The Letter of Magic

Submitted into Contest #176 in response to: Set your story in a magical bookshop.... view prompt

1 comment

Fantasy Fiction Bedtime

Dear people of the Future,

Before we get started I must let you know that whenever you open the letter and read it, take the crystal and hold it in your hand flat and which ever side of it glows is where the magic power plant is. I was not able to finish the job but maybe you can.

I’m not sure when you will find this letter, but hopefully soon.

You have all heard tales of witches, wizards, warlocks and such. And I’m sure many have wondered or wished about it being real.

You might think, ‘oh how I wish this was true’ or ‘what if its true and we don’t know it?’ And I definitely know some of you who think it’s crazy people could ever believe in such ridiculous stories. And those of you who are relating to this are probably thinking.

Great another ‘magic is real story and are about to go read a different one’, but wait! You have another thing coming!

They are all fake.

Shocking right? (Depends on who you are)

Well get ready to hear this! They tell all the stories wrong, there’s magic, but they TELL IT WRONG!!! They do it to fit what they want to believe! They do it to make it seem as if nothing bad has ever happened and make it seem good! Well guess what!? IT’S ALL A LIE!

First let me tell you what real magic is! It gets powered with emotion. (not surprising) But you can’t just do things like telekinesis, without reason. Like wanting to grab a book because you’re lazy. It won’t work no matter how hard you try.

It’s also not random. It’s only one thing. You can control elements. Fire, water wind and earth and that’s it, but don’t think we do this by ourselves. Let me explain.

Lets take Harry Potter. Great movie. Great book. It’s all good, just completely fake!

Harry Potter was this kid I went to school with! We were in Biology class together and don’t think I am about to tell you, in a school for magic or witchcraft!

It was a regular school. Just like any other.

Now here comes the part everyone is waiting for! Magic. Ya, it’s not what it seems.

There’s no wand.

There’s no potion.

There’s not wings or any of that stuff.

And if your thinking that I just described magic, well you’re wrong. Magic comes from animals for Pete’s sake!

Magic animals are a thing. Now here comes the part that might be familiar.

They are all pretty much evil. Just like humans. So that story of the Whopping Willow, is a dead animal. All animals, when they die, take the place of a plant with some extra thing to it. Also for extra information, the Whopping Willow was a dead evil owl.

Now one last thing about animals. The only good and kind animal is the…

PIG! Ya, not really exiting, but true, so when you see Harry’s pet owl, know it was actually meant to be a pig.

Onto how humans have powers. See, like I said earlier, humans are also greedy.

So with science being really good back then, and only for a little while thanks to SOME PEOPLE (*Cough Cough* Harry Potter), we found a way to steal magic from animals. Of course, I don’t think it was necessarily right, and we would still be doing it, if Harry hadn’t blown up the last of the supplies to get the magic, when he tripped of that wire.

Now the reality of the magic community and my story.

I was born in the 2000 and magic was open, so one could not believe it because it was around them all the time, or at least that’s what I thought.

All the science powered stuff is actually powered by magic. Not with humans magic of course, but with animals! They just use them. They do this at the power plant I mentioned earlier. I’ll explain later why I haven’t stopped them.

People have magic now because it was in our ancestors DNA and it’s gotten passed down like any other trait, sometimes skipping people.

Everyone thinks America is great right! Well that’s because we have more privileges other country’s don’t have, so really it’s just better, not good. (I think it’s totally unfair, but anyway!) People either think we have a bad president or a good one, can’t be in between. People always fighting about things, whether right or wrong is not what I’m getting into.

What I’m getting into is that they start with someone working for the government. They purposely make mistakes! Stupid right?!

The reason they do this is simple. Magic should rule and once it’s time they will. Telling people now will only get out planned wrecked. Also forcing animals to work would get them in trouble too.

So, let’s go back to history when George Washington said not to split the government. Well, now that people have the freedom to press and speech, they have to make bigger problems to cover it up, and if they ever find out they could just say. “Wasn’t important right now.”

Don’t get me wrong, I would love to go and tell everyone this. It would be a lot better, but then the government said he would erase everyone’s memory of it and even threatened random people.

Now you might be thinking, bro just hide it, but that’s not how this works! You think science is good, well imagine it combined wit magic and it’s complete trouble.

When you accidentally get powers, like myself (story for another time), they put a tracker on you and watch you from every device. I tried to tell someone once and I barely got off with a warning.

Hopefully this story will convince you magic is real and not in the way you thought. I need people who will do what right even when it’s hard. I want you to treat the people that are jerks to you as kind as you can. I want you to not get caught up in the bad things because that’s how they use people. Focus on the good things in life because people remember that and it will change bad thoughts to good ones. Even if you never find out how or where or anything about magic, just do what you can to change lives in a good way, and you will end up working together to stop this.

(Also I am writing this in my bookstore. If it’s still here than know that the bottom locked drawer’s key is in the closet in the box labeled junk and when you open the bottom door you’ll find the very last bottle of homemade ice cream.) 

December 15, 2022 20:04

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Kyle Bacalzo
01:18 Dec 22, 2022

Hi Penny! The tone of your letter is great and amusing as he or she explains their history to the reader, however I don't know if it fits the prompt well? I understand the author is writing it in a bookstore, but the bookstore doesn't feel critical to the plot: the author could have easily wrote it in a library, computer lab, or his desk at home and it wouldn't affect the letter at all. It's a great take on "realistic" magic, but maybe if the magic was more embedded within the characteristics of experiencing a bookstore, I think it would fee...

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.