Our Memories Shall Live on Forever

Submitted into Contest #62 in response to: Write about a character putting something into a time capsule.... view prompt

7 comments

Friendship Happy Teens & Young Adult

We had completed our final year of secondary school and we were determined to make the memories we had created over the years live on forever, that's why we were here.

 As we sat down on the grass and formed a circle, all the memories came flooding back. The playful squeals and innocent giggles of young children running around the park reminded me of our earlier years when we would come down to this exact same park every day after school and play and laugh exactly like they did, oh how I wish the clocks could turn back so we could relive those moments.

There were four of us, Me, Jessica, Charlotte, and Willow. Ever since 2nd grade we had been completely inseparable and never far from each other, well, physically we had been distanced, but at heart, never. As days turned to weeks, and weeks turned to years, our friendship grew, our bond strengthened, and all the memories pilled. We never wanted to forget the best memories and we wanted them to live on, so that's why we were all here, seated on the grass, Jessica had the shovel, Willow had the time capsule, and we all had an object which was connected to one of our fondest memory. If we aren't able to turn back time in order to relive the moments, then we will keep them alive and treasure them forever.

I opened the time capsule and placed in the middle of the circle before I looked up and smiled, "who wants to go first?" I asked. Willow rummaged through her floral tote bag before pulling out as small silver bicycle bell, "I will," she uttered while smiling back at me.

“This bicycle bell reminds me of 10th grade, back when we would cycle down in the countryside, around where the farms and paddocks were, during the summer break,” Willow stopped and gazed down upon the bell which she had placed between her two index fingers, before she continued speaking.

“I remember the skies always being so clear and the grass was so lush and green. The air was cool and when it hit your face, I remember feeling so refreshed and blissful, as if nothing else matter in the world. Do you know what made that moment even more blissful?” Willow was no longer looking at the bell, instead she was looking at us with the biggest smile plastered across her face, “the thing that made those moment even more blissful was the fact that you guys were there with me, together, feeling the exact same bliss and joy I felt.” Willow took one last look at the bell before gently placing it inside the capsule. By now we were all smiling as we recalled those days. Our thoughts were disrupted by two young children quarrelling loudly not too far behind us:

“Hey! That’s cheating!”

“No, it’s not,”

“Yes, it is cheating,”

“No, it’s not because I made the game,”

Aww, I’m not playing anymore.”

They eventually ran off to the opposite side of the oval to engage in some alternative activity. We all looked at each other before laughing, “I remember when we would argue over little things like that,” Charlotte commented, “me too,” I added, “We were so young back then,” Willow finished, another burst of laughter rang out from us. “Ok settle down, it’s my turn,” Jessica spoke while still giggling. Jessica untied the multicoloured hand woven bracelet from her wrist and held it up to eye level. A gasp escaped Charlottes mouth,

“You still have that!”  

“Of course, I still have it,” Jessica replied. “Back in 6th grade, during the autumn, at this exact same park, we made friendship bracelets. We made these bracelets as a promise that we would be friends forever, no matter what. Back then life was absolutely amazing.” We all admired the bracelet before Jessica placed it into the capsule, next to Willow’s bicycle bell.

“Charlotte?” Jessica asked, Charlotte nodded, “I’ll go next. Thanks Jessica.” From the pocket of her jacket Charlotte presented an iPod. “We made so many memories with this little iPod right here. Whenever we had sleepovers we would always play music and choreograph little dances to go along with the song. My favourite song that we chorography together was Say My Name by Destiny’s Child.” In unison we all chorused “YES!” for we all knew that was one of the best dances we ever choreographed. Just like Willow and Jessica, Charlotte placed the iPod in the capsule. They all were looking at me now, it was my turn to deliver a memorable moment that we once shared.

I provided a small blue badge that read “Congratulation Graduating Class of 2010” even though we had graduated less than 6 months ago, this badge was connected to my favourite memory which we shared together because as we stood there holding our year 12 certificates while wearing our graduation caps and gowns I remember how proud I was of all of us for reaching the end of secondary school. I was proud because we had completed this chapter of our life and we were moving on to a new chapter. After I placed the badge into the capsule, we all examined the objects within it before I closed it. That’s it, we were done.

Willow picked up the time capsule while we all arose from our seating position and dusted off the grass which had stuck to our clothes. By now the squeals and giggles of young children began to fade and vibrant shades of red, orange, and yellow stained the heavens above us.

Jessica tilted her head up, “Wow the sky looks absolutely breathtaking.”

We all tilted our heads up and gazed upon the beauty of the sky with Jessica,

“I know,” Willow added, “It’s absolutely mesmerising.”

We admired the beauty of the sky for a couple more seconds before we looked back down.

“We should burry the capsule over there,” Charlotte points to large oak tree, we all nod our head while speaking words that displayed affirmation, then we began to walk, over to the old oak tree.

Jessica took the shovel and planted it the ground, only a few meters away from the trunk of the tree. She then began digging, digging until she had created a whole that was a bit deeper and wider than the actual time capsule. We were looking at Willow now, she was the one holding the capsule. Willow smiled and took a deep breath in, she then planted a kiss on her hand then touched the time capsule, before saying, “May all our memories live on forever.” With that Willow gently placed the capsule into the whole and Jessica began refilling the whole with dirt.

“We’re done,” Charlotte said, satisfaction lingering in her tone.

“Not quite,” I said while frolicking through my bag, they all looked at me with perplexed faces.

“AH-HA, here it is, behold I present to you a red ribbon,” more confusion filled their face,

“What’s it for?” Charlotte asked, I smiled at her and began walking over to the oak tree, they followed behind me puzzled. I then began climbing up the tree and securely tied the red ribbon on the closest branch I could reach before climbing back down. I then provided them with a n explanation, “this ribbon acts as a reminder of where we planted the capsule,” they all smiled and nodded their heads because they finally understood, “what a genius you are,” Charlotte commented.

The laughter and squeals of children had finally ceased, and the once vibrant sunset had merged into an indigo colour. We had come here to make sure our fondest memories lived on forever, and that is exactly what we did. Our task was completed and now it was time to head home. If there is one thing I learnt today, it would be that the value of a moment is never really known until it becomes a sweet and distant memory.

October 09, 2020 22:46

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

7 comments

Ang Wise
11:58 Oct 15, 2020

Really liked this! The description is so great! There’s a few spelling and punctuation errors that are easily fixable. But an all around really good job ☺️

Reply

Olisadebe O
12:12 Oct 16, 2020

Thank you so much!! I really appreciate your constructive criticism also❤

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Julia Boddie
13:07 Oct 16, 2020

It's a very interesting story. I loved the descriptions. I think it's amazing how you can make something so simple into something this great. I can't wait to read more of your work!

Reply

Olisadebe O
01:05 Oct 17, 2020

Thank you so much!! I really appreciate it 😁

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Vicky S
04:53 Oct 18, 2020

Hi Olisadebe, I thought your story was really interesting. Really enjoyed reading it.

Reply

Olisadebe O
11:45 Oct 18, 2020

Thank you so much!!

Reply

Vicky S
19:46 Oct 18, 2020

You're welcome

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.