1 comment

Adventure Creative Nonfiction Drama

The rain was pouring down;walking down a muddy path with a shovel in my hand. The strong wind that kept on blowing away my hat from my head as I chased after it.Sliding into a dirty pool of water; my face all covered up with mud.

My hand could feel something hard beneath the mud;no matter how I tried to reach towards it, the deeper it went.It took me hours, days or even a whole year to dig out that treasure in me.

"How long will you keep on trailing your treasures?"

My mind was switched off from the voices that moved like a redio with no battery. What I saw was laughter from peoples' face;mockery and names thrown onto my face.

The treasures had been swept down into the deepest sea; even though I tried to retrieve it, sweat dripped down my face like showers of rain sliding down the window screen.

Early in the morning I set off in my small boat; sailing through the sea.The weather drastically changed; the strong wave that kept on hitting the side of the boat as it swailed from left to right.

My eyes couldn't see ahead;the fog had covered it.I was determined to get my lost treasure and bring it back to my possession. All I got in my journey of success were words of discouragements; words that nearly brought me down. Putting my fingers into my ears;I didn't want to hear them anymore. My idea was all exported into a dream.

The sun was out very early in the morning; waking up, all my face drawn with happiness.Songs on my lips as I sang and danced around the house-

"Mmmm! I can see today someone is happy,"mother said

"Good morning! Momma, "giving her a long kiss on her beautiful, soft cheeks;pulling her by her hand -

"Momma! Let's dance

"What're all this celebration for?have you won a lottery? "Mum asked.

"This is more than a lottery, momma-

In a moment I knew I will find a treasure that have been searching for a very long time.I opened the door;screaming on top of my voice-

"Yeeeeepi!

My eyes got attracted to something that was shinning right before my eyes.

It was a treasure box

The wave had swept it close to our doorstep; I carried it into the house-

Momma! Momma!

I opened the treasure box; the sparkling coins that reflected onto my face.

Wow- have never seen gold before, my mouth wide open; didn't mind if an helicopter landed on my lips.

"This is pure gold,momma-

My mother couldn't utter a single word;her mouth sealed with hot glue.Tightly embracing herself out of fear.

"Momma,have decided to write a book-

"What?but you have never written one before,"said mother.

"Momma - I had a dream that I was a writer and I intend to achieve it.Don't worry, momma.

The paper and the pen was right on the table as I started my first journey of writing a story.

The words from peoples'mouth were like a storm that kept on hitting me-

"Can she really write a book?"

I held my head up as i walked down the street; walking majestically like a queen -

Really! What do this people think I am

The more words were struck at a close range to my face; the light shinned more brightly as I was determined to accomplish my dream.

By 2020, the book shelf were all filled up with my books. My name all scattered all over the world newspapers.The headline -

"The best author of the year"

There was sparkling of jealousy from each corner; my friends now turned their stones to enemity but all didn't matter to me.

Briiiiiig!

i answered the phone;a private number -

hello!

A lady answered the phone; the call was from BBC as I had been invited for an interview. My name had become famous globally; flash lights from the camera all over my face, coming down from a car.

"Hail! Author Joan -

people stretching their hands towards me;signing signatures as others wanted to have a photo together.

Welcome to BBC -

The warm welcome as I couldn't hide my joy;when they handed me with a beautiful bouquette of flowers. Back at home;people all sat together in the living room watching me live from BBC.

"That's my daughter -

mum was so excited and proud as she smiled all to herself.

My trip back to Africa was all successful; surprises awaited me in Jomo Kenyatta airways in Kenya. Dancers were all there as I walked from the plane.

Mum couldn't wait as she walked towards me;hugging me so tightly. What attracted my eyes were my portrays everywhere; the president was there as he congratulated me welcoming me to the state house.

The convoy all headed towards the state house; my momma held my hand as we walked inside the statehouse -

Wow- the police gave us a salute.

i had never greeted the president; talk of even stepping inside the palace of the president. My dream had come to reality as I smiled.

"Joan -you have made this country proud and we're proud of

you, "said the president.

A man in black entered the room; on his hand was a briefcase as he placed it on top of the table. I didn't know what was inside the briefcase; the shock that came into my life. A lot of money arranged inside the briefcase.

Oh- my God

I thought it was a dream as I closed my eyes so tightly that no space was left out-

"Momma! Tell me it's not a dream

"No my child,it's not a dream,"mother said.

Really! It's not a dream;helding the money in my hands as I continuously shook the presidents' hand thanking him over and over.My longlife dream had come to pass as we went back home to celebrate.

At the streets of Nairobi;my books were been sold as I was the talk of the day.Never give up but push up to succeed in your dreams; it's never late to achieve it.

November 06, 2020 09:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Therese Hudson
09:19 Nov 10, 2020

It's a good story of not giving up.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.