2 comments

Bedtime Happy Holiday

Best Times

Just three days remained until they all gathered around the large oak family table. Christine drove the car along the highway, the kids in the back seat played a game called “eye spy” as the baby slept soundly in its protective seat, and her husband sat at the passenger seat with his face buried in his computer screen.

“You’ll make a hole in the screen if you dig your face any deeper into it, love.”

Harold laughed heartily and leaned back, then closed the screen to his computer.

“Just adding the finishing touches to the workload. I want all the time to focus on the family as soon as we arrive,” he said.

Christine smiled. She pressed on her brakes as the traffic came to a halt.

“Oh no, another delay,” she said.

“I spy with my eye... something green!” Marcus shouted.

“C’mon, there are too many green things around, pick something easier,” Natalie protested.

“You yell any louder, and Jake will wake from his peaceful slumber,” Harold added.

“Dad,” pouted both Natalie and Marcus.

Christine giggled as she began to move again.

“Looks like it was just a minor jam. Seems someone blew a tire and was just pulling their vehicle to safety. I’m glad it wasn’t something big or serious,” Christine said.

Harold nodded in agreement.

Caroline pulled up to the next exit. They were just a few hours away from the house she and her brothers grew up in. Passing by the old shops and neighborhoods brought back many fond memories. Harold grew up in the area as well. He smiled fondly as he gazed about the neighborhood.

Marcus and Natalie looked around at the only slightly familiar surroundings.

“How long until we’re there, mom?” Natalie asked.

“Not too long now, pumpkin,” Christine answered.

The old Buick finally pulled up along the long entryway to an old Victorian-style house that stood tall at the end of the cul-de-sac.

Marjorie was seated in the rocking chair. Her silver strands of hair fluttered with the gentle breeze that blew by. She adjusted her spectacles as she saw Marcus exit from the vehicle.

"Oh, are my old eyes playing any tricks on me?" She asked chipperly.

"Grandma!" Marcus excitedly shouted as he ran towards her with arms wide open.

Natalie followed him close behind, jumping with joy.

"Grandma, grandma, grandma!" she cried out repeatedly.

Marjorie smiled and hugged them both.

Harold exited the vehicle and moved to get little Jake out of the back of the vehicle. Christine, however, had run up the steps and jokingly moved her children aside.

"My turn!" she cried out as she placed her arms around Marjorie.

"Oh my goodness," Marjorie laughed between hugs.

"Mom!" Natalie and Marcus cried out, pushing their mother out of the way.

Harold closed the trunk of the vehicle holding Jake's car seat in one arm. His free arm was pulling on the suitcases.

"When you children are all done playing, maybe you can help me out?" He asked.

Christine gave an impish smile and chuckled. She looked at Marjorie and placed a kiss against her wrinkled cheek. She winked at her playfully and placed her hands in front of her as if she were pleading.

"Sowwy, be right back," she whispered and took off to help Harold.

"Michael and Jenny are already here. They're in their old rooms. I made sure to have your old room ready as well," Marjorie said as she watched Christine head off to help Harold.

"Awwe, Marjorie, you didn't have to go that far for us."

Marjorie blew a raspberry at Harold. "Ha! my baby deserves only the best treatment," she playfully scoffed at Harold.

"Of course, my day couldn't be complete without Marjorie setting me right," Harold laughed.

"Oh, come here, you big oaf," Marjorie wrapped her arms around his neck and gave him a peck on the cheek. "It's so good to see you all again," she said.

They all moved inside the house as the evening grew slightly colder. The fireplace roared to life that night as the whole family gathered in the living space. A glass of wine for the adults and juice boxes for the little ones. A cozy place for little Jake in the corner. Marjorie had been in the kitchen. She came into the living space with a tray full of a variety of cut cheeses and crackers. Glasses of wine clinked.

Michael raised his glass and sipped on his wine. His fingers reached for a toothpick that held a piece of garlic cheese. "Man, I love this time of the year. We prep tonight and then set everything to cook bright and early in the morning, he said."

Jenny bit into a piece of sharp cheddar sandwiched between crackers. "Mhm, it's nice to be able to take that yearly vacation and catch up with family," she said.

"The only thing that would make this reunion better?" asked Harold. "Would be having grandpa around still."

Marjorie let out a soft sigh. "I did love how Earl would always have the wildest stories every year," she said with a knot. Christine nodded.

"Yeah, dad always had the best stories," Christine said, leaning back as she watched Natalie and Marcus run around in circles.

Natalie ran into Jenny, "Aunt Jenny, why aren't Ricky and Silvia here?" she asked, forcing herself into Jenny's lap.

"Awwe, sweetie. Sadly Ricky and Silvia couldn't get time off from work. They started a new job not too long ago."

"Well, that sucks," said Marcus.

"Come here, you!" said Michael as he pulled Marcus.

"Ahh, help. Mom. Save me!" Marcus shouted playfully.

"Oh no," said Christine putting her hand against her forehead and dramatically leaning back. "Seems like uncle Michael got you," she giggled.

"Uh oh, uncle Michael got Marcus, what're we gonna do?" asked Harold

“Help me,” Marcus wildly giggled as Michael tickled him.

Harold stood up and adopted a superhero pose. “Stand back! I will rescue you,” he said.

“Daddy, save me,” giggled Marcus.

Christine sat back with Jenny, Marjorie, and Natalie, all laughing as the boys ran around. To think in only two more days, they would be doing this all over again over a table that would hold a bounty fit for a king, as the room would be filled with laughter and stomping from the playing as adults chased the little ones around. As she gazed around, even though she knew her father was long gone, she could feel as if he were still in the room every year imparting the joy that only he knew how to impart.

November 23, 2020 01:59

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Unknown User
21:26 Dec 02, 2020

<removed by user>

Reply

02:18 Dec 22, 2020

Thank you so much for reading and for your comment. I know I am very late in answering back. I will continue to write and post more.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.