5 comments

Fiction Crime Suspense

Content Warning- Violence

 "Oh God not again, I Can't take this anymore"

  I jerked awake, the room was dark, and the Rileys were yet again yelling at each other. They were bursting out loud at each other. It was 2 am, yesterday it was 3 pm and went on till sunrise.

  I stood and ambled, dazed and sleep-deprived. I stormed towards the window and the Rileys windows were open too, and I could see them yelling at each other one by one, Maureen picked up the beer bottle and thrashed it onto the floor, and Kit did the same with the bedside lamp.

   Excuse me! I have work tomorrow. Can you please stop fighting? I wanted to yell out of the window but I didn't because I couldn't. I was even more terrified of them.

  It wasn't before last week when their two little daughters showed up on my door asking to spend the night here at my house because their parents were quarreling. 

  I did ask those two the reason for so frequent disputes. "I hate my father," said one of them. "He comes home every night drunk and gets into a fight with my mother, at times they are unstoppable"

  I contemplated the consequences of calling the police, not for a noise complaint but domestic violence and the unfit handling of children. 

  KNOCK! KNOCK!

 Who could it be at this hour? I went ahead and looked through the keyhole. I was those two daughters again. Probably they need to sleep here again.

 I unlocked the doorknob. " We are sorry to disturb you but can you please come with us My Mom is in danger, My dad will kill her. Please!" Gabriel knelt on the floor and began to cry with force.

 I picked her up "Ohkay Ohkay calm down both of you, I will come with you" 

 Gabriel and Joanna walked me to their house. Their house was raging with fire. Kit was as high as anyone could be.

"Stop please Stop!

"Excuse me, You stay out of this"

"Your kids are very Scared! You could sort this out in talking"

"No Mrs. Jones, This is what this woman deserves. She is a fucking slut. She slept with not one but two guys before my back" He bellowed "And also in this house, while I was gone away"

"Yes Mr.Riley, I get it but you have no right to hurt her"

"EXCUSE ME!" I was shaking "Who the fuck are you tell me what I am supposed to do or not! Now get the hell out of here" He pointed his fingers towards the door.

Maureen's legs were wobbly with fear. She was frightened down to the soles of her shoes. I wish I could help her. I had been in that situation before. I have witnessed this. I have experienced what those two young girls were going through. 

 I was standing behind the door eavesdropping "Come here you filthy woman," He slammed her against the wall and took his belt, and lashed at her. Maureen yelped

"Save me someone, please! Help!

I knew I couldn't just sit there and watch this happening. There was a tool kit in the corridor. I grabbed the Shovel from inside and went inside and I hit him across the temple. Kit touched his head with the palm of his hand. He looked at the blood trickling down his forehead. He was dead. I had killed him. OMG not again. Oh shit. I knew I was caught up.

 " Oh shit! What have you done Whitney...You k-killed him"

" I am so sorry. I couldn't help it. What are we going to do now? We can't let the police know."

  "But they will come to know anyway. You have no choice but to report yourself to the police. I could speak in your defense." She persisted

  "NO, No Maureen we have to do something. I know something we could do to get rid of him"

   "What?"

  "Come with me!"

   I took her to the basement of the building "Oh my Gosh! Who is he?" Maureen was stunned 

 "He-he is my dad," I said 

 Maureen was stunned. "So why-why is he here like this?" She stammered "So-does it means that you-u killed him?"

"Yes I did but it's not what you think, let me explain it"

She backed off "Who the hell are you? Stay away from me-"She was angry.

"Listen just calm down" I tried to get hold of her

"No, I think you are some serial killer. Going around killing people I am going to call the police and you will be in jail by tomorrow. Do you get that?"

"Please Don't, I tried to help you and you are turning back on me" I screamed. She had run upstairs by that time. 

  The police could be on their way at any time. I had to do something. I went back to my apartment and locked it.

Knock! Knock!. It was half-past 4. I unlocked the door and there she was, Maureen with a red-headed police officer and a stout assistant half-sleep.

Maureen looked surprised and unspeakable "Who are you? Where is Whitney?" She asked me.

"Excuse me, I think you are at the wrong place. There is no Whitney here. I am Sarah James."

"Ahh...Don't try to fool me" Maureen Snapped at me.

"Inspector, I think there is a big misunderstanding."

"Maureen, What's wrong?" She said to her.

"A woman was living in this apartment who had killed her dad and had put him in the basement of this building. I guess she ran away...I am sorry to disturb you this late." 

"It's alright! I hope you find that woman" I smiled. 

"But Inspector the girl whom I told you about is the same woman that killed my husband half an hour ago and she came from this apartment. I think you should take a check"

"If you don't mind Miss"

"It's alright," I said

The red-headed inspector strolled and looked around my whole apartment even under the bed but it was all clean. "There's nothing in here. Now I would first like to check out the body of the victim" said the red-headed police officer.

I had gone with them. Kits body was still lying on the floor surrounded by a pool of blood. It terrified me

"Can you tell me what had exactly happened?" Inspector said

Maureen narrated the whole story from start to finish. "So basically that woman saved you from him."

"Yes, and then she took me to the basement where she had kept the dad's dead body since last year"

"OMG, that's a crazy woman I see." She said while she noted down the points in her small notebook "I would like all my assistant to go and take a look at the basement"

He came back in 10 minutes. "There is nothing down there in the basement inspector. It's all clean."

"What Nonsense!" Said Maureen. "You must be blind"

"So" Inspector began "It could either mean that you have killed your husband and is trying to blame some other woman. Am I right Mrs. Maureen Riley"

"No Inspector...you have to believe me—" Maureen said

"Right now, you are in custody, Miss. You will speak in court now.

Maureen looked at me with a disgusting face while she was being handcuffed. She had dug out her own graveyard.

I then went back to my apartment and transferred 1000$ to the assistant and then slowly removed my face mask and went back to sleep.

June 07, 2021 17:03

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

Mohamed Sarfan
20:39 Jun 17, 2021

Dear Writer, 'Never dig your own grave' is such a beautiful phrase that the title of this story made me want to read it. "Life" is a story, screenplay and movement that varies from person to person. When you smile others may be swimming into something life affair; Conversely, when I am in tears others may be seeking life laughter. Life is so much more difficult than a war for many that it differs in so many ways as money, material, wealth, degree, position. On the contrary, the life of a few surrenders into peace. The reader's thanks to the...

Reply

Simran Hirani
06:57 Jun 18, 2021

Thank you for writing such a thoughtful comment on each of my stories, really appreciate that. Its really amazing you look at each and every story with such a deep perspective, With so much depth that infact while writing as well I mustn't haven't looked into such details. I just keep pantsing the story but now I shall will look into much more depth. Thank you very much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kathleen `Woods
16:56 Jun 15, 2021

well this was interesting. Thanks for writing!

Reply

Simran Hirani
18:07 Jun 15, 2021

Welcome🖤...I hope you enjoyed it.

Reply

Kathleen `Woods
02:16 Jun 16, 2021

it was a very short sequence of events, but everyone's recognizable, I definitely enjoyed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.