2 comments

Funny Fiction

             PETE’S BIG SPEECH

Pete Dunbar was about to make his first speech on behalf of the Pac-More Luggage Company. He was new at the company and had already made such an impression on the big boss he was chosen to give the annual speech at the Victorian Hotel in downtown Cincinnati.

He and his wife, Debbie, rehearsed the speech over and over every night during the week leading up to the event. They called Irma, Debbie’s mother, to take the kids so Pete would have complete quiet in the house. He couldn’t afford to mess this up. He was expecting the boss to be so impressed with his speech a promotion would be in the offing. 

Yes, this could be his big break, the one he and Debbie had been waiting for, for six years after he graduated from Rumford community college. What a big deal that was! His and Debbie’s parents, his brother Ted and Debbie’s sister Gloria all attended, then went to the Double R Grille after to celebrate. That was before the kids were born, of course.

Since then, Pete moved from one job to another, trying to find his niche in the world. He knew he had potential, he just had to focus and work extra hard, and one day his big break would come.

Debbie helped with his punctuation and grammar, and the speech was coming along nicely. He was happy with the way it sounded, and Debbie said it was wonderful. They moved the chairs around the dining room table and stacked books on top of it to make a pretend podium. The flashlight for the microphone was Debbie’s idea. Debbie sat on the sofa across the room and pretended she was in the audience. When Pete finished the speech, Debbie jumped up and gave him a standing ovation. He bowed and they both laughed. “Let’s do it again, Pete.”

Pete began:

“Good Evening, Ladies and Gentlemen, and welcome to the 4th annual meeting of the Association. It is so kind to see you all this evening.”

“No, Pete, not kind; it is so good, good.”

“Oh, sorry.”

“Good Evening, Ladies and Gentlemen, and welcome to the 4th annual meeting of the Designer’s Association. It is so good to see you all this evening, and I’d like to thank you all for coming.”

“No, Pete, you left out the word Luggage. It’s Luggage Designer’s Association.”

“Oh, okay, well, I’ll remember that; I’m not going to start over; I’ll just continue on.”

“Yes, but if you don’t rehearse and memorize this, you’re going to make a fool of yourself, be embarrassed, and blow the big opportunity.  You don’t want that do you?”

“No, you’re right. I’m probably going to be so nervous I’ll forget half the words anyway.” 

Debbie and Pete continued to rehearse until the big night arrived. Pete took a hot relaxing shower and put on his best suit. He combed his hair, dabbed on some cologne, and wore the lucky cufflinks his grandad gave him.

“Oh, you take my breath away; you look so handsome.”

Pete gave her a big grin and grabbed her by the waist to swing her around, then kissed her on the forehead.

“This could be our big break, Deb.”

“Think positive Pete; you’re going to be great.”

Pete and Debbie arrived at the hotel with not a minute to spare. Deb had to go to the ladies' room because of nerves and told Pete she would meet him inside the hall.

Pete followed the signs and entered the door on the left.

After proper introductory remarks, Pete said,

“I don’t want to keep you any longer with a boring speech, so I will get right to the point.

I know we all have quotas to meet and how difficult those numbers can be. But I feel with this year’s line, we will be ahead of the pack in design and comfort. Your customers will feel confident as they make that trip sporting a top-of-the-line model. They will delight in the luxurious feel of the fabric of our latest model, “Free and Wild,” which offers all those important extras for a truly free and wild experience.

Pete thought he detected a collective murmur from the audience. They are liking this!

Don’t just send someone off without a thought; get the best for their trip, and experience the comfort of the carrier, “A trip to end all trips.” Once you close that lid, you don’t have to worry about them escaping, sorry, the clothes escaping, uh, falling out. New technology has brought us secure locks – almost like gorilla glue – no worries – close and good to go. Even for those who weren’t convinced in the beginning they wanted to leave, the comfort and no worry security of our line will change their minds.”

Now he was sure he heard murmurs. Some of the attendees were so moved they had to leave the room.

“The second model I’d like to direct your attention to is the “Easy Roll”. Just pack that baby up and let er rip. Handle pops up, rollers fall in place. You can’t beat it ladies and gentlemen. This one promises to be a major seller. These babies will fly off the shelves."

By now, people are starting to whisper to each other and look around at their neighbors. Pete’s boss found his way to the room and was standing at the rear of the hall waving his arms, and Pete took that as a sign of encouragement. 

Obviously, he is doing a good job. This will be a speech to be remembered. The other employees will stand around the water cooler and remark, “Did you hear about Pete’s speech?” “That speech is one for the history books!”

Pete continued with renewed energy.

"Yes, Ladies and Gentlemen, this is a time in our industry for rejoicing. These new designs will soon be bringing our loved ones to outer space. Don’t laugh. This is a new age. No longer will we settle for tradition. We are pioneers testing space and beyond the moon!"

Pete’s boss ran down the aisle to Debbie in the front row, who was in tears, just realizing what happened.

I don’t care what you do or how you do it, just get him off that stage now!

Debbie stood, walked to Pete, and whispered in his ear.

“You’re in the wrong room.”

“This is the annual meeting of the Casket Designer’s Association.”           

March 10, 2023 00:37

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

01:25 Mar 12, 2023

Thank you, Valerie - I had a lot of fun writing it. In my case, my two chihuahuas were looking at me like I was crazy! I do hope more people find it, I think it will bring a smile to the reader's face.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Valerie Shand
19:22 Mar 11, 2023

Oh, my goodness! I figured out where he was speaking through the hints in your writing some time before you made it obvious to each reader. This was hysterical. I honestly was laughing out loud, and my cat was staring at me as if I'd lost my mind. Perhaps I had. This was so funny! I loved it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.