Evangeline shook her head. “No. I feel like I’m being watched.” 

“Me as well.” Anwel sighed. 

There was a pause. 

“Evangeline?” 

“Yeah?” 

“Is Evangeline your real name? Because it’s not really an Elven name, is it?” 

Evangeline looked at Anwel. “No. No, it’s not my real name. But Onitor told me to only use my real name in the right places.” 

“What is your real name?” Anwel said, intrigued. 

“Elmyra.” 

Anwel made a strange face and then said “Dawn approaches. Let’s pack up and then we can continue to Ghaja.” 

Evangeline nodded, but as she packed up, she was looking at Anwel. When they walked, Anwel was lost in thought, and Evangeline couldn’t shake the feeling that there was something he wasn’t telling her. 

******

When they arrived in Ghaja, Evangeline got lots of weird looks. One little boy even tripped on a stone in his haste to run away from Evangeline. 

Evangeline scowled. “I didn’t sign up for this, Anwel.” 

“I know. Let’s go to the town square.” 

They arrived, but a young woman was standing on a podium, surrounded by people. 

“Let’s listen to her.” Anwel said. 

Evangeline nodded. 

The young woman started talking. “Welcome, ladies and gentlemen. Thank you very much for joining me today. The mayor gave me permission to give a speech.” 

The crowd cheered. 

The young woman’s voice grew stronger “It has recently come to my attention that the king of the Wood Elves has been cutting off trade for our town. Shipments of food, wood, and oil have been severely decreased due to this action.” 

Several gasps were heard through the townsfolk. 

“King Wyn has long since hated us. Since our ancestors settled on the borders of the Turrey Woods, King Wyn has been prejudiced. We are a good 5 miles from the borders, which I think is fairly stupid. You can only see the Woods from here if you squint.” 

The crowd yelled in agreement. 

“King Wyn will no longer trod his muddy feet on our soil. We fought hard and long for this land. I say we rebel!” 

The crowd cheered. The young woman beamed and the people carried her up high. 

“I had no idea, Anwel. Did you?” Evangeline said. “We can’t take their supplies.” 

Anwel shook his head. “My father, that son of a-” 

Evangeline looked around. “There’s a huge Human city about 50 miles from here. Dragkon. We can get more supplies there. And after we save the Moon Elves, we can help these folk.” 

Anwel nodded. “Let’s get going.” 

Evangeline and Anwel both snuck out of the town, because Anwel knew the villagers, and he knew that they’d be willing to offer help. Prior to their discussion, they didn’t want this. 

As they traveled towards Dragkon, Anwel kept looking at the Turrey Woods and scowling. “My father used to be kinder. He showed me the paperwork for trade routes to Ghaja. Something foul is afoot here.” he said. 

Evangeline nodded and then pointed towards the sliver of sun on the horizon. “We should make camp.” 

Anwel agreed and they shifted into the same cycle they did before, each of them knowing their parts. They were 35 miles away from Dragkon, and when they woke up, Anwel’s face was clouded in mystery. 

“Are you okay?” Evangeline said, concern etched into her floral features. 

“I guess.” Anwel said unconvincily. 

“Cut to the point. There’s something you’re not telling me.” Evangeline said as they walked through the empty plains. It was a sea of greenish brown, with the blades of grass as waves. 

Anwel bit his lip. “I wish I could tell you but…” 

“You can’t.” Evangeline said bitterly. 

He looked guilty. “Well, I want to, but Onitor also visited my father. I eavesdropped and Onitor warned Wyn not to mention it to anyone. This...this secret.” 

“Anwel. I’m already some Elf from a fallen race of Elves, and was bred not because my parents wanted to, but to save them. I’m supposed to be some sort of martyr. A pack animal. What else is there to know?” 

Anwel muttered something that sounded like “A lot, actually,” but he said it too quietly for her to hear properly. 

Evangeline was angry. Angry at her birth parents, angry at the Drow, angry at Anwel, and even angry at herself. She hadn’t slept the night before, so add sleep deprivation to the mix. 

To make matters worse, suddenly a pack of Inugami leapt out of a hole in the ground. Anwel was pinned to the ground, and he cried out. 

“Anwel! Hold on!” Evangeline yelled. She clumsily slashed at the creatures, bringing down a few as she battled towards Anwel. 

“If you don’t mind, hurry up! This thing’s going to slit my throat!” he screamed. 

Sure enough, Anwel was flailing around as the Inugami pulled out a dirty silver dagger. 

Evangeline, in a moment of desperation, pulled out her bow. She’d at least used a sword a few times, but she’d never used a bow before. The wooden weapon felt strange, but welcoming, in her hands. She grabbed an arrow from the quiver that was strapped onto her waist and fitted it in the bowstring. She fumbled with it for a moment until she was able to pull back the string and let the arrow fly. 

The arrow flew through the arrow in slow motion, until finally sinking into the arm of the Inugami. Just in time, as the Inugami had begun applying pressure, and crimson beads of blood had started appearing on Anwel’s pale skin. He was able to kick the Inugami away from him and grab his bow. He shot a few arrows, finishing off the pack of Inugami. 

“Thanks for saving me. The dagger he was using was dirty. I’d get a blood infection for sure. The nerve.” Anwel joked, laughing. 

Evangeline rolled her eyes. “You’re welcome.” 

Anwel grabbed a bag of silver coins from his assailant and pocketed them. “We might need them.” 

Evangeline looked at his neck. “Anwel, is your neck okay?” 

“Yes. I’ll be fine.”

Evangeline nodded. There was a long silence. Finally, Evangeline tapped Anwel’s shoulder. “You’re it.” she said, and ran ahead. 

“Hey!” 

Anwel and Evangeline played tag like children, until finally collapsing in the midday sun. “I feel like a child right now.” Anwel said. 

“As do I.” 

They smiled at each other, their previous arguments forgotten. 

April 04, 2021 20:43

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

21:24 Apr 09, 2021

Hey Pippin, I like the way that you build up the relationship between Evangeline and Anwel slowly and authentically. You really make them feel like genuine friends, and I think that will stand you in good stead later on. I also liked the balance of normal activities (walking, setting up camp, passing through villages etc) with the action of the Inugami attack. I didn't really have a clear picture of who or what the Inugami were though...perhaps they could do with a little more description? Also the phrase “King Wyn will no longer trod hi...

Reply

Pippin Took
21:46 Apr 09, 2021

Thanks!! Yeah I kindof got confused on the "trod". And about the Inugami, you'll find more out.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Pippin Took
13:41 Apr 05, 2021

This is not my best story, but this weekend my creative juices were running dry. Sorry! Hopefully my next stories are better.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.