199 comments

Mystery Crime Drama

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

    It’s possible to loathe someone you’ve never met. It’s possible to loathe them with a passion even though you have never seen their face. 

    My name is Otis Barnes. If you asked me my story you’d have to sit there for a few hours. I’ve been almost everywhere and I’ve done almost everything. I’ll admit, I’ve lived a pretty good life and I’m only thirty three. 

    My current occupation right now is as a private eye. However, my current client is also me. 

    A few months ago, a guy the papers are calling the Piano Man, to Billy Joel’s frustration, committed the steal of the century. The greatness behind this job was not the worth of what he stole but the size and quantity of it that made this crime so miraculous. 

    He stole eighty eight self playing pianos from a warehouse in Kansas. No one knows how he did it, but he did it. And they weren’t those light little keyboards, they were large full scale pianos. 

    Now, why is this any of my business? Because two days later, my mother was found dead underneath one of those pianos. That piano was missing one key. High C. Which led me to his next victim. But I was too late. By the time I had arrived, my brother Archer was already murdered on the very boat he lived on. We found his remains twisted and wrapped around the insides of the piano. And when we opened the lid to further examine the body, the piano began to play. I immediately recognized the song. It was, “Welcome To The Black Parade” by My Chemical Romance. Archer’s favorite. My heart broke with each god forsaken note that played.

    This man, this thing, was hunting those I cared for and waving it in front of my face as if this was some kind of game. I required justice.

    I have spent the last four months following these murders across the globe. One of the best parts of having been everywhere and done everything, is you meet a lot of people and end up caring for many of them. Although that also means that there’s that much more people that can be taken from you. Whenever one of the victims hasn’t been someone I’ve known, it’s always been a clue or a hint. This has only grown my hatred for this child of hell. It proves that he does not care about the lives of others. He has killed one hundred and sixty five people and has used eighty seven of the eighty eight pianos he stole. He has become the most wanted man in the entire world. 

    And he has come to the last piano.

    The eighty seventh piano was found in the cell of a Parisian prison. And nailed to the walls as if they were Christ, was every criminal I had brought to justice. Somehow, this man had found every low life I had locked away and brought them to Paris. 

I will never understand how he did this, but when I entered the cell, the piano began to play. With that first step I took, a powerful minor chord shot from the instrument as if it were possessed. 

The piano kept playing an eerie song that seemed familiar but I couldn’t quite place it. Then, after about twenty eight measures in four-four time, the whole mood of the song changed. Then the song changed again, and again, and again. I realized it was a medley, but of what I didn’t know. 

When the song ended, a small piece of paper popped out of the lid of the piano. The words, “Do you like it? I arranged it myself.”, were typed on the note. The song started again and I looked inside the piano to find a timer. The medley would loop for forty eight hours. It was obvious what this meant. He gave me a time table. Forty eight hours to piece together the identity of his next victim. Forty eight hours to stop one of the greatest criminal minds the world has ever known.

First, I examined the bodies of the dead criminals. It appeared they all died the same way. A bullet to the heart. And almost every other criminal on the wall was missing his or her left shoe. Now, one would look at this and see simply a pattern for decoration, but I knew these men and women as well as I know myself. Each person with the missing shoe was born in the part of the United States that would be considered the northern states which narrowed down the location of the victim down to about twenty six or twenty seven states depending on what he defines as “north and south”. Then there were the shoes. If they were missing a shoe it was the left shoe. Meaning the victim is in one of the north eastern states of the USA. Then there was the one thing each body had in common, other than their shared love of illegal activities. They all died from being shot in the heart. Immediately when this thought popped into my head, so did a song. 

“Right to the very heart of it.”

Genius really. That’s what I was up against. A genius with a very good choice in jazz music. When I came to the conclusion that the victim was in New York, all that remained was narrowing down their identity. The population of the state of New York is around eight point four hundred and nineteen million and I had to narrow it down to one. Luckily, there’s only one genre of music associated solely with New York. Some think it’s Jazz or blues but those reside in New Orleans. However, the modern show tune was born out of Broadway.

Ugh, I hate Broadway. The only reason I knew anything about it was because I loved it as a kid, but then grew out of it with age. In fact, once realizing it was Broadway and hearing the medley a couple more times, I could identify each part of the song. The opening was iconically from the title song of “Phantom Of The Opera”. When Christine finished the first line, the iconic bum bum bum bum bum sounded and then it shifted to Elphaba and Glinda singing “What Is This Feeling” from “Wicked”. After they belted the word Life, it then immediately went into “Little Shop of Horrors” which wasn’t as long as any of the others and went into “My Shot” from “Hamilton” which is very overrated in my opinion. Then the final part was “Stronger” from “Finding Neverland” and the song ended in a layered mashup of all five songs. 

Weirdos who actually enjoy that show tune crap might have appreciated the medley, some might have even liked it, but I only heard the creation of a psychopathic mad man. 

I immediately bought a ticket to Laguardia airport. Once I had realized that the target had something to do with Broadway, I knew who the target was. When I landed in New York I went to a Hilton on eighth avenue in between fifty first and fifty second street, booked a room, and dropped off my stuff. This was the first time I ever had the chance to get to the victim before whoever it is who was killing them. I had thirty seven hours left so I ran over to time square with no time to waste. 

I took out my phone and made a few calls while a guy in an Elmo costume watched and waved at me the whole time from a street corner. After I made the calls, I met an old friend who owed me a few favors backstage at Wicked. I know that only one song in the medley was from Wicked so how was I to know for sure, but the person I cared about the most on Broadway was in that show. Believe it or not, I have a good number of friends and family in that business which is funny cause I dislike it very much. I’m actually surprised that none of them had been murdered up to this point. 

My buddy Andre helped me get backstage and into her dressing room for when she finished the matiné. When she walked through the door with a bouquet of flowers it reminded me of the day we met. It was in high school and we were both in the chorus of our school’s production of Phantom of The Opera. Milly was also the understudy for Christine and I was the understudy for The Phantom. We had never rehearsed together, so when both the Phantom and Christine got sick, me and Milly met for the first time on stage. She was amazing, and I fell in love. Now, Milly plays Elphaba, and for a few months I played Fiero. Then, she asked me to marry her. 

I just wasn’t ready for that. There was so much I hadn’t done and I knew that if I married her, I wouldn’t leave her for any adventure. So I left, and I often stay awake at night wondering if I made the right choice. That’s why I despise Broadway. Every time I hear that kind of music, I think of her and my heart breaks all over again. 

“What are you doing here?” Millie asked, obviously not happy to see me. She was even more beautiful than I remembered, even with all the green makeup. 

“You’re in danger,” I said, not wasting a single word, “ we need to run.”

“What? Seriously? You disappear for years and then you just expect me to run off with you into the sunset?”

“Milly, your life is in danger!”

“I live in New York, my life is always in danger!”

“Not like this. Ok?”

“Why do you even care? Even if my life was in danger, why do you…”

“BECAUSE I NEVER STOPPED LOVING YOU!”

Then we just looked at each other as I started to cry. I almost never cry and Milly knew that. So we just looked at each other in silence. After a minute or so of just sitting in the silence, I explained to her what was going on and how much time we had left. She understood, and she believed me. However, Milly would never disappoint an audience and she had two more shows that week. So she agreed to let me escort her everywhere she went until I was absolutely sure she was safe. 

Although, Mike the director was not a big fan of the idea. So I had to cut a deal. For two shows only I would once again play Fiero. It was just like riding a bike. Just a few hours of rehearsals and I was ready. To be honest, I enjoyed it a little, but only a little. 

Ok, so I loved it. I loved every second of it. And that first performance made me feel like I was finally home after a long and tiring journey. Millie knew this. She could see it in my eyes everytime she looked at me. Then, during “As long as you’re mine”, when we kissed, it was real. It was passionate. She wasn’t acting and neither was I. At that moment, I could see myself spending the rest of my life with her. 

The next day, at the end of the last show I performed in, just as we were taking our bows, I looked to off stage right and saw Andre pointing to his watch. Time was up.

I looked at Milly and just as the curtains closed I grabbed her hand and we bolted off stage. We quickly ran into her dressing room so we could get out of our costumes because there was no way we could have run dressed the way we were. After we got all the makeup off and we were in our street clothes, we went out of the room and into the hall. We suddenly heard a gunshot followed by a plethora of screams. It sounded like the shot came from down the hall but it must have missed because the bullet was in the wall instead of someone’s body. 

I told Milly to stay in the dressing room as I ran toward the origin of the sound. I pulled my handgun out from my holster as I got further down the hall. I then heard footsteps leading to backstage. I led these sounds to the catwalk where I found an Elmo costume and a pair of stilts. 

Then I heard the other shot. 

There was no way I could have known for sure but I just felt it. I felt and I knew in my heart that Milly, one of the last things I was living for, was dead. 

In anger I ran back to the dressing room where I found a figure standing over Milly’s body. I told him to turn around as I aimed my gun at his head. He turned around and what I saw shocked me. 

He was a kid in a creepy mask. He looked to be no older than twelve or thirteen. I was so angry that I was about to pull the trigger and murder a little kid. The little murdered slammed the door before I could shoot and when I opened it again, he was gone. 

I ran over to her and saw the hole in her head. I screamed out and cried into the night, asking for some Angel or Devil or anyone to save her. But no one came. I closed her eyelids and just stayed there with her the rest of the night. 

Apparently Milly wasn’t the only person he killed that night. Three bombs went off that night. All hidden in pianos at Hamilton, Phantom Of the Opera, and Little Shop Of Horrors. The eighty eighth piano was found in the orchestra pit of Wicked. 

The next morning, the headlines read “Piano Man Kills Again” and “Broadway Star Sings No More”. 

That day keeps replaying in my mind. I shouldn’t have left Milly in her dressing room. I just wanted to keep her safe. This monster has murdered so many people I love that I don’t know if I have the strength to do anything anymore. 

The theaters haven’t even been rebuilt yet. They say it’ll take years to repair everything we lost but hundreds of people died that night. I don’t think their families will ever recover. And I know I will never recover.

I think they mean the physical damage.

Yeah, I know that. Why are you even here? Who are you?

I am a man who is very interested in the child you mentioned.

Yeah, you and me both. 

I think I care a little more than you.

What? You his daddy or something?

No. I’m not nearly old enough to be his father.

Then what is he to you?

Well?

What is he to you?!

Hey!?

WHO IS HE?!?!

January 26, 2022 15:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

199 comments

.. .
14:05 Apr 08, 2022

hey hope ur okay. miss u

Reply

Cooper Armstrong
16:40 Apr 08, 2022

I miss you too. I was really hoping I could have celebrated my birthday with you guys.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Dhwani Jain
11:18 Apr 08, 2022

Hey Cooper, long time no see!!! This was an absolutely fantastic story. The way that you narrated it was aweseom and the final bit, the 'Who are you to the boy', just left me wondering, WHO WERE THEY TO THE BOY? Anyways, I am looking forward to reading more of your content. How have you been? Anything new lately?

Reply

Cooper Armstrong
13:28 Apr 08, 2022

Hi yeah it’s been forever! Thank you so much! Maybe you’ll find out. Im alright Not much

Reply

Dhwani Jain
16:54 Apr 08, 2022

I know!!! XD...Waiting. Nice. Okay...coolio

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Dhwani Jain
11:21 Apr 08, 2022

(I came here after reading your bio..) HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY, COOPER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply

Cooper Armstrong
13:28 Apr 08, 2022

Thanks Dhwani!

Reply

Dhwani Jain
16:54 Apr 08, 2022

=D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
TJ Squared
19:22 Mar 12, 2022

Hey Cooper. It’s been a while. How are you?

Reply

Cooper Armstrong
18:44 Mar 13, 2022

WOLFIE!!!! Oh good you’re not gone for good. I’m alright. I went on a huge trip to NYC this week. I got braces on two days ago which sucks. I’m planning on auditioning for Music Man with a company I’ve never performed with before so I’m a little nervous. Especially sense there’s this one guy (Will) who is basically me but a little better looking and a little shorter, and he’s also auditioning so as far as I know he’s my biggest competition. Also, if I get in the show, it will be the first time I’ve performed in (does quick calculations) FIVE...

Reply

TJ Squared
19:33 Mar 13, 2022

wowwwww that's fun! I'm sure you'll do great like you always do ;) very coolio!! oooo noiceeeee I've missed talking with you too. thx. I appreciate that very much <3 been praying for you too <3 lol i'll be sure to remember that XD geez it's interesting how me leaving for a couple of weeks makes it sound like I'm leaving forever lol I've been...all over the place, but mostly good.

Reply

Cooper Armstrong
20:01 Mar 13, 2022

Thanks *blushes a little* Well your bio made it sound like that. Ok good

Reply

TJ Squared
21:36 Mar 13, 2022

Ofc <3 you got it. I tried to make it less confusing now. Ye

Reply

Cooper Armstrong
11:33 Mar 14, 2022

YAY!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Cooper Armstrong
13:05 Apr 25, 2022

(New Thread) Yeah, I could say it, but it wouldn’t be as fun lol XD And you’re in Cali rn right? What’s taking you north?

Reply

TJ Squared
13:34 Apr 25, 2022

Lol true. Dad got a job so yeah.

Reply

Cooper Armstrong
14:28 Apr 25, 2022

Ok. Fair warning, the people in the north can be very strange. They aren’t as friendly as they are down here. For example: they consider making eye contact with a stranger in the street to be rude. Especially if you smile at them. And they don’t say Y’all or ain’t and the Mexican food up there sucks.

Reply

TJ Squared
18:32 Apr 25, 2022

lol I find it quite different than that actually. thanks tho.

Reply

Cooper Armstrong
14:26 May 06, 2022

Hey, how are you? I know I haven’t talked with u in a while so wassup?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
13:34 Jan 27, 2022

Beautiful story! I love the music and piano theme. :)

Reply

Cooper Armstrong
15:45 Jan 27, 2022

Thank you so much! I’m so so so glad you enjoyed it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Octavian Adams
19:57 May 02, 2022

Hey Cooper, it's Octavian (or Doc Oc :)) I know we haven't talked for a while, but I feel like with the situation at hand you don't have a lot of safe people. Would you like to talk, explain your side of things or vent? I'm not on anybody's side with this and I'd love to hear your point of view. I believe in you <3 And you may always reach out. I'm a safe person forever :)

Reply

Cooper Armstrong
23:42 May 03, 2022

Thanks Doc <3 I’m glad I still have a friend on here, but they’re all right. What I did was messed up and wrong on countless levels. I deserve everything they say. But it’s still nice to know you’re here.

Reply

Octavian Adams
03:48 May 06, 2022

Humans mess up all the time, and you deserve to feel hurt or angry for the way they have/are treating you. Nobody here is blameless, nor perfect. Just because you made a mistake does not mean you are a bad person, and you do still deserve to be forgiven. However I understand it may be hard to talk about and if you chose not to, that's alright <3 Of course :) I could never leave such a good friend or person

Reply

Cooper Armstrong
13:50 May 06, 2022

Thank you so much *hugs* How have you been?

Reply

Octavian Adams
13:56 May 06, 2022

Always :) (Also, if you don't mind me asking, which name would you prefer me to use for you here on Reedsy?) I've been doing good, you?

Reply

Cooper Armstrong
14:23 May 06, 2022

<3 I’ve been alright. Things have just been weird and uncomfy for certain reasons.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Hello Cooper. ------------------- Do you read the prologue of a book? A Yes, every time B No, never C Sometimes/It depends Note: I am copy-and-pasting this to multiple people. -------------------

Reply

Cooper Armstrong
23:24 Apr 17, 2022

A

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Philia S
02:33 Apr 10, 2022

Hey! Happy belated Birthday! I SWEAR I REMEMBERED IT ON APRIL 5TH AND I HAD PROMISED MYSELF I'D WISH YOU BUT IT SLIPPED MY MIND IM SO SORRY- but i really hope you enjoyed it. TvT I hope you're well. :)

Reply

Cooper Armstrong
19:58 Apr 10, 2022

Lol it’s fine

Reply

Philia S
14:32 Apr 11, 2022

How did it go? :) And how are you?

Reply

Cooper Armstrong
16:34 Apr 11, 2022

It went pretty good I’m ok I guess

Reply

Philia S
00:33 Apr 12, 2022

That's nice. :) Ah. Hope you feel great soon. Always here if you want to vent, if that helps.

Reply

Cooper Armstrong
14:29 Apr 12, 2022

Thanks :) I’ll probably vent to you later. You’re the one who made the venting form right? And how are you?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Cooper Armstrong
16:35 Apr 05, 2022

YES! I’M NOT ALONE!!!

Reply

Cooper Armstrong
13:38 Apr 06, 2022

LOL, whats your favorite of the roles you’ve played?

Reply

ANY BOY I PLAYED AHAHAHA and im sorry for the late reply!!

Reply

Cooper Armstrong
01:12 Apr 22, 2022

Ur good ur good lol Ok let me narrow it down, what is your favorite show that you’ve been in?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
17:07 Feb 17, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 0 replies
Unknown User
00:15 Feb 15, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Cooper Armstrong
13:23 Feb 15, 2022

Well, I’m single on the week of Valentine’s Day. My closest friends aren’t actually close to me. And my parents don’t think I’m going anywhere. So I’m alright I guess.

Reply

Unknown User
18:36 Feb 15, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Cooper Armstrong
14:18 Feb 16, 2022

Awww thanks Wait, how old are you?

Reply

Unknown User
18:57 Feb 16, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Cooper Armstrong
14:25 Feb 17, 2022

Kk

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
14:16 Feb 14, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Cooper Armstrong
13:15 Feb 15, 2022

Oh, sorry, right hand right next to the thumb and a little under the pointer finger.

Reply

Unknown User
13:27 Feb 15, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Cooper Armstrong
14:22 Feb 15, 2022

U welcome

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
TJ Squared
17:33 Jan 28, 2022

Oof the dramatic questioning at the end is just wow. It really adds a sense of depth especially at the end. Leaves readers wanting more (me included) Will there be a part two??? Anyways, I loved the style and themes of music and Broadway shows. Very iNtErEsTiNg mystery murder, if I do say so myself. Nice jobbbbb :D How have you been?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Unknown User
19:58 May 04, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Cooper Armstrong
01:23 May 05, 2022

Yeah I’m just not sure if that would help. I thought it would help to humiliate and punish myself publicly on the internet. But Skye I am incredibly sorry. I know that doesn’t change anything, and I’m not trying to change anything, I know I can’t undo the past. But I am sorry. I mean that with complete and whole hearted honesty.

Reply

Unknown User
01:38 May 05, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Cooper Armstrong
01:58 May 05, 2022

Thank you so so much you have no idea how much that means to me

Reply

Unknown User
02:13 May 05, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
12:36 May 02, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Cooper Armstrong
23:45 May 03, 2022

Thanks. This means a lot to me <3 And you’re right What I did was wrong. But it hurts that everyone is still hurting because of me. IDK I just wish it’d all stop you know?

Reply

Unknown User
12:23 May 04, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Cooper Armstrong
12:57 May 04, 2022

Yeah

Reply

Unknown User
13:01 May 04, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Cooper Armstrong
13:02 May 04, 2022

It’s ok. How have you been lately?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
13:59 Apr 27, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Cooper Armstrong
14:19 Apr 27, 2022

👍

Reply

Unknown User
14:24 Apr 27, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 0 replies
Unknown User
14:57 Apr 27, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Cooper Armstrong
17:10 Apr 27, 2022

Im sorry my finger slipped and I accidentally deleted my comment which deleted yours

Reply

Unknown User
17:12 Apr 27, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Cooper Armstrong
17:13 Apr 27, 2022

I edited the story

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
12:27 Apr 25, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Cooper Armstrong
13:06 Apr 25, 2022

I’m ok. How are you?

Reply

Unknown User
13:51 Apr 25, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Cooper Armstrong
14:30 Apr 25, 2022

<3 I miss y’all

Reply

Unknown User
14:32 Apr 25, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Cooper Armstrong
16:10 Apr 25, 2022

Life’s just been really stressful. I have a deadline in 6 days for my script and my teacher keeps shutting down everything I do even though it’s my script!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Dhwani Jain
17:07 Apr 22, 2022

The Dream DJ Podcast, now available!!! Join the community of Dream DJ listeners now!!! https://anchor.fm/the-dream-dj/episodes/The-Dream-DJ-Podcast---Trailer-e1hhb8f

Reply

Show 0 replies
Unknown User
15:29 Apr 19, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Cooper Armstrong
02:06 Apr 20, 2022

Echo said some things I deserved so I left, again. And something’s going on with my points

Reply

Unknown User
12:20 Apr 20, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Cooper Armstrong
13:28 Apr 20, 2022

Thanks <3 but I don't think it’s downvoting. I went from having points in the 400’s to having points in the 60’s.

Reply

Unknown User
13:29 Apr 20, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Cooper Armstrong
13:39 Apr 20, 2022

Actually, I think you’re right. I just commented on Wolfie’s comment to my comment and my first comments have been downvoted. Could you upvote me? If you have the time that is. It would mean a lot to me.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
19:53 Apr 18, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Cooper Armstrong
23:38 Apr 18, 2022

Right. I meant to say xey

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.