0 comments

General

“When we got married I didn’t know we would be attending every holiday with your family,” I remark as my wife and I pull into the driveway of her parent’s house. 

“Babe,’ she starts as her eyes roll over to meet mine, ‘It’s only for one evening and it’s not even that bad.” I let out a long sigh as I turn off the ignition and step out of our car. I come around to the other side and open the passenger side door to help my wife out. Even after an eight-hour drive she still looks as beautiful as ever. Her tight blue jeans perfectly hug her hips and her full breasts in her off white sweater give off the vibe of fall in all the right ways. I know I will never get tired of her beauty. 

“What are you staring at?” she asks as my eyes glaze over her body until they meet her dazzling blue eyes. Her mouth is spread into a pearly white smile. I can sense the mischief in her voice.

“Oh, nothing.” I remark as I grab her hand and help her up and out of the car. She smirks at me as she bends over to grab her purse and then shuts the car door. I offer my arm to her and she gingerly takes it. We walk up the short pathway to the door and before we can even ring the doorbell the front door swings open and we are greeted by our adorable little niece, Lorana. “Auntie Mack!” she screams in a shrill voice as she rushes to Mackenzie and gives her a big hug.

“Hi babes!” says Mackenzie with joy in her voice. She scoops Lorana up in her arms for a big hug. There is nothing that brings me more happiness than seeing Mackenzie, shining with glee. Lorana glances up from behind Mackenzie’s shoulder and sees me standing there, her smile seem to grow wider when her eyes meet mine. 

“Uncle Jack!” she screams in Mackenzie’s ear,  causing Mackenzie to abruptly set her down. She runs over to me and wraps her small arms around my leg. By now the rest of the family has arrived in the doorway ushering us into the small, cozy house. Everyone is talking at the same time, firing question after question our way.

“How was your ride up? Have you lost weight? When will we be getting more grandbabies? How’s work going? Did you catch the latest football game?” They keep coming and coming. Eventually, the questions die down and I am guided into the family room with the men, while Mackenzie ventures to the kitchen to help out her grandmother, mother, and sister-in-law with the preparations of our Thanksgiving dinner. 

I get along quite well with Mackenzie’s brother,Gabriell. We have many interests in common and really hit it off at my bachelor party. Gabriell is three years older than Mackenzie and got married a few years ago to Sera. Sera is just as beautiful as she is smart. They have been together for almost five years and had Lorana four years ago. They live in a beautiful house in northern Minnesota.

Mackenzie’s parents, Lewis and Charleen, had their 25th wedding anniversary a couple of months ago. Charleen was thrilled to hear that Mackenzie and I were getting married last May, Lewis not so much. He still thinks of me as “a guy who’s trying to knock up his daughter and then want nothing to do with her or the baby,” which is clearly delusional, as I’ve been with Mackenzie for three years now. 

Mr. and Mrs. Cornwall, Charleen’s parents, are two of the sweetest old folks I’ve ever meet. They had Charleen when they were only 22, so they are still considered “young” as far as old folks go. Along with being super sweet, they are still in the know with everything.

I finally get settled into one of the two big comfy armchairs that occupy the small living room. I’m handed an old fashioned complete with a maraschino cherry, and Lorana hops up on my lap. The rest of the men watch the football game on the television and make small talk as I listen to Lorana talk about an early Christmas gift from her friends back home. She says something about a toy pony,  and instantly I’m no longer thinking about Lorana’s gift, but about Mackenzie. From the armchair I’m sitting in, I have a great view of the kitchen, and a stunning view of Mackenzie. I watch her smiling and laughing with “the girls”. She flawlessly brushes her hair over her shoulder. I’m so lucky to have her in my life. I’m forced back into reality when I feel something poking my cheek.

“Uncle Jack! Uncle Jack, are you listening to me?” Lorana is poking my cheek while I’m lost in thought, thinking about Mackenzie and how thankful I feel to have her in my life.

“Oh, sorry. I was just thinking about something.” I stutter out. My cheeks flush in embarrassment. 

“What are you thinking about?” she asks quizzically, looking up at me with her big green eyes and nudging her head against my shoulder. How could I ever lie to that face?

“I was thinking about your Aunt Mackenzie.” I say as I grab her by her waist and settle her on to my other leg. 

“Why?” she asks. 

“Why not?” I ask back. She looks at me for a second, then nods her head in agreement and begins to play on her tablet.

“Hey,’ I hear as Gabriell comes over and gives me a hard slap on my shoulder, ‘why aren’t you drinking your old fashion?” 

“Sorry man,’ I say ‘I was too busy watching the game and listening to Lorana talk about her new toy pony.” I look down at Lorana who is clearly not paying any attention to me anymore. She has been sucked into her game.

“Gotcha.” remarks Gabriell as he walks over to take his seat. As he does, I see him look to me, then to Mackenzie, then back to me with a wink at the end. That bastard. I smile sheepishly and look down. Of course, he knew I was too busy thinking about his sister. I’m still on my first drink, and Lewis has just poured his fourth. That’s when the drama starts. Technically it starts with the Saints losing the big game,  making him upset. As soon as the first curse word leaves his mouth, little Loranas ears perk up. Sera rushes over with a set of headphones.

“Here honey,’ she coos, ‘why don’t you put these on for a little while? Please go into grandma and grandpas bedroom and watch a movie on your tablet for a bit, OK?” 

“Ok!” says Lorana excitedly as she jumps off my lap and bustles into the bedroom with Sera close behind. Sera gives Lewis the stink eye over her shoulder, which results in Lewis flipping her off as she turns back around. I overhear Charleen tell Mackenzie to take a break while she finishes up the dessert. Mackenzie walks over and takes Lorana’s place on my lap. She’s definitely heavier than Lorana but honestly, I don’t mind, she’s shielding me from Lewis. Mackenzie is use to her father getting drunk and becoming abusive. From a young age, she was exposed to his abusive behavior whenever he drank too much. She told me once that she was still fearful of him but was also used to it. When Sera comes back from the bedroom, she’s Lewis’s first victim. 

“Ya know she’s gonna learn to curse at some point.” 

“Yes,’ replies Sera ‘but not at the young age of 4!” Lewis stands up towering over Sera. Sera acts like she is strong, but on the inside, I know she is scared out of her wits. Lewis glares down on Sera but Sera holds his gaze, not missing a blink.

“Sera,’ says Gabriel sternly, ‘come here.” Slowly, Sera turns her back on Lewis and walks over to the couch Gabriel is sitting on, sitting down next to him, but continuing to hold Lewis’s gaze. As soon as Sera sits down, Gabriel move in towards Sera, trying his best to protect his wife. Just like Mackenzie, Gabriel is used to his father lashing out. But unlike me, he’s not a pussy. I should be strong and protective, be the man I am supposed to be, but instead, here I am, cowering behind my wife, all because of an angry drunk. Lewis lets out a “humph” and slowly sits back down in his recliner. I watch as his eyes scan the room, finally resting on me. He stares at me and lets out a hardy laugh. 

“Ha! Look at you! Hiding behind your own wife! What a pathetic husband!” 

“Dad.” I hear Mackenzie say sternly. I can hear the venom and hatred in her voice. 

“What? I’m just saying if he was a real man he wouldn’t be hiding behind his woman.” 

“Dad, cut it out.” 

“Oh shut up Mackenzie. This doesn’t concern you.” That’s it, no one tells my girl to shut up, especially not her drunk father. I set Mackenzie aside as I stand up and stalk over to her father. 

“Don’t talk to her like that. No one gets to talk to her that way under my watch. Especially not her own father.” 

“Oh lookie here. Mr. big shot is finally standing up to me. Took ya long enough.” 

“Anything else you wish to say?” I ask, feeling uncomfortable with the way things are playing out. 

“Yeah.” He says, standing up and rolling up his sleeves. Oh God, he’s going to kick my ass. Before I know what’s happening, Mackenzie runs over and stands between us.

“Dad stop. Stop doing this. Don’t hurt him.” 

“Get out of the way Mack, I’m not afraid to hurt you or him.” His bloodshot eyes angrily stare into mine, not even bothering to look down at his daughter. 

“I’m not moving until you sit down and relax.” Mackenzie yells. 

“Well, that’s too bad.” Her father lashes out and slaps Mackenzie across the side of her face. Tears spring to her eyes and I feel her shaking body back up into mine. This bastard did not just slap his daughter, the love of my life. Gabriel is by my side in an instant grabbing Mackenzie and pulling her away as she starts to lash out, trying to fight her father. Before I know what I’m doing I feel my hand collide with Lewis’s jaw, feel the crack of bone against bone. He stumbles back into his chair. I’m on top of him in an instant bashing my fists against his chest. I feel a pair of hands grab my shoulders and pull me off of Lewis. Gabriel has now pinned me against the wall. He’s yelling at me but it’s muffled. I look over to the couch to see Sera and Mackenzie wrapped in a hug, both trying to shield each other from the hatred that has filled the room. Charleen comes running out of the kitchen and drops to her knees by her now bloody husband. Finally, I look down to my right and see a scared Loranne, clutching tightly to her teddy bear. Her eyes scan the room and finally they rest on me. What just happened? What did I do? 

November 29, 2019 04:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.