35 comments

Drama Mystery

           With a snap, the crew pounced into action. The lights pulsed with a penetrating glow. The cameras clicked, zooming in and focusing on the subject. The theme music blared over the hidden speakers.

           “This is United News, America’s first sitcom-based news station,” the anchor paused for some canned laughter to echo into the filming room, “and your host Debbie LaBrown is here investigating Abigail Hartford, New York’s finest investigator.”

           Debbie beamed as the laughter started up again, this time with a few recorded “woos!” while Abigail stared straight ahead with a pained smile. How a news station could score such a patriotic name and simultaneously be so terrible would forever remain a mystery to Abigail, and one that she couldn’t solve.

           Debbie joked about something else, followed by extended-sitcom laughter—the station didn’t even have a real studio audience, they literally stole recorded laughter from existing television shows and somehow weren’t punished for laughter-embezzlement—and finally handed a silver rhinestone-studded microphone matching her purple one to Abigail. “How does it feel to be such a renowned detective?”

           Abigail smiled sweetly. “It’s wonderful, and I am so happy to be a source of clarification to the New York City population, because as you know that’s where I’m based.” Her smile turned cheeky. “But I will admit that it’s hard to be so recognized and still sneak around. Most of the time I need to wear a disguise!” Her own chuckle was masked by a recording. This was going to get very annoying.

           “And how many cases have you solved?”

           “45.” Debbie gasped. Yes, Abigail was quite pleased with her repertoire. “I started out with minor fraud, then moved to,” she gave Debbie a pointed look, “embezzlement and copyright infringement,” Debbie looked away sheepishly, “and now I handle murder.”

           “Murder?” Debbie repeated as the laughter started up again. Did the recording just play after anybody spoke, regardless of what they actually said?

           “Yes." It was Abigail's turn to beam, because murders were the hardest to solve, and the most dramatically terrifying, but reaped the greatest rewards. Nobody got recognition for exposing the mayor’s illegal use of the budget, but they sure got famous when accusing him of murdering his daughter.

           “And how do you do it?” Cue the distracting laughter.

           Once it settled down, Abigail began. She felt her eyes shining and her mouth curling up into a genuine smile. She loved explaining her brilliance. “I pay attention. To everything.”

           “Everything?” Debbie raised her eyebrows dubiously.

           “Everything.” Abigail stared into her shallow, empty eyes. Looked into her pupils as if she was looking into her soul. “Absolutely everything.”

           The room grew silent for a moment, and the laughter couldn’t be heard over the primal connection Abigail and Debbie’s locked eyes had made, one accusatory, the other guilty, until Debbie looked away, breaking the spell. Nervously she concluded the interview, keeping tabs on Abigail with darting side-eyed glances, but Abigail’s smile never faltered. There was one thing she loved more than explaining her brilliance, and that was grilling other people with it.

           The production team told Abigail that she the interview would air on Channel 59 at 10:00 that night and Abigail thanked them, still slightly blinded from the bright camera-lights, wrapping her maroon coat around her slender frame—some called it showy to be wearing red, especially when your profession depended on your hiding ability, but Abigail figured that while she was famous she might as well be classy, which she accomplished with a matching beanie and lacy white scarf—and strode into the evening, the chilly city air biting her open cheeks and hands.

           She could have walked home, because she had a house—a townhouse, actually, that used to be her parents’ until they picked up and left for Los Angeles, where the fires burned brighter and the earthquakes shook violently, but they didn’t think about that, only how they wanted to get away from the grimy subways and shouty, harried locals. Though part of Abigail was ticked off at their unprecedented abandonment she had a nicer home than the majority of New Yorkers and would never leave the city where she had always lived and had finally made a name for herself. So instead she followed the cracked sidewalk overgrown with weeds to the familiar tenants’ congregation on the other side of the neighborhood where Alma was waiting for her. 

           Alma, the only girl matching Abigail’s tactical mind, and she could say that because Abigail had interviewed many pre-fame and Alma was the only eligible for the second round. Alma, who similarly had no time for canned laughter and shared Abigail’s ambition for reaching the front page of the New York Times, which deemed itself an impossible goal despite the many resolved murders. Alma, with a cherubic face and dark, springy, happy hair that countered Abigail’s older, weathered, business-like appearance. And most importantly Alma, with a sinking-low E.Q. so common to killers with no empathy.

           “United News was a joke,” Abigail recounted before Alma even had to ask. “The only time they should really use that fake laughter is after they introduce themselves.”

           “I figured.” Alma twirled some hair around her finger, a flickering streetlight not fully illuminating her face but stretching her shadow out menacingly behind her. But Abigail always knew her shadow was more menacing. “And did they ask you about Lowell?”

           Lilly Lowell, whose tacky name was only outshone by her tackier bath-bomb business. Abigail had no patience for destigmatizing dangerous weapons by making them misogynist beauty products for teenagers. “They did, and I didn’t tell them.” The first cardinal rule of detecting: never tell anybody what you’re doing until you’ve done it. It would also be a good rule for storybook villains; as a young girl Abigail had frequently wanted to bang her head against perfectly fine novels spoiled by a stupid villain.

           “Good,” Alma said. “I trusted you wouldn’t.”

           “And that’s why you won’t tell me the case details?”

           Alma’s shadow straightened its posture. “Partially, but not because I didn’t trust you to keep the info to yourself.” She sniffled. Good lord, Abigail didn’t have time for crying either. Alma’s voice cracked and her posture buckled down. “What I don’t trust is for you to listen to me without blackmail.”

           “You’re blackmailing me?” Abigail questioned coldly. She took a slow step towards Alma and was pleased to see that her shadow grew significantly taller. The streetlight stood between them like a referee.

           “No…well, yes…” Alma hiccupped. “Listen Abigail, I don’t want to murder anybody anymore!”

           “And why not?” This was their agreement. Their symbiosis. Alma would do the murdering, Abigail would spin it like an eloquent plot while blaming some sparsely-related scapegoat, Abigail would get famous, Abigail would pay Alma.

           “Because…because I’m out of ideas!” Alma wailed. “I’ve done poison, I’ve done pills, I’ve made things fall from the ceiling. I’ve unearthed asbestos and lead. Once I was desperate and I made my sick cousin run around the place so they all got the flu. But I can’t repeat-“

           “Or else you’ll be caught,” Abigail finished. “I’m well aware. And I’m also well aware that that’s not my problem. Think of something better.” She spoke carefully, making each word its own command.

           “If you wanted to be famous,” Alma choked out, “why couldn’t you have just become an actress or something easier?”

           “If you wanted a job, you could have become a babysitter,” Abigail countered. Next to them the light sputtered. “Who else but me would pay a 14-year-old a full-time salary?”

           Alma cowered. “I…I could…work as a waitress?”

           Abigail spat out a bitter laugh. The sputtering had turned to popping and she had found Alma’s weaknesses. Failure and, she figured, something common amongst all children: family. “Have fun with that. And have fun without your parents.”

           “What?” Alma whispered. “You’re murdering my parents? You hate getting blood on your coat!”

           That was true, despite the coat’s redness. But that was also not the point.

           “Alma, honey, it’s a wonder your parents’ illegal little boat-trip wasn’t discovered at the Gulf in Florida. It’s a miracle they got all the way up here from there.” Abigail tapped her chin. “But then again, Florida was never known for keeping the best tabs on its undocumented immigrants.”

           “Abigail Hartford, you wouldn’t!” Alma had raised herself to her still-growing height, and though her fists were clenched she was quivering like a blade of grass in a hurricane. The light popped and faded out, a squashed firefly.

           “Alma Martìnez, oh yes I will.” Of course, Abigail wouldn’t say how. That went against her cardinal rule. But she would, and right after would add “deportation” to her résumé of different lives, pardon, cases, she had cracked.

August 30, 2020 14:14

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

35 comments

Meggy House
14:15 Aug 30, 2020

Hi everybody! Once again, feedback is appreciated!

Reply

01:22 Sep 07, 2020

This is a really good story! I like how you introduced it, I was immediately hooked!

Reply

Meggy House
02:35 Sep 07, 2020

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
21:55 Oct 07, 2020

This is an awesome story! Keep writing!

Reply

Meggy House
21:58 Oct 07, 2020

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Regina Perry
13:35 Sep 07, 2020

Meggy, this is incredible! I love where you went with this story. I was not surprised one bit when Abigail turned out to be causing the murders, because of the prompt for which you wrote the story, but it was very well done. It was slightly amusing, in a dark-humour kind of way, when Alma said she couldn't kill anymore not because killing was distasteful but because she was running out of ways to kill.

Reply

Meggy House
18:31 Sep 07, 2020

Thank you! I'm happy you found Alma's bit funny, I did too :). Thank you so much for your feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
23:11 Sep 06, 2020

Wow! That got dark pretty quick. I loved the phrase laughter-embezzlement. I wasn't quite sure on the nature of the relationship between these 2 main characters at first, but this certainly was unexpected, especially when Abigail twisted back around on Alma and threatened deportation of her parents. Yikes!! Well-written and compact.

Reply

Meggy House
01:18 Sep 07, 2020

Thank you thank you thank you! Honestly, laughter-embezzlment is not a legit term, I believe, I just made it up, so I'm thankful you enjoyed it nonetheless. Did you feel the twist explained Abigail and Alma's relationship or ought I add more to them at first? I really appreciate your feedback and I was wondering if you had any specific thoughts? Thank you :)

Reply

11:53 Sep 08, 2020

I still wasn't totally sure if they were romantically involved or not, but I thought the ambiguity was fine. You did add that Alma was 14 so that SHOULD have cleared it up, but with a character of Abigail's depravity, one never knows.

Reply

Meggy House
18:13 Sep 08, 2020

Ahhhh thank you so much! I'm happy that you caught onto Abigail's unreliability :) Your feedback is greatly appreciated!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Alexa K
22:11 Sep 06, 2020

I loved the light humor at the beginning about the show it added some comedy to the dark story.

Reply

Meggy House
01:16 Sep 07, 2020

Thank you! I'm happy you noticed the contrast--I was worried it hadn't come through, and I'm so pleased to see you felt the difference.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Karen Johnson
21:20 Sep 06, 2020

I liked this fast-paced story with the twist at the end. Your main character went from likeable to criminal in a hurry. I enjoy your work. Keep at it!

Reply

Meggy House
01:16 Sep 07, 2020

Thank you so much! Your compliments are greatly appreciated, and I will update you when I have another story ready :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mark D
02:41 Sep 06, 2020

Ewww. That was dark. Clever, well-written, and dark. I didn't see that twist coming. Sorry, those twists. That Abigail is paying Alma and that Alma is only 14 doing this to protect her family. The only thing I would suggest is to maybe describe a little more about the comedy news station and why a great detective could get suckered into making an appearance. There's some small allusion to it when you say it's a mystery Abigail couldn't solve. That would be a good place for a little blurb about that AND emphasize her investigativ...

Reply

Meggy House
11:48 Sep 06, 2020

Thank you so much! Your feedback is very helpful: I'll be editing right now!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rambling Beth
22:06 Sep 05, 2020

This was great! You kept a great pace throughout and threw us straight in, which I really liked. I loved the twist - Abigail is a fascinating character. Looking forward to more of your work.

Reply

Meggy House
22:27 Sep 05, 2020

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
20:20 Sep 05, 2020

This was an amazing story! I really liked the conversation that Alma and Abigail had at the end of the story. I never would have expected that Abigail would be hiring a killer for her cases, and especially that Alma would be so young. It really shows how far people are willing to go in desperate times, especially when family is at stake.

Reply

Meggy House
21:02 Sep 05, 2020

Thank you! I'm so happy you caught that and enjoyed the twist! I hoped I hadn't made it too obvious, so I'm really glad you were surprised!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Madhuleka Iyer
19:09 Sep 05, 2020

The story had an unexpected twist... It was well written. Just one thing, I would suggest shortening your sentences. I believe that it would build up tension. Keep writing and all the best.

Reply

Meggy House
20:57 Sep 05, 2020

Thank you for your insight! I will definitely edit and see what I can shorten. Thank you for responding!

Reply

Madhuleka Iyer
06:58 Sep 06, 2020

You're welcome :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Megan Sutherland
14:23 Sep 05, 2020

Hey Meggy! You're a very descriptive writer- I really enjoyed this. Well done! Megan

Reply

Meggy House
14:27 Sep 05, 2020

Thank you so much! I really appreciate your feedback. Also, unrelated, I find it funny how we've got really similar names :)

Reply

Megan Sutherland
14:28 Sep 05, 2020

Haha yeah :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sjan Evardsson
13:37 Sep 05, 2020

Wow, Abagail is a real piece of work. It's always fun to write a nasty character, especially one that reveals themselves after we've already rooted for them in the beginning! I caught one typo: "she had a nicer home then the majority of New Yorkers" - should be "than." Also, that sentence was a little long. Perhaps it could be broken up some. Overall, good job, fun story! Stay safe and keep writing.

Reply

Meggy House
14:22 Sep 05, 2020

Oh, thank you for catching that! I always struggle with the "then" vs. "then"...something I'll be sure to brush up on! Also, I'll edit the sentence and see how it could be clearer. I'm happy you enjoyed the Abigail twist! I hoped she would come across at first at being earnestly smart then switch to crookedly cruel, and I'm so, so, so glad that was communicated!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Arianna Noelle
13:32 Sep 05, 2020

Wow, this was a great read! I love your vivid use of descriptive language...I felt that I was really walking alongside the main character on her journey. I also like how the story began right at the heart of the action without compromising any important details. Every line was very well-written and it really kept me on my toes, anticipating what would happen next. Keep up the good work!!

Reply

Meggy House
14:24 Sep 05, 2020

Thank you thank you thank you! I'm happy you felt engaged--I tried to keep the story moving but was worried I had sacrificed details, so I'm thankful that you didn't feel that it was bare. Thank you for responding!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Laiba Noor
13:31 Sep 05, 2020

Oh my God..wt a twist..!! I really like this story.. I like these types of story in which climax amazed people.

Reply

Meggy House
14:24 Sep 05, 2020

Thank you :) I like writing stories where the narrators are, at best, morally grey, so I think we'll get along wonderfully.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sunny 🌼
17:22 Oct 08, 2020

Ok so I came and read this story so I could read your newest one. Wow, super cool! Abigail is SUPER intimidating, and I don't know much about Alma yet but she seems like an interesting character too. Oh and I liked the mystery element as well.

Reply

Meggy House
17:53 Oct 08, 2020

Thank you so much! I really appreciate you reading both stories and I'm happy that so far you're enjoying them! Thank you for reading! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.