0 comments

Crime Urban Fantasy Fiction

The Window

Downtown Cincinnati, 10th Floor

SMASH!

A wailing alarm goes off at the Federal Reserve Center on Main Street Cincinnati OH. A pair of federal police officers charge up the stairs with their weapons drawn at the smashed window in the Federal Reserve Center.

“You there what do you think your doing.”

Screams are echoed throughout the 10th floor offices and halls.

Two hours later a black escapade pulls up to the Federal Reserve Building. Flanked by a pair of Federal police Officers in combat fatigues. The lead SWAT member approaches the passenger side where Agent Robert “Badge” Mitchell dressed in a dark suit with a black plum necktie steps out of the truck with a flak jacket covering him. “Agent Mitchell, right this way we secured the room and were awaiting your team to arrive. If You follow me.” says the older brown man in tactical dress.

“Did the OME, show up yet, sergeant?” comments Mitchell

“Not yet Sir. We were waiting for your team.”

“Reese bring the evidence kit up to the crime scene. Johnny check the CCTV. Alison come with me to the Crime scene and bring your black kit.”

“I did not forget that lover boy I know what you are doing. Since I am your ME.”

“Just testing you Alison.”

Mitchell and his team approach their assigned areas. Mitchell and Dr. Kim follow the black sergeant to the tenth floor. The room has two police officers covered in crime scene blankets. The room appears to be a basic office with a broken computer lying on the floor and several bloody footprints on the floor.

“We preserved as instructed by the academy Agent Mitchell the two VICS were in the second year of police work. We contacted Cincy PD and they got here and told us to hold it for your Feds. Damn good rookies neither thought they would come across this except for an upset employee. ” comments the brown sergeant

“Thank you sergeant we will take it from here send up the lead detectives as soon as they get here we will share with them what we got. Find anything Ali.”

Alison Kim leans over at the bodies and measures the temperature of the two victims. “ Body temperature is as expected no more than two hours. Here comes the lone ranger.”

Reese enters the crime scene carrying two evidence kits. “I'm glad the elevators were working. Damn Badge what do you have in your kit?”

“The usual stuff but I double everything helps me crack the case. Reese can you go over the computer hardware or do we need a tech for it. “

“Cyber-cop Willows; will be here shortly. Rumor has it she was part of one of the elite NSA hackers before she joined the bureau.”

“You watch too many Sci fi pictures and thrillers Reese.”

“Just saying, chief. What do you think Doc?” Reese looks over to the Asian ME working diligently on her crime scene.

“Its between your men and your nickname for ladies we work with. Bob you might want to come over here look what I found on the bodies.” Comments Alison as she hold a piece of fur in her tweezers.

“Smells like Bat guano in here guys.” comments Shaman the shortest of the three males and Chippewa blood in him.

“Only you would spot that Johnny.” comments Reese to his longtime friend.

“It would explain the fur over here. Bob.”

Mitchell pans the area like a sixth sense and visualizes a fight between the cops and a large beast. “Bats are tiny it must have been a big bat with a jack hammer to get through that bulletproof glass. Johnny see anything on the CCTV.”

“This floor was blacked out and I saw not a thing on this floor. Whatever it is Skipper our friends at the Reserve are hiding something.”

“Hiding something and two bodies and a large bat-like creature strong enough to break bank glass.” inquires Mitchell as he thinks back to his sixth sense. “ Johnny, need your Shaman skills see if you can spot something I missed. “

“I need a clear room for it to work.” Shaman says as a young white girl with pick hair joins the agents in the crime scene. She wears a jacket and tee shirt.

“Excuse me I'm looking for Agent Mitchell.”

“That would be me and you are?”

“Svetlana Willow, FBI cyber-crimes unit. How can I help?”

`”Willow we need you to work on that broken computer to see what the Perp stole from it.”

“Piece of cake. If you allow me.” Willow works her way over to the broken hard drive and with gloves takes it out of the room.

“Um Willow, next time let us take a picture of the location of the computer. It effects court cases.”

“Um Sorry, just always wanted to be part of a PERT investigation. I'll put it back,”

“No, Reese mark where it was.“

“Excuse me agent Mitchell would this be important there is blood on this hard drive you guys must have missed it. Because it was lying on the ground“

“Good eye Kid. Ali can you get a blood sample of it.”

“As easy as chocolate chips in a cookie lover boy.”

Forty Five minutes later

Mitchell and his team finished their review of the crime scene as Cincinnati PD arrives with their CSI team. Making their way to their vehicles Willow sits in the back of the second vehicle reviewing the broken hard drive.

“Find anything, Willow?” questions Mitchell

Its going to take a little while but I did manage to find that the thief was searching and found a listing of several shell corporations. I'm not sure what he or she is up to but evidence is clear they wanted something from these corporations.”

“What corporations are we looking at?”

“Mainly corporations with science technology. Not sure why this stuff would be at the Federal Reserve but anything is possible now a days.” Comments Willow as she uses her computer and continues to put the clues together.

“ Keep at it Rookie” Inquires Mitchell as he looks over to Shaman. ”Johnny a moment of your time.”

“What's up Chief?”

“What did your sixth sense MOJO come up with for us?”

“We seem to be dealing with a man-bat but how he got in is still a question but we did find some broken glass from an impact from the outside. Whatever it did it had a pretty heavy duty glass breaker. Maybe a modified crowbar.”

Any clue which direction the PERP went, Johnny?”

“Not right now but I am going back up there to use my tracking skills. Wherever the Guano leads is where we find our PERP.”

“Okay take Reese with you and start hunting for a man-bat. I'll handle Washington and his men about the VICS.”

“I'll make sure we have some Hal-cit and Silver shells with us. “ On those words Shaman snatches Reese and the two go back to the 10th floor. Each carrying a sniper rifle or an AR-15.

10th Floor

Shaman takes point with his sniper rifle followed by Reese and his AR-15. “ So Johnny,

what do you think is going on here?” asks Reese

“Not really sure Kemosabe but from what I heard it has something to do with shady corporations funded by our government.”

“Just shows that crazy in Office as an agenda of his own. Man I can't believe I voted for him in 2016. “

“That's why I only vote when it is needed and on defenders of mother Gaia.,Kemosabe.” Shaman says as he touches some bat guano with his gloves. “Our Perp was here less than an hour ago.”

“So let me get this straight like burglars, our Perp drops Guano on his stuff. That is messed up.”

“Hey a burglar got to do what a burglar has to do even if guano is on the plate. Come on follow me.”

Several minutes later the lawmen come to an open door and see a broken window in the distance. ”Looks like our Perp took flight but why stop here in this office Cubic.”

“Take a look at this Kemosabe. Our man smashed a family portrait before he left.”

“We better wrap that up fo0r badge. Looks like a family might be endanger.”

“Already on it.” Shaman places the broken picture in a plastic evidence bag and signs it for chain of custody. “You want me to sweep for prints?”

“I guess any evidence will help us with our case. Get to work.” Reese answers as shaman pulls out a fingerprint evidence kit.

Two hours later

Both FBI vehicles continue across the bridge and enter Newport KY. Their vehicles passing by unnoticed by the other drivers of the NKY area. Passing a Kroger and Target supermarket the FBI vehicles pull into the residential district of Newport KY. Driving up a hill in Newport KY.

“Our Perp is going after the Yonks family. I talked with Newport PD and they will meet us there.” Comments Mitchell over the radio for his team to communicate between themselves.

Pulling up to the home of Edward and Beatrice Yonks, the Feds are greeted by a Newport Police Officer.

:Agents, Mrs, Yonks has not seen her husband because of a separation so she has no idea what this is about?”

“It concerns a break-in at the Federal Reserve we are just following up on some info Officer.”

“She is a little shook up but she is drinking some coffee while her kids are asleep.”

“We won't be long. Alison its your lead since women working better with other women.”

“I understand, since the OME office did not need me anymore. I'll take point.” Mitchell and the others follow Alison Kim into the home of Mrs. Yonks.

The Interview

Stepping inside the small cape Cod townhouse. Elisabeth Yonks sits nervously drinking coffee

at this late hour. Flanked by a brown female police officer, Alison Kim takes a seat across from the confused white woman. “I have no idea what this is about Agent. I pay my taxes help with community outreach projects. I have no idea why my office was ransacked earlier tonight.”

“Mrs. Yonks, I'm Dr. Alison Kim a FBI Pro-filer and ME, you have a nice home. We only have a concern for your safety. Whoever ripped apart your office damaged a picture of you and your children. You said you have not seen your husband in a little while after filing a separation decree.

“Yes that's correct. You don't think my husband was involved. I know we have had a rough

couple of years but my husband is harmless. He lost his truck driving job at the Dairy up the street from here and was working on reopening the Newport theater. Since he worked there for several years before being a truck driver.”

“He couldn't be the one who broke into the reserve.”

“Right now, Mrs. Yonks do you have any idea where your husband could be. We just need to ask him a few questions?”

Epilogue

As Mrs. Yonks continue to answer the questions, A window is knocked outside the young girl's window,

Knock Knock

A small auburn haired girl in pajamas walks to her window and sees a smiling face of her father who is climbing on the outer porch roof.

“Daddy!.”   

June 08, 2021 00:12

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.