0 comments

Drama Mystery

Waking up to a thunderous clap surprised even me a deep sleeper and rarely do I get startled by such a noise, but this was one for the books. I was dreaming very intently when all of a sudden I swore I heard a loud boom and I woke up instantly and gazed upon my surrounding and thought a gun had gone off or worse yet a lightening strike very close to home.


I gathered myself and walked carefully out of my bedroom towards the living room to see what had happened and I found that there was no electricity and the room was very still. I heard nothing at all, but the rain pounding on my windows with such gusto, that I sat there mesmerized by it for a long time.


I was not able to make any coffee, so I checked the refrigerator which was not so cold anymore and drank milk with a side of cereal and was fortunate enough to have instant coffee which I used with hot water. Not the best, but it still had the caffeine I craved.


I was trying to gather my thoughts and turned on my portable radio, lit some candles and settled down in my old, comfy chair. I actually loved the quiet and just sat watching the trees sway outside my big picture window in the living room. My cat decided to join me, but she was hungry and I fed her before getting back to relaxing and seeing where this storm would go.


I sat in front of my computer, but the power was still off and just the lights from the candles were glowing, but I thought I saw something move outside and I looked again and there was someone lurking around outside the door of the apartment I had been living in for years. I am very nervous about having people linger around as I don't keep up with all of the comings and goings of everyone that comes through the outside to visit or actually live here.


I am not at all interested in anyone else's lives for that matter, I am only concentrated on my own mere existence. But getting back to the stranger, I noticed that the figure was dark due to the rain and the thunder, and I was starting to get scared because I didn't know if they saw me looking out at them and prayed they wouldn't try to get in somehow. Even though we had a security door, it has been known that residents leave a stick or stone for others to gain entrance without buzzing them in.


I hated that as it is a violation of our rules and regulations, but people just don't care enough to follow them. I was forever watching things outside my window and tried to be vigilant about the mysterious goings on especially right at this very moment.


I tore myself away from the window and ran towards my bedroom where I kept my cell phone which I turned on and thankfully I was smart enough to charge the night before the power went out and was looking for any information on the storm, etc. I noticed that there was an alert from the local police about some break-ins around the city and the area I live in was prime suspect for them.


I knew about this, but had been trying be extra cautious by watching everything around me all the time and trying to keep my guard up all the time, but it would only take one time where I would be lax and something would be waiting for that to happen. I was hoping today was not that day, but I would be wrong.


In the complex I lived, there were two entry ways in and whoever was outside trying to get in must have known about this as I started to hear pounding from the outside desperate to get in and then screaming at the tops of their lungs to get anyone's attention. I was about to call the police for help as this was disturbing as it was still pretty early in the morning. I was just about to make that call, when the screaming stopped and the rain had subsided quite a bit.


I heard footsteps coming towards my unit and I ran towards my door and pressed my eye to the keyhole to see who this was. I saw a flash of black stride past my door and then passed and continued up the flight of stairs towards the third level. I heard the pounding on doors and yelling for help! I didn't want this person here and was terrified that they would come to my door. I started dialing but my hands were shaking so bad, I had trouble dialing 911.


I finally spoke with an operator and mentioned the visitor who had gotten into my building and was screaming and carrying on and no one else seemed to be up at that hour except me and my cat, of course.


The dispatch took my rambling message and said they would get a unit out to check out the disturbance. I was trying my best to remain calm, but still heard the noise from outside my door and this person was still here and wouldn't leave. I fought everything I had to remain silent until the police arrived and sat back down to contemplate the night so far.


Finally after what seemed like an hour or more, I heard the police enter the building and they did a quick sweep and found no one was there and the noise I heard earlier was gone and the police stayed for a few extra minutes and knocked on my door to inquire what else I may have seen or heard. I mentioned all that to the dispatch when I called, but could think of nothing else to add to help them in their search for this mysterious person.


From what I gathered hours later when the electricity came back on and I was able to watch the local news was that there indeed was a rash of break-ins around the local area and mine was mentioned, but that is where the story would seem to end.


Even though this seemed like it was a nightmare to some, I felt this was a wake-up call to get the hell out of here as I have been afraid of living alone for so many years that it was time to move onto a safer and warmer climate. I was not comfortable as I had been and this had been coming on for quite a long time now.


The stranger never bothered our area ever again at least that is what the stories said, but I knew better than that. I knew something had happened with someone living here, but would never find out because right then and there, I prepared to move immediately. I didn't care about a broken lease, I was more concerned with my safety and the welfare of my beloved feline.


I look back now at that time and am no longer worried about strange goings on as I have moved so far south that the only noise I hear would be the ocean and the rain and the thunder and the beautiful sun rises and the moon glistening on the horizon.


I have turned this adventure into a best selling series which I have called, "Tales from a former life". I am now writing everyday like I have tried to in the past, but having so many distractions, could not do so and have been making up for the lost time and enjoying every minute of it. I am in a much better place mentally and physically as I take daily strolls on the beach near where I live and write and read and enjoy the air and the existence I have longed for all of my life with having a few close friends nearby, this is my dream come true.


July 11, 2021 15:32

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.