5 comments

Crime Science Fiction Thriller

"Have you ever felt where you're repeating the same mistakes everyday or in your lifetime?

Where the story of your life are filled with Irony sentences...

Where you feel guilty of yourself every time..."

The author felt something like that, too. Well, everybody does...

She didn't write this story if it weren't for you~

***

I walked inside the room. Taking every step on the polished tiled floor, looking side to side towards the walls, staring at every picture.

Our dog, Cookie, who died several years ago. His fur was dirty blonde with pretty long ears yet, I can't remember how she died..

My beautiful wife wearing her yellow hoodie, went missing four years ago...

And my daughter...

Well,

She was murdered by someone, someone which I will hate and murder. I'm a policeman myself, but for me, putting the bad guy in jail is never my justice!

This man is unforgivable!

***

I stared at the files of my daughter's case. It says that her body parts were chopped and was buried inside a bamboo forest, her head was in the refrigerator. Her parent wasn't there at the house, because that's me. I have to handle cases during those hours and left her home alone. I regret everything...

"Sorry for your loss..."

Officer James came up to me, sipping his hot chocolate. You may think this man's my friend but he's not. Either way, he hates me just because I haven't solved his mother's case. His mother was murdered, too. I guess I finally knew how it felt to lose someone you love while the inspectors drop and ignore those killings...

I bowed my head, ashamed of myself. Took out a long sigh and nodded.

I closed the folder and went inside the hall to report myself in front of the chief. He told me he would hire a detective to catch the murderer and pair up with me. I don't disagree. But somehow, I have this weird feeling in my chest, telling me 'no'.

***

The wooden walls and the cemented floor, walking between the tight hall, sides filled with doors. Some medals over here and there and a police suit in a frame standing beside a door.... Which I haven't seen before...

The door was darker than the others. I decided to see what's inside...

Creeeak

I slightly pushed the door as it swung open, revealing a dark room filled with beakers, machines and some... weird inventions?

I closed the door shut and walked inside the room crowded with wires and metal beads on the floor with some large screens pinned on the walls and a large bluish capsule inside...

I chuckled. At first, I thought it was a time machine. I opened the capsule's glass door by swiping them sideways and walked inside for some entertainment, or maybe I was curious by the time...

I turned around and observed the room through the glass from inside, not until...

Fushaaak

I swiftly rotated my head from behind as the transparent door suddenly closed. My eyes trembled as my feet shook. Smoke came from above, filling in the vessel's corners. As blue lights crawled onto the vessel's walls, letting out metal sound...

I closed my eyes and...

***

Asshaaaaa

I realized that the door suddenly opened and the smoke went out. I sighed and calmed down, slightly smirked as I thought this was some kind of joke. But, no...

When I went out the so-called lab, well, the hall was there but as I turned around: The door where I came from was gone...

Yes, I'm staring at a blank wall...

I ran towards my office, thinking I might be crazy. I pulled my meds from the drawer and swallowed a pill or two. These pills are from my stress, they're very useful during work hours when my head starts hurting.

I dropped my butt on my black office chair and let out a long sigh. But my anxiety kicked in as I looked at my calendar: September 30, 2013.

This was the day my daughter was anticipated to be killed and her severed head was discovered three weeks after.

My eyes brightened up as I realized:

I was back in time!

That capsule thingy I found was a time machine.

***

I swiftly ran home to see my daughter, if she was already killed or still alive and is soon to be dead. These might be an opportunity to catch the suspect!

Through the roads I took a turn, and another right. Passing by each sign as the confused citizens saw a police jaywalking. I crossed a red light and was almost got hit by a high-speeding Ferrari.

I have to break the rules if I want to save or avenge my daughter...

***

Bam!

I slammed open the fancy house door as I first stepped on the porch.

"Fatalie!"

I screamed, as I felt sweat slid from my face. My hopes lit up as I heard footsteps from the stairs...

"Father?!"

Ahh, there she is...

My teenage daughter in one piece. As her long black hair flowed by the wind, wearing her yellow hoodie above her blue shorts, observing as her bare-foot touched the wooden floor...

"Sweetie!"

I came up and hugged her, hard. Holding back my tears of joy. It's relaxing to see her again like thi-

Kachaak!

"Agghh!"

I suddenly dropped down on the floor, my police uniform stained with red. Spitting blood from my mouth, holding my stomach;

The spot where my daughter stabbed me...

My eyes widened, staring at her piercing, cold eyes. A knife from her left hand as she's standing on a puddle of my own blood...

I shuddered:

"W-why did you do that?! You're not my daughter! She wouldn't do this!"

I screamed, crawling backwards until my back hit a wall. Still waiting for her response...

"I am not your daughter..." she replied

I shook in surprise, I mean, who is this person, then???

"W-who're you?"

I muttered, her, no, whoever she or he is, her stab hurts so much. I could barely speak...

"Me?"

She asked, coldly. She hesitated for a couple seconds and chuckled:

"I am your wife, Madelyn!"

She pointed her knife towards me...

My wife? But my wife went missing three years ago from now! She's gone! I still don't trust her. Whoever she is, she's stealing my daughter's identity...

"B-but w-w-why're you doing this?!"

I asked.

"You don't remember? How pitiful. Must be bad having Alzheimer's disease, huh?"

Huh? I don't have Alzheimer's disease. Or so I think... She continued:

"-But that doesn't mean you can use that as an excuse from killing our daughter! Not to mention, chopping her body parts and burying them in the place where we first met!"

My eyes trembled...

T-this doesn't make any sense at all! But I have to at least make something clear. Think, Cardo, think!

Memories flashed through my head:

***

"Father! Please, stop! You're drunk! It hurts!"

"J-just stop f-fvcking c-complaining and do your godd*mn work!"

***

I can't think clearly by the time. All I could see was blurred scenes. With a smudge of red and yellow. A teenage girl's screams and cries, telling me to stop. I-

I can't remember anything at all...

***

"Woof, woof, woof!"

"Shut up, Cookie!"

***

A dog barking, howling. Trying to escape from his chain leash, letting out a metal sound.

Another thing, those loud barking turned into whining and those blurred visions were covered with more red smudges, I can hardly guess what's going on...

***

"Oh my! Stop this instant, sir Cardo!"

"Get out of my way, old lady!"

***

It was an old lady's this time. I wonder who it was...

I couldn't guess anytime sooner as one shrill scream flooded my thoughts...

***

"Do you remember now?"

Fatalie, no, Madelyn asked.

Despair washed over me, as hopelessness weighed my chest. Realizing my mistakes...

Now that I think about it, she is my wife...

***

So I killed my own daughter...

My own pet who's trying to stop my actions...

And I was the one who killed Officer James's mother who's trying to save my daughter...

Just how sinful was I? How did I ended up a policeman? Those hopes of mine where I thought I'd capture the suspect and bring justice, shattered to pieces. I never thought I would be that suspect...

I hesitated...

"Whatever, you don't need to exist anyway!"

She rushed towards me, raising the knife up in the air and-

Bam!

***

I swiftly pulled my police gun out and shot her to the head. Her body left down dead on the ground.

I stared at her lifeless eyes, as blood streamed the floor from her head...

I trembled, I never knew what to do. As I gasped in discern, noticing what I have done...

But it's pretty obvious of what I did...

***

Of course, I chopped her head and kept it in the refrigerator. Cleaned the floor and washed my clothes. Making the scene look like a murder...

Making people see that, that murderer...

Isn't me!

October 06, 2020 11:12

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

Jamela Faye
11:20 Oct 06, 2020

For confused audiences: Cardo killed his daughter, and in the future where he thought it's his wife that have gone missing. Cardo killed his wife and chopped her head, putting it in the refrigerator, where in the future, he thought was his daughter who's killed by another murderer... (It's very hard to explain, actually) Alzheimer's disease is a mental problem where you forget things easily, and can't recall those memories anymore. (It's better to search it up) And I must admit: I suck writing first person XD So this was an experiment...

Reply

Deepti Kumari
06:00 Oct 07, 2020

Nice story. Jamela Faye. I like your story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Len Mooring
21:46 Oct 14, 2020

You conveyed the confusion splendidly, I could put myself in his shoes. That cusp between awareness and unawareness would be terrifying when you know you've done something unconscionable.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Laiba Noor
17:54 Oct 08, 2020

Now, I'm thinking I shouldn't have read this story at this time, it's really trembled my heart emotionally, it was horrible. But, I'm confused at two points.. First- The door was darker than the others, I wanted to see what's inside ( About which place and door you were trying to say and from where a time machine appeared? ) Second- How could he consider his wife as his daughter, and his wife said or what he learnt from the past that he was murdering his daughter then where was his daughter's body? Why did he only find his wife's body wh...

Reply

Jamela Faye
03:33 Oct 09, 2020

Like I said, it's confusing. I really don't have a solid plan for this and ends up with a lot of plot holes. The door has darker wood than the others which inside is the lab with the time machine. Secondly, like I explained in the comments; The case between his wife and daughter, switched. In the beginning, his wife went missing, but the truth is that it was his daughter that went missing. And he said his daughter was beheaded when its actually his wife which he killed. And those pills he was taking, it's for his Alzheimer's disea...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.