0 comments

Fantasy Fiction Suspense

The wind howled and the old wooden shutters banged against the house.

"I should have fastened them but it is too late now. I wasn’t about to go out there and get drenched to avoid a bit of extra noise. They will be fine, they have seen far worse. Now that new leak that developed in the bedroom is another matter. I didn’t know if I would be able to sleep with a slow steady drip into a pail. I just shut the door and found another room to spend the night. First thing tomorrow I hope to find that leak and patch it, once the rain lets up. This old creaky place always has something that needs mending. All this space and only little old me to watch after it.

Now what would be nice, I thought to myself, is if a couple strangers showed up unannounced. Someone to share this dismissal evening with me. Maybe the road could wash out. Or their vehicle could stall or have a flat, leaving them stranded with me as their only refuge. I always leave the driveway and the porch well lit on nights like this for a happenstance of this kind. How convenient I happen to be within sight of the road.

I haven’t had any visitors for quite some time now and I was due. I could feel it. It takes a lot to muster up such a storm and it is draining. I need them to recharge me, feed my soul and bring me some solace. I am not greedy, I only need two, three tops, and I will be good again for a few years. I am always kind and courteous, an excellent host. They will be left wanting nothing, except maybe a phone. There is no reception out here and my landline is only for aesthetics, it has never worked. The kind young gentleman that attempted to install it never completed the job.

Every century or two there are new inventions to improve our lives. They only bring more headaches, more obstacles to overcome, more things to fix. Actually, in a way, they make my traps more elaborate, more difficult to escape from. I keep looking for new ways to draw them in and make them feel safe and warm. Over time the imagination can become quite dull and stale. Nothing like something new to add a little spice to any situation. Keeping them guessing as to what will happen next is the fun part. Gripping the edge of their seats with no idea of how much longer they have, most invigorating. I feed them a glimmer of hope now and again with a glimpse of possible escape. Only to snatch it away and watch them fall into despair. How cold and still their eyes become when that final breath leaves the body. That unblinking gaze of nothingness, an empty vessel. Then the overwhelming rush as their energy fills me, there is nothing like it. Again, I am not greedy, like I said, two, three tops, and I am good for a few years.

I am not to blame for this, you have to look skyward for that. Make one mistake and you get dropped onto this dirt ball to fend for yourself. I wouldn’t have to do what I do if they let me back in up there. I have asked, no begged, but to no avail. They will not even acknowledge my existence. Do you know how annoying and frustrating that is? No matter how loud I am or brutal I behave, nothing. You have to believe me, I have had centuries, I tried everything. I am open to suggestions.

You must see my side of this, I am but a victim of circumstance. There is no out for me, they won’t allow it. Now I have to plead with a mere mortal for my very existence. A strange twist of fate indeed. How did you happen upon this enchantment? Did someone just leave it laying about? Come now, you are my captor and try as I may, in my weakened state, I can not break it. If I was at full power, you would feel my wrath! I would squash you like a bug! Oh, I apologize for the outburst. My weakened state has the better of me. Please, I beg of you, we can resolve this in a very civil manor. No need for anything drastic. What do you want with me? I am but a poor suffering soul looking for redemption. What can I do to prove my sincerity? I have riches beyond your wildest imagination, name your price. I can make it more than worth your while, if you release me. I would shake your hand to seal the deal if I could but you have me bound to this chair unable to even wiggle a pinky. Come now, there must be something I can offer you? I mean, I did let you into my house and take shelter from that storm outside. I fed you and let you warm yourself by my fire and this is how you repay my hospitality. Say something! You haven’t uttered a word since you bound me. Tell me what you want! Your silence is deafening."

The man sitting on the floor slowly stood up and began to circle his captured prey. His footsteps fell without a sound upon the floor. When he again faced his bound victim, he sat back down and smiled. He finally began to speak.

"I know very well who you are Mephistopheles. I am the Hunter. I won’t apologize for my deception or my rudeness. You reap what you sow and I have what I want. You. The question is, what will I do with you?"

Mephistopheles leaned forward, bared his teeth and growled as he replied.

"I am immortal. You can not kill me!"

The Hunter smiled as he answered.

"Yes, I know. There are many out there and up above that would love to have you and torture you for all eternity. Now, I ask myself again, what to do with you? Of course, I will take everything you own, so you have nothing to give me. Hmmm, there is a rumor about something you took once upon a time. A small token that gives you your power. I know you are unable to muster up such a storm without a little help. Tell me where it is or I could simply drop a beacon and broadcast your location. You did say you were trying, with no avail, to get the attention of those above us. All your camouflage will melt away and you will be left bare for all to see. Or was that a lie, like every word that passes your lips. So I will only ask this once, where is it?"

The Hunter stood up and his long flowing robes draped gracefully to the floor. He raised his hands above his head and stretched out his long spindly fingers. The air between his hands began to glow, forming into a ball of light. He gazed up at the light and began to mumble an undecipherable incantation.

"Alright, alright, stop! It is of no use to you anyway. No mortal can wield its power. It is useless in your hands, you won’t even be able to touch it. I don’t see the point and you are being totally unreasonable. Once I give it to you and you free me, how do you know I won’t turn on you."

The Hunter looked down at his captive and grinned.

"Assured mutual destruction. If you make any attempt of retribution, Zeus will know it was you that stole a piece of his master bolt and hid it from him. So will all the other gods and mortals. Zeus does not like to be tricked or humiliated, especially for all to see. He will make an example of you, for all eternity. Do we have an understanding? I have the shackle from Hades keys, a tip of Poseidon’s trident and now the final piece. With these combined, I will free and control the Titans that were unjustly locked away. This world, above and below, will be wiped clean. The gods have had their time, now it is my turn. Hand it over, now! Your fate is in your hands. Choose…."

June 05, 2021 00:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.