0 comments

Fiction Science Fiction

 “This just in… Yes, we can now confirm that the US Air Force does not control the unidentified air craft that recently landed on the roof of the Staples Center.”

“Government officials and local law enforcement are scrambling to control the scene outside the Staples Center in downtown Los Angeles as thousands stop to observe a strange metallic flying ship.”

“No one seems to know where this craft came from, how it operates, or why it has landed right on top of a major event center.”

“Yes, that’s correct! Sentient life forms seem to be exiting the Staples Center Craft now. They appear humanoid, but are clearly not human. Is this first contact or an elaborate hoax? Stay tuned for amateur footage from the scene and you decide.”

“We don’t know much at this point, but one this we know for sure is that life as we know it, life in this country, and life on this planet, will never be the same.”

It was like the movies, and at the same time, not. That was probably for the best.

No men in black suits locked down the scene or acted as if nothing out of the ordinary even happened. No death rays or brain-sucking monsters preyed on the curious public. Mainly, a bunch of people flooded the streets surrounding the Staples Center, phones held steady in front of them to capture every moment. Pics or it didn’t happen. And there can be no denying this happened.

It’s probably a good thing nothing was going on at the Staples Center that night. Many more people and a lot more panic would have been involved. Still, the building was lit up like the rest of down town, a perfect place to land, I suppose. As it was, enough people crowded around once word got out what was going on.

Many tried to say it was fake. The ship didn’t look like an alien spacecraft. The things that walked out the door didn’t look like aliens. Then again, what does any human know about real aliens that they didn’t learn from a movie?

The ship looked very similar to human shuttles, but made from different metal, without paint, and with a few alterations in design. But the general function seemed the same, with one notable difference. This ship was capable of vertical take-off and landing, allowing it to safely dock on the Staples Center roof. But other than those few differences, it wasn’t very strange looking.

The beings that exited the ship weren’t as strange as one expected when encountering extra-terrestrials either. They were not tiny and green. They didn’t have four arms or three eyes. They weren’t wrinkled brown raisins or tall and willowy with blue skin. Honestly, they looked almost human. Again, only with slight changes. Where we come in a variety of colors, shapes, and sizes, these were all very uniform. They all possessed darkly tanned skin, pale blonde hair (for those that had hair), and were well-built, not overly muscular, but not scrawny either. Their hair was thick, like the texture of fur, but growing mainly on their heads, similar to humans. There were other less noticeable differences, like their pronounced canine teeth, blue tongue and fingers nails, and blue blood. Their eyes also came in a wider variety of colors than humans, the only feature that was consistently different among the otherwise nearly identical group.

The males and females weren’t as disparate as humans, in appearance, though most deferred to the females as having higher authority and heightened intelligence. So, that’s a significant difference.

But overall, these newcomers were strikingly similar to us. And that made sense. They’d evolved on a planet, though very far away, that closely resembled earth. It is carbon-based, oxygenated, and requires water to sustain life. Their sun is a more powerful star, hence the commonly tan skin, and their chemical compounds are a little different, but not so much that they couldn’t thrive on our planet as well, and us on theirs presumably.

Cops and eventually, the national guard, shut the scene down within a few hours. Disappointingly, when the aliens were ferried away in Humvees, they did not head toward the desert in Nevada. Rather, they were taken to the capital, supposedly. But quickly, the news crews were silenced and the throngs of camera-wielding bystanders left behind.

And that was then end of the Leonidas’ arrival. For a few months, speculation and rumor ran rampant. But as is common with humanity, other stories, other events, began to take precedent in the news and the minds of the people. Of course, no one just forgot about an entirely new race of being coming to Earth. Yet, it wasn’t as hotly debated as in those first weeks. Let the politicians and leaders deal with it. Most trusted their governments to let them know what they needed to know, when they needed to know it. If the Leonidas were a danger or not, and how exactly their presence was going to change the world. Because, regardless of the interest surrounding these people, on one thing everyone one practically world-wide could agree. If this wasn’t a hoax and the Leonidas were truly our first contact with life beyond this planet, then life on this planet would never be quite the same again.

Almost six months after the dramatic landing in LA, word on the aliens finally surfaced once more. It came through a press conference held in Washington DC.

“The alien beings with whom we made first contact in downtown Los Angeles, California earlier this year, inform us that they are called the Leonida people. They come to speak many human languages through careful study of transmissions between our satellites, and through direct instruction of English upon arriving here. Currently, our top linguists and scientists are endeavoring to learn the Leonidian Language as well.” The Vice-President only hesitated slightly, trying to wrap his lips around the unfamiliar name.  

“The leader of the group that landed here, Ms. Alina Keelie, tells us that she and her compatriots are scientists and explorers from their capital city, Nen.” Briefly, he looked back to an advisor, who nodded subtly. Maybe confirming his information was correct or perhaps his pronunciations. Straightening his jacket, he continued.  “Ms. Keelie informed the leaders of the US armed forces and the United Nations that she and her people mean us, that is, the planet Earth and its inhabitants, no harm. She and hers simply wish to learn more about other planets in our neighboring galaxies that are capable of supporting life. Apparently, until recently, much like our own societies, her people believed that they were alone in the universe. But an advent of space exploration and study allowed the scientists of Nen and others from the planet Leonid to discover lifeforms on a distant planet: humanity on Earth.

“I will now turn this presentation over to the United State’s first Leonidian Ambassador, Ms. Alina Keelie.” Gasps and a shuffling forward of reporters met his announcement.

Then, the Vice-President stepped aside to allow a tall, darkly tanned woman forward. Except she wasn’t quite a woman, but rather a female Leonidian. Her light blonde hair was pulled back into an intricately braided bun and she wore the same flight suit that she and her crew first appeared in when exiting their ship months before. It looked like a thin, pale blue and dark silver material, formed into loose pants and a matching cropped jacket.

Alina Keelie nodded. “Thank you, Mr. Vice-President.” Her voice was calm and clear, with a thick but pleasant accent that didn’t sound like any from this planet. Then she faced the assembled crowd and news cameras, blinking striking lime green eyes. “My name is Captain Alina Keelie.” She put only the slightest emphasis in her title. “I am humbled by and immensely grateful of the hospitality show to my crew and myself upon our arrival to your planet.” The unfamiliar speech patterns and mannerism made it slightly more difficult to tell, but her opening lines sounded very rehearsed. Maybe that was simply due to the fact she was new to speaking English.

“Only recently have our technologies allowed us to… pick up the transmissions carried by your satellites,” she continued, “and we were shocked to discover, not only living organisms on a distant planet, but sentient, intelligent life.” Here she smiled at the small representation of said life gathered before her, flashing pointed canine teeth and yet, still managing to look kind and sincere. “I’ve come to realize that humanity’s, um, perception of… beings from other planets… is largely misconceived. I assure you now that we, to use your phrase, come in peace. The people of Leonida are no more advanced than the people of Earth. Where we might make innovations in one area, you have excelled in another. That is why my crew and I were so eager to meet humans, to learn more about your… civilization and planet. We are scholars and allies, not invaders.” She stopped here and looked expectantly at the crowd. They began to cheer as if on instinct.

Having said her piece, Alina bowed deeply and retreated back among the others standing behind the conference podium. As they made space for her, most looked away, their postures stiffening. Only one or two humans (there were no other Leonidas present) stood near her without change in expression.

The Vice-President returned to the microphones. “Thank you… er, Captain Keelie. Now, I have one more announcement before we end for the day. The US Department of Homeland Security, along with NASA, the United Nations, and several other interested organizations, plan to institute the Leonida Integration and Observation Program. This is a first of its kind hosting program where the members of Captain Keelie’s crew will be welcomed into our society, first here, in the capital, before embarking on a world tour. Their travels will include observing and learning about our various cultures and the human way of life. This program is the first step in what we hope will become an on-going partnership between our two peoples.” At his announcement, the crowd’s fervor returned. Reporters shouted their questions from every direction.

“What will this program entail, exactly?”

“Which countries will the aliens visit?

“What can humans expect when hosting the Leonidas?” This was my question. Looking back, I probably could have phrased it is a slightly less fearful, “us versus them” way, but my journalistic drive for information superseded kindness and tact for a moment.

A few questions were each answered in turn. Many more were not.

Finally, the Vice-President nodded to me, or my outstretched recorder rather. “We can expect to welcome our new visitors with respect and hospitality, answer any questions they may have, and show them the best parts about America, and about being human.” A vague enough answer, but it was all I was going to get.

The press conference ended shortly after and Alina was herded away. The Leonidian Integration and Observation Program started about two months later. I was assigned to follow the tour group and interview both the Leonidas and their guides.  

My first interview with Alina Keelie was intimidating, but one of the most fascinating conversations I think I’ve ever had. And not just because I was talking to an actual being from outer space.

“My name is Derrick Carver and I’ll be interviewing you and your crew for the duration of your tour, Captain Keelie.” I held out my hand and she shook it, looking a little bemused as she did so. I wondered if there was a different style of greeting she used on her home planet.

“Please, call me Alina,” she corrected, her command of English just as impressive now as during the press conference.

I smiled and indicated myself. “Derrick, then.” We both sat in a small sitting room attached to her hotel room in DC. Though it was one of the most luxurious hotels in the city, the effect was somewhat dulled by the dozens of soldiers and government agents milling around. “Are the guards for your protection?” I couldn’t help asking. It wasn’t the question I’d planned to ease my way in with, but I genuinely wanted to know.

She looked confused for a moment, but when I nodded to the nearest soldier, a marine by the looks of him, her citrus-colored eyes widened in understanding.

“Ah, in part, I believe. Not everyone has been so welcoming to my people. But, I also suspect that they would defend from us as easily as protect us.” Interesting. Her suspicions were likely true. It wasn’t as though the US government was particularly trusting of outsiders, and it was difficult to imagine someone more of an outsider than a person literally hailing from outside our atmosphere, outside our solar system even.

“I think I understand,” I told her. Then settling in, I began the interview in earnest. “So, how are you finding Washington DC so far?”

Alina looked around her. “It is beautiful. There are so many statues and grand buildings. Where my people have focused largely on technological advancements, we are very lacking in beautiful architecture. Our buildings are functional and… a word meaning all the same, built only to use, not appearance?”

“Utilitarian?” I suggested.

“Yes, exactly. I’ve already seen so many images of structures from around your world, each more intriguing than the last. I am excited to see many in person.”

“Is that your main interest then? Your passion?” I asked. “Architecture?”

She shook her head. “I like architecture fine, especially since it isn’t something we think much about where I am from. But my true love is exploration. I piloted our craft here, did you know? It took many system cycles, many of your Earth months, but not once during our journey did my enthusiasm wane.” I was drawn to the way she spoke, each word leaving me wanting to hear more. It wasn’t only her fascinating accent, but her diction was well. She’d clearly learned to speak English very formally, and yet, each time she searched to fill a gap in her vocabulary was as endearing as her most eloquent words.

“That is why I became a journalist,” I told her, leaning forward. “In this job, I get to travel all over the world and learn new things about each place I visit. I bring back stories, new and old. And pictures of the amazing sights I’ve seen.” At the last, I indicated the camera bag sitting beside my leg. “Actually, do you mind?”

“Do I mind what?” she wondered.

“I’d like to take a photo of you, if that’s alright. To accompany my interview. You see, I can use my camera—“

Her laugh interrupted my, admittedly man-splain-ish, explanation of how a camera functions. “I know how photographs are taken,” she assured me. “We have similar image capturing technology on Leonida as well.”

“Oh, right.” I hid my embarrassment by digging through my bag to retrieve the camera. “Um, smile,” I said, holding it up.

She grinned amusedly, again showing those canines that seemed both predatory and a little alluring. I snapped a few quick pictures.

My interviews with her crew were less personal, more focused on getting their opinions about what they’d seen of Earth, and more specifically the US, so far. Most were not as well-spoken or enthusiastic as Alina, but each scientist, linguist, anthropologist, and engineer was pleasant and thoughtful.

There were three males and seven females total, including their captain. A dumb, juvenile part of me wondered if one of the males, or any of her crew really, was in a relationship with Alina. Which was stupid. I didn’t even know if romantic relationships were the same between Leonidas as with humans. But it was very easy to forget that she, that all of them, weren’t human unless I was paying very close attention. I told myself I’d work up the courage to ask about the more intimate details of their society’s customs in my next course of interviews. I’d ask the anthropologist. I had a feeling Alina would laugh at me again.

After finally finishing the last interview, my mind already spiraled into the future, thinking about where the tour would take us next, and what I’d ask my interviewees about the destination. This assignment was the biggest story I’d ever covered, and probably ever would.  I forced myself to focus on the present for a moment, before the daydreams took hold once more, to start writing my first article.

“Leonidas: The Visitors That Changed Our World Forever”

By Derrick Carver

February 12, 2021 21:07

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.