14 comments

American Fiction High School

It was one hour before her speech. She was nervous and fidgety. She said she was not nervous, but she did not look like it. She was pacing up and down. She always looked like that when it came to events.

Laura is a 17-year-old high school girl. She was born in 2004 December 5. She is a special girl. She was born with a slight brain damage. She is a very creative person. She loved to paint and sketch. She always drew something that nobody would

expect.

One day on a very gloomy Friday, Laura went to school and met her three best friends Lonnie, Clara and Eve. They talked for a while and then went to class. Their first subject was art class that made Laura very happy. Their teacher Ms. Svetlana loved Laura a lot. Today she asked them to abstract art of the sunrise, and as usual Laura finished hers in half and hour which was faster than everybody and she had the best. It was the end of school, which on Fridays finished at 1:30p.m. the girls decided to go to their usual spot to hangout which was at the cafe. It was open 24 hours. And it was the most comfiest and coolest shop in all of Virginia.

They talked and Laura was sketching the customers of the shop. And made a world in her drawing and added all the people she drew as characters. They were there until 4:30p.m. because Laura wanted to go home because she was vey tired. Now, Laura may be a special girl, but she is like every other normal girl: she acts like it

and looks like it. But at times loves to ask random questions that may not be the topic she is talking about to the other person. Laura's ambition was to be a Mayor. And the people she grew up with and spent a long time with like her friends and and family was always shock with the fact that she wanted to be a Mayor.

It was around when she was eight years old and she said, "I want to change the world and get rid of all bad politicians." Those were her words when she was young, and it still had not changed. She also did many things to help the state over the past three years: She launched a complain saying that the city was too dirty, so

at the community gathering this was voiced out so everyday all over Virginia people would help and clean the streets clean. And that one time when she did a fundraiser and got money for helping the hospitals. As a matter of fact that was not

the only fundraiser she did, she did many more. And she also became very famous. She became a young idol for many people. She was also the favorite of the Mayor.

The only times she gets angry is when, someone bullies her friend or bullies her or anyone close to her, she gets really mad. Like really mad that she even could go to a physical fight. Did you know she has a very high grade in kick-boxing. But really, if that side of her comes out, people might think that she was possessed of

some very scary ghost and would completely not know who she was.

Three months ago something very unfortunate happened to Laura, When she walking a flight of stairs in her house, she slipped and fell. She had sprained her leg in a few different parts but could still walk. After a full rest of two weeks she was able to walk, but it was still slightly pain for her. During Laura's summer holidays, Clara, Lonnie and Eve spent most of their time in the Mayor's office. And the Mayor of course welcomed her, and it soon became a habit of going to the Mayors office after school everyday. They loved coming there especially for the tasty Italian food, coffee, and mouthwatering cakes and tarts.

Last month something strange happened in well, Laura's perspective she felt that there was something fishy going on in the Government or board members who are part of the community on Virginia that they were hiding something and that it might be bad. You see, there were rumors spreading around that the Mayors and is officers were doing some illegal bribery and were lying to the citizens of Virginia. Now Laura being the very detective girl she is, decided that she would find out what was going on. And then, that weekend she decided to have a meeting with Mayor.

Then, later that Saturday she had a chat with the Mayor. She asked him what was going on and why were there such rumors about them taking an illegal bribery and lying about all sorts of stuff to the people. But he denied the whole question and did not at all want to answer. He was telling her that there was nothing to worry about. But she knew already, when she asked him the question: he started feeling uneasy and got up from the chair the second time she asked him again and said it was fine. For the final time she asked him if he as alright? And suddenly said, "For goodness sake Laura when will you ever stop?!"

They were silent for 10 minutes. Then finally he said, "Laura...I did not mean to say that to you. I am just very tired and it has been a very long and tiring week." She was angry but did not show it, because she did not get the information she wanted. Then he said, "How about we talk about this tomorrow? And right now we can have a cup of tea and relax, or even perhaps play golf?" She was horror-struct on how good he was about changing the topic. She decided to have tea with him but not play golf with him.

It was Sunday, first thing in the morning she went to the Mayor's office. She knocked on the door and he Mayor said, "Come in." She came in and for some reason the Mayor did not look surprise, because he knew she won't stop looking for answers until she gets them. Then they had tea and she asked the same question again as yesterday. He sighed, and then said, "Whatever you heard is not true, Laura." She did not look up to him and then after what fell like along time of silence she finally said, "How can I trust you? Can you prove it to me?" There was a long silence. Laura was glaring at him. The mayor felt scared, nervous and shocked. He was speechless.

After what felt like forever of glaring, she stopped and said, "I am sorry I don't mean to be rude, it is just I feel you may not be telling the truth. And you never once lied to me. And if you don't want to tell me you can just, say you do not want to." The Mayor did not move, he was shocked and scared. He felt his heart pounding. It was as though the dark side of her had awakened. She said, "Sorry, after yesterday I was not in good mood, because of what happened." He did not say anything. Then she got up and said, "You know what? I think I will go for a walk and I will be back." She left. The Mayor sat back down thinking on what he just witnessed.

The mayor called three of the board members for an emergency meeting. He had no idea she was going to said that just now. After five minutes three of the Board members came rushing in. They were shocked and one of them said, "Mr. Mayor, why did you call us in such notice?" The Mayor said, "She is becoming very restless, she won't stop until she finds out what happened." The three guys stared at the Mayor blankly. Then the Mayor said, "Laura?" Then the three guys said, "Oh yeah right. Now we remember." Then the Mayor said, "She just left five minutes ago. And I am pretty sure she is very angry." The the three guys were staring at him for a while.

After For a while the second Board Member said, "So we have to tell her another lie?" Then the Mayor turned to him and said, "Yes, we definitely have to tell her a lie." The a third guy said, "But are you sure after that she will stop looking for answers?" The Mayor said, "There is no guarantee that she will stop, because she already suspects me." Then finally they all agreed that the Mayor should to tell her a lie. And after 10 minutes before the Board Members left, the Mayor said, "Remember to keep this within us." The three guys nodded and left.

After about three minutes since the three Board Members left, Laura came back. You see, Laura did not exactly go outside of the building to walk, she was just 15 meters away from the Mayor's office. So she obviously saw the three Board Members there. Then she asked, "Why were the three Board members here right after I left?" The Mayor was even more stunned and only said this, "Laura like I said you can trust me nothing is going on, and I am really tired can we not have this conversation again?" She decided to leave him be and left with only a word of bye.

Now, Laura still wanted to know what was going on so she did her own research. She went and asked the people who started saying the Mayor was doing an illegal bribery and lying to the people. They told her everything and she continued with her research for one week than finally Laura came to a conclusion on what happened. Thus her conclusion was: The Mayor was taking and doing a bribery to cover up a murder of an innocent person and for lying to that person's family. She did not tell him anything. And the Mayor thought she was doing nothing about, so he felt happy about it. She decided to address this matter to the President of the United States(U.S.).

After making an appointment with the President. The President sent her an email to meet on Tuesday and have Lunch. The President also recognized her for all the things she did for Virginia, and he was wondering why the matter she wants to talk to him about can't be brought up with the Mayor of Virginia? But then he decided to wait till Tuesday to find out.

Tuesday came in a flash. Laura was on her way to meet the President. When she came to entrance of The White House she was personally very shocked to be here and almost cried out of happiness. It was 12:00 in the afternoon she met with the President and shook hands. They both sat down then she said, "I have come regarding the matter of the Mayor." The president was quite in response for her to continue. Then she said, "The Mayor has been taking and doing an illegal bribery." The President was stunned with news.

Laura continued, "He kept quiet of a murder of an innocent person. And lied to respective person's family." The President asked, "Do you have any valid evidence of this?" She smiled, she knew that the President would ask her that and she gave him the file of all the evidence. The President looked though all the documents and said, "You know Laura you never cease to surprise me? And yes thank you for pointing this out shall speak with him personally." She nodded. The the President said, "Would you also like to be there?" Laura was happy and said, "Yes sir. Thank you." They at lunch and talked. In the evening The President called the Mayor.

The Mayor came at 4:30p.m. and was very shocked to see Laura there. Then the all three of them had a chat and the Mayor was outraged with Laura, but he could not say anything to her because the President was there. Then the President tired with long talk about what the Mayor did and he said, "Mr. Mayor you are under arrest for participating in a bribery." The Mayor was shocked. Then suddenly the door barged open and two police offices came and cuffed him and took him out.

The President was still shock that a 17-year-old girl could do this. And he did something no man had ever did, he asked her, "Laura I have a question. Would you like to be the Mayor of Virginia?" She was shocked and said, " Yes but I have to ask my parents if they would let me." Then he said, "I think you should give your parents a call now and find out if you can be or not." She took her phone and called her parents. It turns out her parents said yes.

After two weeks of preparing for the speech. It was one hour before her speech. She was nervous and fidgety. She said she was not nervous, but she did not look like it. She was pacing up and down. She always looked like that when it came to events where she would have to talk in front of a huge audience. Her best friends: Lonnie, Clara and Eve were there sitting with here and trying to come her from an almost panic-attack. They finally went to the stage and talked for about three minutes.

Her speech was finished and she was congratulated by everybody. She is now famous, she is known as "Laura the 17-year-old girl, and Mayor Of Virginia.

The End

February 12, 2021 10:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

14 comments

05:05 Mar 02, 2021

Noice

Reply

Show 0 replies
Niamh Brown
11:44 Feb 18, 2021

Hi Jhams! I was encouraged to write a critique as part of a Reedsy critique circle. I hope that that's okay, and that there's no misunderstanding (I'm very new to Reedsy!) Your story is very exciting and Laura seems like a very fun character. The two critique points I would give are: 1. You might find it helpful to review how to use tenses. In some places you switched between past, present and future and it was a little confusing. By working on this it will make sure nothing distracts from the exciting plot of your story. 2. Laura is so ...

Reply

Jhamuna K
04:09 Feb 19, 2021

Hi. Thanks so much on commenting and yes I am actually working on correcting some mistakes. I am also very new to Reedsy. Thank you so much for commenting Niamh! I will do better next time :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Niveeidha Palani
00:56 Feb 13, 2021

Hi Jhams, this was such a good attempt for a first story. Loved it. Keep it up, and continue writing. :)

Reply

Jhamuna K
09:50 Feb 13, 2021

Thanks I will do better on my next one

Reply

Niveeidha Palani
00:58 Feb 14, 2021

That's great to hear, we all must strive to improve. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
11:47 Feb 12, 2021

Very good attempt Jhams! Love the details, structure and flow of the story

Reply

Jhamuna K
09:46 Feb 13, 2021

Thank you so much for reading it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nirosha P
03:42 Feb 13, 2021

I love the way you went with the idea of the story! I'm sure everyone who read your story would love Laura ;). I hope to see more stories!

Reply

Jhamuna K
09:45 Feb 13, 2021

Thank you so much for taking the time and reading Nirosha.

Reply

Nirosha P
12:11 Feb 15, 2021

Welcome ;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Nirosha P
12:11 Feb 15, 2021

Welcome ;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Nirosha P
12:11 Feb 15, 2021

Welcome ;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 4 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.