Mum Left us a Pie and Other Things

Submitted into Contest #34 in response to: Write a story about someone who finds a secret passageway in their house.... view prompt

0 comments

General

Lewis and his little friend were sitting on the carpet, watching the television while lightning struck somewhere far away. 

The roll of the thunder was so loud that a sudden, involuntary shriek escaped Thomas' mouth. He looked at his friend with wide eyes, but Lewis only increased the volume of the cartoon and ignored his frightened friend.

Thomas was disappointed in his friend's lack of concern, but afraid that he would be teased for pointing his fears out, he turned his attention the television. Still, he couldn't help but succumb to his curiosity and ended up letting his gaze loose. Outside, from the window, the dark sky was illuminated by a flash of lightning every now and then.

Forcing himself to look away, he let his eyes wander around the living room. Clothes, dirty and clean, lay everywhere, covering every inch of the room from the floor to the sofas. This was the reason why Lewis and Thomas were sitting on the ground- because they couldn't sit anywhere else. Thomas wondered if it was possible for a woman to own so many clothes. Some of these clothes didn't even belong to Lewis' mother. Thomas had never seen Ms Anabel wear a suit or even a tie.

While Thomas was still busy looking at the colourful blouses and the drab pants, Lewis grabbed his arm. ''We should go to the kitchen to eat. Mum left us a pie.''

Thomas wondered what Ms Anabel could possibly be doing right now in this weather. When Thomas' parents had left him at Lewis' house with the intention of having a peaceful time at his grandma's funeral, Ms Anabel had taken him in gladly.

But exactly five minutes after Thomas' parents' car sputtered away, leaving the smoke to disappear into the wind, Ms Anabel grabbed her purse, kissed the boys, and left.

Lewis' eyeballs stared at Thomas until he nodded and accompanied him to the kitchen.

At the kitchen door, Thomas stood glue to his spot and waited for his friend to get the pie. While Thomas stood there, small and frail against the tall kitchen door, he looked at the wall opposite him. There was a faint rectangular outline, light brown gainst the mahogany wall. His eyes narrowed immediately. All three years that he had known his friend or had come over to his friend's house, he had never noticed it before.

Lewis came to stand next to Thomas, the pie in his hand with a slice missing. Thomas took one before pointing to his newly found source of fascination. ''Is that a door?''

It could have easily been the marks from a cupboard that had been left against the wall for a long time. But Thomas had never seen a cupboard here. And, he was eight, too young to consider the primitive reason for such a thing.

Lewis swallowed his food before shrugging nonchalantly. His eyes were at the wall too, but they didn't have a hint of marvel in them. 

''Let's check it out, then.'' He placed the pie on the floor and briskly walked to pushed the assumed door.

Thomas closed his eyes shut and prayed that there'd be no movement. They could go back to watching the television until his parents picked him up. Then, he would change into his comfortable pyjamas and go to sleep after his mom would kiss him goodnight.

The raindrops would try to pierce through his window, but he wouldn't care. He would be at home, safe and sound.

As Lewis's palm pressed against the wall, it easily gave way. The door opened and Thomas peered into the dark.

Lewis grinned for the first time that evening. ''I'll get the flashlight.''

Thomas gulped, rummaging through his mind to find an excuse to not go in. But by the time Lewis was back, it was too late to go back. So Thomas found himself following Lewis through the passageway, past the hall and into the room.

His throat caught his breath as Lewis turned the knob and they entered it, their eyes undressing the room with horror and revulsion. Or at least, just Thomas's.

Bodies, stark naked, laid everywhere. Of adults, teenagers and children younger than them. They were blanketed in blood, some with arms amputated and some with knives still stuck to their chests. A horrible stench prevailed in the atmosphere, choking even the little ants in the room. Locks of hair of black, blond and red were splattered on the floor as if delicately placed there by someone.

Thomas screamed as loud as he could and for as long as he could. It was a high-pitched scream, the kind Thomas would be embarrassed by because he sounded like a girl. And it didn't seem to stop.

Lewis didn't say anything, though. He only stared.

Thomas screamed and screamed.

Lewis didn't comfort his friend. With a blank expression and a subtle look in his eyes, he moved to the nearest body. His footsteps were quick and unbothered; his mind thinking things it shouldn't.

There, he bent down to inspect the little boy on the ground. His skull was shattered and the blood still flowed. Lewis tried to recall if he had seen his mother bring him into the house. He didn't and immediately declared that his mother was a surreptitious woman.

Thomas paused his screaming for a bit but continued it again when he saw his friend's index finger extend. Lewis dipped it into the scarlet liquid and brought it closer to his face, considering for only a second before licking it.

Either it was to hide from Lewis or vice versa, Thomas covered his eyes with his frigid, pale hands. The screaming ensued. Lewis turned around; an undecipherable expression. It was somewhere between pleased himself and upset at the disturbance.

He didn't voice his thoughts, though. All he did was grab Thomas by the elbow and lead him out. 

Out of the room, past the hall and through the passageway.

Thomas's breath was ragged and uneven when they reached the kitchen. His mind was going through a thousand thoughts at once, but they all came to a halt when Lewis shook him by the shoulders, asking him to swear that he wouldn't tell a soul.


March 23, 2020 09:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.