2 comments

Adventure Fantasy Urban Fantasy


The black night sky was devoid of the moon and stars, and the owls seemed to be shouting from afar. Wind rumors compelled the branches and leaves to dance in the darkness of the universe.

Husen drew the blanket higher with his hands on the bolster pillow until he fell asleep and drowned in his dreams. The atmosphere that night was extremely unusual; the moon, which had never been seen before, suddenly appeared with a larger diameter than usual. Husen gazed at the moon from beneath the shady leaves of a banyan tree. He no longer requires a blanket because a burning log has appeared in front of him. He leaned against the trunk of a large tree, his eyes and gaze fixed on the moon, which seemed larger at the time. Suddenly, he noticed someone walking from the moon towards him. He rubbed his eyes, as if he couldn't believe what he was seeing. The longer he waited, the closer the figure got to him. Husen watched intently to see if what he saw was a human like himself or a ghost. He experiences a range of emotions, including fear, worry, anxiety, and curiosity. The figure was now directly in front of him. She turned out to be a very beautiful woman dressed in a white gown similar to the Cinderella character from a fairy tale.

"Hello, my name is Kenari." The woman said as she extended her hand.

"Huhuhusen......" Husen, too, greeted his hand with trepidation and confusion.

"Where are you from?" Husen inquired, perplexed.

Kenari simply smiled and chuckled in response to Husen's question.

"Shh, why are you laughing at all?"

Kenari shifted her gaze, and she now turned his back on Husen.

"I should be asking you that." Kenari said as she began to walk towards the hustle and bustle of the city that had suddenly appeared in front of them. Husen appeared even more perplexed by what he was witnessing.

"Hah! What exactly do you mean?"

Kenari returned her gaze to Husen.

"Ya, where are you from? When I was walking around the river on the outskirts of town, I noticed you coming towards me."

"in the moon?" Husen double checked.

Kenari laughed sweetly at Husen's question.

"You are really strange, right? Right now you are on Earth, not the Moon." Let's see, the Moon isn't here, but it is there." indicating the large circle above.

Some parts of the sky are bright blue, while others are dark black.

Husen turned his gaze to the moon as Kenari said,

"so I'm really on the moon." Husen murmured in his heart.

"Hey, why are you looking at me like that?" Husen jumped to his feet and approached Kenari in a terrified tone.

"Is there a police station here?" He had a terrified expression on his face.

"Police? What exactly is it?" Kenari responded with a question.

"So, where is the police station? Officer of security?" Kenari appeared surprised to hear Husen's question.

"Have you never known what a police officer is?"

Kenari Shaking her head.

"We never know what the police are, if you say the police are security officers, we are all security officers, we all have an obligation to maintain peace." Kenari said.

"Really?" This time, Husen was duped.

"Well, there has never been a crime in our country, and all residents and members of the kingdom keep each other in unity, even though we frequently hear screams and cries that do not come from our country."

My father once said, "The sound came from the Moon."

"From the Moon?" Husen became increasingly enthralled.

"Well, according to reports, there were many wars in that month, between the leader and the people, who did not cooperate in creating prosperity. I've also heard that the moon people are extremely selfish. Self-centered, power-hungry, and attempting to master everything they can control in various ways. So I am sometimes afraid that the Moon people will come to our country and try to seize our prosperous country and destroy the harmonious life that we have built thus far.” Husen appeared to swallow his saliva after hearing Kenari's statement.

"Let me take you to see every corner of this country." Kenari said as she showed Husen around.

Husen was astounded to witness the harmony of the entire country's population, all living peacefully under the auspices of a wise king. Farmers, fishermen, and freelancers fared well as well. Transportation technological advancements are also considered advanced. The highways are not as congested as those in the rest of the world. He also noticed residents with genuine smiles and sincerity. There is no evidence of criminal activity. He saw the flow of the river, with its clear water and bustling fish passing by. In a park, he noticed a group of children playing together with no one carrying a luxury item, despite the fact that his country was advanced in all fields. People queuing at the bus stop or terminal, some of whom were reading books and others who were conversing with one another. Husen fell silent once more, speechless at the sight that had taken his breath away. Kenari, she turned out, had noticed Husen's behavior earlier.

"What's the matter? What's the deal with your surprised expression? Is there a problem with our country?

Husen turned his gaze back to the moon, as Kenari said again.

"If only my country could be like yours."

The sound of chirping chickens and birds.

"Husen, get up early. When do you want to get up? You might get stuck on the road later if you're late.” Husen's mother yelled to wake him up.

Husen awoke from his sleep, as well as a sign that he had awoken from a strange and real dream. Husen dashed to the restroom before making his way to campus. For a brief moment, he turned on the television and watched the morning news. And again, he saw in the news cases of murder, rape, political turmoil, corruption, and other events that occur on a daily basis on Earth.

"Hsshh haaaah, if only my country were like yours, Kenari."

July 18, 2021 07:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Dzu Alif Fadhlan
08:22 Jul 18, 2021

"a great thing only can you get in your dream." thats what my friend said when i told him that i would be the 8th member of BTS someday. but i can't sing tho. hmm, poor me...

Reply

Ilham Pasawa
08:31 Jul 18, 2021

Tnk's for y're appreciation, Joni 😁 Ya, fantasizing about a better life can provide relief from a suffocating one.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.