The Child Bearer

Submitted into Contest #60 in response to: Write a post-apocalyptic romance.... view prompt

3 comments

Drama Fantasy Romance

The year was 2101. The earth survived much in the way of disasters. Fires spread over the west coast and scientists finally innoculated not just the Coronavirus but another virus of similar behavior.

On top of disease, riots based on every social distortion came to pass. A caste system The Ruler enacted recruited poor young women like me to be gestational carriers for the rich. We were expendable. I remember my capture well. Kira, my best friend, and I sat in a coffee shop drinking Americanos. Two soldiers entered. One made eye contact with me.

"Her. I want her." He said.

"What about the other?"

The soldier spoke.

"Eliminate her. She's of no use."

Kira looked at me.

"I love you, Mads. Stay safe out there."

"I love you too, Kiki."

The soldiers separated us. One took Kira left and the tall one took me to a black Audi. His dark hair and blue eyes shocked me into consciousness.

"Where are we going? What's your name? Where are they taking Kira?"

"You're going to the palace. My name is unimportant right now and she's not going to be alive much longer."

Tears welled in my eyes. This stranger, though quiet, wasn't unfeeling. He handed me a box of tissues and put his arm around me.

"Madison," He said calmly, "this is a new world you're entering. Not every woman is chosen to be a bearer."

I looked at the stranger.

"What do you mean by 'a bearer'?"

He cleared his throat.

"Since the Ruler declared his daughter was to remain.."

He thought his words through a moment.

"...whole, a bearer was to be brought in to have children in her stead. Considering that the only royal line are now officially brother and sister, it's impure of them to breed. It's now your job to be gestational carrier for the princess."

I looked at the stranger in horror.

"Who's to be the donor?"

He remained calm.

"I am. We're to be civilly united upon arrival."

I couldn't speak. I couldn't move.

"What about my sisters?"

"Emily and Joya will be brought here to my estate after our union. I know they mean everything to you."

"Where are they now?"

The stranger's cobalt eyes looked kindly at me.

"En route to my estate, safe with my staff."

I wanted to cry again. Instead, I looked up at him.

"Tell me your name. I'd like to know the name of the man who saved us."

"Jason. My name is Jason Schreiber. I only know your name and basics from a file. Tell me about you."

I smiled.

"I love lillies and daisies. I've been caring for my sisters since Joya was born. She's seven now."

"Where are your parents?"

"Killed, I think. No one talks about life before the Ruler."

Jason leaned down to my ear.

"Could I be so bold as to kiss my fiancée?"

I couldn't stop him if I tried. His smell intoxicated me and I knew we needed to stop. He sensed that also. Pulling away, he grunted his frustration. I sensed fresh tears. Jason held me close.

"How did you provide for your sisters?" Jason asked.

"I had a job as a nurse. I cared for infants in the free hospital. It didn't pay much but nothing really does."

Jason listened.

"That Kira woman, what was she to you?"

"A friend and co worker. She watched my sisters when I worked."

"How old are your sisters?"

"Joya is seven and Emily is eleven. I'm all they have."

"I promise to keep you safe."

The car approached the gate. The driver punched in the security code and proceeded through the gate. I looked out the tinted window to the compound surrounding us. Jason reached over me.

"Beautiful, isn't it?"

"Our baby will be raised here?"

"Yes."

I looked at Jason.

"Are we expected to give all our children to the Ruler?"

Jason sighed.

"I don't know, Madison. Let's try for one first. If we're successful, who knows?"

"What if I don't?"

Jason sighed.

"They have others besides you. Each of the guards were given a bearer to impregnate. The Royal Family will have many heirs."

"So Kira...?"

Jason smiled briefly.

"She's safe with a guard named Kendrick. He and I were forced to separate for the good of the mission. They're comfortably living on my estate, waiting for your sisters. Now, it's time for you to get ready. Our ceremony starts soon."

"I have one question." I ask.

"What is it, Madison?" Jason replied.

"After the ceremony, will anyone be watching us.. You know."

"No one gets to see us consummate. I won't allow it. I do have to ask. Are you on birth control?"

I blush.

"Jason, I've never been with a..."

The look in his eyes blended between possession and protection.

"I can't promise it won't hurt but I can try to make it as easy as I can for you."

I blushed, standing on the tips of my toes, to kiss his cheek.

"Thank you."

"You're welcome, now hurry. You'll find everything in your chamber."

I rushed to the small room. There I saw a beautiful white gown. A maid named Lucy came to help me.

"Mister Schreiber knew exactly what you wanted, didn't he?"

I stood in amazement as I put on the dress. It fit beautifully. Lucy put my hair in a twist and placed some flowers in before the veil. I took a deep breath before appearing in front of Jason, The Royal Family and a few others. The minister stood poised and ready. I wish I'd been that calm.

"You look beautiful, Madison," Jason said.

His tuxedo and black shirt molded to him. He looked like a god. The ceremony went quickly.

"Do you Madison Wells take Jason Schreiber to be your husband?"

"I do."

The minister reversed the words to Jason.

"I do."

"Then with the power vested in me, you're married. Kiss the bride."

Jason sweetly kissed me in front of everyone and we walked down the aisle. Five more couples were married on this same day. I had no idea what to expect. The Royal Family threw a party for the newlyweds. I decided to let loose and dance with my husband for a while. His scent drove me crazy.

"We don't have to stay, Mads." He said.

"We don't?" I said, looking at him.

"No, as a matter of fact, I think they might want us to get to the business at hand."

I blushed.

"Do they know..?"

"No. Only I know your secret. It's safe. Have you had enough to drink?"

I thought of the two glasses of wine I drank. That was enough to loosen me.

"I'm fine." I said with a tiny hiccup.

"You're cute. Do you need help?"

"I might."

With that, Jason carried me to our room. Thankfully, my dress only had one zipper. As he crossed the threshold, he kicked the door closed.

"Have you done this often?" I ask.

"No. You're the first."

I reached for buttons on his shirt. Fine dark hairs covered his torso. I couldn't breathe. I heard the zipper on the side of my dress slide.

"Do you like what you see, Princess, because I do." Jason said.

I couldn't speak. My hands smoothed the clothing off his body as I ran my hands over his torso. I could hear him grunt.

"You're a tease, Baby girl."

I smiled at him as he pulled tbe fabric away from my body. My curves on display for him to see. He smiled at me.

"Did I ever pick a gorgeous girl?"

He kissed me then. The night continued on slowly and passionately until the point of no return. His body poised on top of mine. I felt the pressure of his entrance into my body. Instead of a scream, he kissed me. I didn't feel pain after that. His rhythm built in a continually fast pace until I held onto his body. My release came hard and fast, with his soon after.

In the afterglow, I wanted nothing more than to lay beside him for a moment. He, after a few moments, took to cleaning himself and me. It was a kind thing. Then he came to lay beside me.

"I don't know what we've done here, but I'll never let you go."

I smiled at him, kissing his lips.

As the months passed, my marriage to Jason was miraculous. My sisters came two weeks after my wedding. It wasn't until two months after my wedding that I felt odd. Things smelled off, I couldn't eat and parts of my body hurt.

I decided to see a doctor at my work.

"Congratulations, Madison, you're pregnant."

Part of me wanted to faint. The other wanted to run. No one except Jason could make me give away this child. The Royal Family had enough. I went home to Jason.

"Hello, Gorgeous." He said.

"Jase, I'm pregnant."

He dropped the glass he held. It shattered.

"We have to contact the Ruler,"

"I guess."

I wasn't fond of this. To be honest, I was scared. Children were rare now.

Jason spoke calmly.

"I understand."

My heart broke.

"What did he say?"

Jason kissed my forehead.

"They have six children there. Ours won't be needed. Our job is to keep our baby safe. In the meantime, you don't work anymore. Go rest."

"Our future children?"

"That's going to be up for debate when the time comes. For now, go rest."

I did exactly what was told of me. The Ruler kept his word. Children were no longer a commodity. Our world might just be alright if our children are safe.

September 20, 2020 05:04

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Zilla Babbitt
22:02 Oct 04, 2020

Compelling story. It's a bit freaky that she literally fell in love with the man who forced her to marry him, but other than that, good job. Keep it up!

Reply

Alisa Burdick
16:50 Oct 09, 2020

I actually looked up "Dystopian plots" for this piece. I felt compelled to write a story about a future where children weren't a priority. An instant love, forced marriage to save the race seemed like an idea people don't get to read. I might expand on this trope idea independently outside of this forum.

Reply

Zilla Babbitt
20:41 Oct 09, 2020

True. If you do go further, I suggest explaining why she fell in love so fast. Is it real love? Is she just brainwashed to do that? Up to you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.